Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
For DoD employees the furlough is over, but apparently RIF's are on the table if this sequestration nonsense doesn't get sorted out.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/407/3430538/Report-Thousands-of-DoD-civilians-could-face-layoffs-in-2014

This part of the article had me scratching my head:

quote:

The Pentagon could be forced to cut 1,500 individuals from Defense agencies, with the majority of dismissals coming from the Defense Contract Management Agency. The Army and Navy could cut more than 2,100 and 2,672, from their respective civilian workforces, according to Bloomberg.

Wasn't DCMA hiring like mad awhile back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Delorence Fickle posted:

For DoD employees the furlough is over, but apparently RIF's are on the table if this sequestration nonsense doesn't get sorted out.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/407/3430538/Report-Thousands-of-DoD-civilians-could-face-layoffs-in-2014

Well, I got hired with them 4 months ago, along with like 12 other people at our office.

Also, a quick look at USAjobs shows that they're still hiring for about 150 positions.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Are those real positions, or restricted to within-the-agency hires? We're advertising a bunch of positions right now but it's all a zero sum gain because we can't hire anyone who's not already working for us.

Delorence Fickle posted:

Sequestration = no money to contract with anyhow. So, contracting jobs make the most sense to cut first. Then a budget will get passed and billions will be dumped on poorly written contract with zero oversight because we RIFed all the contract people. Then over the next few months after that we'll hire back all the rifed workers who weren't good enough to get other jobs and a shitload of new people in another mad frenzy, taking the bad with the good, and end up with a new permanant workforce full of incompetents we can't get rid of. Hooray for congress!

grover fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 26, 2013

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

A number of them are, yeah. But there's still a pretty significant amount open to "US Citizens", about 50. And there's an equally significant number that are "from other Federal Agency".

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Justus posted:

Well, I got hired with them 4 months ago, along with like 12 other people at our office.

Also, a quick look at USAjobs shows that they're still hiring for about 150 positions.

The secret way governments "cut" jobs is just stop offering open positions for a while.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

sbaldrick posted:

The secret way governments "cut" jobs is just stop offering open positions for a while.

They expect that during that time, employees will quit/die/retire, and if the pool of employees you're talking about is large enough, this will happen. Assuming the average hiring rate after the cuts is not higher than before, it is a cut.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Gravel Gravy posted:

The clearance was done through DoS originally so hopefully that won't be too big an issue.

That would be a pretty big con in my mind. Any idea why that is?

Also I'd like to say the name of the office alone might be worth it given what I hope to do, keywords/buzz words and all that.

If you'd be working where I think you'd be working, it should be pretty awesome.

Justus posted:

Attrition hiring.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

They expect that during that time, employees will quit/die/retire, and if the pool of employees you're talking about is large enough, this will happen. Assuming the average hiring rate after the cuts is not higher than before, it is a cut.

Almost half of all employees in a lot of government agencies will be eligible to retire in the next 3 years, so we're going to end up with a humorous situation where there's a bunch of 20 somethings and a bunch of 50 somethings and nothing inbetween.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Leif. posted:

If you'd be working where I think you'd be working, it should be pretty awesome.

What would you guess?

Edit: HR lady got back to me on disclosure. I'll be working in Diplomatic Security.

So from this package I just received, it looks like the position only requires a secret, and not my TS. Kinda lame.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 29, 2013

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

psydude posted:

Almost half of all employees in a lot of government agencies will be eligible to retire in the next 3 years, so we're going to end up with a humorous situation where there's a bunch of 20 somethings and a bunch of 50 somethings and nothing inbetween.

It's really a bunch of 60 something that won't retire and a bunch of 30 somethings that wish they would so they can get out of the entry level slot and bump up to let in the 20 somethings (this is my life)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Actually, you're going to see a shitload of retirements.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/federal-retirements/

My boss retired today. No post retirement job. Just tired of it all at this point I think.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Actually, you're going to see a shitload of retirements.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/federal-retirements/

My boss retired today. No post retirement job. Just tired of it all at this point I think.

My agency is the 2nd highest with retirement eligibles on that chart. I can easily believe it from just glancing around HQ.

In my division, we have quite a few people who have been working for over 40 years. We had our division secretary retire earlier this year after 43 years and haven't opened a job announcement for her replacement.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Gravel Gravy posted:

What would you guess?

Edit: HR lady got back to me on disclosure. I'll be working in Diplomatic Security.

So from this package I just received, it looks like the position only requires a secret, and not my TS. Kinda lame.

Ah nevermind, I was guessing INR.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Leif. posted:

Ah nevermind, I was guessing INR.

That was my second choice, but glad to have gotten my first.

Also the HR rep sent me a list of possible tasks I may end up doing. Surprised that they seem fairly legit, though I'm sure I'll end up getting some food/beverage service experience as well.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

NintyFresh posted:

My agency is the 2nd highest with retirement eligibles on that chart. I can easily believe it from just glancing around HQ.

In my division, we have quite a few people who have been working for over 40 years. We had our division secretary retire earlier this year after 43 years and haven't opened a job announcement for her replacement.

Can we drown it in a bathtub yet?

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

NintyFresh posted:

Do you think that they're still effective in their jobs? It seems like any agency with so many people who've been in that long will become incredibly top-heavy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The answer is no, we have have two guys in my department who between them have 92 years of service (48 and 44).

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

sbaldrick posted:

The answer is no, we have have two guys in my department who between them have 92 years of service (48 and 44).

Jesus H Christ...even freakin 4 star generals are required to retire after 40 years service unless specifically appointed to serve longer. I know general officers are more akin to SES and thus not really comparable with GS but still those motherfuckers need to :frogout:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Seamonster posted:

Jesus H Christ...even freakin 4 star generals are required to retire after 40 years service unless specifically appointed to serve longer. I know general officers are more akin to SES and thus not really comparable with GS but still those motherfuckers need to :frogout:

Yeah, okay I'm happy that I work for an up or out ( with an out for age, TIC, and TIG)

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

sbaldrick posted:

I don't get why people in that position don't just retire. They're under the old pension system, right? Why stay at work when they can earn most of their salary off fishing or doing something else?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

more friedman units posted:

I don't get why people in that position don't just retire. They're under the old pension system, right? Why stay at work when they can earn most of their salary off fishing or doing something else?

Their job is their identity and the only foundation for their self-worth.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

Baby's first NOR and referral to hiring manager. 1 for 1 so far with 9 other applications in processing.

Only took them a month since the application closed...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

sbaldrick posted:

I'm going to have 46 years gov service before I'm eligible for full retirement benefits :cry:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

VideoTapir posted:

Their job is their identity and the only foundation for their self-worth.

It is for one of them, all he does it go to work, go to a poo poo dinner for dinner and go to a bar. The other one has a wife that's 12 years younger and he can't retire till she does.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

NintyFresh posted:

My agency also exceeds the average listed on that chart. I have one colleague who was hired at the age of 19 and worked for the department under its first Secretary.

My Branch Chief refuses to retire and has not put any internal guidance/policies/etc. in writing in the past 10 years or so, if not longer. She's a walking encyclopedia and as a result would be a huge loss (truth be told) to our agency if she were to go, but only due to her approach at job security.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That sounds about right for 75% of federal managers I've dealt with across two agencies.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Yet if she were to retire, nothing would change. It's not like your branch would go "Oh no, Shelia's gone. Everyone go home."

I hate managers like that. Your job as a manager is to train others to take over your job. It's not like you're getting fired with the government if you do your job. Most of the time, when an employee retires on Friday, everyone has forgotten you by Monday.

On a separate note, I want this guy's SES job.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...b3a8_story.html

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

psydude posted:

That sounds about right for 75% of federal managers I've dealt with across two agencies.

At least for State, if you're dealing with Foreign Service managers, this is normally not the case.

We rotate every 1-3 years and, at least overseas, something the OIG looks for is SOPs and other written documentation on performing major job responsibilities. I've not done a domestic tour yet though so I don't know how well that holds up in CONUS.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

Baby's first NOR and referral to hiring manager. 1 for 1 so far with 9 other applications in processing.

Only took them a month since the application closed...

Complaining about one month between closing and referral :allears:

I applied as a Secretary Honors Program Policy Fellow with DHS back in November 12 2012. App closed November 29, 2012 with no updates since. Other highlights include a job with General Services Admin. I applied to back May 21 of this year, just updated today saying the announcement was cancelled.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TCD posted:

At least for State, if you're dealing with Foreign Service managers, this is normally not the case.

We rotate every 1-3 years and, at least overseas, something the OIG looks for is SOPs and other written documentation on performing major job responsibilities. I've not done a domestic tour yet though so I don't know how well that holds up in CONUS.

I was strictly under CS managers, so I don't know how FS rolls in that regard.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
poo poo, even without the scamming, that seems like an awesome job.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Complaining about one month between closing and referral :allears:

I applied as a Secretary Honors Program Policy Fellow with DHS back in November 12 2012. App closed November 29, 2012 with no updates since. Other highlights include a job with General Services Admin. I applied to back May 21 of this year, just updated today saying the announcement was cancelled.

Why don't you just call them up and ask what the status of those openings are?

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

Why don't you just call them up and ask what the status of those openings are?

:effort: mostly. Having it be stuck at "application received" for this long seems like a good sign they're out of money and putting the application process in a holding pattern as long as they can.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I took an online test for an IRS contact representative position. I think I did pretty well on the Q/A session but the data entry was marred by some poor (read: hilariously bad) responses to keystrokes and I hosed up one or two instances. Should I send an email about this or would it reflect poorly on me? I can grin and bear it if giving notice wouldn't help me but I'd hate to think I missed out on an opportunity because I got too flustered trying to bang in a letter to catch a full zip code.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

I took an online test for an IRS contact representative position. I think I did pretty well on the Q/A session but the data entry was marred by some poor (read: hilariously bad) responses to keystrokes and I hosed up one or two instances. Should I send an email about this or would it reflect poorly on me? I can grin and bear it if giving notice wouldn't help me but I'd hate to think I missed out on an opportunity because I got too flustered trying to bang in a letter to catch a full zip code.

Huh, I applied for one of those positions. Haven't received any notice of a test to take... that seems like a bad sign. Good luck with your application, though!

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Gonna be a lot of unhappy folks with this development.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...889d_story.html

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hmm, I am finally at the six-month-mark given that I started Spamming federal applications in March. Nothing has yet popped up from the Long Game, though I will remain optimistic. Particularly since I have gotten at least a dozen "forwarded to hiring official" messages mixed in with the dozens of "just kidding, position cancelled" and "why did you even apply?" messages.

As for the Secret Service Special Agent thing, I did pass the written test. I had moved across the country in the meantime, though, so though I would have taken the physical test three weeks ago normally, they are still working on rescheduling it for me. I am not complaining about the extra weeks I have had to actually get myself in good enough shape to have a chance to pass, though.

(I did say I could fly back into Seattle to take the test, incidentally, the Agent I worked with was the one who was all "oh no, that is dumb, we can move the test for you;" much more accommodating than I was expecting)

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
:hfive:

Passed the Customs written test with a 97, now I get to wait for OPM to totally gently caress up the task of processing my electronically submitted documents. Got an e-mail from CBP with attached PDFs that I filled out so I could print them, scan them, and upload them to OPM's dumb USA Test Manager site. Favorite part was one of the documents was not even listed under the dropdown category box despite having a designator all over the documents themselves. "Other" document category is the lucky winner!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
How irrational is it to just quit out of every application that requires you to make an entirely new profile, including entering all of your education and work history using drop-down menus for which shortcut keys do not even work?

I understand that "spending an hour doing something annoying now could mean an amazing new future," but when you feel like you have a 25% chance of ever even hearing back about the job, let alone the 0.02% chance of actually getting it, it feels as poor a use of time as playing the lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Quarex posted:

How irrational is it to just quit out of every application that requires you to make an entirely new profile, including entering all of your education and work history using drop-down menus for which shortcut keys do not even work?

I understand that "spending an hour doing something annoying now could mean an amazing new future," but when you feel like you have a 25% chance of ever even hearing back about the job, let alone the 0.02% chance of actually getting it, it feels as poor a use of time as playing the lottery.

If you're using that time to apply to things with a better chance of success I'd say that's the most intelligent thing to do, and it punishes the offenders by ensuring that the smartest candidates aren't applying for their job.