Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'll be getting at least one cacodemon, but pain elementals are pieces of poo poo and deserve to stay homeless so I won't be buying one :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'll be getting at least one cacodemon, but pain elementals are pieces of poo poo and deserve to stay homeless so I won't be buying one :colbert:

Get both or go home! That pain elemental looks so cute :3:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I abandoned making engines for Quake in 2002. I think is great that theres still some people interested in the game, and.. I am sure theres still active QuakeWorld communities around :D

The other day I was thinking of black bikinis
(like this one http://i.imgur.com/FRWeXj4.jpg )

And trough, maybe we can make a non-naked version of the shambler.
http://i.imgur.com/7StolNi.gif

So here is, the Shambler, with a black bikini.

Here is my engine.
http://telejano.berlios.de/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Despite my current avatar I like the Pain Elemental one better. :3:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Yodzilla posted:

Despite my current avatar I like the Pain Elemental one better. :3:

I agree and think the design (of the toy) is just better than the one for the cacodemon.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
Since I'm such a cacodemon fan I had to buy two but despite loathing pain elementals he just looks so drat happy as a plush.

How could somebody not give him a home?! Don't make me be the crazy cat lady of pain elemental plushes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alright fine I'll get one of each if you all promise to stop guilt-tripping me :mad:

Not really because I'm kind of hard for money right now

EDIT: Especially considering shipping to Canada doubles the price :negative:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 2, 2013

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
Oh I'm hard up for money right now too but when was the last time plush cacodemons or pain elementals were available for purchase? What if they sell out like the figurine collection? :gonk:

Edit: I've always wondered why there were never Doom action figures in the stores. One of the best selling games of all time gets nothing, yet walk down an aisle of Toys R Us and you'll find tons of action figures from every other type of game and horror movie from the last 20 years. What?

mister negative fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 2, 2013

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
How long has Bethesda had the rights to Doom, anyway?

Also, That cacodemon doesn't look caco enough. I like the pain elementals though, lookit dat meetball. There was a sale on some other stuff, so I also bought a fallout vault 101 hoody. Can't wait!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

QwertySanchez posted:

How long has Bethesda had the rights to Doom, anyway?

Also, That cacodemon doesn't look caco enough. I like the pain elementals though, lookit dat meetball. There was a sale on some other stuff, so I also bought a fallout vault 101 hoody. Can't wait!

4(?) years. They bought id back in 2009.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Bought a caco and a pain elemental. How the hell did the $200 figurines sell out? Way too rich for my blood.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bethesda is going to have my soul if they keep throwing Doom merchandise like the caco and pain elemental ones. Now give me a proper Doom guy figurine with the super shotgun... I'm not going to admit what I'd pay for that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guillermus posted:

Bethesda is going to have my soul if they keep throwing Doom merchandise like the caco and pain elemental ones. Now give me a proper Doom guy figurine with the super shotgun... I'm not going to admit what I'd pay for that.

It's a shame those pewter figurines only came in a $200 set because I would have paid top dollar* for that Cyberdemon :allears:

* but still significantly less than $200.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
I wanted to make a huge deal out of how much business they were losing over not offering the figures separately but then they went and sold them out in no time. :magical:

Maybe the figures combined with these plushes doing well will convince Bethesda that those of us growing up playing Doom have money to spend on useless figures and stuffed toys (or at least a line of credit). Dammit.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
My kingdom for a Quake Marine action figure. Or a Shambler, I'm not picky.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Someone wanted the perfect figure to plan some Tabletop D&D RPG session. With a Cyberdemon.

Eat it wizards, Cyberdemons are immune to your fireball's splash damage :smug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's these little vinyl toys that were released a while back, but they're not entirely the same thing.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Johnny Law posted:

My kingdom for a Quake Marine action figure. Or a Shambler, I'm not picky.

Ages ago a company called Resaurus did a wave of Quake 2 figures which were pretty awesome. Before they went under they had a prototype Shambler made in anticipation for wave 2:

Still got my Quake 2 marine (with Hyperblaster!) sitting on my shelf to this day; I will always treasure his perpetual constipated grimace.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I just want me a mancubus, always my favourite enemy in doom. Though a pinky demon wouldn't get turned down.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

QwertySanchez posted:

I just want me a mancubus, always my favourite enemy in doom. Though a pinky demon wouldn't get turned down.

You could make a pretty sweet reading pillow out of a Mancubus or an Arachnatron brain.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
For one reason or another this popped into my consciousness from the mists of time. I seem to remember the demo being rather good - anyone have any recollections/a working copy?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rather Dashing posted:

For one reason or another this popped into my consciousness from the mists of time. I seem to remember the demo being rather good - anyone have any recollections/a working copy?

That is one of the very, very few games to ever receive a positive score from the SA front page review section.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Holy crap that is way more sinister than the goofy looking thing that ended up being in Quake.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Yodzilla posted:

Holy crap that is way more sinister than the goofy looking thing that ended up being in Quake.

Wasn't the Shambler a yeti creature?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

It was a Lovecraftian monstrosity. It always had the faceless maw thing going on, it was just hard to see because the polycount and texture resolution were so low.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I'd love to see someone do a nice detailed 3D model of that for Quake source-ports. It fits the aesthetic much better than the original.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yeah, Romero claims its supposed to be hairy, but, well, Romero.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Yeah, Romero claims its supposed to be hairy, but, well, Romero.

Don't name him a thrid time in the same sentence or he'll appear behind you. :haw:

On a more serious note, call me whatever but now I want a huge Cyberdemon and a BFG replica for my videogame shelf. That or Quake stuff.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Guillermus posted:

Don't name him a thrid time in the same sentence or he'll appear behind you. :haw:

He'll just mention you on his blog. I remember BSing with a friend about Daikatana Source and how I was totally gonna do it, and the next day Romero posts "I hear some rumblings about Daikatana Source!!"

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Guillermus posted:

On a more serious note, call me whatever but now I want a huge Cyberdemon and a BFG replica for my videogame shelf.

You can sort of accomplish that latter request:

Sort of.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the shambler is based on one of the lovecraftian monsters (the dimensional shambler) that sandy petersen wrote about in the old call of cthulhu pen and paper game books he worked on. i don't have them to hand anymore but a lot of the illustrations for the monsters in one of the older editions are almost exact matches to quake monster.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ChickenHeart posted:

You can sort of accomplish that latter request:

Sort of.

What the hell is this thing? :confused:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

It's the BFG from the Doom movie. It was a loving awesome action flick, but it was a pretty bad Doom adaptation.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

It's a shame that isn't for sale anymore, though, because I would give out so much stupid amounts of cash money for a BFG replica. Even if it's just the movie.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's the BFG from the Doom movie. It was a loving awesome action flick, but it was a pretty bad Doom adaptation.

Ah. I don't remember because the first and last time I saw that movie was in a theater :v:.

It kind of looks like the BFG10k from Skulltag.

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008

Rather Dashing posted:

Ohhh, I really enjoyed this game, even though it was both very cheesy and buggy. The final boss creeped the hell out of me.

Still have the disk around somewhere; I should dig it out and see how well it works on windows 7...

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Rather Dashing posted:

I have it, and it is pretty good overall. It's a bit weird in that it's mostly an old-school, not-all-that-linear shooter, but it often takes the arena-shooter approach of sending big waves of weak enemies at you. The Starbearer's chapter, being intended as the first, is a bit meh in terms of gameplay but nicely designed, and the Beastking's is overall kind of boring. The Celestial's and Demon's chapters are awesome, particularly the train station in the Demon's chapter.

Melee is surprisingly effective and fun to use, particularly against the aforementioned waves of weak mooks, though the Demon's axe is kinda frustratingly slow. The regular weapons are all rather nice, except I thought the chaingun was a bit underwhelming. I found myself mostly using the Scourge whip, because I prefer to attack at long range, and it's the only hitscan player weapon. (Yeah, hitscan whip. In terms of FPS weapons, the Scourge functions more like a rifle. A rifle you can swing from hooks with.) I don't even remember how the Starbearer and Beastking's ultimate weapons work, they either kinda suck or I just wasn't using them correctly. The Celestial's and Demon's ultimates are wonderful though: The Demon's is a dragon that belches out a stream of lava, and the Celestial's is a black hole gun, which should need no further explanation.

The only thing is, the game is loosely based on a comic book series, which is in turn loosely based on Kiss's stage personas. Someone who goes into it just expecting a Kiss-themed game will likely be very confused.

Svecke posted:

Still have the disk around somewhere; I should dig it out and see how well it works on windows 7...
It works fine for me!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mak0rz posted:

It's the Bio-Force Gun. :jerkbag:

The Doom movie was loving terrible by any sense of the word.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rather Dashing posted:

A few years ago I was in California and I went thrift shopping with my aunt. One of the thrift stores had two big box copies of that. I wanted to get them, but I'd already borrowed some money from her to pick up Romance of the Three Kingdoms (which were really loving expensive and I ended up trading them in for a different version that used Pinyin instead of Wade-Giles, so that loving sucked) so I didn't get them. Probably one of my bigger regrets. When I came back the next year they were gone.

Also that Shambler looks loving awesome and the Doom movie was a fun, but bad, movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

RyokoTK posted:

It's the Bio-Force Gun. :jerkbag:

The Doom movie was loving terrible by any sense of the word.

I misremembered it as "Bio Field Generator" or something and I still feel like that'd be a lot better "legit" name than "Bio-Force Gun".

Still no "Big F**king Gun", though.