Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Supercar Gautier posted:

What are you referring to here? 3D World isn't a remake/port.

No, but that makes the fact that it looks so similar even less excusable. When it first turned up on Nintendo Direct I thought it was a 3DS sequel. When they said it was for Wii U I was stunned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would have to disagree with scotties assessment on Wii U vs PS4/Xbone. I am skeptical that the more "hardcore" gamers are going to want a PS4/Xbone. I think a number of them will be switching over to PC. Just some reasons

- PCs don't break as often and are easier to repair than 360/PS3, and so far presumably PS4/Xbone
- If you get a console on release and another after it breaks, PC becomes cheaper
- Despite this PCs outperform consoles in every way, shape, and form
- Console games can be played on PC one way or another. Some PC games just can't be brought to the console.
- Steam became way more popular since the launch of 360/PS3
- Everything is always backwards compatible, and you don't have to get new input devices.
- Overall there's greater freedom from choosing which devices I want to run to how the machine operates with the PC.

I had a 360, and all of my friends had either 360/PS3. All of us had one or the other break. Some of us got new ones, the majority, myself included, decided to move to the PC as our primary game machine.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Who are the "most people" you're referring to here? The handful who have actually thrown down money on a WiiU? The first-time console buyers who made up the bulk of Wii buyers who put the thing in a closet after Obama took office and never took it back out? The GameCube owners who didn't want to buy a Playstation2 and ended up getting a 360 a few years later?

I'm thinking of parents buying systems for kids asking for Nintendo games; people who go with Nintendo just because it's what they're familiar with or what they think their kids will like. The Wii U isn't helping maintain that audience with its terrible marketing and its high price, true, but it's better for Nintendo to have that out there than just give up on the console market entirely and lose that potential chunk of profits for good.

Mandrel posted:

As for TW101, I keep seeing this reaction when it's compared to Pikmin, and I can't figure out if you're being deliberately obtuse about it or if you honestly don't see the similarities. They're similar games, they play similarly and have the same feel. It's not comparable to "third person shooter" in terms of how it strikes the average consumer because it's a very niche game-style that only suits itself to really esoteric concepts, so when the only two games that represent whatever genre it's supposed to be are two of the only first-party titles available on a console it seems kind of obvious why people draw comparisons.

It doesn't play anything like Pikmin. I can agree that it looks similar enough on the surface to confuse people who don't read up on it, though.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Safety Scissors posted:

I would have to disagree with scotties assessment on Wii U vs PS4/Xbone. I am skeptical that the more "hardcore" gamers are going to want a PS4/Xbone. I think a number of them will be switching over to PC. Just some reasons

- PCs don't break as often and are easier to repair than 360/PS3, and so far presumably PS4/Xbone
- If you get a console on release and another after it breaks, PC becomes cheaper
- Console games can be played on PC one way or another. Some PC games just can't be brought to the console.
- Overall there's greater freedom from choosing which devices I want to run to how the machine operates with the PC.

I had a 360, and all of my friends had either 360/PS3. All of us had one or the other break. Some of us got new ones, the majority, myself included, decided to move to the PC as our primary game machine.

People who post on the SA Games forum and their friends aren't anywhere near the majority of "hardcore gamers", which is a pretty useless umbrella term that encompasses people who only buy Madden, Fifa, and COD every year along with people who actively search out import copies of Xenoblade and build their own gaming PCs.

PCs don't have hardware faults as often, but there's a widespread assumption (possibly justified) that they crash a lot more than consoles and need a lot of tech support. People also think you need to pay over a grand to play the latest games, which if you include stuff like a decent monitor and speakers etc is almost but not quite true. You'll also never see Halo or Uncharted on PC, and those games sell consoles by themselves. A lot of people don't even know Steam exists or even care about freedom to choose as far as software and devices go.

PC gaming is definitely on an upswing, but it's probably not going to overtake consoles until something pretty serious happens to AAA game development

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Safety Scissors posted:

- Everything is always backwards compatible, and you don't have to get new input devices.

I haven't bought a console since GC/PS2 and vastly prefer PC gaming but a considerable number of people consider PC gaming too fiddly and prefer the plug-and-play 'just works' aspects of consoles. Even if you could argue whether that's really true or not, it's the perception that counts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sweetgrass posted:

A small note simply because I find this talking point irksome, but this really isn't the silver bullet people think it is. It's probably fair to be dismissive of the Xbox brand for this reason simply because MS has really abandoned any commit they had to both their first/second party titles and indies, but Sony has a strong reputation for great games with a pretty wide array of developers who have been making content equally well crafted and even as iconic as the big Nintendo games in the best case and providing a wide array of quality if niche titles across multiple genres.
I think it would be pretty dangerous to dismiss Xbox as a brand because Microsoft has already proven that they will spend themselves into the red on marketing to get the drat Xbox into every home in America. Microsoft will outspend anyone in promotion.

I think Microsoft you have on one end of the marketing spectrum, and then Firefly on the other end of the spectrum, and then right after Firefly is Nintendo.

The lack of advertising in the primest spots and not playing to certain demographics is one of the biggest things killing Wii U at this moment. All of their TV ads, to this point, have been primarily aimed at children, and the parents of those children don't know that the Wii U is a new system, so it is essentially worthless promotion.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Yeah, "hardcore" gamer really is a misnomer and covers casual gamers who like "hardcore" games like GTA and Halo and only buy a couple games a year, who will definitely not be bothering with building and managing a gaming PC.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Safety Scissors posted:

And there are plenty of good exclusives for both consoles which will never be released on PC. Anyway in my experience most console gamers are not in the least bit interested in PC gaming. People are happy enough getting a console and playing it on the HDTV in their living room, even if that is possible with a PC, why bother when a console will do just fine. I see no reason to expect people will be switching to PC exclusively en masse from now on.

e: Also maybe i'm lucky but i've never had a console break, i've only owned Nintendo and Sony consoles though.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Oh no, you misunderstand, I'm not dismissing the Xbox *brand*, for exactly the reasons you say. I'm only pointing out they come closer to fitting the common talking point of not having a lot of unique or exclusive games; I don't think it's a very controversial statement to say you don't really buy an Xbox product on the strength of their first party lineup the way you do with Nintendo or Sony, at least not anymore that the well has dried up on that kind of content for the brand.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I think it's fairly safe to say, going by the demo and some of the videos that people have put out showcasing the game, that Wonderful 101 is a solid 10/10 game on the level of Bayonetta.
I think its safe to say, based on its 79 on Metacritic, no its not.

I'm not saying review scores are the be all end all, but when you're saying "this game is the reviewer pleasing game the WiiU needs", you might wanna check if the reviewers like it.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Maybe the full game is significantly worse than the demo. But Journey and Shadow of the Colossus are definitely nowhere near being 10/10 games. Journey especially is more of a 4 - having a few rough edges is still preferable to having nothing.

I will gouge out your eyes and dance on your skull.

Safety Scissors posted:

You're allowed to make this case as soon as my Steam copy of Stubbs the Zombie actually loving runs on my brand new top-of-the-line computer. Until then, I'd suggest you get off your high horse.

Oh and, kindly remind me when the PC version of Everyone's Gone To The Rapture is scheduled for release?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Safety Scissors posted:

I can play Pikmin 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 and Infamous 2 on a PC?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sweetgrass posted:

Oh no, you misunderstand, I'm not dismissing the Xbox *brand*, for exactly the reasons you say. I'm only pointing out they come closer to fitting the common talking point of not having a lot of unique or exclusive games; I don't think it's a very controversial statement to say you don't really buy an Xbox product on the strength of their first party lineup the way you do with Nintendo or Sony, at least not anymore that the well has dried up on that kind of content for the brand.

I agree with this, with an asterisk for console sim racing. Polyphony's one release (so far) for the PS3 was basically a collection of new car models tacked on to their previous release for the PS2, with a lot of that game's problems still intact. Microsoft and Turn 10 really took advantage of that with their bi-annual Forza product. I know a few people who bought PS3s for Gran Turismo, which launched more than three years later, that are now buying XBox Ones for Forza 5, which is launching with the console and it's fair to say will be iterated two years later. Beyond that, though, Microsoft does have an exclusive problem. Gears of War has run its course and Halo hasn't been relevant since 2007. If Titanfall gains traction they would be well served by just writing whatever check they need to write to keep it on XBox.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

Not by that much though. Live and PSN still overshadow Steam. Supposedly Xbox Live by as much as 20 million plus users during its busiest hours.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

TheScott2K posted:

Beyond that, though, Microsoft does have an exclusive problem. Gears of War has run its course and Halo hasn't been relevant since 2007. If Titanfall gains traction they would be well served by just writing whatever check they need to write to keep it on XBox.

I'm not sure how much traction or cash the fighting game community is going to get them, but I know a couple of people who are begrudgingly buying Xboxes after trying the Killer Instinct demo at Evo. Probably a small piece of the pie, but they could be served well by snatching up more exclusives in a genre that, to date, has typically been almost entirely multi-console. The only problem there is shopping around for Western devs that want to make fighters, since aside from Double Helix and Netherrealm, fighting games are still very much dominated by Japanese developers and it seems very unlikely they would go exclusive for XB1.

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 3, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

I think its safe to say, based on its 79 on Metacritic, no its not.

I'm not saying review scores are the be all end all, but when you're saying "this game is the reviewer pleasing game the WiiU needs", you might wanna check if the reviewers like it.

I will gouge out your eyes and dance on your skull.

I never said anything about it being the game that'll make everyone run out and buy a Wii U, just that it's the kind of high-quality game the Wii U needs more of.

And as trite as it sounds, I don't think it's a good idea to use reviews to judge a game like this. Even the positive reviews barely have anything meaningful to say about the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with the "everyone should buy a PC argument" is that, while PCs have tons of advantages, they also have annoying disadvantages. It's possible to buy a PC game and, through no fault of your own, discover it is unplayable even with the recommended specs. PCs, at the best, far outclass consoles by a significant degree, but at their worst they're infinitely more frustrating. Until we don't get something like Saints Row 4's "whoops, your FPS was too low, this section of the game is literally unfinishable" bug on a regular basis, even hardcore gamers are going to be tempted by ease of use.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm not sure how much traction or cash the fighting game community is going to get them, but I know a couple of people who are begrudgingly buying Xboxes after trying the Killer Instinct demo at Evo. Probably a small piece of the pie, but they could be served well by snatching up more exclusives in a genre that, to date, has typically been almost entirely multi-console. The only problem there is shopping around for Western devs that want to make fighters, since aside from Double Helix and Netherrealm, fighting games are still very much dominated by Japanese developers and it seems very unlikely they would go exclusive for XB1.

Killer Instinct is catering to a VERY small audience. Not only do you have to be a hardcore KI fan, you also have to buy a console that is far less appealing than its counterpart. Not to mention that Double Helix is a developer that many gamers are extremely wary of cause their library ranges from mediocre to shovelware. I can't see how KI is going to stay relevant for very long if at all, especially when the game is being released when it's still laughably unfinished.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
God drat, even the WiiU Tears thread has moved on from the WiiU.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TheScott2K posted:

God drat, even the WiiU Tears thread has moved on from the WiiU.

I honestly thought it was the Xbone thread until you posted that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Truly, Paper Jam Dipper has made fools of us all.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

I can play Pikmin 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 and Infamous 2 on a PC?

It's a little early for pikmin 3 to be "available for PC." The other two, yes.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Safety Scissors posted:

It's a little early for pikmin 3 to be "available for PC." The other two, yes.

Oh cool I kinda wanted to get into Infamous 2. I liked the first one. So I can just go out and buy the PC version, yeah? And just put it in and play?

edit: Oh, weird. I can't seem to find the PC version on Amazon. And the guy at GameStop laughed in my face. Maybe they don't carry it anymore??

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 3, 2013

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Spiffo posted:

Oh cool I kinda wanted to get into Infamous 2. I liked the first one. So I can just go out and buy the PC version, yeah? And just put it in and play?

edit: Oh, weird. I can't seem to find the PC version on Amazon. And the guy at GameStop laughed in my face. Maybe they don't carry it anymore??

I'm more surprised that you found a GameStop that actually sold PC games.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's funny how things like compatibility issues, editing game files, modifying the registry, updating drivers, outright piracy, and all manner of troubleshooting are just kind of invisible to champions of PC gaming.

It's just taken for granted that these are the hassles you put up with to run a game. Gee, why on Earth would anyone want to avoid that mess, or want to buy their games legally?

This isn't to say that PC gaming is in bad shape, especially with platforms like Steam. It just amazes me how some folks minimize the downsides and inconveniences, and try to draw an equivalence with a console where you just pop the disc in and it runs perfectly. PC gaming will have to improve a lot in these areas (and maybe Steambox will help that along) before it threatens to take a bite out of consoles.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's funny how things like compatibility issues, editing game files, modifying the registry, updating drivers, outright piracy, and all manner of troubleshooting are just kind of invisible to champions of PC gaming.

It's just taken for granted that these are the hassles you put up with to run a game. Gee, why on Earth would anyone want to avoid that mess, or want to buy their games legally?

Modifying the registry, really? Really?

Did you copy that spiel off of a GameFAQs argument circa 1997?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Install Windows posted:

Modifying the registry, really? Really?

Did you copy that spiel off of a GameFAQs argument circa 1997?

Even funnier is updating the drivers. I mean, really?

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Supercar Gautier posted:

Because a lot of those problems aren't nearly as bad as they used to be (or how you're making them out to be). The tweaks are there for those that want to tweak, but in a lot of cases you can just jump right in. Video card drivers are updated automatically now, much like console firmware. Patches are downloaded automatically, again like on consoles. I haven't had to touch my registry in years.

Don't pretend that consoles don't have these QA problems as well. A faulty driver download isn't going to brick my PC.

edit: why the hell are we talking about PCs again?

VVV Nope, not since I built this thing 2 1/2 years ago.

Midee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 3, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You've never had to mess around trying to find which version of the display driver to roll back to, because the latest is screwy? That's been a thing for me on my current machine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I buy the systems that have the games I really want to play. So basically I buy every console and have a gaming PC. Yeah this is expensive as gently caress but gaming is my favorite hobby so its worth it and I usually wait a while for a system I really want to drop in price. If you pick one platform and stick to that, you're going to miss some really awesome games and that sucks. If you're going to have serious gaming as a hobby, and I assume most people on this forum do, then you shouldn't be choosing one system as your only preference above everything else.

Supercar Gautier posted:

You've never had to mess around trying to find which version of the display driver to roll back to, because the latest is screwy? That's been a thing for me on my current machine.

I haven't had this but it seems to come up often for a lot of people. Especially on ATI cards. I've always gone with Nvidia because I trust their drivers way more.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

True, the previous generation of consoles worked more or less perfectly. I can't think of a single technical issue worth mentioning.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Years ago I used to have to do that. A long time ago. I get requests to update my display driver sometimes but I don't even bother because everything works.

The one time a game didn't was Giana Sisters and it worked eventually, but I am not surprised an indie game would have a few technical/QA issues.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

When was the last time you had to edit the registry to get a game working? When was the last time you had to manually edit the registry at all? The only people who really do that are the insane "PC-ricer" types who massively overclock their dual GTX-790 setups and then wonder why their system keeps crashing.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 3, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

This isn't to say that PC gaming is in bad shape, especially with platforms like Steam. It just amazes me how some folks minimize the downsides and inconveniences, and try to draw an equivalence with a console where you just pop the disc in and it runs perfectly. PC gaming will have to improve a lot in these areas (and maybe Steambox will help that along) before it threatens to take a bite out of consoles.

PC gaming doesn't have to take a bite out of consoles. It stands on its own well enough, and unless consoles ever get to a point where you're not buying a Microsoft machine or a Sony machine PC games and their services will still have a vastly different nature.

Now excuse me while I pay my subscription fee to Newegg so I can run Netflix on my laptop.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I buy the systems that have the games I really want to play. So basically I buy every console and have a gaming PC. Yeah this is expensive as gently caress but gaming is my favorite hobby so its worth it and I usually wait a while for a system I really want to drop in price. If you pick one platform and stick to that, you're going to miss some really awesome games and that sucks. If you're going to have serious gaming as a hobby, and I assume most people on this forum do, then you shouldn't be choosing one system as your only preference above everything else.

If you're not super-into certain franchises, then the PS3/360 are near identical, and the XboxOne/PS4 look to be the same way. You can get away with shunting one of those off to the sidelines.

As for the Wii-U, I already own a bunch of New Super Mario Bros games (one of them was a gift), I don't need to own the Wii-U one. I've played it before, on my DS and on my Wii. And since Smash Bros is going to be on the 3DS, I'll live fine without a Wii-U.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spiffo posted:

If you're not super-into certain franchises, then the PS3/360 are near identical, and the XboxOne/PS4 look to be the same way. You can get away with shunting one of those off to the sidelines.

As for the Wii-U, I already own a bunch of New Super Mario Bros games (one of them was a gift), I don't need to own the Wii-U one. I've played it before, on my DS and on my Wii. And since Smash Bros is going to be on the 3DS, I'll live fine without a Wii-U.

Yeah i'm gonna get Smash Brothers on the 3DS. The Wii-U i'll start to take it seriously once it gets Xenoblade 2, but for now its just a system for buying Virtual Console games. Supposedly Earthbound is its most popular title.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Ramadu posted:

Even funnier is updating the drivers. I mean, really?

Don't be obtuse. Every new beta driver release contains optimizations for the most recent games. Bioshock Infinite ran like poo poo on my Radeon 7950 until after getting the then-latest beta driver update (which conveniently released a week after I finished the game).

PC gaming has come a long way, but it still has a long way to go before it's as seamless as console gaming.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Space Racist posted:

PC gaming has come a long way, but it still has a long way to go before it's as seamless as console gaming.

Exactly. I'm not saying that every game needs coddling to work without issues, but some definitely do-- enough to be a pain in the rear end compared to the console experience. I've never owned a console game that needed tinkering to even run, but PC games have been a different story.

I'm also not saying consoles are immune from poor hardware or bad policy, but then again, neither are PCs or PC software.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Safety Scissors posted:

I don't buy this at all and I like the PC.

I've seen more people move away from it than to it lately. Many of the gamers I know personally (late 20's and early 30's) used to be rabid PC gamers. It made sense, laptops sucked for just about everything back then, and your desktop was just a GPU and soundcard away from being a gaming machine. Plus any other upgrades to memory or CPU would help run the OS better and help in stuff like office.

Those days are long loving gone. Laptops are now more than good enough for everyone who's not doing gaming/CAD/editing. Add on portability and hooking it up to a monitor and a laptop just makes a lot more sense for most people, desktops are about as practical as a typewriter and fax. Once you get into laptops portability and battery life count more than raw power, so these things aren't really functional gaming devices in any sense. Once you have that laptop, a smartphone, possibly a tablet, a gaming PC just becomes a massive money sink. Between driver updates, screw up like intels P67 chipset loving up data and having hard drive issues, crap just not running for various reasons, it's less attractive. It only makes sense if you enjoy tinkering around with computers and feeling like shelling out for some tri 1200p or 1600p screens, and even then it doesn't get rid of the hassle.

So as everyone I knew grew up and tech changed, the PC has been relegated to a casual platform. Low system requirements casual games, or other low requirements stuff like WOW or DOTA. The consoles are where people buy their triple AAA titles now. I don't really see that trend changing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All this talk is pretty funny considering the Wii U required a patch on day one that bricked some systems.

SilentD posted:

So as everyone I knew grew up and tech changed, the PC has been relegated to a casual platform. Low system requirements casual games, or other low requirements stuff like WOW or DOTA. The consoles are where people buy their triple AAA titles now. I don't really see that trend changing.
:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Lemme preface this by saying that I'm someone who bought a 360 because I figured it would be smoother sailing than PC. It was nice, and it enabled me to play Lost Odyssey, but after having been exposed to modern PC gaming, I'll be the first to admit that the difference between end-user ease on consoles and computers is narrowing at a crazy fast rate.

The_Franz posted:

When was the last time you had to edit the registry to get a game working? The only people who really do that are the insane "PC-ricer" types who massively overclock their dual GTX-790 setups and then wonder why their system keeps crashing.
I've had to do some registry fuckery, but that's only because my GPU is a lemon and has been on its last legs since I opened it two years ago. This is definitely not the norm for most PC users. Almost nobody will ever even learn how to access the registry these days.

As for updating drivers, I regard it the same way I regard a new generation of hardware: you're taking a gamble if you get it on release. Give it a week or two instead of just jumping on that update like your life depends on it; it doesn't, and your drivers have been working fine without an update for the past six goddamn months. Game that came out yesterday? Guess what? It's going to be compatible with the drivers you have right now.

PC gaming has become as straightforward as consoles in the past decade, if not almost easier since you now need to navigate a OS-lite on even consoles to play your games. The Wii's OS wasn't terrible, but damned if I wish I could've chucked that wiimote poo poo and navigated it with a controller; the 360 was really loving cumbersome and counter-intuitive. Just the same, the biggest hurdle to a working gaming PC is the OS: Windows, for example (and, starting with 10.7, Mac OS), has so many stupid auto-updates and user-hindering, hand-holding "safety measure" speed bumps that you have to be more concerned about your OS doing something you really don't want it to than you have to be about your firmware or drivers giving you a hard time.

Once you disable all that, PC as a platform has literally become, "press on switch, double-click game." Any problems you encounter with compatible hardware are completely on the hands of the developers, and catastrophic failures can happen just as readily on consoles nowadays. Just look at the Fallout: New Vegas release. The PC version got its problems resolved the fastest because nobody had to go through the consoles' patch certification process. Since console versions now have the luxury of patching their game software, we're quickly approaching an era where the only guarantee a console will buy you is that it won't crash on startup, no promises about working after that.

I'll get a system for its exclusives if they interest me enough, and if the console is cheap enough. The Last Story? Instant loving Wii-seller for me (I realize this doesn't move systems on a large scale). I personally haven't heard tell of a really great title for the WiiU yet, but it'll be a comparatively cheap buy this generation when Mistwalker inevitably makes something on the cheap for its 360-gen graphics hardware. The drat poor thing is still dead in the water, but knowing Nintendo and their "killer app" exclusives that don't get ported to PC--and knowing that almost every blockbuster that'll get released for the PS4 and the Keanu Reeves will--the WiiU is honestly the only system I can be bothered to consider buying this gen. Otherwise, I just gotta get a GPU that isn't on the verge of spontaneously combusting and I'm all set.

• Locked thread