Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

WhenInRome posted:

Also, cool unrelated fact: When you click on provinces on the starting screen to pick who you want to play as, the chimes that play are the first few notes of the main theme.

:ssh: Try clicking provinces in rapid succession.

Edit: Actually I think we're meaning the same thing. I thought you'd just clicked a few provinces but it's actually a several notes long excerpt.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jefferoo posted:

Just got this game through the Humble Bundle. Playing for the first time, should I start as a King or someone much more lowly? Do I need to go through all the tutorials or am I fine with just the basic ones?

It really just depends. Don't do the ingame tutorials, they are old and broken. Start in 1066 rather than 867 even if you have Old Gods - it is a simpler scenario with less raiding, invasions, and other scary things to screw you over, and it also looks more like modern Europe than 867 does. Some kings have very stable situations (like, say, Sweden - not much going on there in 1066 other than your biggest vassal being a different religion and generally an rear end in a top hat, but he's good practice for dealing with assholes because everyone else hates him too and won't join any rebellions on his side) and if you want to jump into the deep end of the pool with regards to complexity and flail around to learn a lot of stuff all at once they aren't a bad choice. Moreover, kings have a lot of troops and usually a decent-sized dynasty already, so there's less risk of losing land or flat out getting a game over. On the other hand, if you start as a count or duke life is more fragile but also much simpler, especially if you are independent rather than a vassal to a king or emperor. They are a better choice if you'd prefer to work up and gradually introduce new concepts into your play experience, and if you're a very goal-oriented player because the goals are obvious - as a count, take over your duchy; as a duke, take over your kingdom.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
1066 Ireland is great as a starting location because not only is it relatively safe and separated by an ocean from giant blobbing land powers, but you have a really satisfying goal to work towards-- forming the kingdom of Ireland. Being a king is way cooler if you've forged your realm yourself.

Then, if you want the hard mode version of the same thing, try to form England as Wessex or Mercia in the 867 start. :v: And then probably get killed by vikings a few times before it sticks.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Jazerus posted:

It really just depends. Don't do the ingame tutorials, they are old and broken. Start in 1066 rather than 867 even if you have Old Gods - it is a simpler scenario with less raiding, invasions, and other scary things to screw you over, and it also looks more like modern Europe than 867 does. Some kings have very stable situations (like, say, Sweden - not much going on there in 1066 other than your biggest vassal being a different religion and generally an rear end in a top hat, but he's good practice for dealing with assholes because everyone else hates him too and won't join any rebellions on his side) and if you want to jump into the deep end of the pool with regards to complexity and flail around to learn a lot of stuff all at once they aren't a bad choice. Moreover, kings have a lot of troops and usually a decent-sized dynasty already, so there's less risk of losing land or flat out getting a game over. On the other hand, if you start as a count or duke life is more fragile but also much simpler, especially if you are independent rather than a vassal to a king or emperor. They are a better choice if you'd prefer to work up and gradually introduce new concepts into your play experience, and if you're a very goal-oriented player because the goals are obvious - as a count, take over your duchy; as a duke, take over your kingdom.

Sweden's not that stable in 1066 because you start with pneumonia and have like a 95% chance of dying within the first week, throwing you straight into succession mode. Not a great place for a beginner I don't think

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Allyn posted:

Sweden's not that stable in 1066 because you start with pneumonia and have like a 95% chance of dying within the first week, throwing you straight into succession mode. Not a great place for a beginner I don't think

You could always make a new king of Sweden in the ruler designer who's younger and healthier, although then you'd have to marry and have an heir lickety split.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Question for anyone who does modding out there. Is it possible to mod in new hotkeys or functionality like that? I want to have a way to toggle on/off the fog of war effect. I know how to change the effect, but I don't know how to, say, trigger a variable to change when the user pushes a key. Anyone know if that's possible? Or if not, if it's possible to add a new console command to do so?

Edit: Looks like at worst I could add a new invisible icon with a keyboard shortcut, but I don't know how to hook up a random function to that button. Any ideas?

Second question, anyone know if it is possible to map shortcut = "" to an extra mouse button? Or is it keyboard only?

Edit2: Getting the impression that adding new GUI commands isn't doable since button commands seem to be hardcoded into the .exe :/

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 3, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rincewind posted:

You could always make a new king of Sweden in the ruler designer who's younger and healthier, although then you'd have to marry and have an heir lickety split.

With lustful and hedonist, I doubt that's really a problem. I'm fairly sure you can actually set it so you have a son straight away, but it costs you five years or so.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

This lass looks like a good candidate for future Empress.

I didn't know base scores could go above 11. And the Emperor is a Grey Eminence. She's going to conquer the world with a smile.

Edit: This generation has favored the ladies. The two older sisters are both Quick and broke 20 in Diplomacy and Intrigue, respectively. The older brothers one the other hand, didn't break 10 in anything. Little bro looks like he might make a good steward, but the new littlest bro (born after this screenshot) is Slow.

AfroSquirrel fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 2, 2013

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How are you going to make her Empresses with three brothers and two older sisters?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

How are you going to make her Empresses with three brothers and two older sisters?

Elective succession.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

dogstile posted:

With lustful and hedonist, I doubt that's really a problem. I'm fairly sure you can actually set it so you have a son straight away, but it costs you five years or so.

Yeah, I use the ruler designer a lot, and I've only gotten a game over from it once (my heir died late in my starting ruler's reign and then they died before I had another). It just means that your early play needs to take the fact that dynasty members are so thin on the ground.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

AfroSquirrel posted:

Elective succession.

I honestly have no idea how the game decides who is suitable for nomination and who isn't. As a King, under normal elective, I had a genius granddaughter who was shaping up to be a very capable heir (no worthwhile men in the dynasty) but I couldn't nominate her. I could, however, nominate my bastard brother's children who weren't even of my dynasty. In the end, I went with my youngest sister, who took the throne at the age of 35, but I still couldn't choose that granddaughter. :iiam:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a question. Is there any tangible benefit to controlling two separate empires?

I'm in the process of blobbing as Britannia, but I just found out that there is no particular culture group required for forming the Empire of Hispania. Will creating it cause the Iberian kings to gain a "Wants Empire" opinion penalty? If so, is the bonus monthly prestige worth it?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

kingturnip posted:

I honestly have no idea how the game decides who is suitable for nomination and who isn't. As a King, under normal elective, I had a genius granddaughter who was shaping up to be a very capable heir (no worthwhile men in the dynasty) but I couldn't nominate her. I could, however, nominate my bastard brother's children who weren't even of my dynasty. In the end, I went with my youngest sister, who took the throne at the age of 35, but I still couldn't choose that granddaughter. :iiam:

I've never been able to choose grandchildren under Elective, which definitely seems strange but may have something to do with it being based off the HRE succession (I don't know enough about it to say). As for the rest, it generally sticks to close members of your dynasty, especially if they're still in your realm, as well as powerful kings/dukes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Zurai posted:

I've never been able to choose grandchildren under Elective, which definitely seems strange but may have something to do with it being based off the HRE succession (I don't know enough about it to say). As for the rest, it generally sticks to close members of your dynasty, especially if they're still in your realm, as well as powerful kings/dukes.

I think I've only been able to pick grandchildren when they were landed or their parents were dead and they remained in my court.

So the answer is - as always - stabbing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Allyn posted:

I had no idea, Wiz must have removed that from CK2+ a very long time ago or boosted his health so he'd get through the pneumonia most of the time or something and I've never played Sweden in vanilla. Aside from that dumb complication it's a good playground for learning to be a king straight off though.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 3, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AfroSquirrel posted:

I think I've only been able to pick grandchildren when they were landed or their parents were dead and they remained in my court.

So the answer is - as always - stabbing.

Succession in elective is your siblings, children, and all dukes/kings in the realm.

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

Zurai posted:

I think it's a matter of 'distance' from the current ruler when nominating someone without any holdings.
So that means only your children's generation. If you want the grandkids to be eligeable give them one of your holdings make them a count and then you vote for them.

I had to go from grandparents to grandkids in one game due to the rulers living a long time, 87,75,94, and 81 so entire generations had to be skipped due to being in their 50s and too old to rule.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jefferoo posted:

Just got this game through the Humble Bundle. Playing for the first time, should I start as a King or someone much more lowly? Do I need to go through all the tutorials or am I fine with just the basic ones?

A duke that doesn't really have any immediate neighbors bigger than him is usually a good start. The standard easy start is "An Irish duke in 1066", as the other Irish dukes are about equal to you and the Atlantic keeps other countries away from the Irish isle long enough for you to build up some power.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I'm modding more stuff about CK2+, specifically getting the Dungeons & Sieges mod to be compatible with CK2+. For those of you who do not know, it's a mod that allows you to imprison title-owners (and their families!) if they are present at the siege of their capital province. This cuts both ways.

I managed to gently caress something up so the event fires off every single time you win a siege. The title-owner doesn't even need to be present at the siege for me to imprison him. It's just too fun. In my test-game as Ivar the Boneless I managed to capture and execute the entire royal lines of Scotland, East/West Francia, Italy, and Byzantium, leaving those kingdoms in such a sorry state that civil wars fire off every decade or so.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I have a question. Is there any tangible benefit to controlling two separate empires?

I'm in the process of blobbing as Britannia, but I just found out that there is no particular culture group required for forming the Empire of Hispania. Will creating it cause the Iberian kings to gain a "Wants Empire" opinion penalty? If so, is the bonus monthly prestige worth it?

I started as just Francia, then went on to create Hispania and the HRE. There's occasionally a faction or two trying to install someone else in one of the empires, but other than that nobody seems to care.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

StashAugustine posted:

Managed to fight the Seljuks to a standstill and finally capture their leader himself, despite having about a quarter of their total forces. :feelsgood: I think I've more or less figured out how to fight a war. Bring on the Mongols!

See how cute they are. Good luck with the Mongols, but they are a different beast than the Seljuks.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Well, I'm starting out as the Irish king duder in 1066, and um, is setting a goal of killing as many people as possible by any means possible an acceptable goal? I executed a 7 year old who was rotting in my dungeon in order to secure a title, if that's any indication. Now my wife is cranking out kids and I'm trying to disperse them accordingly across the realm.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jefferoo posted:

Well, I'm starting out as the Irish king duder in 1066, and um, is setting a goal of killing as many people as possible by any means possible an acceptable goal? I executed a 7 year old who was rotting in my dungeon in order to secure a title, if that's any indication. Now my wife is cranking out kids and I'm trying to disperse them accordingly across the realm.

Crusader Kings II is a murder simulator. Trying to play it any other way is just wrong.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Cocksmith posted:

Crusader Kings II is a murder simulator. Trying to play it any other way is just wrong.

Oh, poo poo. Is this so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JgqiCZiJb8

I may never stop.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
So, the AI has managed to recreate the Caliphate in my current Sunni Rus game. And what a beast it is. Iberia is part of it:

They have an army which makes them the sole superpower in the world:

It's around 1085.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

How do you produce maps like this?

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

lenoon posted:

How do you produce maps like this?

Press F10 while in game.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Second Munster run going great. I'm King, I own a large portion of Scotland and my vassals all like me so my levies are huge. The Pope's just called a Crusade - great! Free piety! Free prestige! Free loot!

So I pledge all of my levies (about 20,000 men - hey, it's just Ireland) to the Crusade out in some desert somewhere and I start killing people.

And now all of a sudden I own Greece. The Pope appears to have given me the Kingdom of Greece.

Trouble is, I died during the Crusade so now my 4 year old son is the King of Ireland / Greece. With a maximum demesne size of 6. I have 140+ realms in my demesne now. Oh god.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Rurik posted:

So, the AI has managed to recreate the Caliphate in my current Sunni Rus game. And what a beast it is. Iberia is part of it:

They have an army which makes them the sole superpower in the world:

It's around 1085.

All hail Pax Arabia.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nothing like discovering your new heir has married his aunt.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So there's no way to get saves back if something corrupted them, right?

Also, what the gently caress happened to the HRE!

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 3, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone had any success playing as a Jew in CK2+? I am thinking of doing an Old Gods start as a Jewish Emir under an Umayyad Sultan in Spain. Is there a better starting point - or a good strategy involving playing a religious minority? Being a vassal seems like the safest move, since I know that is strategy for a Zoroastrian start... but other than that I am out of ideas.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has anyone had any success playing as a Jew in CK2+? I am thinking of doing an Old Gods start as a Jewish Emir under an Umayyad Sultan in Spain. Is there a better starting point - or a good strategy involving playing a religious minority? Being a vassal seems like the safest move, since I know that is strategy for a Zoroastrian start... but other than that I am out of ideas.

You could try the Jewish Khan(s?) in Crimea/Volga area. And there's another Jewish kingdom somewhere, maybe in East Africa--unless I'm confusing that with the 1066 start.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Flesnolk posted:

So there's no way to get saves back if something corrupted them, right?

Depends on how the save is corrupted. If there's an entry in it which is causing a repeatable crash you'll have to track that entry down which is difficult but possible. If the save is filled with a massive set of repeated data, then deleting the repeated data will usually fix it. If the file ends prematurely or the formatting goes mad or you just get a massive amount of garbage past a certain point, you're hosed.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Well, I can't select the save at all, I get "no character" displayed for everywhere and can't load it. And starting a new game the HRE is shattered and huge chunks of Central Europe just don't exist, as shown in that picture.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Flesnolk posted:

Well, I can't select the save at all, I get "no character" displayed for everywhere and can't load it. And starting a new game the HRE is shattered and huge chunks of Central Europe just don't exist, as shown in that picture.

I had a similar problem and then I noticed that I had an out of date mod turned on. Try seeing if you have anything like that, or if you've modified some other game files or something.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

I did it I did it I did it. So stoked right now. This is the best outcome of any CK or CK2 game I have ever played.

Having started as the Duke of Lower Lorraine, after 347 years, 15 generations, 2 major revolts, killing my favorite genius son and heir in favor for his brother who was about to inherit 3 Duchies in France, being gifted all of Muslim Spain after kicking rear end for the Pope in a crusade, weaseling an inheritance of half of England from a distant cousin to myself with a LOT of murdering, and Conquering 20 Russian Provinces after marrying my daughter off to the leader of the Golden horde, Forming the Kingdoms of Lothangaria, Jerusalem, Portugal, and Volga Bulgaria, I finally was able to depose the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and take the crown for myself.

No longer am I subject to the Emperors restrictive laws. I have freedom, unimaginable power, money out the rear end, and 250,000 men at my call....and about 35 years left of game time.

What to do...what to do...

Hey...Byzantium, I'm looking at you...

Edit: Holy jeesus I just noticed the Timurands 193k Doomstack of stupid bigness in Egypt.

Wow...um....huh.

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 4, 2013

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Billy the Mountain posted:

Edit: Holy jeesus I just noticed the Timurands 193k Doomstack of stupid bigness in Egypt.

Wow...um....huh.

There's always a bigger fish. Unless you're Pagan God-Emperor of the entire world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Flesnolk posted:

You shouldn't be seeing those sorts of effects on a new game from a corrupted save so there's something else wrong there (follow rincewind's advice, then try validating your game cache through steam or something), but if you're not aware, save games for Paradox titles are plain text files, you can view and even edit them with a basic text editor like EditPad or Notepad++. What I was referring to was what you see in the save when you open it like that, not in-game. Try opening a save file you know is not corrupt and quickly skimming it to get an idea of what the save file should look like, then open your problem save and see if there's anything unusual like it terminating in the middle of something, or a huge spawn of random garbage, or a single cluster of lines repeated thousands of times (enough that you can see the repeated pattern while dragging the scroll bar). If it looks normal or has a billion it's probably possible to save (though much more difficult if it looks normal), if it's a shitload of garbled punctuation, you're hosed.

• Locked thread