Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Blanketspace posted:

Has anyone listened to the Cort and Fatboy Show? I listened to their podcast daily about two years ago, and it was pretty entertaining.

I know you posted this back in December but I've just now seen the post and that no one has replied to it.

Unfortunately, Cort and Fatboy as you knew it disbanded in the very same month you posted your question, but there is good news! They've risen from the ashes and thrown the shackles of being called Fatboy after Bobby Roberts hasn't resembled that in years to create Welcome to That Whole Thing where they read and discuss weekly news. There are presently 27 episodes about 45 minutes in length, and while they no longer have their cadre of guests come on they're quite able to carry the show by themselves.

You might also like Ham-Fisted Radio by Dawn Taylor, who always has Bobby Roberts as her cohost and often has her husband Patrick on as well. It's got a similar banter style as the old Cort and Fatboy Show, and has some of the most absurd rants and digressions sometimes. Along these same lines, you might also like The Mediocre Show which was frequently plugged by Cort and Fatboy during the last year or so of the show. The only potential turnoff is that they often have 2 1/2 hour shows, but if you have the time to invest in it, it'll pay off.

Thanks to everyone who recommended F Plus by the way, this is a pretty drat amazing show.

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
How do you guys feel about trying to get money for a podcast via Kickstarter? I have a couple of friends who are coming back to podcasting, having done nearly 100 episodes, and they're asking for money.

On one hand, I get it ... It's a good way to gauge interest and if it's not there you don't have to do it. On the other hand, it seems like a weird way to get cash.

Thoughts?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

There was a guardian media talk podcast about podcasting that tackled this issue

http://www.theguardian.com/media/audio/2013/aug/02/podcasting-digital-media

It seems to suggest that it is more common to charge for podcasts if you are in America than in say, the United Kingdom. Personally, if the product is good enough then I am happy to pay for it. But the thing with podcasts for me is that I use it like I did with traditional radio - I listen while I am working (or was working). I am not always fully engaged in listening to the content and I am not the kind of person to sit in front of the computer for half an hour and listen to someone talk at me, regardless of the content. So I don't think I would pay a premium for podcasts.

An example is that I pay about five british pounds a month for The Bugle. That is around 1 pound for a show for which I think is fair for half an hour. If it is something longer like say a Dan Carlin thing then 3 or 4 dollars if I remember as a one off.

It seems to be a very difficult market to crack, and it is alluded to in that guardian podcast that podcasting in general is starting to flatline. My podcast feed is probably a dozen shows that I listen to regularly which is a small drop in the ocean. I know that there are more entertaining podcasts out there, I wouldn't have found the Complete Guide to Everything if it wasn't for the podcast megathread on here for example. But the way that podcasts are marketed, and the way that iTunes regionalises podcasts to me means that it would be a difficult market to crack if you wanted to do it full time.

They would also need a decent POS system or subscription service. And not be stupid about it. 0.50-1.0 for a half hour show is generally what I would be happy to pay for a well produced podcast. Also because in my own mind, I am hoping that at least 2-3,000 others are doing the same thing and also paying a dollar. If it were, say $5 a show, times that by 12 and I am getting into paying more than I would for internet and satellite on-demand television...

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

En Fuego posted:

How do you guys feel about trying to get money for a podcast via Kickstarter? I have a couple of friends who are coming back to podcasting, having done nearly 100 episodes, and they're asking for money.

On one hand, I get it ... It's a good way to gauge interest and if it's not there you don't have to do it. On the other hand, it seems like a weird way to get cash.

Thoughts?

Kickstarter is great for this kind of thing because it's a model for supporting things rather than buying them. For example, Roderick is my favorite podcast and one of my favorite things. I would probably give them $150 for a promise to keep podcasting and like a two-sentence personal postcard. But if they charged $10/year to listen, I would tell them to gently caress themselves.

Radiolab and the like I would feel different about because they have high production value/costs. (Bandwidth costs are irrelevant because it's your own fault if you can't figure out how to distribute very small audio files for cheap in 2013.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

En Fuego posted:

Thoughts?

Hell the D&D podcast I love listening to had a KS for like, a thousand dollars to get better gear and got 10k and that was after like 20 episodes of 'four idiots play D&D and make jokes'. Just stay reasonable with goals and have some neat rewards or something (the D&D one did a set of dice and a dice bag with character logos on them for example) and it's at least worth a shot. Not like they lose money if they fail it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there a thread for How Did This Get Made? This week's episode was on Crocodile Dundee 3 and they had one of the writers on. He talked about pitching the movie and writing it for Paul Hogan. Long story short: Paul Hogan is a dick.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Angry Moo Cow posted:

There was a guardian media talk podcast about podcasting that tackled this issue

http://www.theguardian.com/media/audio/2013/aug/02/podcasting-digital-media

It seems to suggest that it is more common to charge for podcasts if you are in America than in say, the United Kingdom. Personally, if the product is good enough then I am happy to pay for it. But the thing with podcasts for me is that I use it like I did with traditional radio - I listen while I am working (or was working). I am not always fully engaged in listening to the content and I am not the kind of person to sit in front of the computer for half an hour and listen to someone talk at me, regardless of the content. So I don't think I would pay a premium for podcasts.

An example is that I pay about five british pounds a month for The Bugle. That is around 1 pound for a show for which I think is fair for half an hour. If it is something longer like say a Dan Carlin thing then 3 or 4 dollars if I remember as a one off.

It seems to be a very difficult market to crack, and it is alluded to in that guardian podcast that podcasting in general is starting to flatline. My podcast feed is probably a dozen shows that I listen to regularly which is a small drop in the ocean. I know that there are more entertaining podcasts out there, I wouldn't have found the Complete Guide to Everything if it wasn't for the podcast megathread on here for example. But the way that podcasts are marketed, and the way that iTunes regionalises podcasts to me means that it would be a difficult market to crack if you wanted to do it full time.

They would also need a decent POS system or subscription service. And not be stupid about it. 0.50-1.0 for a half hour show is generally what I would be happy to pay for a well produced podcast. Also because in my own mind, I am hoping that at least 2-3,000 others are doing the same thing and also paying a dollar. If it were, say $5 a show, times that by 12 and I am getting into paying more than I would for internet and satellite on-demand television...

I actually listen to much less than I used to. When I was first getting into podcasts I was excited by all the possibilities so I'd have 20 shows across different categories. I mostly only listen when I'm driving, so it would get to the point where I literally couldn't listen to all of them every episode, so I started skipping episodes here and there. Then I just dropped certain ones entirely, and at this point I listen to maybe 2 or 3.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually listen to much less than I used to. When I was first getting into podcasts I was excited by all the possibilities so I'd have 20 shows across different categories. I mostly only listen when I'm driving, so it would get to the point where I literally couldn't listen to all of them every episode, so I started skipping episodes here and there. Then I just dropped certain ones entirely, and at this point I listen to maybe 2 or 3.

Yes, I must confess that 4 of my 12 are football related, so it goes down to 8 in the off season.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there a thread for How Did This Get Made? This week's episode was on Crocodile Dundee 3 and they had one of the writers on. He talked about pitching the movie and writing it for Paul Hogan. Long story short: Paul Hogan is a dick.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527978

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Vulich the Subtle posted:

Another one that I quite liked was The Mask of Inanna. Basically old guy gets paid to watch a lighthouse and then immediately gets involved with a Conspiracy. Quite well done, though the main characters voice will take some getting used to.

Quality in radio drama is a strange thing to think about, because a lovely or mediocre story with really good production values might be considered Quality, or the inverse; a really good story with lovely production.

My rule of thumb is to avoid anything that's about zombies or fan-fiction. I won't listen to stuff unless it immediately looks interesting, has won a lot of awards, or gets suggested to me.

I haven't ever used the iTunes Top Chart list, so that might be a good place to look?

Also, I swear I am not shilling, Welcome to Night Vale is also excellent.

Finally, I started listening to Radio Drama Revival, and while I haven't found anything he's talked about to be really worth listening to, there's always a chance something will come down the line.

Welcome to Nightvale is amazing and still gives me shivers at times. I also enjoy the Freakonomics podcast and Chilling tales for Dark Nights.

I forgot how much I love podcasts/radio until I found this forum. Does anyone know of any good Healthcare-related (specifically nursing) shows?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I would usually recommend the Nosleep Podcast for good horror audio but they switched over to a stupid pay system where you buy a season pass or whatever, so I guess check out their earlier free stuff. It's good, there's some dumb poo poo because it's all picked from stories written on a Reddit board, but there's been some good stuff too. Not 'pay real money for' good, but decent. I think Chilling Tales actually poached a few stories from that board, though, or maybe vise versa, who knows.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Creepypasta, like traditional fairy tales, tend to spread anywhere and everywhere so I'm not terribly surprised.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea absolutely wasn't meaning that as some 'woah unoriginal' thing, just saying chances are good stuff from Nosleep will still show up on places like Chilling Tales which makes the silly paywall even more silly.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Is there a podcast where working TV writers talk about the craft and relevant industry news? I listen to several podcasts (Writers Bloc, Nerdist Writers Panel) that are interview-based, but I'm looking for something along the lines of John August and Craig Mazin's Script Notes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are there any good podcasts of people playing tabletop rpgs?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Len posted:

I love Nerd Poker. Brian Posehn and his funny friends playing Dungeons and Dragons.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

The Drunks and Dragons Podcast is pretty funny.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got a 17-hour total drive coming up, and I'm going to play podcasts off my phone for most of it. Are there any Android apps that would make this easier? Something like making a playlist of casts, downloading them, then I can just hit "play" and they all go and I don't flip my car trying to hit fast forward.

Is there something like this?

(Also recommendations would be nice, I like the idea of a comedic D&D session to laugh along to. I've got Welcome to Nightvale, How did this get made, and Bombcast in the list of stuff to get already :3:)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 4, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pollyanna posted:

I've got a 17-hour total drive coming up, and I'm going to play podcasts off my phone for most of it. Are there any Android apps that would make this easier? Something like making a playlist of casts, downloading them, then I can just hit "play" and they all go and I don't flip my car trying to hit fast forward.

Is there something like this?

(Also recommendations would be nice, I like the idea of a comedic D&D session to laugh along to. I've got Welcome to Nightvale, How did this get made, and Bombcast in the list of stuff to get already :3:)

Beyondpod is very good at this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Downloaded and installed! Incidentally, I see that there's a standup thread - do comedians just post their sets online or something? I'm used to that being an album exclusive...

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Downcast can do it, bit confusing unless you are super geek computer mad to work out though.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Pollyanna posted:

Downloaded and installed! Incidentally, I see that there's a standup thread - do comedians just post their sets online or something? I'm used to that being an album exclusive...

Uh no, the standup thread is just in here because standup is audio entertainment or something. But most (LA) standup comedians have a podcast.

You should also get a few episodes of The Flophouse if you already like How Did This Get Made.

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

Len posted:

Crit Juice is pretty good. A group of humorous friends sit down for Dungeons & Dragons & Drinking, with drinking rules submitted by listeners. The people who make Penny Arcade have also done several D&D podcasts with Wizards of the Coast, which you can find here.

Can anyone recommend some podcasts that discuss tabletop roleplaying, ideally with regard to being a better GM?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Len posted:

We did some with 13th Age -- two week long specials.

You can find it, and other people playing them here:

http://www.pelgranepress.com/site/?tag=download&cat=248

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Not A Vet Yet posted:

This might be better asked over in The Goon Doctor, but does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts on the subject of medicine? Either aimed at the general public or at medical staff would be cool. Thanks.

I know this was a bit ago, but I'm really enjoying Sawbones so far. It's in its infancy so there are still some hiccups but if they keep up a good selection of topics, it should be pretty great. I really enjoyed the episodes on Opium and Hysteria.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The guy who did the fantastic The History of Rome podcast is finally back with a new one! It's called Revolutions and will dissect various revolutions throughout history. Super excited!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was listening to a recent Indoor Kids and they make mention of a very awkward podcast with Pete Holmes at Sketchfest where he gets into an argument with another comedian...Anyone know what podcast this is (I don't think it's Indoor Kids)?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Probably this one: http://www.nerdist.com/2012/09/you-made-it-weird-83-live-from-sf-outside-lands/

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was listening to a recent Indoor Kids and they make mention of a very awkward podcast with Pete Holmes at Sketchfest where he gets into an argument with another comedian...Anyone know what podcast this is (I don't think it's Indoor Kids)?

To sum it up: Pete Holmes said to Jon Benjamin: "Hey remember when we were both up for the E-Trade Baby and I got it? Wasn't that funny!!!?!" To which, Jon Benajmin replied "No. Me having to send my kids to LAUSD public schools instead of private school because you booked that high-paying V.O. gig wasn't that funny."

I listened to the first four episodes of Revolutions but it's not doing much for me. It's just a guy reading off a script for 25 minutes without any humor or levity or even editing of his pauses and lip smacking. It's like a boring Power Point lecture but without the images.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

To sum it up: Pete Holmes said to Jon Glaser: "Hey remember when we were both up for the E-Trade Baby and I got it? Wasn't that funny!!!?!" To which, Jon Glaser replied "No. Me having to send my kids to LAUSD public schools instead of private school because you booked that high-paying V.O. gig wasn't that funny."

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thanks!

Yeah, it's awkward, but I was kind of expecting more. For some reason I was picturing Michael Biehn when Glaser was talking.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I listened to the first four episodes of Revolutions but it's not doing much for me. It's just a guy reading off a script for 25 minutes without any humor or levity or even editing of his pauses and lip smacking. It's like a boring Power Point lecture but without the images.

That's kind of his style. He's come a long way from what it used to sound like at the beginning of History of Rome but yes, he very much prepares his work beforehand - including his colourful off-commentary. I can see how that is offputting to most people but it IS a factual history podcast. Someone like Dan Carlin can make historical retellings exciting but it takes the guy ages to make content like that. Mike does his in a couple of days.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 8, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Speaking of history, can somebody recommend me a podcast about the period of roughly 1903-1935 that's not a history podcast? Kind of a pop-culture thing. The trends of the era are really interesting but are often overlooked because of all the actual Important poo poo that was happening.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've been trying to remember the name of this podcast I used to listen to a year and a half ago. I'll try and describe it as best I can and if it rings any bells I'd appreciate being reminded of it's name.

Australian host who would read weird true/paranormal/funny stories with soft music playing in the background. He actually had two podcasts with very similar formats.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A radio show like Loveline or Coast to Coast AM anybody? I realize these two may seem unrelated but they share in common:
-Perfect for after dark driving.
-Oddball/underground-esque American culture.
-90s.

Man if anybody else here feels my vibes please

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lampsacus posted:

A radio show like Loveline or Coast to Coast AM anybody? I realize these two may seem unrelated but they share in common:
-Perfect for after dark driving.
-Oddball/underground-esque American culture.
-90s.

Man if anybody else here feels my vibes please

I have a feeling Joe Frank would be right up your alley.

Also maybe try Night People from WFMU.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks Snowy. I will check them out :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does anyone know of podcasts that focus on European Union politics & analysis? I know several podcasts that debate whatever is going on in the US but am somewhat at a loss when it comes to finding EU related audio - The only thing I found was the European Journal podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/european-journal-magazine/id288958128) that focusses on internal integration and a small bit of foreign affairs. While certainly interesting I would like to find more programs...

any tips?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Getting Doug With High is fun enough but he never sounds as high as Konnan does on MLW Radio, and certainly not as high as Joe Rogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Joey Coco Diaz's sidekick The Flying Jew is my favorite stoned podcaster. Sometimes he sounds like he really can't take anymore but Joey bullies him into it.