Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I dunno where you're all getting that Aranea is suddenly evil or something. All we've seen is a person manipulating a clown into getting a ring, so to what ends are still pretty unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I dunno where you're all getting that Aranea is suddenly evil or something. All we've seen is a person manipulating a clown into getting a ring, so to what ends are still pretty unknown.

It's guilt by association, in as much as the clown is a complete toolbag and has been largely working for Caliborn explicitly and English implicitly.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
It's because Serkets. :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm not sure how well guild by association works when you are explicitly mind controlling someone.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Even though Meenah said she liked them both, after they first met, she and Vriska were thick as thieves. Maybe Aranea became a third wheel. You saw what they thought of her during that hug breaking up leprechaun sex chat.

It would be nice if she didn't go full Demara, though.

Edit: it's because of that parable with the Serket and the frog that ends with them both dying to "it's my natuuuuuuuure"

:catstare: oh poo poo I hope not

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 3, 2013

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

glowing-fish posted:

That actually is the big question on my mind. Almost everything we (and the characters) know about Caliborn, Lord English, Cherubs, Calliope, Yaldabaoth, and the source and extent of Caliborn/Lord English's powers comes from the infodump that Aranea gave us back in March. What if this was all consummate misdirection?

And for that matter, what if there really aren't 9 different charms in Leprechaun shipping?

I knew it! Right when she started going on about all that crap I knew it.

Also there's this little sequence (check Aranea's expression later on).

Bobulus posted:

That was just a sprite mistake. Hussie already fixed it.

I think the implication was that the higher of blood you were, the more mental resistance you had. Hence why Vriska mostly mindcontrolled the lowbloods like Tavros, Karkat, and Sollux, and why Feferi could resist the Vast Glub longer than anyone else.

Of course, Vriska was able to mind-control Amporas, so who knows.

I thought it was more an individual's will-power rather than blood level. She could only get Sollux half the time (fitting his bi-polar moodswings), and if she was trying to kill Aradia why not just mind control her directly?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 3, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Stormgale posted:

I'm not sure how well guild by association works when you are explicitly mind controlling someone.

Yeah, but then the question becomes how much mind controlling has she done? Has she been controlling Gamzee through the entire session? Was he hurling torsos at her behest?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, but then the question becomes how much mind controlling has she done? Has she been controlling Gamzee through the entire session? Was he hurling torsos at her behest?

I can't remember, in other instances of Serket mind control was the Symbol always visible? (even if the event wasn't known to be Mind control induced at that point)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Stormgale posted:

I can't remember, in other instances of Serket mind control was the Symbol always visible? (even if the event wasn't known to be Mind control induced at that point)

Well, we never saw a mind-control symbol on Jade the dozens of times she fell asleep suddenly, despite the reveal that Vriska was doing that.

I'd say we have no idea what things Gamzee was doing on his own, and what he was mind-controlled into doing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Jade's narcolepsy was caused by Vriska but we didn't (or never? I'm not sure) saw the symbol on her.

GCat is also known to be controlled by the Condesce, but we haven't seen a symbol every time it's appeared so we don't know if it's always been under her control or if its acted autonomously at some points.

edit: Actually Aranea's apparent involvement with Gamzee now casts some new light on Terezi and Gamzee's relationship, especially since that relationship, Terezi healing her eyes and her spiral into depression are all pretty linked. Maybe? Am I reaching?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 3, 2013

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Stormgale posted:

Well, in that case mind control is an inherently sketchy power.

One possible angle is that Aranea wants to look after the ring for a bit before giving it to someone else, but that doesn't really hold up: the most obvious answer for "someone else" (assuming she's been telling the truth) would be Calliope - and resurrecting Calliope was John and Roxy's plan anyway, so Aranea didn't have to do a thing.

I wonder where she'll "respawn" in?

e:

Wyld Karde posted:

WV: ATTEMPT TO EAT ENGLISH ==>

Attempt Successful.
The Full English Breakfast?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 3, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They didn't want to listen to her stories, but now she'll MAKE them listen to her stories!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

I wonder where she'll "respawn" in?

I'd figure probably right there on the spot, except now she can just bust outta the bubbles and make her way to wherever she needs to go. The living can go where they please.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
what if lord english is caliborn's self-insert? a huge muscly guy with an awesome gun who can shoot lasers from his mouth, and is totally a lord of time

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Granted, having Aranea back might help with the Grimbark Jade/Evil Jane situation by using her Serket powers... but that entirely depends on what her ultimate plan is. Remember, the last thing Calliope wants is a Light Player finding her.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus posted:

I think the implication was that the higher of blood you were, the more mental resistance you had. Hence why Vriska mostly mindcontrolled the lowbloods like Tavros, Karkat, and Sollux, and why Feferi could resist the Vast Glub longer than anyone else.
This doesn't seem like a hard and fast rule though, considering that Vriska couldn't mind control Aradia, who was the lowest blood of them all.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh. Well. THAT happened!

This is the latest in a long, long saga of Hussie trolling the Vriska thread on the MSPA Forums. A lot of them are starting to lose hope that there'll be a payoff at the end of it. Myself, included.

e; Re: Mind control, I thought it didn't work as well on the psychically gifted? Was that not the reason given for not being able to control Aradia (as well as sort-of explaining not controlling Sollux). Mituna and the other Megido haven't shown any psychic powers, have they?

Does this cast the blue blood in this picture from Killed by 8r8k Spider's album art into a whole new light? (Yes, I still like that theory...)

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 3, 2013

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think the rules were never clearly explained, we know she can't control Terezi (which required the reach a round combo) but she can Do Sollux and Tavros both of whom have powers of some kind.

Edit: Isn't the chuckle voodoo Kurloz's thing, I mean Gamzee has seemed to give 0 fucks about that whole end of things.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 3, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Honestly wouldn't have guessed she could control Gamzee though with his Chucklevoodoo powers (whatever those are)

Of course, Aranea plotting to get her hands on this ring the whole time would explain why everyone gets sleepy when they get near it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I can't believe that there were so many people who seriously thought the ring was going to go to Calliope. It's too obvious (this is Homestuck, after all. The easiest answers never work. :v;) and finding her ghost seems drat near impossible.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Stormgale posted:

I think the rules were never clearly explained, we know she can't control Terezi (which required the reach a round combo) but she can Do Sollux and Tavros both of whom have powers of some kind.

Edit: Isn't the chuckle voodoo Kurloz's thing, I mean Gamzee has seemed to give 0 fucks about that whole end of things.

Gamzee's explicitly been shown to use the chucklevoodoos to create the Jack doll in John's dream room, and all but confirmed he did the same with the Cal doll in Dave. It's also been heavily implied (I think?) at the least that he was voodoo-ing Terezi during the lead up to her rooftop confrontation with Vriska.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I have a bad feeling that it's the Condesce calling and not actually Meenah.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Also that ring seems to have been a rip off - Areana's eyes are still ghostly in the real world.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...
I want to know if Aranea just re-died or if her eyes are an artwork mix-up.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Line Feed posted:

I have a bad feeling that it's the Condesce calling and not actually Meenah.

It would have to be the Condesce. I doubt the real world gets very good cell reception from the afterlife.

Edit: VVV They're still white for me. Is my cache messing it up or am I just that gullible? VVV

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 3, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What artwork mixup, her eyes are perfectly fine!

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

SynthOrange posted:

What artwork mixup, her eyes are perfectly fine!

They weren't five minutes ago.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nuh uh, you must have been imagining things.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Well holy poo poo, I did not expect that in the least. :stare:

Reminder though that John has ret-conning powers; the ring ending up on Aranea's finger is not something that will necessarily be true later on; I'm pretty sure if John learns of this he'll try to change it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

YF-23 posted:

Reminder though that John has ret-conning powers; the ring ending up on Aranea's finger is not something that will necessarily be true later on; I'm pretty sure if John learns of this he'll try to change it.

Why would he though? It's not like he and the others specifically set their sights on using the ring to revive Calliope as part of their plan. He just didn't want to give to Vriska and instead decided to give it to Roxy so she could help her friend (who he does not know is one of the supposed keys to beating Lord English)

As far as he knows Aranea's one of the better choices. Hell, she may very well be, we don't know what her deal is right now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mazerunner posted:

edit: Actually Aranea's apparent involvement with Gamzee now casts some new light on Terezi and Gamzee's relationship, especially since that relationship, Terezi healing her eyes and her spiral into depression are all pretty linked. Maybe? Am I reaching?
Not reaching. I was going to come here to post the same thing. Aranea causing Terezi to heal her eyes, which she fully regrets, was probably a power move on Aranea's part. This is some sick Aranea dick-move action right here.

But now you gotta wonder... if Gamzee is the most important character and has been setting up Caliborn to be Lord English aka "The Big Bad" just how much of this occurred because of Aranea's doing? Remember back when we assumed Vriska was the worst (best) because she caused Jack Noir's ascent to power back when we though Jack Noir was the Big Bad? Welp, this is a pretty fantastic parallel if I ever saw one.

Stretch out this whole thing with the fact that Aranea seems to know everything about everything and, well, her taking the ring was probably the best move for the entire timeline. (Sorry if this has all been mentioned already, thread is moving at light speed.)

BTW: Best cell phone ring tone ever.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 3, 2013

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Answer your drat phone Aranea :mad:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

DaveKap posted:

Not reaching. I was going to come here to post the same thing. Aranea causing Terezi to heal her eyes, which she fully regrets, was probably a power move on Aranea's part. This is some sick Aranea dick-move action right here.

But now you gotta wonder... if Gamzee is the most important character and has been setting up Caliborn to be Lord English aka "The Big Bad" just how much of this occurred because of Aranea's doing? Remember back when we assumed Vriska was the worst (best) because she caused Jack Noir's ascent to power back when we though Jack Noir was the Big Bad? Welp, this is a pretty fantastic parallel if I ever saw one.

BTW: Best cell phone ring tone ever.

Didn't restoring her sight also somehow gently caress up Terezi's Seer powers? Incapacitating the Seer of Mind would be a good move if you wanted to keep your intentions on the down-low.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

Also there's this little sequence (check Aranea's expression later on).

I don't think that was so much foreshadowing as it was Aranea not being oblivious to what was happening behind her.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Didn't restoring her sight also somehow gently caress up Terezi's Seer powers? Incapacitating the Seer of Mind would be a good move if you wanted to keep your intentions on the down-low.
Yeah and here's where it's my turn to stretch. Aranea is the Sylph of Light. And according to Wikipedia....
"The term originates in Paracelsus, who describes sylphs as invisible beings of the air, his elementals of air."
So she's essentially the invisible being of light. So either a seer can't see her anyway or a seer who saw her would go blind. But if you're already a blind seer, you can't go double-blind, so perhaps a usually-invisible Sylph of Light suddenly becomes an easily-visible target for just one seer, the blind one.

I have extreme doubts that even if any of this was true, Hussie would actually go so far as to explain it this way. But hey, worth a shot at predicting.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Okay, I forgot the specifics of the Ring of Life. Did they say it could only be used once ever to revive someone, or that it could be used on each dead person only once? Because both of those things could mean wildly different things in terms of Aranea's motivations here.

Prison Warden posted:

As far as we know, the genetic engineering bays in the furthest ring were only used to create actual Chess People who were horrific monsters for use on the battlefield, not the Carapacians. Why else would they need the prototyping rings?

I put it down to hellish police-state like dersite government practises.

There were also cloning pods containing normal chess people. I remember them distinctly because with their animation they kicked their little legs in their sleep. :3:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Sidenote, I wonder if this will be what kicks Meenah into Thief of Life'ing herself back.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Wonder nothin', she's totally gonna take the ring. She said so herself. John hosed up, he was supposed to not let her steal it and now she's going to.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a very strange development.

Well, at any rate it's hard to believe things could get any worse so yeah do whatever Aranea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
When Meenah begged John not to let her steal the ring, perhaps she knew somehow she would end up alive and the weight of inevitability she was fighting was behind that request?

Edit: if its )(IC she's helping, Aranea's breadth of knowledge across all variations of both universes might have helped inspire, or even dictate, the Empress' long-reaching plan to escape Lord English's influence.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 3, 2013