Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Off to a bad start today. I slept ~3 hours because my runny nose turned into a slight fever. Woke shivering around 3am and grabbed a woolen blanket to throw on top of the duvet. Got up at 6 and didn't feel like going to work at all.

A cup of joe made the world a little bit better, and after a trip to the gent's room the day is saved. We upgraded to 3 ply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

frogbert posted:

Here's a question re. cable talk.

Our network guy believes that the minimum run between two active devices on a network should be 1 metre. Meaning 50cm cables between switches in racks are a no-no. This doesn't bother me and I don't doubt the sincerity of his belief however haven't actually found a source for this information.

Does anyone here know if this is actually true?

The spec does call for a minimum of one metre.

For patch cables between a patch panel and a switch you can go shorter as these are effectively an extension to a longer cable run, but you would technically be out of spec if you did that between switches.

That said I've done it (at home) and never had a problem. gently caress coiling up a metre of cable when your network rack is basically a shoe stand with router, NAS and UPS on the 3 shelves that shoes are supposed to go on.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
You have a rack at home? I've been out-nerded. (not that it took a whole lot to do that)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Any real world implications?
Because when you're too cheap for 10gig-e and are using link aggregation between adjacent switches, 1m cables would be an honest to god clusterfuck

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Crowley posted:

You have a rack at home? I've been out-nerded. (not that it took a whole lot to do that)

It's really not a rack. it's literally a little wooden stand designed to sit in a corner and take 3 pairs of shoes.

Since I own rather more than 3 pairs of shoes, it got repurposed for all my consumer grade comms gear.

Now the enormous stack of Cisco's my GF has in the spare room is a different story.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Now the enormous stack of Cisco's my GF has in the spare room is a different story.

I cheat and virtualize all my servers. :v:

..and keep my shoes/boots/wellingtons in a closet (along with Mrs. Crowley's and the kids')

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I manage a half dozen racks worth of servers and a few hundred workstations and I fully intend on not ever making a cable myself.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Crowley posted:

I cheat and virtualize all my servers. :v:

..and keep my shoes/boots/wellingtons in a closet (along with Mrs. Crowley's and the kids')

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD YOU KEEP YOUR WIFE AND KIDS IN THE. Oh never mind. Sorry read that wrong. Haven't had coffee yet. Carry on.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

SubjectVerbObject posted:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD YOU KEEP YOUR WIFE AND KIDS IN THE. Oh never mind. Sorry read that wrong. Haven't had coffee yet. Carry on.

No no, I was right there with you for a moment...

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A ticket came in. No internet for the entire company. How did she report it? Email.

Edit: I should clarify that we're a 3rd party IT provider, not on their LAN.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The real question is whether you're upset that he kept them in a closet, or that they're able to access the server room.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

A ticket came in. No internet for the entire company. How did she report it? Email.

Edit: I should clarify that we're a 3rd party IT provider, not on their LAN.

What if she put the ticket in from her cell phone

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

SlayVus posted:

What if she put the ticket in from her cell phone

Which would go through the exchange server in the office with no internet connection.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I love getting an email: EMAIL IS NOT WORKING!!!!!! HEEELLLP!!!! Oh really? Well yes it is working because I got this. The best is when email actually isn't working so you get 300 emails all saying email is down when you finally get it running again.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Girlfriend, please. The only one in the closet is me. ;-*

pixaal posted:

I love getting an email: EMAIL IS NOT WORKING!!!!!! HEEELLLP!!!! Oh really? Well yes it is working because I got this. The best is when email actually isn't working so you get 300 emails all saying email is down when you finally get it running again.
Everyone here who won't admit to thinking "I'll just email everyone that the Exchange server is down." is a lying git.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 2, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Get asked to set something up that is, for various reasons, just not really feasible, and respond to that effect
They return to particular director, who says it's "basic IT" and to ask me again

Gee, I'm glad someone who doesn't work in IT, and doesn't know how this system works or the implications of his request, thinks it's "basic". Maybe he'd like to give it a go if he thinks he's clever enough.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crowley posted:

We make any cable over 20m ourselves, but that's mostly because we already have the in-house tools and skills to do it, and we're making our own power, Coax and SLR cables too. Anything less than 20m get's a pre-made cable because they are just plain cheaper.
You're in broadcast though, it's a different world (even if - as I assume - you're only managing the "computer" computers, and not all the broadcast stuff) - admittedly this is on the back of 3 months being a dogsbody at a studio project my dad was working on, while waiting for a visa to clear so I could start my first "proper" job - and as someone with an engineering guy the cabling guys didn't trust me to do the job well (in fairness, they were right)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
edit is not quote, aargh

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

captkirk posted:

For racks, I prefer hand made when possible to keep things clean. When you need a 4 foot run of cable it's nice to be able to have just a 4 foot run of cable. It's a, most likely irrational, response to the truly horrifying cable jobs I've seen using pre-mades (granted, I've seen even worse with hand made cables, but those were cases of someone just grabbing a cable laying around that had already been made).

I've found that the peace of mind in not worrying about you crimping something incorrectly (even after thousands of crimped ends I seriously doubt you'd be as consistent cable after cable as a machine in the cable making factory) is totally worth having a couple inches, or even a foot extra in a run. I definitely agree with making runs that are just the right length, and when we're wiring up racks we plan out the runs before anyone touches a screwdriver, but that just means ordering a bunch of different lengths, and unless you're really bad at planning, you won't have too much extra (and it can usually be used around the office somewhere).

Also, it's the one time I don't buy Monoprice - we get Allan-Tel cables because the push tab on the plug is so long that it's really easy to access (even on those 1U servers with a seemingly-recessed network port) and the time (and thumb skin) it saves not having to push down a tiny tab to remove a cable from a port is worth the extra cost.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was having my usual sort of dreams last night when next thing you know I was replacing the cartridges in an inkjet. It was going well at first, popping out the empties and snapping in the new ones, then I realized that there were still some empties to replace but I'd used up all the new ones in the box. Then I saw there was a second inkjet next to the first and that I'd been replacing some of the empties in that one as well. Whoops! I was trying to figure out how to get this sorted out when I noticed that the inkjet also had two large "waste water" cartridges with snap on lids, so I was attempting to remove them without spilling the water.

gently caress printers.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I was having my usual sort of dreams last night when next thing you know I was replacing the cartridges in an inkjet. It was going well at first, popping out the empties and snapping in the new ones, then I realized that there were still some empties to replace but I'd used up all the new ones in the box. Then I saw there was a second inkjet next to the first and that I'd been replacing some of the empties in that one as well. Whoops! I was trying to figure out how to get this sorted out when I noticed that the inkjet also had two large "waste water" cartridges with snap on lids, so I was attempting to remove them without spilling the water.

gently caress printers.

That poo poo's the worst. You spend all night dreaming about a bog standard day at work, then you wake up and actually have to go to work for real. It's like a triple shift.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

frogbert posted:

That poo poo's the worst. You spend all night dreaming about a bog standard day at work, then you wake up and actually have to go to work for real. It's like a triple shift.

I once dreamed that I was a database.

It turns out that being a database is really dull and your day is taken up doing joins and stuff.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

I was working on something until around 2AM last night - Then immediately had dreams about pulling an all nighter.

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

GargleBlaster posted:

Get asked to set something up that is, for various reasons, just not really feasible, and respond to that effect
They return to particular director, who says it's "basic IT" and to ask me again

Gee, I'm glad someone who doesn't work in IT, and doesn't know how this system works or the implications of his request, thinks it's "basic". Maybe he'd like to give it a go if he thinks he's clever enough.

Very familiar with that at my previous job (1 glorious month gone and counting). Perhaps the most blatant example occurred toward the end of my tenure... a user demanded that her aliases be split into three separate mailboxes. And that existing email that had been sent to those different aliases be sorted retroactively into the newly created mailboxes. I was told by the user to skip my lunch break to do this since she needed it done by 1 PM.

The joke was on her, I hadn't had a lunch break in months.

That coupled with driving more than 1000 miles most weeks due to a boss that could not understand the concept of space/time make me wonder why I didn't seek greener IT pastures sooner. Hooray for the year of the job!

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Since many of y'all don't wander into the amber forum below this one.

I went to reimage a laptop handed to me last week. Standard ole dell laptop, 320gb, running windows, just needed a new clean windows image.

Started up clonezilla it got to where it calls partition info off the old drive.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

enotnert posted:

Since many of y'all don't wander into the amber forum below this one.

I went to reimage a laptop handed to me last week. Standard ole dell laptop, 320gb, running windows, just needed a new clean windows image.

Started up clonezilla it got to where it calls partition info off the old drive.

System reserved, windows install, data partition, dell utility, dell restore.

That's the best I can do, where the hellndid the other 5 come from?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Fool posted:

System reserved, windows install, data partition, dell utility, dell restore.

That's the best I can do, where the hellndid the other 5 come from?

Someone who thinks it's still 1994 and it's a good idea to partition your hard drive as much as possible.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Install Windows posted:

Someone who thinks it's still 1994 and it's a good idea to partition your hard drive as much as possible.

Actually overheard at work a few years ago: "But, you see, if you keep the partition sizes below 2GB, then it minimizes your cluster sizes..."

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sfwarlock posted:

Actually overheard at work a few years ago: "But, you see, if you keep the partition sizes below 2GB, then it minimizes your cluster sizes..."

What can you even FIT bellow 2GB? I honestly read that as 2TB at first and was going to say that completely defeats the point of a RAID to partition the gently caress out of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will confess that last week I was trying to copy a 7 gig Outlook archive to a nice new USB 3.0 16 gig flash drive and kept getting the error that there wasn't enough room. I checked and the drive was empty, and even reformatted it.

Then I remembered these things come formatted for FAT32 and the format tool was also defaulting to that. :downs:

EDIT: You guys talking about cluster size probably remember wait states and RLL hard drives. Or dealing with IRQs. Sometimes I think people don't realize how hard it used to be just to use the drat PC. I supported an online game that eventually required 618k or so of system RAM and holy poo poo it was a bitch to get that much space without resorting to a boot disk. We were doing things like loading stuff into empty video memory space to try and get those last few k. I hated the developers for those RAM requirements.

How about expanded and extended memory? You think it's hard trying to explain hard drive storage vs. RAM, try that one.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 3, 2013

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oh god, ems, xms, and EMM386. that was a pain in the rear end, just to use your 4MB of RAM.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cluster size is starting to become A Thing at work for me. Customers buy drives to use for their backups, and a lot of newer drives use 4k clusters.

Sadly, almost all of my customers are still using Server 2003/2008.

4k drives are only fully supported by Windows 8 and Server 2012 (for Windows). Something less than 3% of my customers use Win8/2012. The other 97%, if they buy a 4k drive, will often experience random failures and other problems, because their OS isn't compatible with the drive that they bought.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

ConfusedUs posted:

Cluster size is starting to become A Thing at work for me. Customers buy drives to use for their backups, and a lot of newer drives use 4k clusters.

Sadly, almost all of my customers are still using Server 2003/2008.

4k drives are only fully supported by Windows 8 and Server 2012 (for Windows). Something less than 3% of my customers use Win8/2012. The other 97%, if they buy a 4k drive, will often experience random failures and other problems, because their OS isn't compatible with the drive that they bought.

I thought most of those had some kind of comparability mode built in.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

thebigcow posted:

I thought most of those had some kind of comparability mode built in.
Some but not all have jumpers that emulate 512 byte sectors, but it does cause a penalty on write speeds.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lord Byron III posted:

Very familiar with that at my previous job (1 glorious month gone and counting). Perhaps the most blatant example occurred toward the end of my tenure... a user demanded that her aliases be split into three separate mailboxes. And that existing email that had been sent to those different aliases be sorted retroactively into the newly created mailboxes. I was told by the user to skip my lunch break to do this since she needed it done by 1 PM.

The joke was on her, I hadn't had a lunch break in months.

That coupled with driving more than 1000 miles most weeks due to a boss that could not understand the concept of space/time make me wonder why I didn't seek greener IT pastures sooner. Hooray for the year of the job!

The problem I think is when things "sound simple". "Make this cloud based signage thing a screensaver for everyone" seems like a reasonable enough request on the surface. But deploying an Air app to a large number of PCs, having it run in "act a bit like a screensaver" mode at all times, and each one due to technicalities in the software having to download and cache the full presentation (including videos) on an ADSL connection every morning has practicality problems that I'm now having to write a document explaining, with references and calculations, so I can cover my arse.
It's not so much having to do that that's a problem, it's that my abilities and professionalism being called into question all the time lately is starting to offend me a bit.

I'll probably start hunting from next month though, once my hols are over. Just yesterday I was asked if I can write some procedures for the signage that I created so I can hand over day to day updates to someone else... this and them turning more towards external development for things like the website, and the fact we're physically downsizing shortly, tends to tell me it'd be a good idea to look at other opportunities.

It's a tricky balance - ideally I'd like to wait until they just get on and officially inform me that I'm going to be made redundant and take a nice fat payout on the way out, but... if it's going to be several months, it might work out better to jump straight into something else as we're pretty poorly paid here. Leave it too long, and there's the risk of having a period of unemployment (I'd rather fist myself)

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
A call came in..

On my on call mobile, at 3:30am and then 4:30am.

Some south London wideboy asking "is Bry-ony there innit"

I was not happy this morning. I need to remember to put the phone on silent before I go to sleep.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: You guys talking about cluster size probably remember wait states and RLL hard drives. Or dealing with IRQs. Sometimes I think people don't realize how hard it used to be just to use the drat PC. I supported an online game that eventually required 618k or so of system RAM and holy poo poo it was a bitch to get that much space without resorting to a boot disk. We were doing things like loading stuff into empty video memory space to try and get those last few k. I hated the developers for those RAM requirements.

How about expanded and extended memory? You think it's hard trying to explain hard drive storage vs. RAM, try that one.

I've probably already posted this in the last thread, but this was my ultimate achievement from the final days of my still owning a DOS gaming machine:

code:
Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name           Total       =   Conventional   +   Upper Memory
  --------  ----------------   ----------------   ----------------
  MSDOS       16,541   (16K)     16,541   (16K)          0    (0K)
  HIMEM        1,168    (1K)      1,168    (1K)          0    (0K)
  EMM386       4,144    (4K)      4,144    (4K)          0    (0K)
  COMMAND      2,928    (3K)      2,928    (3K)          0    (0K)
  TCPTSR      77,056   (75K)        272    (0K)     76,784   (75K)
  TINYRFC     18,496   (18K)        272    (0K)     18,224   (18K)
  NMTSR        6,160    (6K)      6,160    (6K)          0    (0K)
  ANSI         4,240    (4K)          0    (0K)      4,240    (4K)
  KEYB         7,856    (8K)          0    (0K)      7,856    (8K)
  DOSKEY       4,144    (4K)          0    (0K)      4,144    (4K)
  NEMM           672    (1K)          0    (0K)        672    (1K)
  UMB            688    (1K)          0    (0K)        688    (1K)
  SHSUCDX      5,808    (6K)          0    (0K)      5,808    (6K)
  CTMOUSE      3,328    (3K)          0    (0K)      3,328    (3K)
  OAKCDROM    28,912   (28K)          0    (0K)     28,912   (28K)
  IFSHLP       4,000    (4K)          0    (0K)      4,000    (4K)
  PROTMAN        400    (0K)          0    (0K)        400    (0K)
  RTSND       32,784   (32K)          0    (0K)     32,784   (32K)
  TCPDRV       1,328    (1K)          0    (0K)      1,328    (1K)
  Free       625,904  (611K)    623,744  (609K)      2,160    (2K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory       Total   =    Used    +    Free
  ----------------  ----------   ----------   ----------
  Conventional         655,360       31,616      623,744
  Upper                191,328      189,168        2,160
  Reserved                   0            0            0
  Extended (XMS)    66,852,000      316,576   66,535,424
  ----------------  ----------   ----------   ----------
  Total memory      67,698,688      537,360   67,161,328

Total under 1 MB     846,688      220,784      625,904

Largest executable program size        623,552   (609K)
  Largest free upper memory block          1,424     (1K)
  MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.
MS DOS 6.2, 609K free with working CD, DOSKEY, ANSI, MOUSE, TCP/IP and Microsoft Networking. No EMS support though, because gently caress trying to squeeze in a massive page frame in there as well!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lum posted:

Something wonderful...

That is a work of art!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah it's been posted before, but if I saw that in a job application it would go right into the "Definitely interview!" stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I sure do love troubleshooting wireless network bridges with no loving documentation whatsoever

• Locked thread