Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Caged posted:

I had OpenVPN connecting through a RB750GL with zero issues up to about a month ago when I got bored with it and replaced it with something else.

Is it slow to establish the connection or slow with throughput?
Slow to establish. Latency is reasonably good (haven't tested throughput), but any SSL sites are unusable (didn't check why, will today). IRC is unusable (ident always fails). I didn't even test beyond that, honestly. This works as expected with pfsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Sounds like an MTU issue. You need yo ensure path MTU discovery works end to end (basically don't block ICMP). You could manually mangle packets in routeros to do that too but blegh.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

falz posted:

Sounds like an MTU issue. You need yo ensure path MTU discovery works end to end (basically don't block ICMP). You could manually mangle packets in routeros to do that too but blegh.

So... where does MicroTik break this? If it works with DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and pfsense, where would I go looking in RouterOS?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

evol262 posted:

So... where does MicroTik break this? If it works with DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and pfsense, where would I go looking in RouterOS?

Allowing connection-state=related on the appropriate chains should allow ICMP error messages through. What are your OpenVPN settings?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SamDabbers posted:

Allowing connection-state=related on the appropriate chains should allow ICMP error messages through. What are your OpenVPN settings?

code:
client
dev tun0
dev-type tun

proto udp
topology subnet

remote fqdn 443
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
user openvpn
group openvpn

cd /etc/openvpn
cipher AES-256-CBC
reneg-sec 0
tls-remote fqdn

auth-user-pass
auth-nocache
I am not using the Microtik OpenVPN client (and cannot use it, since it's two-factor auth).

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Looks like routeros 6.1 has a fun bug where the DHCP server hangs with 100% CPU and doesn't hand out any more addresses. Emailed their support, but I'm sure the response from support will be to upgrade to something that has been tested even less extensively. There's lots of reports on their forum as well about this. How do you even ship something with a bug like that?

(http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74311 the latest point release also has a different 100% cpu bug :golfclap:)
edit: 6.2rc1 had the bug. Don't know if 6.2 does. Who wants to upgrade and find out?

pubic void nullo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 18, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Goddamnit MikroTik. :negative:

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

support@mikrotik.com posted:

Hello,

please upgrade your router to v6.2 this problem that you encountered should be fixed there.
OK, whatever. Let's see what I'm getting into. Browsing the changelog for 6.2...

quote:

*) fixed bug - sometimes some types of interfaces would stop working;
In what world is this an acceptable patch note?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

pubic void nullo posted:

OK, whatever. Let's see what I'm getting into. Browsing the changelog for 6.2...

In what world is this an acceptable patch note?

In Latvia

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Apparently. I'm continually amazed that they keep making "production" releases with such severe regressions. It's implicitly expected in beta/RC releases that things will break while they implement new features, but once the "dot zero" release drops they should only be making bug fixes. Where's the QA team at?

I'd like to see them change to a three-part versioning system/development discipline, e.g. x.y.z where
x = major release (new routing subsystem, kernel)
y = feature release (add/change minor config knobs, new hardware support)
z = bugfix/patch build (no functionality or interface changes)

Also, a public repo for the GPL components would be nice, but will never happen.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
They also like making hardware revisions without saying anything as some people found out with the RB2011.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Heads up, apparently there's a pretty horrible exploit in the sshd shipping in RouterOS 5 and 6.

You aren't exposing SSH to the outside world, right? Right?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Oh poo poo.

I have the ssh service disabled, but only to get rid of the log noise generated by bad logins. Isn't it enabled by default? That's gonna gently caress up a lot of people.

Edit: Looks like you can only use that exploit to crash sshd, not gain access. So it's not really that big of a deal.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 3, 2013

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Already fixed?

quote:

What's new in 6.3 (2013-Sep-03 12:25):

*) ssh - fixed denial of service;

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
If I want to prioritise only one service over all others I believe from my reading that I can simply mark that traffic with a new mark, and have everything else not marked and form the queues around that?

Im still reading and I am new to networks in general but it seems thats the theory. I can then say everything that is marked with X should receive priority while everything else should just share what is left over.

In this case I need to work on ensuring RDP has priority over people saturating my link.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

drk posted:

Already fixed?
Based on their history, the probability that the update fixes the issue while not introducing any new ones approaches 0.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Despite the xauth additions, it still doesn't look like it supports xauth groups, so you still can't use it as a cisco client without using metarouter. Too bad, it's what I wanted to use it for...

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I have a little script here that comes in handy. It pulls the block list from dshield.org ( a regularly updated list of the top 20 botnet/malware producing networks ) and slaps them into an address list to do with what you please.

code:

/tool fetch address=feeds.dshield.org host=feeds.dshield.org mode=http src-path=block.txt

##
## DSHIELD Drop List
##

:if ( [/file get [/file find name=block.txt] size] > 0 ) do={

/ip firewall address-list remove [/ip firewall address-list find list=dshield]

:global content [/file get [/file find name=block.txt] contents] ;
 :global contentLen [ :len $content ] ;

:global lineEnd 0;
 :global line "";
 :global lastEnd 0;

:do {
      :set lineEnd [:find $content "\n" $lastEnd ] ;
      :set line [:pick $content $lastEnd $lineEnd] ;
      :set lastEnd ( $lineEnd + 1 ) ;

:if ( [:pick $line 0 1] != "#" ) do={

:if ([:typeof [:toip [:pick $line 0 [:find $line "\t"] ] ] ] != "nil") do={
     :local pos1 [:find $line "\t" 0]
     :local pos2 [:find $line "\t" $pos1]
     :local pos3 [:find $line "\t" $pos2]
     :log info ( "DShield Entry: " . [:pick $line 0 $pos1 ] . "/" . [:pick $line ($pos2+1) $pos3 ] )
     /ip firewall address-list add list=dshield address=( [:pick $line 0 $pos1 ] . "/" . [:pick $line ($pos2+1) $pos3 ] )
        }

}

} while ($lineEnd < $contentLen)

}
You can then set it to run however much you want

code:
/system script
.. scheduler
add name=<Name> interval=<whateveryouwant> on-event=<name_of_your_script>
I have inbound and outbound drop rules applied to that address-list. Seems to work pretty well.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Thanks for the script! That's really nifty!

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Question.

I'm the sysadmin for a company of about 400 people, 300 with computers and has ~12 remote branches.

It's very rural and the IT budget suffers hard because of this. I was considering rolling out MikroTik at all our branch locations to save some money for more important things like upgrading our loving 40% Windows XP machines. The only thing I'm not sure about is the VPN. Is there any stable VPN solution you guys use with MikroTik? Or can someone recommend third party?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

They support several different types of VPNs. Are you talking point to point between sites or client VPNs for you to occasionally connect to a site?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Both. Each branch (including the central office) would be connected to each other via site to site VPN in a full mesh configuration (for voip) rather than star, and then each branch would also allow client VPN access.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Sure you can do GRE or IPIP tunnels and encrypt with IPSec for the site to site links. That would allow you to run IGP (ospf) to allow traffic to other sites to follow other tunnels if you want to. However, depending on the # of sites you'll run in to scalability issues. 3 sites = 3 VPN tunnels on each router (9 configs), 4 = 16 configs, etc. I don't think RouterOS has any cisco-style DMVPN that I believe deals with that situation.

Hub and spoke would be better if you had a logically central site, possibly a data center, where you could have a VPN to redundant routers at that location so each spoke site would only require two tunnels to a well connected/well peered up ISP.

For client VPN you can take your pick - OpenVPN, PPTP, IPSec client.

Also you should get some real point to point layer 2 connection if you want VOIP to work properly between sites. Trusting random DSL or cablemodem connections over the internet probably won't turn out so well. My $.02.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Hi, thread. RouterOS 6.4 breaks WinBox input forms randomly. That is all.

:doom:

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

falz posted:

Sure you can do GRE or IPIP tunnels and encrypt with IPSec for the site to site links. That would allow you to run IGP (ospf) to allow traffic to other sites to follow other tunnels if you want to. However, depending on the # of sites you'll run in to scalability issues. 3 sites = 3 VPN tunnels on each router (9 configs), 4 = 16 configs, etc. I don't think RouterOS has any cisco-style DMVPN that I believe deals with that situation.

Hub and spoke would be better if you had a logically central site, possibly a data center, where you could have a VPN to redundant routers at that location so each spoke site would only require two tunnels to a well connected/well peered up ISP.

For client VPN you can take your pick - OpenVPN, PPTP, IPSec client.

Also you should get some real point to point layer 2 connection if you want VOIP to work properly between sites. Trusting random DSL or cablemodem connections over the internet probably won't turn out so well. My $.02.

Perfect, thanks, I'll do some more research on this.

Wolf on Air posted:

Hi, thread. RouterOS 6.4 breaks WinBox input forms randomly. That is all.

:doom:

:ohdear:

Thanks for the heads up. Was just about to load it on a new router.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 13, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Honestly I would probably look at Vyatta for your hub VPN concentrator, because at least that way if you're hitting CPU bottlenecks, you can move the config over to a faster machine.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

RouterOS runs on x86 too. A few of the rb1xxx's have crypto offload as well.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
My old Soekris net5501 with a 500MHz AMD Geode is hitting the CPU limits at around 130Mbps aggregate bandwidth on my new glorious 100/100 home connection. My firewall/QoS ruleset is way too heavy for it :sigh:

It's lasted me since 2007!

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 14, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
My heart bleeds for you and your 100/100 connection, you lucky bastard.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I just installed a new Mikrotik router for a client. It's working great with one exception. They have a VOIP unit on the network that can't make or receive calls. I setup the NAT to forward the appropriate ports to the static LAN IP on the device but it still doesn't work. I also tried turning off the NAT helper service ports for SIP and H323 but that didn't work.

I suspect it may be a masquerading issue? Before I gently caress around with this more, does anyone have any ideas? The client had a SonicWALL unit prior and we had to enable both "SIP Transformations" and "H323 Transformations" to get it to work.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

SIP natively has NAT issues. Does their SIP device support a STUN server? That would allow it to determine its public IP to put in the SIP header instead of its actual rfc1918 private IP.

The sonicwall could've been doing some fuckery to rewrite the header with appropriate public IP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a SIP helper on the Mikrotik's that I've found causes more problems than it solves, if you're just using a SIP trunk or one device then you can disable it. You should be able to enter the external IP in the SIP client (PBX, handset etc), and then it's just a case of making sure the relevant ports are forwarded (don't forget SIP voice traffic travels over UDP).

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

IT Guy posted:

I just installed a new Mikrotik router for a client. It's working great with one exception. They have a VOIP unit on the network that can't make or receive calls. I setup the NAT to forward the appropriate ports to the static LAN IP on the device but it still doesn't work. I also tried turning off the NAT helper service ports for SIP and H323 but that didn't work.

Can you ping the VoIP unit from within the Mikrotik? Is it using the same IP range as all the other LAN devices? What indicator lights does it show when it boots up?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

So gently caress me. Ignore everything I said.

The issue was a simple I had the NAT settings forward to the wrong IP address.

I fixed that, tried the voip again, didn't work, re-enabled the SIP and H323 IP helpers and voila, it's working.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

You may want to check to see if your SIP device supports STUN/Nat server entry anyway so you don't have to mess with the router's config to make it work (other than the NAT entry inbound)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ugh, I'm seriously irritated with my RB751. It's becoming more and more vexing as to what configuration settings are best for my home wireless setup. The RB750 chugs along without a hitch while this thing freaks out and resets itself or drops link on me. Part of that was goofy drivers on my laptop but it's also just generally lovely behavior from the 751.

I think I've got things stabilized and am hoping this will be the last time I have to put any time into fiddling with this horrid contraption. What's worse is that we sell these things like hotcakes at work and I worry that they are performing like poo poo for our customers. We don't get any complaints about them until they burn up but somehow I got one of the :downs: ones I guess.

How about you folks? Any gripes about the RB751 series or any of the other offerings?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I have a 751 running as a basic bridged AP and it's been rock solid for me. I don't have any Apple products though, so that may have something to do with it.

Edit: A bad power brick may be causing the reboots. Try swapping it out.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 30, 2013

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I know this is the Mikrotik thread, but I figured since they're in the same price-level, someone might know...

Has anyone used the EdgeRouter Lite system from Ubiquiti, and if so, what did you think of them?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

nexxai posted:

Has anyone used the EdgeRouter Lite system from Ubiquiti, and if so, what did you think of them?

I have one, and I love it. It runs kinda warm, but that's really the only complaint I have about it. The developers are amazingly responsive to bug reports and feature requests, and being able to run arbitrary Linux software on it is fantastic. The only things that aren't open-source are Ubiquiti's custom web GUI and the hardware offload kernel modules, so it's really easy to tinker with if you want to do something it doesn't support out of the box. Also, OpenVPN is fully supported, even in UDP mode :mmmhmm:

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah, they're great little boxes, but they do have CPU limits in how much you can do with them. QoS tends to tax things more than anything else.

nexxai posted:

Also if you have a pc laying around, you can install the community version of Vyatta and run the current revision of the same software the Ubiquiti's running.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 30, 2013