Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I just got into this game (10 hours in), and I'm just now on page 20 something of the thread, but I have two questions:

1) How can I see the anime, legally? (I'm in the US.)
2) Should I wait until I've beaten the game to watch it?

Thanks.

1) Hulu
2) Yes, the animation has a lot of neat references to the game that you'd miss without context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Firebert posted:

1) Hulu
2) Yes, the animation has a lot of neat references to the game that you'd miss without context

But does it spoil the game? That's more of what I'm concerned about even though I read a spoiler about which character is evil or whatnot, but I don't know the full extent of it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a literal adaptation of the game. So yeah, it spoils it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

It's a literal adaptation of the game. So yeah, it spoils it.

Or from a certain point of view, the game spoils the anime. :v:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Hell, if you watched the anime first before playing the game you might have actually been surprised by the revelation that Naoto's a girl since Mary McGlynn does a way more convincing boyish voice than the actress in the game does.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 2, 2013

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Double post

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

I just got into this game (10 hours in), and I'm just now on page 20 something of the thread, but I have two questions:

1) How can I see the anime, legally? (I'm in the US.)
2) Should I wait until I've beaten the game to watch it?

Thanks.

The anime pretty much spoils the entire game's plot so yes, I'd play the game first. Even the fighting game spoils some stuff if you want to play the story mode in that one.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As far as seeing the Anime legally, it's still available from major retailers on Muti-Language DVD and English Only Blu-Ray. I got mine from deepdiscount.com because it was about :10bux: cheaper than the Walmart prices after shipping and tax. Don't buy at MSRP.

If you're looking for an online stream, Anime Network has you covered for free on the Japanese version, but you have to subscribe for English. http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Persona-4/Watch

I watched the anime before getting the game on PS2. The Anime really only helps during a critical decision point in December, and of course spoils the story, but it made me a fan.

E: Also, the best episodes are Summer Vacation and School Trip

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 2, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just played through the camping trip. I rolled my eyes when people posted how they put the Vita down to laugh during some parts of this game, but I literally did that for a split second during the camping trip. This game :allears:.

Couple of questions:

- Does it matter which girl the MC chooses to date? Story or stats-wise?
- I really wanna use Kanji, but if I don't, will he still show up in the story? Same for other characters? His dialogue is the best so far, not sure if it works like Mass Effect or something.
- Do you have to watch The Midnight Channel to see who gets kidnapped, or will the game force you to when someone is kidnapped?

Thanks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Soul Glo posted:

- Does it matter which girl the MC chooses to date? Story or stats-wise?
- I really wanna use Kanji, but if I don't, will he still show up in the story? Same for other characters? His dialogue is the best so far, not sure if it works like Mass Effect or something.
- Do you have to watch The Midnight Channel to see who gets kidnapped, or will the game force you to when someone is kidnapped?

Which girl you date matters to two scenes later in the game and gets you an item in one of them. It's not that important.

The story remains the same whichever characters you use, but you should still use Kanji because he rules and does huge damage.

The game will force you to watch the Midnight Channel to confirm a kidnapping.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

alcharagia posted:

Which girl you date matters to two scenes later in the game and gets you an item in one of them. It's not that important.

It's worth mentioning that if you date more than one girl, the game will try its hardest to make you feel like a piece of poo poo later on.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Different girls give you different things at certain points, I think but that's it. Kanji, along with your reserve members, will be present in story cutscenes, so he'll be there and he's the best. The game will force you to watch the MC once it's time, so don't bother with it.

e:f,b

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Excellent, I was worried about the Midnight Channel, but I won't now.

I guess I'll bench Yosuke for Kanji, since Garu hasn't been vital yet (and my MC has it somewhere, anyway, I think). Also have to decide who to bench once Teddie becomes available, 'cause he's in for sure. (Are spoiler tags necessary for party members at this point? Probably not, right?)

Wish there was a resource to give advice at which level to be at which week. I've only been in the tv once since the second dungeon; completely ignored it for the week following that, up to the camping trip. After the camping trip I'm just at level 25, but I've made some good slink progress. Unfortunately I've stalled with Nanako until I have enough Expression to TELL HER WHY PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE :psyduck:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 3, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
You don't really have to worry too much about going in the TV periodically. It's pretty trivial to go in and clear dungeons in a single day, even if you have to fart around on lower floors to gain levels first. Just make sure you link up with the fox so he doesn't charge you an arm and a leg to refill your SP.

You also don't need to worry about being underleveled, because EXP scales with your level. If you're underleveled when you enter a dungeon, try and work out a few battles and you'll be up to speed in no time. (This also makes it super easy to keep your entire team leveled, since you can bring one weak guy into the dungeon for a couple floors and he catches up.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Unfortunately I've stalled with Nanako until I have enough Expression to TELL HER WHY PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE :psyduck:

You need to play with more cats. Or spend time with the culture clubs I guess

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 3, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In the main story everyone pops up no matter what.

In the S. Links you can pick and choose who you want to see, since you probably won't get around to maxing them all out unless you really aim for it.

Maxing S. Links ALSO gives a bunch of combat bonuses, so it's a good idea to use the party members whose S. Links you'd also like to see but it's not required or anything.

You can have a party of whoever you want, but usually:

Don't have Kanji and Chie at the same time
Don't have Teddie and Yukiko at the same time

Nobody's stopping you from doing it, but those characters perform really similar roles by default.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kanji and Chie do the same stuff, but they're also your two best damage dealers until you can get Yukiko's Mind Charge and ultimate Persona. They're great together against any boss that's not immune to Physical.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You might run into some trouble with regular enemies, though. Unless you cover all of the magic weaknesses with the MC I suppose.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think they added a couple points where your relationship with a party member comes up with the team. My first time through the game I picked Yumi to date.Like normal all the holidays were spent with her. I chose to date Chie on my following playthrough and in a new scene added for P4G Yoske complains about not having a date at the summer festival. Both the MC and Chie look away nervously and he figures out what is going on. I assume it would be the same for the other parts added, but I have detoured to finish P3P for the first time ever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Really Pants posted:

Kanji and Chie do the same stuff, but they're also your two best damage dealers until you can get Yukiko's Mind Charge and ultimate Persona. They're great together against any boss that's not immune to Physical.

They're comparable but I'd say Chie is far better for dungeon crawling and Kanji better for bosses. I tend to prefer Chie on bosses that love physical attacks because High Counter.

And I pretty much don't regret using Teddie over Yukiko once he came in, those buffs outstrip Yukiko's damage for me.

In any case, is it possible to get the Risette trophy without getting the underleveled lines? I'm going to be doing NG+ for the secret boss anyway since I've heard the lines carry over but it'd be sweet if I can get it in one playthrough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Actually, there's really no reason to use Chie over Kanji once you get his S.Link up enough and get Power Charge.

And then in the endgame you get a Rudra Ring and you're throwing Power Charged Primal Forces for half HP. :getin:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
You don't even need to use Power Charge all that often if you do get Rise's SL up since she'll start tossing out free Power/Mind charges like it's candy.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

MrAristocrates posted:

Actually, there's really no reason to use Chie over Kanji once you get his S.Link up enough and get Power Charge.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chie will always have a place in my party.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

This alone is enough reason for me to never drop Chie. "Kaboom!"

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've heard the lines carry over

From my experience getting that trophy during my second playthrough, they almost certainly don't.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Chie is awesome in the anime, but she's also pretty hardcore in the manga adaptation. I don't have the image handy, but she fights her Shadow by dragon kicking it while giving a speech about accepting her faults. Not sure if it was ever finished/released in the US, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had a link to the anime bookmarked but now I dont have it anymore. :( I never got around to watching it too. It should be okay to link here too because it was never brought to the west and is only in Japanese as far as I know.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I had a link to the anime bookmarked but now I dont have it anymore. :( I never got around to watching it too. It should be okay to link here too because it was never brought to the west and is only in Japanese as far as I know.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Persona-4/Watch (Legal Japanese version for free)

It's Licensed by Sentai Filmworks and the P4G cast does all the voices.
http://www.sentai-filmworks.com/index.php?option=com_catalog&Itemid=54&view=item&id=677

(It's around $33 a set on most sites.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dehry posted:

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Persona-4/Watch (Legal Japanese version for free)

It's Licensed by Sentai Filmworks and the P4G cast does all the voices.
http://www.sentai-filmworks.com/index.php?option=com_catalog&Itemid=54&view=item&id=677

(It's around $33 a set on most sites.)

You're my favorite goon forever now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did the anime ever recover from its awful animation budget? I never botherd watching it but I remember people making a big stink for the first half or so.

I wish I had the image handy but things like Double Chie was pretty inexcusable (but hilarious)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did the anime ever recover from its awful animation budget? I never botherd watching it but I remember people making a big stink for the first half or so.

I wish I had the image handy but things like Double Chie was pretty inexcusable (but hilarious)

I somehow never noticed this while watching and had to Google it.

That's really something.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Don't have Teddie and Yukiko at the same time

Nobody's stopping you from doing it, but those characters perform really similar roles by default.

I think this is very debatable. If anything, you wouldn't want to have Teddie and Yosuke at same time. Yukiko is a major damage dealer, especially in late game (once you have final persona, mind charge and that insane fire attack) and with appropriate gear/skill setup. Teddie never even comes close, he is more all around support with some healing/damage thrown in.

Edit: I am also curious how you can outstrip her damage with Teddie since its highest level fire attack that's also unavailable to anyone else and it's Mind Charged.... MC/Yosuke/Anyone else can throw an attack buff on top of that, sure, (and Rise will do that anyway for free half the tiem), but the damage scale itself is not comparable besides some of the higher level MC personas with specialized skills. Throw in right damage boost accessories and skills, and she can wipe out most non bosses by herself fairly easily. Not that you need that with proper MC persona setup, but if we are talking damage output, it's hard to beat Yukiko, and she has a giant SP pool as a bonus as well as highest level healing.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 3, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I somehow never noticed this while watching and had to Google it.

That's really something.

This was fixed in the bluray/dvd release. Actually a lot of stuff changed between the aired and home video release.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oblomov posted:

I think this is very debatable. If anything, you wouldn't want to have Teddie and Yosuke at same time. Yukiko is a major damage dealer, especially in late game (once you have final persona, mind charge and that insane fire attack) and with appropriate gear/skill setup. Teddie never even comes close, he is more all around support with some healing/damage thrown in.
I would disagree because their buffs don't overlap, where as with Yukiko you're getting two characters with high magic and heavy healing.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had Chie and Kanji on my team for a while, as well as Yukiko and Teddie until I got Naoto. I didn't have any problems with it.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

My go-to party is Yosuke, Yukiko and Teddie, with my character either using Odin or Thor for lightning weaknesses. All three party buffs, Yukiko for healing and murder by fire, every elemental weakness covered. The downside is no-one's copping a chair across the face.

I used Kanji in my first playthrough but it bothered me that I had to sacrifice Yukiko's damage output every two turns or so to heal him up. At least with all spellcasting party members everyone can just SP-dump unless something goes wrong.

Naoto is of course still useless :P

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
It's not a hard game, so you can easily get away with building a team of all your favorite characters without any thought into who can do what, as long as you adjust your MC's Personas to make up for any gaps.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How hard is this game on very hard? Hard really isn't too bad. I've got 50 hours in, but I've failed to get all the s. links, so I'm thinking about starting a new game alltogether, trying to do it right this time. Do you need more grinding in very hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As far as I recall, the main (or possibly only) difference between the two is that Very Hard kicks you back to the title screen when you die.

• Locked thread