Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

The_Frag_Man posted:

The feedback from that Bethesda guy is pretty brutal, but I have to wonder about it. There were third party titles at launch after all like ZombiU. I think he's really just saying that the hardware isn't suitable for the large open world type games that they want to make, which is fair enough.

When you think about it that way, the hardware starts to make sense as a whole. Instead of seeing it previously as a lovely tri-core with a useless tablet controller, from another perspective it makes sense as a whole product designed around the dual-screen tablet controller experience. It's just not something that any consumers or third party wanted. I think, I 'get' the Wii U now. It's not a lovely next gen system that pales in comparison to the others. It was never supposed to be a next gen system, it was supposed to be a dual-screen tablet controller system.

Thinking about that interview changed my perspective a bit. The thing is that what consumers/gamers wanted and what Nintendo are offering are different things. Nintendo aren't offering a next-gen system like Sony and Microsoft are. When you look at the system as a next-gen system, it falls short because of lovely specs and an expensive and useless controller. It's not really a normal console. It's not a low-spec console with a useless controller. If you look at it as the dual-screen tablet game system, then I guess it's pretty good compared to the price of a PS4 + Vita. The problem Nintendo have is that nobody wanted a dual-screen console from Nintendo, and people are comparing it to the hypothetical next-gen system that could have been, and feeling that it falls short or is too expensive for what you get.

Am I making sense? The Wii U looked silly and under powered to me before, but now I get what it is, and now it seems to me like it will never turn around as there's simply no market for it.
Why did Nintendo think people want/wanted a system like this? Developers don't want to make dual-screen tablet games, and consumers want next-gen systems.

It is still a system no one wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Most games really just use the Wii U tablet for offscreen gaming. Very few games take advantage of the assymetrical gameplay, and it really only shines in Nintendo land and enabling 5-player co-op (like Sonic racing).

Nintendo saw how well tablets were doing and thought that incorporating a tablet was a good idea. I think this was touched on long ago in this thread, however.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The_Frag_Man posted:

Why did Nintendo think people want/wanted a system like this? Developers don't want to make dual-screen tablet games, and consumers want next-gen systems.

Also a well-discussed topic, but it's mostly due to Nintendo's complete ignorance towards the evolution of gaming and the gamer as a whole. Whereas Sony and Microsoft went to major developers asking for input as to what their next console needs to attract developers to their system, Nintendo made a console that was convenient for their purposes alone and basically told third-parties to deal with it.

Whereas Sony and Microsoft continue to improve on their online infrastructure cause it's become a standard for gaming, Nintendo barely wants to admit the internet exists and only adds barebone features and an online infrastructure so poor that developers are already cutting online features from WiiU ports that are present in PS3/360.

Nintendo was also ignorant of HD in general. While developers for the PS3 and 360 have had 6-7 years of practice to make those cutting-edge graphics for next-gen systems, Nintendo entered the HD market as complete rookies, and their pitifully slow development time and laughable first year with the WiiU is proof of this.

Nintendo was attempting to create a console that could appeal to both their no-longer-existing Wii userbase, and bring back the core gamer after they got alienated by the Wii. The problem of course, is that the Wii was a monstrously successful fluke, and all those moms and grandmas who originally bought a Wii have moved on to their tablets and phones for gaming. The core gamer isn't buying it either, cause they're smart enough to know that the PS4 and even the Xbone are far better value for the money. What's going to happen to the WiiU once developers start abandoning the PS3/360 and go pure PS4/Xbone? Any scraps the WiiU is getting now are going to completely disappear.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There's no point in just dropping support the Wii U and starting again with a new console, because developers will be just as skeptical of that one. They need to both improve the current console, as well as communicate with developers on how to make the next one better. Even if the Wii U only lasts about four years before the replacement comes, Sony was able to turn their console around in the same period of time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Nintendo were to kill off the Wii U and start over, I would be even more unlikely to give the new system a chance. Nintendo needs to show they could turn the Wii U around and have it eventually turn into a successful console. If they kill the Wii U off it should be because they want to focus on the handheld market only from here on out.

I was smart and held onto that belief with the Sega Dreamcast. Sega discontinued the Saturn, so why does it make sense at all to get the Dreamcast? Sure enough that system suffered the same fate.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bovineicide posted:

This argument was really naive 15 years ago, and it still is today. Their handhelds print money, and they aren't going to give that up so they can make less money by paying Sony and Microsoft licensing fees. Neither of them have a viable mobile device for games right now, anyway. The iOS and Play stores are right out because few people play phone games outside of waiting rooms or the shitter. Also, the average age of a Steam user is way the gently caress out of their intended audience.

It all boils down to nerds on the internet whining that, "I can't play Mario and Pokemon on my Playstation, and that's not faaaaaaaair! :qq:" Meanwhile, Iwata and Co. are going to continue wiping their asses with $100 bills because a new set of Pokemon games comes out next month. Yes, the Wii-U is pretty hosed, but their handhelds aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Even if the Wii U died a Dreamcast death, Nintendo still has the handheld market. There is no way they would make a PS4/XBO Zelda or Mario just because they aren't making the WIi U anymore. They would focus their efforts on the handheld market and keep their IPs exclusive. Does nobody realize that?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Their next handheld will probably be approaching WiiU strength anyway, and they'll probably give it a dongle to stream to an hdmi port.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

greatn posted:

Their next handheld will probably be approaching WiiU strength anyway, and they'll probably give it a dongle to stream to an hdmi port.

If they stick with the two screens, they may as well keep the system as close in specs as possible and just do some straight ports of WiiU games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I really don't understand folks saying "there's only room for two consoles, Nintendo should duck out." Nintendo won the last console war by any measure of things that isn't "Nintendo doesn't count because...", and a flop afterward doesn't change that.

The customers are there, the same ones that X360 and PS3 ignored last time, Nintendo just has to figure out how to get them. It's a marketing issue. Figure out some great family ways to use the second screen (apparently Nintendo Land had a lot of good ideas) and improve the wiimote use and such, emphasize that it's a new console and not a peripheral (they really dropped the ball here), and promote the poo poo out of it somewhere that isn't Nintendo Direct. Direct is a great news resource, but only if you know and care it exists. I saw Wii ads all over TV, and nothing for the Wii U. For that matter push out some ads for Direct as well, and turn the PC archive page into a prettied-up portal. Make Direct easy to browse for folks who don't have a system yet, and make it easy for them to go from that to buying a system.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I really don't understand folks saying "there's only room for two consoles, Nintendo should duck out." Nintendo won the last console war by any measure of things that isn't "Nintendo doesn't count because...", and a flop afterward doesn't change that.

Says who? And don't cite sales numbers, that doesn't do anything for anyone but Nintendo. I think the Wii failed miserably. It was nothing but Nintendo exclusives and shovel ware (with only a handful of unique exceptions), making it a pretty unappealing console for most people. The system sold well but its library of games was really weak, and software profits were nothing compared to what Sony or Microsoft made because the audience on the Wii is not the type to buy video games often. Maybe 2 or 3 titles a year total.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The customers are there, the same ones that X360 and PS3 ignored last time, Nintendo just has to figure out how to get them. It's a marketing issue. Figure out some great family ways to use the second screen (apparently Nintendo Land had a lot of good ideas) and improve the wiimote use and such, emphasize that it's a new console and not a peripheral (they really dropped the ball here), and promote the poo poo out of it somewhere that isn't Nintendo Direct. Direct is a great news resource, but only if you know and care it exists. I saw Wii ads all over TV, and nothing for the Wii U. For that matter push out some ads for Direct as well, and turn the PC archive page into a prettied-up portal. Make Direct easy to browse for folks who don't have a system yet, and make it easy for them to go from that to buying a system.

If Nintendo wants to get their Wii customers back they should put Mario on the iPad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bruceski posted:

There's the whole thing where console lifecycles can be expected to be a decent deal longer now, so having your console permanently in a distant third place is going to be much more of a problem.

Seriously, imagine how it's going to look playing games on the Wii U in 5 years? We all remember that the Wii had very little worthwhile games coming out in its last few years.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bruceski posted:

They won sales. That's hardly the only determining factor in who "won" the current console war.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Just like with the Wii, when the next new Zelda game comes out, the Wii U will be my $300 Zelda system. Am I the only one?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Alright I think I figured it out. Cookie Clicker port for the Wii U.

Where's my check? Can I cash it out into cookies?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

They won sales. That's hardly the only determining factor in who "won" the current console war.

Wii sold the most and made the most money but did it win the hearts and minds of the people?

Seriously, this is moving goalposts.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I said come in! posted:

Says who? And don't cite sales numbers, that doesn't do anything for anyone but Nintendo.

Well your definition of winning is arbitrary based on the console you got the most enjoyment on it seems.

Haven't Sony and Microsofts gaming divisions posted losses in the billions of dollars combined over the last 10 years? Nintendo posts it's first loss and it's all doom and gloom.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Wii sold the most and made the most money but did it win the hearts and minds of the people?

Do we have any actual numbers on this? Cause as far as I know this isn't true. Software sales for Nintendo were actually pretty awful in comparison. This is why Nintendo was banking on bringing in the hardcore crowd with the Wii U. Their core audience on the Wii, for all intents and purposes was totally useless to Nintendo. Lots of them, but they weren't buying software in the numbers Nintendo wanted.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The customers are there, the same ones that X360 and PS3 ignored last time, Nintendo just has to figure out how to get them.

Those customers became forever more unreachable to Nintendo after they bought their first and last $200 console. They don't care about Mario. They don't care about dual screens. They don't care about having a better Wii, because they have no concept of what another console might do that the Wii doesn't already do for them. They've moved on to smart phones and tablets.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The customers are there, the same ones that X360 and PS3 ignored last time, Nintendo just has to figure out how to get them.

You don't. The Wii is essentially a fad machine that relied on good press and was able to quickly and cheaply churn out a large amount of titles that capitalized on it's primary gimmick. To reignite the interest that pushed the Wii so hard you either need to A) Find a way to package the same experience, only slightly more refined and/or at a cheaper price point or B) offer a product that's the same style but orders of magnitude more well designed so that you can justify a higher price point and re-adoption rate. And in the year 2013, you still have to solve the question of how you get people to go along with this when you can get game content on smartphones and tablets.

Sweetgrass fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 3, 2013

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Nobody denies that the Wii moved the most consoles but while it drew in a ton of customers who usually didn't play games, it failed to convert them into people who'd buy games and consoles. Plus, in terms of games, Nintendo's stuff sold well but third-parties didn't do nearly so well. Combined with Nintendo's apparent lack of serious third-party development support leading up to the Wii U, it's no surprise that developers and publishers aren't really eager to release anything on the Wii U.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Do we have any actual numbers on this? Cause as far as I know this isn't true. Software sales for Nintendo were actually pretty awful in comparison. This is why Nintendo was banking on bringing in the hardcore crowd with the Wii U. Their core audience on the Wii, for all intents and purposes was totally useless to Nintendo. Lots of them, but they weren't buying software in the numbers Nintendo wanted.

I definitely saw an article with more recent numbers but I'm at work so its hard for me to find it. This is the next best thing but a bit outdated.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/01/24/wii-tie-ratio-at-81-in-december

If I get a chance, I'll look for the more recent article. It talked about wii's attach rate that suddenly dropped off in the last years of the consoles life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sweetgrass posted:

To reignite the interest that pushed the Wii so hard you either need to A) Find a way to package the same experience, only slightly more refined and/or at a cheaper price point or

Hi, I'm the casual customer who helped make the Wii a success. You're telling me there's another console out there that costs over $100 and offers Wii Tennis? I already have Wii Tennis! What do you mean it has better controls? It controlled fine! What are graphics? It looked fine!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I definitely saw an article with more recent numbers but I'm at work so its hard for me to find it. This is the next best thing but a bit outdated.

If I get a chance, I'll look for the more recent article. It talked about wii's attach rate that suddenly dropped off in the last years of the consoles life.

Well that for sure goes against everything i've heard. That seems like a pretty impressive number, and the drop off at the end of the consoles life is not unexpected. Wouldn't hold that against the Wii, just a fact of a new console coming out. It'll happen to the 360 and PS3 as well.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Well that for sure goes against everything i've heard. That seems like a pretty impressive number, and the drop off at the end of the consoles life is not unexpected. Wouldn't hold that against the Wii, just a fact of a new console coming out. It'll happen to the 360 and PS3 as well.

Yeah, I know its a bit :tinfoil: but theres a lot of misinformation about the Wii as a brand and nintendo. In fact Emily Rogers wrote a whole article about how one of the major issues with nintendo right now is they have been fighting bad press.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Yeah, I know its a bit :tinfoil: but theres a lot of misinformation about the Wii as a brand and nintendo. In fact Emily Rogers wrote a whole article about how one of the major issues with nintendo right now is they have been fighting bad press.

I think you're totally right about that. There were some things I use to assume were true about Nintendo that i've recently discovered were not. Microsoft and Sony have the same problems, but it seems like its not on the same level as Nintendo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I said come in! posted:

Do Pollyanna references still work on people or is it too old at this point?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Yeah... but... but... all those games are just shovelware so those don't count! :rolleyes:

Seriously, have the Playstation and XBox divisions as a whole ever turned a profit? I get Sony and Microsofts desire to be in the living rooms of every household in the world, but how much money do they need to lose in order to put Nintendo out of business so that they can "Win". I don't get it...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheScott2K posted:

Do Pollyanna references still work on people or is it too old at this point?

When you look for the bad in a system expecting to find it, you surely will find it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Yeah... but... but... all those games are just shovelware so those don't count! :rolleyes:

Seriously, have the Playstation and XBox divisions as a whole ever turned a profit? I get Sony and Microsofts desire to be in the living rooms of every household in the world, but how much money do they need to lose in order to put Nintendo out of business so that they can "Win". I don't get it...

I thought Playstation was basically the only profitable thing in Sony and is keeping them afloat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bovineicide posted:

This argument was really naive 15 years ago, and it still is today. Their handhelds print money, and they aren't going to give that up so they can make less money by paying Sony and Microsoft licensing fees. Neither of them have a viable mobile device for games right now, anyway. The iOS and Play stores are right out because few people play phone games outside of waiting rooms or the shitter. Also, the average age of a Steam user is way the gently caress out of their intended audience.

It all boils down to nerds on the internet whining that, "I can't play Mario and Pokemon on my Playstation, and that's not faaaaaaaair! :qq:" Meanwhile, Iwata and Co. are going to continue wiping their asses with $100 bills because a new set of Pokemon games comes out next month. Yes, the Wii-U is pretty hosed, but their handhelds aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

What? I said they should keep making handhelds in the first sentence and my post had nothing to do with handhelds.

It has nothing to do with fairness. It would make sense for a company with a failing system and popular IP's to start bringing their IP's other consoles. How many people would buy Mario and Zelda if they didn't have to buy a system they didn't want to play them?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

This is pretty much why Nintendo going third-party wouldn't be good for fans of their games. Look at what happened to Sega as both a publisher and developer once they left the hardware business.

What happened to Sega is Segas fault, not their decision to duck out of the console wars. They don't even bother to advertise their games.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 3, 2013

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

greatn posted:

I thought Playstation was basically the only profitable thing in Sony and is keeping them afloat.

Sony makes way, way, way more stuff than just game consoles. Keep in mind Sony gets those sweet, sweet licensing fees for all Blu-Ray discs. Also any number of non-playstation entertainment devices.

^^edit: I sure as hell would. I'm all but guaranteed to get a PS4 at some point if for no other reason than because fighting games aren't going to be switching to PC anytime soon, owing to the need for standardized hardware in the genre. There's already several great first party IP's I'm looking forward to on it, and a Zelda game would essentially make it my ideal console.

edit2: It's still not going to happen, but a man can dream. :allears:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 3, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

One and the Same posted:

Sony makes way, way, way more stuff than just game consoles. Keep in mind Sony gets those sweet, sweet licensing fees for all Blu-Ray discs. Also any number of non-playstation entertainment devices.

I know but from what I've heard their TV division is in the tank, laptops are dying. Bluray is not all that popular despite winning the format wars thanks to On Demand video streaming, their movie division is failing at the box office. But Playstation is doing pretty great

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

4.6 Billion in loses from PS3 launch up until 2011 at least from a quick google search.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/30/sony-ps-division-has-lost-4-7-billion-since-launching-ps3/

Do people not know that the Playstation and XBox divisions are not profitable for Sony or Microsoft? How are people even saying that the Wii didn't win the last generation when Nintendo went 30 years without posting a single profit loss until very recently.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

No, it's pointing out a really common fallacy, one that it looks like Nintendo blundered into too. Does this sound familiar?

"Oh yeah, I bought a Wii, I had so much fun with Wii Sports. That was great! And then nothing else came out for it and it's been gathering dust for years."

It was my experience. And plenty of other people have posted the same thing, verbatim. I'd wager it was the experience of a majority of the people who bought one, or certainly a sizable minority. They've been burned by Nintendo and don't feel like sticking their hands back into the fire. Every single person who came away from the Wii thinking of it as that quirky console with lots of potential that squandered it all and became a paperweight is less likely to buy a Wii U than someone who didn't buy a Wii at all.

And a lot of people bought a Wii.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

4.6 Billion in loses from PS3 launch up until 2011 at least from a quick google search.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/30/sony-ps-division-has-lost-4-7-billion-since-launching-ps3/

Do people not know that the Playstation and XBox divisions are not profitable for Sony or Microsoft? How are people even saying that the Wii didn't win the last generation when Nintendo went 30 years without posting a single profit loss until very recently.

There has been a pretty fast turnaround though ever since PSPlus. I also was under the impression Xbox live is like a free money machine.

These mega corporations it is hard to trust any numbers on though. Accounting just shifts losses to whatever their bosses tell them to.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I only got a Wii U for Monster Hunter and that's only because Capcom and Sony's relationship soured or something. Alternatively, they wanted to go with the 3DS rather than bet on the Vita.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

CapnAndy posted:

And a lot of people bought a Wii.

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the market the Wii sold to.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Casnorf posted:

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the market the Wii sold to.
Is "Oh, that's the thing that I play Wii Sports/Wii Fit on, does it still do that, good, okay then why would I buy that weird tablet accessory" somehow better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Don't be asinine, that article isn't a great measure of strength for software attachment either. The tricky thing about tie in ratios when it comes to software is that it's only a snapshot of that particular moment in time; in regards to the article, the Wii had a strong tie-in ratio in 2008 that was a solid lead over Sony but not MS, but examine the same data a year later and the Wii's tie in has falling to roughly 6 and been overtaken by the PS#. And that in and of itself isn't a fully complete statement from a contextual point, because the most likely interpretation from that data to walk away with is that the Wii's tie in ratio still represented a larger number of games because of their larger hardware sales. And even THAT is an incomplete set of statements, because you have to note from the list of successful Wii games and even the examples picked out in your defensive article are dominated by first party Nintendo titles, which does nothing to dispel the point that barring an outlier to two like Guitar Hero 3 (which still only accounted for a quarter give or take of all sales for that franchise installment on the Wii, hardly a dominating showing), the vast majority of third party titles crashed and burned on the Wii and were just flat out never bought and never contributed at all to the tie in ratio.

And gently caress knows what that tie -in number looks like in comparison to Xbox and PS now, I can't even find data like that from the past two years and it could be wildly different.

This is one the problems right here with Nintendo and its biggest proponents: willful or inept interpretation of data and sales trends that lead to incorrect conclusions.

• Locked thread