Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have ustv and it works great.

As for my own issue with cutting cable, my cable Internet company has put a monthly allowance for bandwidth. We were going to be capped at 250. We checked our data usage for the month of August (they only allowed this for the first time on the day we got the email) and it was 303 GB. We only use the Internet for light usage (Facebook and the forums), and then streaming (Netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime and busy) to replace TV.

We were able to switch to a higher level with 350 GB of bandwidth (and it is actually cheaper than what we were paying) so hopefully it will not be an issue. It just surprised me that we use that much data in a month. (According to the data meter, 40 minutes of a kids show on netflix is 566 mbps which is equal to 28 hours of online gaming) The majority of our streaming is done for children's shows on Netflix and it is mostly background sound while we play with our daughters.

Is there any way to help reduce our usage when it comes to streaming (beyond the obvious of cutting back or turning it off when you are playing)?/

I wouldn't bother comparing gaming to streaming video. It's not even close.

Gaming uses very little bandwidth, because the large files are usually already on your system (hard drive or optical disc). All you're receiving over the Internet are triggers/references to those files telling your computer to load them into memory because your opponent equipped a particular weapon or caused something to blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I've got a question. I cut the cord about two years ago, and since then, I haven't been able to watch as much soccer as I used to. I know NBC just secured the rights to air the entirety of the EPL this year, but I can only watch one game a week when they air it on the local NBC affiliate, everything else is aired on their cable channels.

Is there a way to watch those games via streaming with my Roku or Chromecast?

EDIT: Never mind then. Sort of found my answer in SAS.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 3, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a sort of similar question. I watch sports right now on my PS3 via MLB.tv and the NHL app but the machine is getting long in the tooth and has stopped outputting via the HDMI port for whatever reason. What is the current device du jour that can handle streaming sports apps? In addition it would be great if I could send it video through DLNA or if it could watch a video stream from a website. Is there a single device that can do all of that or should I look into going the HTPC route?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For those two sports things, I recommend the Apple TV. It will do video if it's in your PC's iTunes library. It won't stream from websites but it does everything else pretty well.

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!
If you have a newer Mac computer you can do screen mirroring of your entire desktop to an Apple TV. I watch web only Hulu and CBS stuff this way. In the next update you can extend your desktop to an Apple TV so it gets even easier to throw stuff up there. Granted that is an expensive workaround if you don't already have a Mac or weren't already getting one.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

adreaminsound posted:

If you have a newer Mac computer you can do screen mirroring of your entire desktop to an Apple TV. I watch web only Hulu and CBS stuff this way. In the next update you can extend your desktop to an Apple TV so it gets even easier to throw stuff up there. Granted that is an expensive workaround if you don't already have a Mac or weren't already getting one.

I don't know why I never thought of this. Thank you!

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!

savesthedayrocks posted:

I don't know why I never thought of this. Thank you!

It actually justified the expense of an Air to my wife. We use this all the time. It works 99% of the time. Sometimes sound won't work right but a reboot clears that up. I haven't gotten acceptable performance from amazon prime streaming yet but it technically works. That's the last frontier for Apple TV as far as I'm concerned. When that works I am 100% satisfied.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

adreaminsound posted:

It actually justified the expense of an Air to my wife. We use this all the time. It works 99% of the time. Sometimes sound won't work right but a reboot clears that up. I haven't gotten acceptable performance from amazon prime streaming yet but it technically works. That's the last frontier for Apple TV as far as I'm concerned. When that works I am 100% satisfied.

Amazon's webplayer is pretty horrid so it's not you.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I have my cousin's Time Warner login, my moms Directv login, and my sister's Xfinity login. What iOS apps can utilize these? I've already got WatchESPN, HBOGO, and NBCSports Live Extra.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mahoning posted:

So I have my cousin's Time Warner login, my moms Directv login, and my sister's Xfinity login. What iOS apps can utilize these? I've already got WatchESPN, HBOGO, and NBCSports Live Extra.

Wow you are a mooch. That's amazing. You could make use of the official apps for all those cable providers, have you tried those yet? You can also use the CNN app for live news I think, or any news outlet iOS app for that matter. Uhh, Adult Swim can use any of those logins if you're into Family Guy or Venture Bros and poo poo. There's TBS and TNT apps as well.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

XFINITY Player, XFINITY WiFi and XFINITY TV Remote are three useful ones for Comcast.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mahoning posted:

If you've got kids, most of the kids tv network apps "unlock" addition episodes of shows with cable provider logins.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I'm moving back to Canada after ~6 years of wandering Europe (okay, not really wandering, sometimes up to 2 years in one place but I always knew it wasn't permanent) so I thought I might be able to finally settle down and get a TV and a cable subscription etc. I watch hockey and two TV shows (Glee and Grey's Anatomy). I like to watch the occasional movie but not more than one every two weeks or so.

I thought about getting a TV and cable and then looked into other options i.e. cutting cable. I could get a Roku which is $110 in Canada. To play DVDs that I can get from the library I'd need to get a DVD player (~$30). Then I'd need a TV of course (minimum $250 for 1080p HDTV in Canada from what I can tell). I could get NHL Gamecenter to watch hockey ($100). But to view in-market games I'd need to set up an Unblock-US account (if talking about this stuff is not allowed please tell me, I post mainly in SAS and it is fine there) ($5/month). But apparently both of the major internet providers in the area I'll be moving to don't let you mess with the DNS on the modem (unless you ask them to set it to bridge mode ($??) and then use your own wireless router (~$30)) and even then I'm not 100% sure it would work.

total: $580

So, as an alternative, I could get a nice monitor ($160) to hook up to my laptop. Speakers for $50. I can play DVDs using my laptop's built-in DVD player. I can pay for Gamecenter and Unblock-US (which will work for sure by adjusting DNS settings on my computer) OR I can use the existing streams that I've been using for the past six years.

total: $210-$370

My impresion is that the whole "cutting cable" thing is more aimed at people moving away from TV rather than people accustomed to getting their entertainment needs from their PC. Is that correct, or am I missing something? What would I be missing out on (keeping in mind I want to watch hockey and movies and don't much care about anything else) by just sticking with my computer and getting a nice monitor?

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 6, 2013

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003

toe knee hand posted:

But to view in-market games I'd need to set up an Unblock-US account (if talking about this stuff is not allowed please tell me, I post mainly in SAS and it is fine there) ($5/month). But apparently both of the major internet providers in the area I'll be moving to don't let you mess with the DNS on the modem (unless you ask them to set it to bridge mode ($??) and then use your own wireless router (~$30)) and even then I'm not 100% sure it would work.

Just to let you know even if you can not change the dns settings on the modem you can still use unblock-us. You will just need to change the dns setting on every device you want it on. Obviously it would be easier if you had it set as the dns in your router so it is applied automatically to every device that connects.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

ssspy007 posted:

Just to let you know even if you can not change the dns settings on the modem you can still use unblock-us. You will just need to change the dns setting on every device you want it on. Obviously it would be easier if you had it set as the dns in your router so it is applied automatically to every device that connects.

You can't change DNS settings on Roku. That's part of why this gets tricky. Other alternatives like WD TV seem to have weird American vs Canadian firmware as sold so might not work either. Sony Blu-Ray is an option I haven't costed which might work better in my specific situation (you can change DNS on the device and it works with Gamecenter and it plays DVDs so that eliminates the purchase of a DVD player). But even then I don't see the "cut cable" option working better than the "what cable I have a computer" option. But to re-iterate, I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

e: Sony Blu-Ray with WiFi is $120. Eliminates DVD player purchase and wireless modem purchase. Cost: $530.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 6, 2013

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003

toe knee hand posted:

You can't change DNS settings on Roku. That's part of why this gets tricky. Other alternatives like WD TV seem to have weird American vs Canadian firmware as sold so might not work either. Sony Blu-Ray is an option I haven't costed which might work better in my specific situation (you can change DNS on the device and it works with Gamecenter and it plays DVDs so that eliminates the purchase of a DVD player). But even then I don't see the "cut cable" option working better than the "what cable I have a computer" option. But to re-iterate, I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

e: Sony Blu-Ray with WiFi is $120. Eliminates DVD player purchase and wireless modem purchase. Cost: $530.

Ah my mistake. I missed the Roku part. I use an Apple TV.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

toe knee hand posted:

I'm moving back to Canada after ~6 years of wandering Europe (okay, not really wandering, sometimes up to 2 years in one place but I always knew it wasn't permanent) so I thought I might be able to finally settle down and get a TV and a cable subscription etc. I watch hockey and two TV shows (Glee and Grey's Anatomy). I like to watch the occasional movie but not more than one every two weeks or so.

I thought about getting a TV and cable and then looked into other options i.e. cutting cable. I could get a Roku which is $110 in Canada. To play DVDs that I can get from the library I'd need to get a DVD player (~$30). Then I'd need a TV of course (minimum $250 for 1080p HDTV in Canada from what I can tell). I could get NHL Gamecenter to watch hockey ($100). But to view in-market games I'd need to set up an Unblock-US account (if talking about this stuff is not allowed please tell me, I post mainly in SAS and it is fine there) ($5/month). But apparently both of the major internet providers in the area I'll be moving to don't let you mess with the DNS on the modem (unless you ask them to set it to bridge mode ($??) and then use your own wireless router (~$30)) and even then I'm not 100% sure it would work.

total: $580

So, as an alternative, I could get a nice monitor ($160) to hook up to my laptop. Speakers for $50. I can play DVDs using my laptop's built-in DVD player. I can pay for Gamecenter and Unblock-US (which will work for sure by adjusting DNS settings on my computer) OR I can use the existing streams that I've been using for the past six years.

total: $210-$370

My impresion is that the whole "cutting cable" thing is more aimed at people moving away from TV rather than people accustomed to getting their entertainment needs from their PC. Is that correct, or am I missing something? What would I be missing out on (keeping in mind I want to watch hockey and movies and don't much care about anything else) by just sticking with my computer and getting a nice monitor?

If you can find a Chromecast and get an HDTV and have some sort of computer (laptop or desktop) you could use unblock.us on your computer and watch NHL game center on your computer and cast it to your Chromecast on your TV. The Chromecast cost $35.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Aereo came to Miami and it works like a charm. NFL season baby! Well worth the $7.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm in Miami too, but are there many channels that I won't pick up with my antenna? I'm not really seeing anything.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Burden posted:

If you can find a Chromecast and get an HDTV and have some sort of computer (laptop or desktop) you could use unblock.us on your computer and watch NHL game center on your computer and cast it to your Chromecast on your TV. The Chromecast cost $35.

This seems like it has potential. What can Chromecast do? Can I play videos from my computer (either physical DVDs or downloaded files) through it? Chromecast isn't a supported device for Gamecenter but if it would definitely work through my computer, that's promising.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

toe knee hand posted:

This seems like it has potential. What can Chromecast do? Can I play videos from my computer (either physical DVDs or downloaded files) through it? Chromecast isn't a supported device for Gamecenter but if it would definitely work through my computer, that's promising.

Chromecast essentially allows you to send stuff to it through your phone (Youtube, netflix, and google play video and music) or through your computers browser in chrome. I tried using Game Center through it and it worked pretty well. For Chrome on your computer you just have to install an extension and then it sends whatever is on that tab over to the Chromecast. You can drag a video file into your browser and cast that your Chromecast but DVD's won't work.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Burden posted:

Chromecast essentially allows you to send stuff to it through your phone (Youtube, netflix, and google play video and music) or through your computers browser in chrome. I tried using Game Center through it and it worked pretty well. For Chrome on your computer you just have to install an extension and then it sends whatever is on that tab over to the Chromecast. You can drag a video file into your browser and cast that your Chromecast but DVD's won't work.

So is it better in any way than getting a nice computer monitor and using that through my laptop as a dual monitor? It just seems to me that the whole "cutting cable" thing is only economical compared to other alternatives if you already have a TV. If you don't...

I guess it just seems to me that I may very well be an exception case and that what'll be best for me is different from what'll be best for other people (who have TVs). But I'm aware that a lot of people think they're exception cases when they really aren't, which is why I'm trying to get some outside feedback on this.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm in Miami too, but are there many channels that I won't pick up with my antenna? I'm not really seeing anything.

Strange. It wasn't working for me in IE (My Chrome goes to poo poo with flash-heavy sites for some reason) but works like a charm with Firefox. The support team is pretty quick at getting back at you, perhaps you should talk to them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm just looking at their channel listing. They seem to just be OTA channels.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's pretty much what the service is...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's the service. You are renting an ota antenna at their warehouse.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

toe knee hand posted:

So is it better in any way than getting a nice computer monitor and using that through my laptop as a dual monitor? It just seems to me that the whole "cutting cable" thing is only economical compared to other alternatives if you already have a TV. If you don't...

I guess it just seems to me that I may very well be an exception case and that what'll be best for me is different from what'll be best for other people (who have TVs). But I'm aware that a lot of people think they're exception cases when they really aren't, which is why I'm trying to get some outside feedback on this.

People who have TVs are the vast, vast majority. Do you understand what we mean by "cable" here?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

toe knee hand posted:

You're basically using the tv as a giant computer monitor anyway so it's really down to what kind of size you want. If the standard 24" computer monitor is big enough for you then sure why not? Only real downside is that you would be listening to laptop speakers rather than tv ones, assuming you don't have a stereo or something.

Although, you're not cutting cable if you never had it in the first place, so of course you're not seeing the savings up front.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

toe knee hand posted:

But apparently both of the major internet providers in the area I'll be moving to don't let you mess with the DNS on the modem (unless you ask them to set it to bridge mode ($??) and then use your own wireless router (~$30)) and even then I'm not 100% sure it would work.

A little late but yeah that's kind of a risk. I have to deal with BYOB ("bring your own broadband") customers a lot in my job to get VoIP services working... most ISP provided modems are poo poo and interfere with SIP signalling, which fucks up VoIP. The vast majority of modems have the ability to be switched to gateway/bridge mode (which is essentially disabling any routing/layer 3 capabilities in the modem and turning it into a dumb coax-to-Ethernet converter, then you slap your third party router behind it so you can actually control your own network), but more often than not access to the modem is locked down by the ISP and getting a hold of a tech on their end who actually understands what you're trying to accomplish can be like pulling teeth.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Roku. My Comcast TV signal went out last night and most of my channels aren't working. Comcast support said the soonest they can get a tech to look at my wiring is 10 days from now. I'll be dumping them after the Monday night football game, which I'll have to stream on my computer now. For my 2 TVs I bought a Roku 3 and 2 antennae. I'll hook up my existing PS3 to one TV and the Roku to the main. The antenna works better than I expected so I was happy about that. My main concern was missing NFL games and It's Always Sunny.

Sunday NFL games I can get with the local stations via the antenna but the Thursday games are on the NFL Network and Monday is ESPN. I think I could use the NFL Verizon app to watch those games on my tablet for another $5/mo but I might be better off borrowing a friends Comcast login for the season. I figure that doing that I could watch football and It's Always Sunny plus whatever else comes up and offer them the $5/mo for the favor.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Can anybody recommend an outdoor OTA antenna for two transmitters approx 50-70 miles away? Both are in the same general direction, with maybe a 40 degree separation. I can pick them up okay with an indoor one with some finagling. Any brand names to look out for?

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
WTF Aereo...For a while now their site has had a banner that said "Coming to Chicago on September 13th!". Well, that has come and gone and as far as I can tell nothing has happened. Not only that, I "pre-registered" for early access and have gotten zero emails from them. No news, no invites, no spam, nothing. :argh:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sleepstupid posted:

WTF Aereo...For a while now their site has had a banner that said "Coming to Chicago on September 13th!". Well, that has come and gone and as far as I can tell nothing has happened. Not only that, I "pre-registered" for early access and have gotten zero emails from them. No news, no invites, no spam, nothing. :argh:

Add them on Facebook they said they're still testing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if this means they are doing really, really well and are seeing higher than predicted interest, or if it's just a start-up being a start-up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably just a start-up doing the standard terrible job of forecasting their own releases.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

May also be uncertainty around recent court decisions. Aereo has done ok, but one of their competitors with a pretty similar business model just got slammed hard.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm not so sure about the whole court thing as they just announced they've launched in Houston.

It's just a start-up being a start-up.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Sleepstupid posted:

I'm in Chicago, and they emailed me about a week ago about creating my account. But I pre-registered and liked them on FB so that might be why.

I'm not terribly sure how/if I will use their service, as I've already got an antenna mounted in the attic and MythTV running on a server in the basement, but I'm weighing my options.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fillerbunny posted:

I'm in Chicago, and they emailed me about a week ago about creating my account. But I pre-registered and liked them on FB so that might be why.

I'm in Chicago as well, and got in the closed beta. I didn't like them on Facebook though, I just pre-registered and that was it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Pre-registered, liked on Facebook, no invite. :eng99: