Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ZShakespeare posted:

I think that it's likely that Verizon will just "play ball" with the big 3 leaving us with a big 4 given the situation in the states. I don't know about losing Canadian jobs though, wouldn't they have to hire people to build out and maintain their Canadian network?

I'm mostly just objecting to the impossible simultaneous scenario of "no change in prices" plus "thousands of jobs are lost". If Verizon were to be so hideously disruptive as to cause thousands of job losses in Canada, one presumes they must have done something to upset the telecom cartel applecart.

That's leaving aside the absurdity of what appears to be a claim that "the purpose of telecom policy is to provide us with jobs" not "the purpose of telecom policy is to ensure Canadians can communicate effectively at lowest possible cost".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So now that the Nexus 4 has dropped to $200/$250 (8/16gb) from Google, kijiji is of course flooded with people trying to sell BNIB FACTORY SEALED!!!! Nexus 4's for $300+ and Galaxy Nexus for $200-250. Yeah right.

Still, it's a pretty sweet deal and now there's pretty much no reason to sign up for a contract to get a free phone unless you are stuck using a carrier that gives no bring-your-own handset discount.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

eXXon posted:

So now that the Nexus 4 has dropped to $200/$250 (8/16gb) from Google, kijiji is of course flooded with people trying to sell BNIB FACTORY SEALED!!!! Nexus 4's for $300+ and Galaxy Nexus for $200-250. Yeah right.

Still, it's a pretty sweet deal and now there's pretty much no reason to sign up for a contract to get a free phone unless you are stuck using a carrier that gives no bring-your-own handset discount.

Interesting move by Google. Doesn't this essentially screw Samsung entirely? Why would one buy a GS4 or whatever now? Arguably I'm sure they might be better than a Nexus 4 in a few aspects, but 3x the price better?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lexicon posted:

Interesting move by Google. Doesn't this essentially screw Samsung entirely? Why would one buy a GS4 or whatever now? Arguably I'm sure they might be better than a Nexus 4 in a few aspects, but 3x the price better?

It seems likely that they're clearing out stock for a new Nexus phone, so this might not last long.

I bet some people will still be tempted by FREE PHONES*, or concerned about getting a phone shipped from the US. Actually, my main problem was that Google shipped the phone with UPS and they left the loving box in plain sight in front of my apartment door without even notifying me that it had been delivered.

* with limited 2-year contract. But even then, an SGS4 is what, $150-200 on most carriers? It sure does seem like a terrible idea to buy one now.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Outside of forums like this, the vast majority of people I talk to have no idea what a Nexus is. They either want a "Galaxy" or an iPhone, generally anything else doesn't even enter into consideration.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Godinster posted:

Outside of forums like this, the vast majority of people I talk to have no idea what a Nexus is. They either want a "Galaxy" or an iPhone, generally anything else doesn't even enter into consideration.

Maybe so at $500, but $200 off contract is pretty drat compelling I would've thought. I have to imagine at that price point, word gets out.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Speaking of why go with anything else, I've got a nexus 4. Currently on Wind, but going to soon end up in a situation where I'll be roaming basically 100% of the time away from Wind zones. I mostly care about data and use very few minutes. A bit of texting but under 200/mo. Going to freeze my Holiday Miracle plan and jump on another carrier. Need to make the switch by the end of September. Anything from the back to school plans worth getting or wait it out a bit?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Probably not. Isn't Nexus penetration really low? Most people don't know they exist beyond another phone on display at Rogers/Bell/etc. Then you have people who have no idea about carrier locking and all that, who will just see it as a $200 phone when the Galaxy is also $200.

I would wager most users care more about the fancy phone than the overall price of their contract too.

(Also the Nexus 4 kind of sucks.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 1, 2013

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Lexicon posted:

Maybe so at $500, but $200 off contract is pretty drat compelling I would've thought. I have to imagine at that price point, word gets out.

Most people I know aren't even aware you can get cel service off contract. $200 for a Nexus 4 or $200 for a Galaxy 4.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm moving to Canada from the UK next month, and I'm just doing a little bit of planning. My wife has gone ahead, and has picked up a Telus contract which I'll apparently be able to join onto for some ungodly amount of money. I have an iPhone 5 which I purchased here in the UK from the Apple Store off contract, which isn't carrier locked, and was hoping that I'd be able to use this with Telus when I arrive so that I wouldn't need to get roped into paying for another handset and/or being forced into a three year deal. However, I've just read online that Telus are CDMA as opposed to GSM, which would pretty much poo poo all over that idea. Can anyone confirm that this is, infact, the case?

edit: also I don't feel that a foreigner-posting-in-the-Canadian-telecoms-thread post would be complete without the obligatory 'gently caress me i can't believe quite how terrible the Canadian telecoms industry is' footnote.

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 1, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

moron posted:

I'm moving to Canada from the UK next month, and I'm just doing a little bit of planning. My wife has gone ahead, and has picked up a Telus contract which I'll apparently be able to join onto for some ungodly amount of money. I have an iPhone 5 which I purchased here in the UK from the Apple Store off contract, which isn't carrier locked, and was hoping that I'd be able to use this with Telus when I arrive so that I wouldn't need to get roped into paying for another handset and/or being forced into a three year deal. However, I've just read online that Telus are CDMA as opposed to GSM, which would pretty much poo poo all over that idea. Can anyone confirm that this is, infact, the case?

edit: also I don't feel that a foreigner-posting-in-the-Canadian-telecoms-thread post would be complete without the obligatory 'gently caress me i can't believe quite how terrible the Canadian telecoms industry is' footnote.

Rogers/Telus/Bell have LTE/HSPA+ but the original (and backup) network used by Telus/Bell used to be CDMA.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 1, 2013

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Yeah, you'll be able to use your iPhone with Telus or whoever just fine.

And I also echo the sentiment that outside of this forum no one knows or cares what a Nexus is. The few that ask mostly stare blankly at me when I explain the benefits of a pure Android phone and then go right back to the Samsung/iPhone.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

OilSlick posted:

And I also echo the sentiment that outside of this forum no one knows or cares what a Nexus is. The few that ask mostly stare blankly at me when I explain the benefits of a pure Android phone and then go right back to the Samsung/iPhone.

I guess that's the power of marketing right there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lexicon posted:

I guess that's the power of marketing right there.

In part. If you're going to be paying a similar amount of money for your plan, though, I'd probably get a carrier One or GS4 or something over a Nexus 4, too, since the initial out of pocket is the same.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mediaphage posted:

In part. If you're going to be paying a similar amount of money for your plan, though, I'd probably get a carrier One or GS4 or something over a Nexus 4, too, since the initial out of pocket is the same.

I guess the whole thing is premised on the concept that better deals are available if you unbundle the phone purchase and plan purchase. At least until recently, voice+data from Koodo plus an unlocked phone had a really low total-cost-of-ownership as well as pretty drat good value.

None of which matters because of course people are idiots with money.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mediaphage posted:

Rogers is giving 10% off for bringing your own phone on most of their plans, and $20 off their (ridiculously overpriced) "Share Ready" plans. Considering you're likely to be paying at least $45/month with a smartphone on Rogers, that's a minimum of a $110 premium over a 2-year contract.

the talent deficit posted:

Most people I know aren't even aware you can get cel service off contract. $200 for a Nexus 4 or $200 for a Galaxy 4.

Most people I know are on Wind or Mobilicity with Nexus devices, but then most people I know are poor grad students living near downtown Toronto where cell coverage is good across basically every network.

Godinster posted:

Well, it's a huge thread on redflagdeals, but then most people don't read RFD or else these kinds of deals would never last. Speaking of which, the 8GB N4 keeps going out of stock. Hopefully it comes back or the many scammers on kijiji get bored and start selling off their stock for reasonable prices.

Aphrodite posted:

Probably not. Isn't Nexus penetration really low? Most people don't know they exist beyond another phone on display at Rogers/Bell/etc. Then you have people who have no idea about carrier locking and all that, who will just see it as a $200 phone when the Galaxy is also $200.

I would wager most users care more about the fancy phone than the overall price of their contract too.

(Also the Nexus 4 kind of sucks.)

Is Nexus penetration low? Many carriers sell it, although some at hilarious markups compared to the play store.

(Also it has fantastic hardware for $300, let alone $200, so who cares if it doesn't have a 40MP camera or an SD card slot?)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OilSlick posted:

A lot of people like touchwiz, which seems to be unthinkable to Nexus fans. I didn't want an Android phone until I saw Samsung's version but can't tell what's so special about Nexus either (plus no LTE is huge).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

(Also it has fantastic hardware for $300, let alone $200, so who cares if it doesn't have a 40MP camera or an SD card slot?)

Battery sucks, fragile as hell, doesn't have LTE and the pixel count isn't why the camera is bad.

The price is nice, but ultimately what do you save bringing your own device today? $4, 5 a month? Just $100 over 2 years? It comes down to how often you feel the need to change your phone, I guess.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 2, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Battery sucks, fragile as hell, doesn't have LTE and the pixel count isn't why the camera is bad.

The price is nice, but ultimately what do you save bringing your own device today? $4, 5 a month? Just $100 over 2 years? It comes down to how often you feel the need to change your phone, I guess.

At least until the recent price shakeup SNAFU, significantly better value and lower cost could be achieved by bringing your own (decent) phone to Koodo. If you want an iPhone or S4, the default plans from the big-3 are shockingly bad.

Unlocked good device + Koodo/Fido used to be a pretty killer combination.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Now Verizon's CEO is claiming they're not interested in the Canadian market.

It's hard to know what to believe at this stage, but the most hilarious result in this spectrum auction would be Robellus cleaning everything up as Wind/Mobilicity struggle with their debt/finding a new buyer.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

IceHawk posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't get Koodo's Tab Medium with the new iPhone when it comes out? $400 up front and the $50/month data plan sounds pretty good to me.

I don't need a ton of data either, and I'm okay with paying $5 for 250mb extra should I need it.

I'm with Rogers currently but my contract ends mid September and their network on the Sunshine Coast is complete poo poo.

I'm wondering the same thing. Any ideas?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hiyoshi posted:

I'm wondering the same thing. Any ideas?

It's fine if you can pay 400 up front. The new plans really prey on the people who want ~$0 iPhones~ or anything else with massive subsidies.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
In other cellular news, Microsoft is buying Nokia for 7.2 billion.

They'll run it into the ground like every other consumer venture I imagine. As a Windows Phone user, this makes me sad.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

In other cellular news, Microsoft is buying Nokia for 7.2 billion.

They'll run it into the ground like every other consumer venture I imagine. As a Windows Phone user, this makes me sad.

I thought this would be good news for Windows Phone users....

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
TORONTO -- Shares in Canada's big three telecom companies are surging on news that U.S. giant Verizon said it's no longer interested in entering Canada's wireless market.
Stock in Rogers soared the most in early trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange, up 10.3 per cent, or $4.28, to $45.87.
Telus bounced up 6.4 per cent, or $2.17, to $34.86, while BCE, which owns CTV, was up 5.6 per cent, or $2.41, at $45.60.

Pathetic.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Then Verizon decide they're going to join anyway.

Please?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just got a Z10 assigned to me at work, and I can't even find a Blackberry thread here on SA to learn stuff about it. Anyone have one and got some tips or killer apps?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just got a Z10 assigned to me at work, and I can't even find a Blackberry thread here on SA to learn stuff about it. Anyone have one and got some tips or killer apps?

When you do the up/down swipes, you need to start on the bezel wrapper around the screen and not the screen itself.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

CLAM DOWN posted:

Here's the BlackBerry thread oh god please post in it IT WANTS TO LIVE

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

CLAM DOWN posted:

Stop looking for a native back button and god forbid you browse something else in the Hub, because you've just lost your "sliding curve to the right" option to quickly get to email. Turn off WiFi or the battery will be dead before the end of your shift and try to forget what once was... Blackberry Bold & Torch I miss you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

This is a great piece on the Verizon snafu: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/Column+Verizon+hardly+knew/8864371/story.html

quote:

Patriotism, Dr. Johnson wrote, is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Dr. Johnson clearly never met a Canadian interest group. Patriotism is always their first refuge.

Did you see the blaring full-page ads in the weekend papers? How would we feel, wouldnt we feel outraged, if the government let a giant foreign corporation buy up half of Canadas water? The context, of course, was the upcoming sale of electromagnetic spectrum that has been in the news so much. Next year, the spectrum space that analog TV once used will be auctioned off for use in mobile telephony. Canadas telecom giants Bell, Rogers and Telus have been panic-scared that the American giant Verizon would get in on their action, though Verizon now says its staying out of Canada, possibly because of the political controversy the ad campaign has stirred up. Verizon, you see, was the foreign giant that was going to swallow up the electromagnetic version of our water.

As they say, a Canadian is a person who'd rather be screwed by a compatriot than offered a good deal by a foreigner.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the nature of your company/industry? I don't even know who BlackBerry 10 is for at this point. The semi-normal organizations have all jumped ship to iOS and to a lesser extent Android ages ago. And the conservative banks, defence contractors etc (RIM's old customer base) would truly need their head examined to standardize on a new platform by a foundering company.

So who the hell is issuing these things?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is there anything stopping them from going, "lol jk" right at the time of the auction and buying up everything they can? That would neatly sidestep the anti-American sentiment the telcos are trying to stir up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the nature of your company/industry? I don't even know who BlackBerry 10 is for at this point. The semi-normal organizations have all jumped ship to iOS and to a lesser extent Android ages ago. And the conservative banks, defence contractors etc (RIM's old customer base) would truly need their head examined to standardize on a new platform by a foundering company.

So who the hell is issuing these things?

I don't want to post who I work for as it's a pretty major/well known Canadian company. We've used Blackberries forever, and due to encryption/security requirements we stayed with them and recently set up BES 10. I totally agree with you though :(

This Z10 is a decent piece of hardware so far, but as far as the OS and usability goes it doesn't even come close to my Galaxy Nexus. A good try RIM, but no cigar.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't want to post who I work for as it's a pretty major/well known Canadian company. We've used Blackberries forever, and due to encryption/security requirements we stayed with them and recently set up BES 10. I totally agree with you though :(

This Z10 is a decent piece of hardware so far, but as far as the OS and usability goes it doesn't even come close to my Galaxy Nexus. A good try RIM, but no cigar.

Can I have the industry at least? :)

Obviously don't bother if it's not sufficiently ambiguous.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Italy's Chicken posted:

Stop looking for a native back button and god forbid you browse something else in the Hub, because you've just lost your "sliding curve to the right" option to quickly get to email. Turn off WiFi or the battery will be dead before the end of your shift and try to forget what once was... Blackberry Bold & Torch I miss you.

On the Playbook OS, a swipe from the bottom right corner bezel to the center was "back". Maybe that's still a thing?

Lexicon posted:

I know I was recently contracting with a provincial government that was upgrading to BES 10, and offering bb10 devices.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I can't, sorry, it's a very specialized company :(

Yeah I've noticed the battery life sucks, I'll try the no-wifi trick tomorrow. Probably disable LTE too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My very large Canadian company recently switched from Blackberrys to Galaxy Rugbys. I never figured out how to use the Blackberry really (was a Nokia fanboy before iPhone) but the Rugby is pretty much identical to my personal S3.

Too bad about Nokia. That 41 megapixel camera on the 1020 had me drooling but the instability of the brand scares me a bit.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
BB10 is available and being given out to BC provincial employees. :barf:

iPhone is allowed too, so it's not bad I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

BB10 is available and being given out to BC provincial employees. :barf:

iPhone is allowed too, so it's not bad I guess.

Governments... I did forget about them. Not usually known for their wisdom in technology procurement.