Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I knew I should have checked for an app more recently. Let's try this out.

Meet Doctor Teeth (Doc for short).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Thwomp posted:

Use the Awful app?

(press and hold on the posting screen to bring up the menu, go to [img], select your photo. It'll automatically upload it to imgur.)

Not dog related, but that is loving fantastic. I've been using the app and had no idea you could do that.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I already posted over FB but, daaaaaaaaaaaawg

No name yet but every body likes Monster Truck except me >: (
They est. her about 1 year 1 month to 1.5 years old, 26.6 lb. What do you guys think? The things got adult teeth but also tartar already on a lot of them. Not sure if thats a great indicator. She is also in heat and on baytril for some sneezing.

Odd things so far: not really sniffing a place before she peed/pooped. We had a 1.5 hr walk today and she would squat as we are walking as go. But we'll see when she is more settled down and allowed to sniff around.

Soft poop. Not diarrhea but enough to leave a big mark when you pick it up. Theyve been feeding her natural balance fish dry food since they had her for about a month. How do I make firm dog turds?! Really yellow fur on her underside/belly/paws. Hopefully washing/bathing will get rid of that. Also extremely sheddy. Slightly helped after the bath, but theres still a poof of fur flying off when she shakes. I have some brewers yeast supplement.

Unsure about housebroken status, but no accidents yet. Knows sit already! Whats the most basic things you like teaching your dog off that bat? I do sit, down, touch, start on loose lease walking, come. Anything else thats essential?

Growls a buttload at new people. Not on the street, but shes laying in my room and when someone comes in, goes off barking and growling. Not a big deal after a few seconds, but I think Id actually like to keep that behavior to "guard" the house.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 30, 2013

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Ikantski posted:

Congratulations on acquiring a male black lab, the best dog! Abandoned at 6 weeks is harsh but I wouldn't think that's really old enough to develop any issues, sounds like he's just a typical food-motivated lab. A lot of friends have hunting labs that they got at 7 weeks and they turned out pretty nice.

Your food bag should have a recommended amount of food for his age and weight, feed him that much per day. Free feeding a young puppy seems a little crazy to me because they usually poop pretty soon afterwards so it makes house training tough. I also wouldn't free feed because you have such a great opportunity right now to use his meals to create positive associations. Definitely check out the excellent training thread because they learn so fast at that age, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451. I highly suggest starting Leave It and It's Yer Choice as a puppy.

The most important thing you should be doing right now is socializing him with strangers and then other dogs as soon as he's done his shots. My lab wouldn't want to leave the house if there was a bowl of food in there either. Try giving him some kibble on your walks and he'll start loving them.

Labs are really easy because they're so food motivated. Do something you want the dog to like (car rides, babies, kids, all manner of strangers, walks, loud noises, retrieving, etc) and then put food in his face. I took mine to a coffee shop patio a few times a week when he was a puppy. When strangers would come up to see the cute puppy, I'd ask them to ask him to sit and then give him a bit of food. People liked it and he's always liked strangers.

And post some pics.

Our black lab mix (about 8 months now) picked up on bells on the door like white on rice. She actually rings them anytime she's bored and wants to go outside, too, so be careful that you teach that bells=potty time more than anything. Generally, though, we don't have accidents with her unless its "we just took you out three times in 20 minutes, you peed and pooped each time, christ let us eat!" kind of moments, where she just needs an extra pee/poop and is genuinely requesting a potty break. As usual, most potty errors are our fault.

Our GSD/husky mix however is motivated only by kisses. She wont do much for food. Or for toys. Or for outside time. Hell if I didn't know any better I'd think she was drunk! She'll play with toys but only for a bit, and food is just food to her. We mostly motivate her with hearty belly rubs and hugs (I don't know about the rest of you but before her I've never seen a dog give a 100% genuine human hug before - holy christ is it adorable! Arms around the shoulders and everything!) and even then it begins and ends with "oh, belly rubs! Let me wag my tail! All done? OK I'll go lay down now!", which I think is crazy for a 5 month old (ish) puppy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

I knew I should have checked for an app more recently. Let's try this out.

Meet Doctor Teeth (Doc for short).

This looks exactly like my pup. If I didn't see her this morning wagging her tail as I left I would think you just kidnapped her. Enjoy the lab! Hopefully she's not as vocal as mine is. That's our current hurdle.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Coming for some possible advice,
Last night my 9 week old corgi pup had a pretty bad seizure out of nowhere and we had to take him to an emergency vet, he's still there and i'm waiting to hear back on some bloodwork. I'm just concerned that it might be a major issue, but is it common for something like this to present itself so young? He hasn't been acting any differently, aside from a little more puppy whines the last few days. He was laying down and I saw him stretch out on his back and didn't relax, and a moment later he was on his side convulsing, frothing at the mouth and he peed, after the full lock eased up he ended up in a massive gallop on his side and then just laid there breathing fast and heavy. Haven't even had him for 2 weeks and i'm scared for him.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I only know, anecdotally, of another young puppy that had seizures. Unfortunately, the pup was euthanized at just a few months old due to them intensifying steeply after an injury. Not a happy ending. However, it's good that you're working closely with your vet. Have you spoken to your breeder?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

This is the most adorable dog on the planet. It looks like a stuffed toy.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

a life less posted:

I only know, anecdotally, of another young puppy that had seizures. Unfortunately, the pup was euthanized at just a few months old due to them intensifying steeply after an injury. Not a happy ending. However, it's good that you're working closely with your vet. Have you spoken to your breeder?

Yes I have, the sale included a 2 year health guarantee against genetic issues. She said she is going to check with her vet to try and learn anything. She also said she wasn't sure if it was anything to do with her, his parents or the environment he was raised in, but wants to be fair and reasonable.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Zortzico posted:

Last night my 9 week old corgi pup had a pretty bad seizure out of nowhere and we had to take him to an emergency vet, he's still there and i'm waiting to hear back on some bloodwork. I'm just concerned that it might be a major issue, but is it common for something like this to present itself so young? He hasn't been acting any differently, aside from a little more puppy whines the last few days. He was laying down and I saw him stretch out on his back and didn't relax, and a moment later he was on his side convulsing, frothing at the mouth and he peed, after the full lock eased up he ended up in a massive gallop on his side and then just laid there breathing fast and heavy. Haven't even had him for 2 weeks and i'm scared for him.

A puppy having seizures is not a good thing. I too would be willing to bet that it is a major thing as well. There are several issues that could come up in a puppy that can lead to seizures (liver disease, brain anatomy differences/disease), and most of them are big. That's not to say they can't be treated. Good luck :(

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

We picked up Thor yesterday:

4 month old schnauzer mix (We think probably terrier.) And yes it appears that one ear always sticks up.

He's been an absolute dream so far. No messes during the night, just took him out at 2AM and 6 AM. Great on a leash, likes his crate (Although prefers being out with us.)

The owner before us gave him to the humane society after he realized he didn't have the time to devote to a puppy. Because of this he's a little behind on his socialization. (Definitely no picking him up yet.) He loved my wife instantly, and he's slowly warming up to me.

Our big challenge now is getting him to be okay when we're out of the room. He wants my wife in sight at all times.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 30, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thor's got legs like pipe cleaners.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

If you hadn't said that I wouldn't have noticed, but wow. He does have pipe cleaner legs.

I love the one-up ear thing. My sister has a Jack Russell Terrorist that does that. I don't care if it's not right, it's cute.

Okay, so, Doc may not be as housetrained as we thought. It appears that he knows he gets a treat when he goes outside, but hasn't yet translated that to not going inside. So we have to watch him like a hawk for signs that he's walking funny. REALLY need to get that door bell.

What are the thoughts on underground fences? We have 2/3 acre and most of it is forest. I want Doc to have access to most of it but I don't want him loose. I also can't put up any fences taller than 4 feet without breaking covenants, so a kennel is out. I'm thinking a cable run starting by the door for now and possibly one of the underground fences for when he gets bigger. Most of the neighbors just let their dogs roam but I don't want to do that (and I really don't like it when their dogs poo poo in my shed).

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Malalol posted:

No name yet but every body likes Monster Truck except me >: (

Even dog agrees that Monster Truck is the best name.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Monster has had no accidents so far, soo.. so far so good? I had to leave her for about 8 hours today, walked her at 7am, and then 3pm. She held it in and went immediately outside, but I've walked her at around 7pm and just now 11~pm. Once she steps outside our gate, she promptly pees and poops. But she was crated while I was gone and ripped up her bedding. I have no spare towels to use :( I know she gets anxious when I leave her and I've not gotten to working on crate games

Its only day 2, but she doesn't seem playful yet.. when I got home at 3 and walked her, I figured she'd be full of energy but she ends up just plopping down by my feet and sleeps. I've not had any real luck engaging with play, but she is really into food dispensers, Ive got a busy buddy and a wobbler which she knows how to work out. But nothing with balls, rope, squeezy plush toys, random toys..yet. Figure she is just settling in. She is still growling at people that are not me whenever they enter the vicinity so its about time to get them to toss treats.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 31, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Tell me about Great Danes because they seem like the ideal dog for me: something mellow, good with kids, big and lovable, and friendly.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

Oxford Comma posted:

Tell me about Great Danes because they seem like the ideal dog for me: something mellow, good with kids, big and lovable, and friendly.

The biggest problem with Great Danes tend to be their health issues. Their size lends itself to a shorter lifespan (10ish years), they're prone to joint and heart problems along with bloat. They aren't as much of a money sink via vet bills as, say, an english bulldog is, but it's something to keep in mind (thus you probably need to be super picky about going to a really, really good breeder that health tests). Food bills are gonna be expensive. While they are good with kids, the kids have to be big enough that they can't easily be accidentally bowled over or stepped on by a Dane, toddlers and younger kids are probably not a good idea. A couple Dane owners could probably add more, but that's what I've got off the top of my head.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
There are a lot of Dane owners in the Big Dog Thread. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Just because danes are stereotypically good with kids doesn't mean they all are. And Amythest is far from mellow yet she's still a purebred dane. They are, however, big, lovable doofs that are generally friendly.

moechae posted:

The biggest problem with Great Danes tend to be their health issues. Their size lends itself to a shorter lifespan (10ish years), they're prone to joint and heart problems along with bloat. They aren't as much of a money sink via vet bills as, say, an english bulldog is, but it's something to keep in mind (thus you probably need to be super picky about going to a really, really good breeder that health tests). Food bills are gonna be expensive. While they are good with kids, the kids have to be big enough that they can't easily be accidentally bowled over or stepped on by a Dane, toddlers and younger kids are probably not a good idea. A couple Dane owners could probably add more, but that's what I've got off the top of my head.

This is all pretty much dead on though lifespans range 6-10 years and 10 is certainly the higher side at this point among a heavy population of danes. It isn't just vet and food bills that are bigger, it's everything. If your big guy has to be boarded, it's always more. If you need a crate, get ready to deal with a 4 foot long thing that you could probably smuggle a miniature horse in. And that's assuming your dane is just average. If your breeder breeds danes up, they may require a custom crate. If you have to move via flying at all, it is the worst nightmare. Leashes and collars have to be stronger. Doors are nothing for a dane to destroy if they really want through something.

To add to the health issues, danes are getting bone cancer more frequently these days too.

They're smart enough to play stupid, too, and puppies will eat everything they can get their mouth on. Which is you know, a typical puppy. But when the puppy can easily put it's chin on the top of your fridge by the time it's 15 months old, nowhere is safe.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Thanks for the advice on danes. I understand that their size presents some issues, and will carefully consider that. Having said that, what is the best way to minimize their health issues?

Also, also...the reason I'm considering a dog is that the two we have now, my wife's dogs, are probably going to have to be put down in the next six months or so due to hip dysplasia. Since we both work, the dog would have to be alone with access to the backyard via a huge doggie door. Tell me how terrible of an idea this is, and how to avoid having my dog go batshit stir crazy? Perhaps a second dog?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Thanks for the advice on danes. I understand that their size presents some issues, and will carefully consider that. Having said that, what is the best way to minimize their health issues?

Also, also...the reason I'm considering a dog is that the two we have now, my wife's dogs, are probably going to have to be put down in the next six months or so due to hip dysplasia. Since we both work, the dog would have to be alone with access to the backyard via a huge doggie door. Tell me how terrible of an idea this is, and how to avoid having my dog go batshit stir crazy? Perhaps a second dog?

Unless your fence is seriously 12 feet high I wouldn't let a dane out there alone. Balen jumped a 9 foot fence before he had arthritis. He's also incredibly adept at digging to asia in about five minutes flat. How have you guys treated hip dysplasia with the other dogs? Because bluntly, danes are riddled with it as a breed. We pay about $85 for Balen's prescription a month, and that's just arthritis, not dysplasia.

Most adult danes will be fine to hang out inside for 6-8 hours, but the key word there is adult so I'd suggest a rescue dane. As far as minimizing health issues, glucosamine is always good. A high quality food, easy but extensive exercise. Cancer is just one of those things. Bloat can (arguably) be helped out with raised bowls, slower eating and not letting them run around for an hour before eating or an hour after. Gastropexy can help as well, and many vets will do it during a spay/neuter if requested. It's not a guarantee, but it's an extra bit of assurance some folks get done.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
What opinions do you guys have on breed DNA Tests, like those found on Amazon? Are they generally reliable? I'm curious about our "shar pei mix" puppy that we rescued.

Edit:

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 1, 2013

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

What opinions do you guys have on breed DNA Tests, like those found on Amazon? Are they generally reliable? I'm curious about our "shar pei mix" puppy that we rescued.

They get discussed a lot in the mixed breed guessing thread. I'm satisfied with my results from the Wisdom Panel one but it works better with dogs who have fewer breeds involved more recently than mixes of mixes of mixes, which of course you generally don't know and that's why you're doing the test in the first place. If you get a weird answer you can write to the company and they will explain the results to you.

You can generally find them cheaper on ebay if you are patient. Paying $40 makes the risk of getting dumb results a lot easier to handle.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Along those lines, you also have to take any result with a grain of salt. Mine said Linus had GSD in him but there's no evidence when you look at him. It just means he's got some Shepard in all those mixes in his background.

Linus' wisdom panel (typical results).

Linus (being chill)

Edit: sup shar pei mix buddy

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 1, 2013

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Doc's new trick this morning is leg humping. Is there anything we can really do about that, and what's the best way to train it out of him?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Advent Horizon posted:

Doc's new trick this morning is leg humping. Is there anything we can really do about that, and what's the best way to train it out of him?

Interrupt, interrupt, interrupt. You can try redirecting to a chew item to give him an alternative self-soothing behavior, but it's likely not going to be as popular as the previous behavior. If the behavior is causing actual physical discomfort to the person being humped (some dogs like to dig in with their claws or are just way too heavy and solid), you can institute a timeout policy (15 seconds in a boring place, like the bathroom or a closet), but I'd only recommend that as a last resort.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ButWhatIf posted:

Interrupt, interrupt, interrupt.

Seriously. Comrade stopped humping things in less than a day just being pulled off them and he hasn't even thought about it since.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Zortzico posted:

Any update on the vet's findings for your pup?

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Any update on the vet's findings for your pup?

He spent the night and they ran some blood tests, nothing really significant though. He was incredibly happy to come home, and seems to be back to normal. I have been hearing that some puppies can have reactions to the distemper vaccine within a short while of getting the shots. He was done on the 15th, we picked him up on the 17th and he had the seizure on the 29th. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

And a newer pic to go with it, now that his ears have both decided to stand on their own

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh good lord is that ever a cute puppy.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Zortzico posted:

He spent the night and they ran some blood tests, nothing really significant though. He was incredibly happy to come home, and seems to be back to normal. I have been hearing that some puppies can have reactions to the distemper vaccine within a short while of getting the shots. He was done on the 15th, we picked him up on the 17th and he had the seizure on the 29th. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

The problem with temporally associating things with vaccines in a puppy is that puppies are getting vaccines every 3 weeks or so, so everything that happens to them is going to seem like it can be linked with the vaccine. I wouldn't really consider 2 weeks after a vaccine to be at all significant.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Hey everybody.

We just adopted an ~8 week old beagle/lab (supposedly) mix about a week and a half ago, so hes around 9-ish weeks old now. We're making slow progress with crate training, but the real issue right now seems to be bite inhibition.

I've read the info in this thread and a bunch of other places and we've been going with saying ouch and removing ourselves from the area for a short period. Voicing our displeasure only seems to encourage him though as if we're playing, and he snaps harder. This also hasn't had any appreciable effect on the strength of his biting strength on other occasions.

Any suggestions? Am I just hoping for too much too soon as far as softer bites? Is there ever a point where you would punish a puppy for this sort of thing?

Just so he doesn't explode here is a picture of him being peaceful and fat:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
He's eight weeks old. He won't even have his milk teeth out for another three or four months.

Puppies bite, and when they bite it hurts like hell cuz those fuckers are like sucked-on candy canes. Definitely do the ouch-leave thing when playing, and if he keeps following you when you end then game then leash him to a table or something.

I bought a pair of oven mitts for playing with Tater which worked well too (we still go at it every so often) but as your dog is gonna be a good bit bigger I guess I can't really recommend it outside of for protection.

But yeah, puppies don't have bite inhibition at eight weeks.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

My girlfriends arms look like she cuts herself our pup has left so many scratches. I'll be happy when he grows out of this stage.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
If the "ouch" noise you're making is just leading to higher arousal, skip the noise or modify it so it doesn't sound like a play sound (deeper, more guttural might help). The real important part is the ending of the game. If that honestly isn't helping and you're starting to get people asking you if you've been cutting or self-harming, it might be time to start using time outs. You'll want to give the pup the option to stop by using the "ouch" and walk away method, but if it continues after that, say "Time out!" and pup spends 15-20 seconds (no more than that) in a Boring Place like a bathroom or closet. We had to do this for a client whose border collie pup was forcing everyone to wear heavy rubber boots around the house to prevent bleeding ankles. Eventually, it worked. Time and consistency are key.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
I usually allow a little bite play with puppies, but when they start hurting, I growl and bite them on the muzzle. That or growl and roll their flew onto their tooth and press so they're hurting themselves. Either way, I growl and tell them it's "too much." I don't agree with the yelping/withdrawling as that's not how in-charge adult dogs react to an annoying puppy. My way is the same way the adult dogs in the household discipline the puppies and establish boundaries. Between that and the structure they receive from the adults, they grow up to still lightly bite-play as adults, but never put teeth on in anger. Not everyone agrees with that or is comfortable with it, and that's cool. Just what I do, and I'm happy with all of the adults we've raised.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

bite puppies all day every day????

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/26/136497064/the-new-science-of-understanding-dog-behavior

I know many goons in Pet Island appreciate the breath of fresh air that has come from Victoria Stilwell's positive dog training techniques, but I also came across a book that really echoes the same philosophy while also making me think about dogs very differently both as a species and as complex companions that have been designed to love us unconditionally.

John Bradshaw's book "Dog Sense" is an awesome guide for dog owners that's not necessarily a training manual (though there is a little advice) but more of a way for us to see the world from a dog's perspective and develop a better understanding. I especially like in the introduction where the author mentions how many dog owners have the expectations, especially in urban environments, that a dog must be better-behaved than a human child while also self-regulated like an adult. I found myself subconsciously doing that... especially when I was in grad school and commuting to the city.

What I'm also really fond of is how Bradshaw talks about our misconceptions of the interaction between wolves in wild packs, while also exploring how we have created misconceptions about dogs through only thinking about them through the lens of "these are merely domesticated wolves in our homes." Has anybody picked this one up? I am loving it so far and I'm wondering if anyone has found some counter-research. This one seems pretty solid and has, no lie, helped me develop a deeper appreciation for someone I have been taking for granted.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Our dog is not a puppy, but we are new dog owners. So I'm asking for advice here instead of the dog training thread which seems to be a little quiet these days.

We adopted a 5 year old miniature pinscher a few months back, and it seems like she's been playing us for fools. For the first weeks she had a really hard time getting used to being alone, but with patience we managed to get her to stop barking and whine while we're away.

Or so we thought. Although we haven't heard her bark in weeks, our neighbors just told us that she's barking and whining for hours while we're at work. Yet when we leave she's quiet and relaxed, and when we get home she's quiet and reasonably excited.

So, how can we train a dog to stop barking, when it only barks when we're not around? I'm kind of stumped here. I'm assuming she's doing this out of boredom and/or excitement when she hears some noise, but any toy or treat that's safe to leave her alone with will only last a few minutes tops.

Should I look into scent or shock collars? Write a program that recognizes her barks and immediately plays some sound? Build some gizmo that releases treat-filled Kong toys twice during the day? What are my options here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

Fraction posted:

bite puppies all day every day????
The other thing I've noticed with this litter is with more adult dog exposure, they are less mouthy without much human intervention or instruction. We put these puppies out with the adults earlier at about 8 weeks, and with all of the adults including the grumpy ones, and they are far less likely to put mouths on you and hesitant to bite play even when played with. When puppies go home at 8 weeks, they have almost none of the structured bite inhibition they'd get from adult dogs, so it's all up to you to teach it. Also, the adult interaction has taught them incredible strange-dog manners, always approaching calmly, cautiously and sensibly. I see ridiculous numbers of puppies in class who facehugger-launch themselves on other dogs and figure that puppy was probably raised in solitary confinement from the other adults they own. Firm but fair is the best approach imo.