Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Niganrefu kamera -> Twin-lens reflex camera.

Thanks! Its cheesy but not lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

photomikey posted:

I do freelance videography for a guy who hires 50-60 people to shoot various football games throughout the season. So, 16 weeks in the fall, every Friday.

His preferred communication is to e-mail everybody in the to: and cc: lines. He will e-mail a couple of times a week, generally valuable information.

Because all of our e-mail addresses are visible, each week we get a few e-mails from members of the group who don't understand the difference between "reply" and "reply all".

I'd like to send these e-mails straight to the trash. However, if that person e-mails just me, I'd like to keep that message.

Furthermore, SOME people will reply-all with valuable information, and I would like to keep those - i.e. your e-mails won't go straight to the trash until I blacklist you.

Can I do this with gmail? I can't figure out how.

What you can do is create a filter that'll automatically send it to the trash. This is on a PC, I dunno how to do this if you're using a phone. This might not work if the reply to alls use cc:, but it's worth a shot anyway. Luckily, since Gmail combined their filters with their search it's easy enough to test!

Wait til you get a few reply to alls so we can make sure they'll be caught by the filter. Once you have them, click on the little down arrow on the right of the search box that's at the top of Gmail's page. It'll bring down a box with a bunch of fields for things like From, To, etc... Fill in the email address of the person you want to block in the From box, and someone random that's also on the list (and isn't you) into the To box. Then hit the blue search button. This should now show only the messages from the soon to be blacklisted person that are reply to alls. If it doesn't, this method won't work and you should ignore the next paragraph.

If it worked right, we can make the filter now. Click the down arrow by the search box again, then click on the Create filter with this search link near the bottom of the popup box. This'll bring up a new box that asks what you want to do with the message. Check the Delete it option and then hit Create Filter. This should automatically delete any reply alls from the troublemakers.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I'm getting ready to send some candy to a friend out of country.

When declaring the contents for the US Customs form, it says to be specific. Is listing it all in bulk as "candy" specific enough, or do I have to list everything individually by name?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I usually sort it into types, like "chocolates" or "lollipops" or "chewy candy."

Vanessie
Apr 29, 2004

I have a heat press that looks like its 20 years old and I was told it still works, but when I plugged it in, the outlet made a big spark and I got chicken and immediately unplugged it. Google says that sparks like that are usually the outlet's fault and not the plug. Should I be scared to try plugging it in one more time in another outlet? Its kind of a useful piece of equipment if it really does work and Im super curious.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Vanessie posted:

I have a heat press that looks like its 20 years old and I was told it still works, but when I plugged it in, the outlet made a big spark and I got chicken and immediately unplugged it. Google says that sparks like that are usually the outlet's fault and not the plug. Should I be scared to try plugging it in one more time in another outlet? Its kind of a useful piece of equipment if it really does work and Im super curious.

If you have a multimeter, you can easily check for a short without plugging it in. If not, the next best thing is probably using a GFI outlet (the ones you see in bathrooms with a built-in breaker - it'll have a test and reset button)

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
If I wanted to find that old-timey, Victorian(?) era style of line art, what would I search for in Google? Think old dictionary illustrations and sometimes those married to the sea comics. I can try to find some examples from stuff I already have if I'm not being clear enough. Thanks.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://www.dmvi.cf.ac.uk/

Do you mean that kind of engraving? Like the stuff used in Wondermark?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Rubies posted:

If I wanted to find that old-timey, Victorian(?) era style of line art, what would I search for in Google? Think old dictionary illustrations and sometimes those married to the sea comics. I can try to find some examples from stuff I already have if I'm not being clear enough. Thanks.

Yep, you're thinking of woodcuts / wood-engraving, like tarepanda suggested. "Woodcut" might be the better of the two words as I think it's more commonly used.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
That's just what I was looking for, thanks dudes!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I need to license an image owned by a Portuguese museum. I read Spanish but not Portuguese.

This is the document that tells you how to request images

http://www.museudearteantiga.pt/Data/Documents/Utiliza%C3%A7%C3%A3o%20de%20imagens/Regulamento%20Imagens%205%20Agosto%202009.pdf

Can someone tell me what the general request process is? (Is there someone I email, or is there a form, or a third party vendor?) I can google translate my way through from there.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Defenestration posted:

I need to license an image owned by a Portuguese museum. I read Spanish but not Portuguese.

This is the document that tells you how to request images

http://www.museudearteantiga.pt/Data/Documents/Utiliza%C3%A7%C3%A3o%20de%20imagens/Regulamento%20Imagens%205%20Agosto%202009.pdf

Can someone tell me what the general request process is? (Is there someone I email, or is there a form, or a third party vendor?) I can google translate my way through from there.
If you want to translate the PDF, you can upload the it to your Google Drive, then open it in Drive and go to Tools->Translate document. It will add a translation after each page.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I want to watch my HBO Go on my TV, but I don't want to tie up my computer streaming it. If I use a USB to HDMI adapter on my Samsung Galaxy 3S should it transmit it's entire screen to my TV so I can stream HBO from that?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Liar posted:

I want to watch my HBO Go on my TV, but I don't want to tie up my computer streaming it. If I use a USB to HDMI adapter on my Samsung Galaxy 3S should it transmit it's entire screen to my TV so I can stream HBO from that?
Yes.
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/21/hbo-go-and-max-go-updates-include-hdmi-out-support/

When you're buying an MHL adapter, make sure you get the right one for your device, as Samsung ones are non-standard.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Liar posted:

Chromecast is a possible alternative since it only ties up one tab and you can do other things while streaming.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

PaganGoatPants posted:

Chromecast is a possible alternative since it only ties up one tab and you can do other things while streaming.

I'm not a tech savy person in the least and have constantly associated Chromecast as something an HDMI cable running out from my video card could do better. If I could just put HBO Go in a tab then minimize it and keep playing on my computer while that tab plays on my TV that actually sounds pretty cool.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Your computer just tells Chromecast where to pull the data from, it doesn't actually stream anything from your computer, but rather directly from your router. It only works on specifically approved providers, of which I think HBO GO is included. I have considered it, but currently the things that work on it are too limited for me to find it worth it. If you use HBO Go a lot, it's probably worth it though, as that is one of the more difficult services to get playing on your TV (No PS3/Xbox or even Roku for certain cable providers like Comcast).

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I have a older (1999) car with a battery near the end of its lifespan that wasn't driven for a week and wouldn't start this morning. Assuming the battery got drained somehow (which I am basing off the fact that the battery icon flashes when I try to start it), I want to try to jump-start it, but the most convenient car to jump it with is brand-new. Is there any harm in using a brand-new car to jump-start another car? Just want to ask before I potentially fry the new car's battery or something like that.

Follow-up question: Is it better to just get one of those car chargers/emergency jumpstarters and if so, can I use one of those to have the battery charged up by tomorrow morning or do they all require some sort of out-of-the-box charging period before they can be used?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

systran posted:

It only works on specifically approved providers, of which I think HBO GO is included.
Not yet. In July there were lots of reports of it "coming soon" but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Casting a video Chrome tab doesn't work as well as the native applications, either, so I wouldn't count on it until it's officially supported.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

New Weave Wendy posted:

I have a older (1999) car with a battery near the end of its lifespan that wasn't driven for a week and wouldn't start this morning. Assuming the battery got drained somehow (which I am basing off the fact that the battery icon flashes when I try to start it), I want to try to jump-start it, but the most convenient car to jump it with is brand-new. Is there any harm in using a brand-new car to jump-start another car? Just want to ask before I potentially fry the new car's battery or something like that.

Follow-up question: Is it better to just get one of those car chargers/emergency jumpstarters and if so, can I use one of those to have the battery charged up by tomorrow morning or do they all require some sort of out-of-the-box charging period before they can be used?

There is a questions thread in automotive insanity for these.

Baring exploding batteries or crossing the terminal there is nothing inherently wrong using a new car to jump it. You could also use a charger straight out the box.

If it runs drive it to your nearest auto parts store and ask them to check out your battery situation. This service is complementary.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Not yet. In July there were lots of reports of it "coming soon" but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Casting a video Chrome tab doesn't work as well as the native applications, either, so I wouldn't count on it until it's officially supported.

Ew. Knowing cable companies, expect this to be available (if ever) at your cable provider's discretion. I bought a Roku solely to use HBO Go on my TV only to find out that comcast doesn't allow streaming via Roku. I'm guessing each company has to individually agree to support Chromecast as well, and that some (like Comcast) will not.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm moving in half a month, and with that, transferring my internet service. Right now, I just have cable (TV is through Dish Network...it's split between them because my roommate had Dish when i moved in, and no internet, and was locked into a contract with them so he couldn't cancel to get a combined cable+internet deal.)

I'm obviously not a new customer, but they get all the best deals (at least for 6-12 months.) Is there any way to convince them to give me the new customer deals? Will threatening to switch to another provider do it? I'm lucky in that there actually IS another provider of cable+internet in the area, so they don't have a total monopoly.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 3, 2013

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

New Weave Wendy posted:

New batteries generally come charged. Those emergency jumper kits are handy, but they're not intended to charge the battery so much as just jump start the vehicle. They sell specific battery chargers for actually charging batteries, but it doesn't sound like you'd need that.

Like XmasGift said, you should take it to a parts store to make sure it's the battery. You could just as easily have a bad alternator or rusted out cable. They can test the alternator at the store along with the battery.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm moving in half a month, and with that, transferring my internet service. Right now, I just have cable (TV is through Dish Network...it's split between them because my roommate had Dish when i moved in, and no internet, and was locked into a contract with them so he couldn't cancel to get a combined cable+internet deal.)

I'm obviously not a new customer, but they get all the best deals (at least for 6-12 months.) Is there any way to convince them to give me the new customer deals? Will threatening to switch to another provider do it? I'm lucky in that there actually IS another provider of cable+internet in the area, so they don't have a total monopoly.

Call them and tell them exactly that. You're moving and there's another provider in the area with comparable service for a lower rate, and you'd like to see if they'll offer you a lower rate to keep you from switching. Worst case scenario, you switch and get the other company's intro rate.

Vanessie
Apr 29, 2004

KnifeWrench posted:

If you have a multimeter, you can easily check for a short without plugging it in. If not, the next best thing is probably using a GFI outlet (the ones you see in bathrooms with a built-in breaker - it'll have a test and reset button)

thank you!

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Is there a way to mirror/stream content from my Surface Pro to my TV using my Xbox 360 in the same way that I can stream content from my iPad to my TV through AppleTV?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the best deal with the least hassle, cancel entirely, then wait 3 days for the flood of mail to come in begging you to return.

There is some possibility that "retentions" will be able to get these deals for you, but there is always a catch, and the deal is never quite as good as the new customers get.

But once you leave... they will do anything to get you back.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of the EnergyStar labels for a given product number, or a manufacturer's certification for that product? My village wants a copy of the EnergyStar labels, which I don't have anymore...

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking to buy Christmas cards in bulk (200-300 cards) to mail out to customers at my work. Does anyone know of any good websites with some interesting/unique/funny designs for cards?

We used to order from these guys : http://www.holidayclassics.com/index.jsp but they have a lot of boring life-less corporate cards. I'm looking for cards with more personality like these : http://www.etsy.com/search?q=funny%20christmas%20card&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US but with bulk pricing.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Came into a little extra money and decided to get a bunch of mostly videogame-related books on Amazon Japan. After piling 11 books into the cart and registering an international address, I was told for everything game-related that "we're sorry; we can't ship this item to the address specified."

1) Really? I know Amazon Japan won't ship software internationally, but they won't ship even software-related *books?* (Nothing's NC-17, by the way, so it's not that.)

2) What would be the least-expensive option for a reshipper? I've used Shopping Mall Japan for past Yahoo Auction purchases but haven't used them much for Amazon. I've had bad customer-service experiences with Celga and Rinkya.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

daggerdragon posted:

Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of the EnergyStar labels for a given product number, or a manufacturer's certification for that product? My village wants a copy of the EnergyStar labels, which I don't have anymore...

http://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/

Try the advanced mode for a giant Excel list of everything that has had an EnergyStar rating.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blenheim posted:

Came into a little extra money and decided to get a bunch of mostly videogame-related books on Amazon Japan. After piling 11 books into the cart and registering an international address, I was told for everything game-related that "we're sorry; we can't ship this item to the address specified."

1) Really? I know Amazon Japan won't ship software internationally, but they won't ship even software-related *books?* (Nothing's NC-17, by the way, so it's not that.)

2) What would be the least-expensive option for a reshipper? I've used Shopping Mall Japan for past Yahoo Auction purchases but haven't used them much for Amazon. I've had bad customer-service experiences with Celga and Rinkya.

Ebay?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Blenheim posted:

I could do it for you.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
I work in retail, and for the first time in 8 years, I had a customer hand write EVERYTHING on a check, including their own personal information (which I've always seen printed on the top left). It screamed potential for fraud, since you could put anybody's account information (routing/account #/etc) on the actual check. I had to check with my boss but I did decline it. She was dismayed. She was buying 2 laptops with her husband.

Like I said, first time seeing it in 8 years, and odds are it was legit, but I guess my question is, why haven't I run into this before? Is there any situation where a bank would issue that type of check without their information?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oddity posted:

I work in retail, and for the first time in 8 years, I had a customer hand write EVERYTHING on a check, including their own personal information (which I've always seen printed on the top left). It screamed potential for fraud, since you could put anybody's account information (routing/account #/etc) on the actual check. I had to check with my boss but I did decline it. She was dismayed. She was buying 2 laptops with her husband.

Like I said, first time seeing it in 8 years, and odds are it was legit, but I guess my question is, why haven't I run into this before? Is there any situation where a bank would issue that type of check without their information?

We call those "counter checks" and there's nothing necessarily sketchy about them. Banks wouldn't issue them but they might hand a few out if you ask since there's nothing risky about it. Counter checks would only have the bank's number and later be MICR encoded with account number, tran code, as it goes through the system.

The point is only ever accept a check if you trust and have recourse on the drawer--that matters more than if it's made out on a napkin.

Edit: how many series of numbers were there on the bottom? It could be that the customer's information was there in full but their name just wasn't printed on the check. It's not necessarily easy to find out somebody's account number, but the fact is nothing means poo poo on a check other than the signature.

Edit again: what reason exactly did your boss have for declining it?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 4, 2013

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Oddity posted:

Some banks will give out checks without any personal info if someone comes in and starts a checking account. The bank will give some preprinted checks without actual info,as a way to help tide people over until they get the actual checks with all the personal info. You could maybe pay the rent with one of those starter checks, because the landlord knows where you live and can kick you out if your check bounces.

But no sane business accepts those starter checks.

The story you described looks like a really sad attempt a checking scam. Trying to buy some high end equipment with a bad check, that just screams a con.

The reason you've never seen it before, is because nobody is dumb enough to fall for that scam.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 4, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

thrakkorzog posted:

Some banks will give out checks without any personal info if someone comes in and starts a checking account. The bank will give some preprinted checks without actual info,as a way to help tide people over until they get the actual checks with all the personal info. You could maybe pay the rent with one of those starter checks, because the landlord knows where you live and can kick you out if your check bounces.

But no sane business accepts those starter checks.

The story you described looks like a really sad attempt a checking scam. Trying to buy some high end equipment with a bad check, that just screams a con.

The reason you've never seen it before, is because nobody is dumb enough to fall for that scam.

Yep I got some of those "starter checks" when I opened a new checking account a couple months ago. I used one to buy a new set of tires (>$500). The Ford dealership needed a copy of my driver's license, but otherwise took the check and it cleared no problem.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Is there a good source for kilts in the US that doesn't cost a fortune? I buy pants locally for $10/pair, and I know that won't happen for a specialty item, but I'm hoping closer to 50 than 200.

I am a Scot entitled to a couple tartans, but I'm hoping for just casual wear and comfort in the summer without breaking the bank. A pointer to another thread would be fine too.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
When I worked at best buy in 95 we wouldn't take starter checks at all. Buying 2 laptops on any kind of personal check seems fishy* to me, a consumer can get all kinds of purchase protection and free extended warranty putting it on a credit card, plus you don't have to use a pen for anything more than your signature. If I needed 2 laptops and had $2000 cash in my pocket I'd still use a CC.

*Unless they were really really old. Old people write checks for EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My router is on the top floor of my house. TV is in the basement 2 floor down and the wifi signal doesn't seem to be as strong down there. Is there a way to setup a signal repeater or something similar easily to boost the signal?