Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So uh, I came in here to see how people are enjoying the game and saw this.

This isn't a spoiler right? :(

Like if it's early on that's fine but I don't want the goofy final boss message spoiled, it takes all the charm of it popping up away.

It is in fact a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Dunban posted:

It is in fact a spoiler.

Great. Thanks a lot you buttholes.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Haha, holy poo poo... Did Vorken's ship do a Zandatsu on that ship in the last bit of the game? Oh platinum. :allears:

Just finished the game and honestly about halfway through the game is the point where I finally 'got' the game and stopped sucking so much, now to find all the platinum coins, hidden missions and files... Then it's on to Hard.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I wouldn't take that spoiler picture seriously. The Wonderful 101 is a game where you have to save the earth from alien invaders. The game description itself might as well be considered a spoiler!

But yeah, it would be cool not to have screenshots of game spoiling stuff in the thread if it can be helped. :shobon:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Anyone have a good strategy against the turtle enemies? I can't kill them quickly, it takes forever to break their armor. If you reflect a stomp they reel back and expose their belly, but I'm not sure what to do there.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Spite posted:

Anyone have a good strategy against the turtle enemies? I can't kill them quickly, it takes forever to break their armor. If you reflect a stomp they reel back and expose their belly, but I'm not sure what to do there.

After you reflect the stomp, a few punches will knock them on their back during which you can lay in.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
A really big hammer will crack their shells in 3 or 4 hits (assuming you dn't get caught in the air by their goddamn eruption attacks. Just make sure to turn off attack liner when you're fighting them otherwise you probably won't have enough room to make a big enough hammer.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

A really big hammer will crack their shells in 3 or 4 hits (assuming you dn't get caught in the air by their goddamn eruption attacks. Just make sure to turn off attack liner when you're fighting them otherwise you probably won't have enough room to make a big enough hammer.

The hammer is indeed effective, but the larger ones are so slow that it's really hard to get a normal attack in without being countered. There's a particular strategy with it that I've found really effective, though: equip the hammer, run up to the turtle, hit it with a Wonder Rising and follow up with a normal attack from the air. Not only does this let you hit it twice, but the Rising is fast enough to get away from the eruptions and once you're in the air there's nothing the turtles can do to interrupt the normal attack. I'm thinking you could even call in extra hammers with the Multi-Unite Morph while you're in the air and just have them rain down from the heavens, but I haven't had time to try that out yet.

Of course, you have to play far enough to actually unlock the Wonder Rising for the hammer first.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Ignimbrite posted:

(Spoilered for the people who like to experiment and find these things on their own) If you stun them by reflecting their small single foot stomp, you can immediately hit them with wonder rising while they're teetering to get them on their backs. Then, they're much more vulnerable to hammer attacks for a short time and also aren't spamming their volcanic attack on you.

Currently been going through and finding all the Kahkoo-regahs, a huge amount of them are devilishly placed and they all have special trigger conditions. The one in the first level they show you outright has nothing on some of them, like the one in the prologue which is only accessible when you have Unite Hammer, you have to hammer the damaged hatch on car 3 of the bus. Even once you've found them, actually beating them can be an ordeal in of itself (there's one in the epilogue in the same place as the prologue one, and it's a loving no damage run of the first punch-out style boss, urgh.).

Well played, Platinum :shepface:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

(there's one in the epilogue in the same place as the prologue one, and it's a loving no damage run of the first punch-out style boss, urgh.).

Huh, really? Kind of neat that they did that considering that it's one of the unlock conditions for Wonder Goggles. Might have to give it a try.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

HelloWinter posted:

I wouldn't take that spoiler picture seriously. The Wonderful 101 is a game where you have to save the earth from alien invaders. The game description itself might as well be considered a spoiler!

But yeah, it would be cool not to have screenshots of game spoiling stuff in the thread if it can be helped. :shobon:

Oh I'm aware that you're most likely going to save the world unless the game has a strange dark rear end turn, I just like goofy prompts Platinum comes up with time to time as they're always surprising when the pop up.

It's just small details I like being caught off guard by :v:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just bought this game and was about 3/4 of the way through the first level and thought, I'm not really enjoying this and thought to try return it.

Then about 15 minutes later I was hooked and played it till my controller died.

If anyone else feels a little similar, give it a little longer, it gets really fun.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
This game is absolutely amazing. It's super-challenging, (gently caress you, Vorrken) but ultimately fair and awfully fun. I recently got Wonder Black and although I'm having issues integrating him in my combos, mixing up unite morphs is tons of fun.

Is there anything beyond damaging opponents to level up your teammates? I've beaten the forth boss mostly with Unite Gun and I still haven't unlocked Rising for it.

Edit: If anyone thinks the spiky armor dudes take too long to disarm, use a bigger whip, you can rid it with a couple hits if it's big enough. Unite Charge really helps out in this case.

Also, I'm having trouble effectively fighting the turtle monsters. I understand you can block their stomp and knock them over, but the geathjerk file mentions their tail being their weakpoint, and while it looks like I could use Unite Whip on it, it's not doing anything.Am I missing something?

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 8, 2013

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Unite Hammer is your friend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

This game is absolutely amazing. It's super-challenging, (gently caress you, Vorrken) but ultimately fair and awfully fun. I recently got Wonder Black and although I'm having issues integrating him in my combos, mixing up unite morphs is tons of fun.

Is there anything beyond damaging opponents to level up your teammates? I've beaten the forth boss mostly with Unite Gun and I still haven't unlocked Rising for it.

Edit: If anyone thinks the spiky armor dudes take too long to disarm, use a bigger whip, you can rid it with a couple hits if it's big enough. Unite Charge really helps out in this case.

Also, I'm having trouble effectively fighting the turtle monsters. I understand you can block their stomp and knock them over, but the geathjerk file mentions their tail being their weakpoint, and while it looks like I could use Unite Whip on it, it's not doing anything.Am I missing something?

Honestly, for those guys, my strategy was Unite Hammer -> Unite Hammer Rising -> Unite Air Hammer -> repeat. That combo tore through their armor like nothing.

Black is honestly the hardest to get into combos because he's more of a debuff than an attacker. I usually start off with him but then just use others.

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
Black works best as a multi-unite morph in my experience.

horriblePencilist posted:

If your whip has good enough reach you can knock them out of their ball attack and stagger them in a single hit

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Use the bigger morphs anytime you can, they do waaaay more damage. Hero time also makes a huge difference. Don't forget the X button unite attacks either (though the usefulness of those depends on the enemy).

Vorkken isn't that bad once you get the tells down - stay away from him unless he's using hammer or punch, then counterattack with the biggest fist/punch you can make.
When he guards, run away since he'll use a sword cyclone which has crazy range.

Are there counters to the claw?

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013
Hero counter or run like hell. I use it to get a few shots in with the gun.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
My friend got me a copy of this at PAX, and I've been playing it non-stop this weekend. This game is goddamn incredible.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bya_kIINBfQ

New combo strats video, really shows how deep the combat is.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a snowball's chance in Hell this will ever be a non-exclusive? I normally don't care about action games, but Chip's video where he played the demo looks awesome. Panicking because I just hosed something up and hastily drawing the weapon I need to not die sounds tense as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

Is there a snowball's chance in Hell this will ever be a non-exclusive? I normally don't care about action games, but Chip's video where he played the demo looks awesome. Panicking because I just hosed something up and hastily drawing the weapon I need to not die sounds tense as hell.

No. Nintendo completely funded it. It is never coming to another system. Platinum could make a similar game for another system maybe but W101 is completely Nintendo's.

Joink posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bya_kIINBfQ

New combo strats video, really shows how deep the combat is.

Those are honestly pretty basic combos too. You can do some hilarious poo poo once you master stuff.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

No. Nintendo completely funded it. It is never coming to another system.

Welp, time to wait for someone to get tired of their Wii U so I can get one for cheap.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Spite posted:

Use the bigger morphs anytime you can, they do waaaay more damage. Hero time also makes a huge difference. Don't forget the X button unite attacks either (though the usefulness of those depends on the enemy).

Vorkken isn't that bad once you get the tells down - stay away from him unless he's using hammer or punch, then counterattack with the biggest fist/punch you can make.
When he guards, run away since he'll use a sword cyclone which has crazy range.

Are there counters to the claw?

You can counter the claw with claw, actually. When you attack along with him, you both negate the damage. I'm really mad that Vorrken's Guts is way more effective, not even sword can break it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Polygon put up their review of the game and while it's not nearly as terrible as Blistered Thumbs' it's still a bit critical of stuff (although this is probably expected since Platinum titles get mixed reviews): http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/10/4714292/the-wonderful-101-review

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeether posted:

Polygon put up their review of the game and while it's not nearly as terrible as Blistered Thumbs' it's still a bit critical of stuff (although this is probably expected since Platinum titles get mixed reviews): http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/10/4714292/the-wonderful-101-review

Every single time someone says they don't know how to do the claws, I get utterly bewildered.

Claws are literally "tap left, tap right, tap left." It's like doing Sabin's first blitz in Final Fantasy VI. It requires absolutely no effort whatsoever. Seriously. Three button taps. It is one of the easiest weapons to switch to.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Kurtofan posted:

Hideki Kamiya:

-Making Platinum a second party Nintendo game:

Please, make it happen. :(

Do you mean in the sense of giving them a Nintendo series like Metroid, or making Platinum an exclusive second party developer? The former then cool but if the latter then screw that, it'd be absolutely criminal to chain arguably the finest developer of recent years to the death throes of Nintendo's home console days.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I really love modern game reviewers. "The game is not piss easy, doesn't hold my hand 100% of the time and requires me to actually improve on and master game mechanics. Game is bullshit too hard F/10 would not play again."

Like look at this poo poo

quote:

Unfortunately, The Wonderful 101's visual cues are few and far between, and most battles consisted of cycling through attacks trying to find something that was effective against a given enemy. There are just so many different attacks to keep track of (in addition to each member’s "Unity" weapon, the whole team can transform into a spring, a rocket, a ball, a blob of defensive jelly and more) that looking for enemy weaknesses often felt like guesswork. Without more hints, I felt like I was fumbling in the dark.

No loving way, this is a Kamiya/Platinum joint, there are plenty of cues both audio and visual. I haven't played the game yet but I absolutely do not believe this statement.

quote:

It doesn’t help matters that most of the characters are ridiculously stereotypical cookie cutters. The team’s sole woman (Wonder-Pink, of course) is obsessed with beauty and makeup, the only East Asian endlessly delivers Confucian sayings through a thick accent. By the end of The Wonderful 101, I didn't think these repeated incidents were malicious — just lazy, perhaps. But even if these tired stereotypes don’t offend you, they’ll probably bore you.

Goddamn Justin, miss the point a little harder.

Woops missed this choice excerpt

quote:

Since the line is literally being formed by members of the team, you often have to try to draw the shapes in 3D space (like up the side of a building) which is similarly frustrating. This bit is a tad easier with the GamePad, but since you have to look away from the screen and remove your hand from the controls to summon abilities that way, it’s just not practical. It doesn’t help that the screen is so insanely cluttered most of the time it can be difficult to tell if you’re running your team line directly into enemies (that is if you can even find your hero to start with).

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 10, 2013

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Joystiq also has their review up: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/the-wonderful-101-review/

They ended up giving it a good score, but bits of info like this erk me!

Joystiq posted:

There's a weak attack where they all rush an enemy at once, but that's only useful when breaking down trees and park benches for in-game currency.

That's how I played the game at first, and then I learned how useful the Team Attack is! You can use it to daze enemies, so you can do combos and juggle them! Don't make the same mistakes I did and ignore this useful attack! :argh:

Enemies attacking from off screen is a complaint I share with reviewers, though. Enemies do have sound cues for their attacks, but even then, enemies in DMC and Bayonetta didn't attack unless they were on screen, why do they do it here?

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Video game reviews are so irrelevant. Sucks that numbers on a site like metacritic can influence the sales of a game more than word of mouth.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Joink posted:

Video game reviews are so irrelevant. Sucks that numbers on a site like metacritic can influence the sales of a game more than word of mouth.

Well, which is it? Either they don't matter or they do matter, you said both in two sentences.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Obviously what he was saying was that game reviews don't matter to how good the game is, but do matter to how it sells.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Unless I agree with the review. Then I will quote the hell out of it.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
loving hell. Reading poo poo like those "reviews" makes me legitimately angry, even though it shouldn't.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Goddamn Justin, miss the point a little harder.
I haven't played the game so maybe I'm missing some context here, but what is the point exactly?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Midee posted:

I haven't played the game so maybe I'm missing some context here, but what is the point exactly?

The game doesn't take itself very seriously. Basically everything is turned up to 11 and purposely exaggerated.

Anyone who's honestly offended by the characters is a goddamn idiot.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Joystiq also has their review up: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/the-wonderful-101-review/

They ended up giving it a good score, but bits of info like this erk me!

This is a good review by someone who "gets it"

quote:

It can be frustrating at first, but battles turn into strategic set-pieces once you crack the combat, built around the successful juggling of Unite Morph combos, hairpin rolls and split-second blocks. The combination of pattern recognition, space management and lightning reflexes almost resembles a fighting game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Enemies attacking from off screen is a complaint I share with reviewers, though. Enemies do have sound cues for their attacks, but even then, enemies in DMC and Bayonetta didn't attack unless they were on screen, why do they do it here?

Are you zoomed out all the way at all times? It could be based on the biggest draw distance.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Zeether posted:

Polygon is just terrible and their reviews are all over the place. They supposedly have a rubric, but the actual copy does not bear that out. Like, they'll give Wonderful 101 a 6, The Last of Us a 7.5, but turn around and give Gone Home a perfect 10 because the reviewer (huge, huge spoilers if you give even the smallest poo poo about that game) is a lesbian, and so is the main character, and the entire "game" ends up being about a teenage relationship and not anything remotely spooky. The game reminded her of herself, GOTY 10/10 a masterpiece game has no flaws at all.

There's no such thing as "objective" reviews, but a reviewer kind of has a responsibility to back a score up with an adequate discussion. Polygon reviews tend to be painfully underwritten, especially if a game gives an editor a bug up the rear end about something social justice-y. In at least two recent cases, the reviews have literally been entire pages of "every creative choice in this game is gross and offensive to me and you're awful if you like this" followed by a token paragraph about "oh yeah it's also sort of grind-y, too, or there's some screen-tearing. Final score: Hitler's Taint."

It's best if everyone thinks of Polygon's reviews as glorified op-eds by people who don't particularly like video games. The good news is Wonderful 101 has a great demo that sells itself. The bad news is you need a Wii U to play that demo. :(

quote:

It doesn’t help matters that most of the characters are ridiculously stereotypical cookie cutters. The team’s sole woman (Wonder-Pink, of course) is obsessed with beauty and makeup, the only East Asian endlessly delivers Confucian sayings through a thick accent. By the end of The Wonderful 101, I didn't think these repeated incidents were malicious — just lazy, perhaps. But even if these tired stereotypes don’t offend you, they’ll probably bore you.

Things like this go beyond a concern for Polygon, it's a fetish. It's Kotaku with better web design, if every Kotaku editor were Patricia Hernandez cranked up to 11. Rational people can safely ignore Polygon whenever they get on the warpath about something.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's a big, dumb Power Rangers story, not a character study. The cast are basic stereotypes because that's as much characterisation as they need to facilitate their jokes and interplay, and push the narrative.

• Locked thread