Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

I have a Nexus 4 with the September 2nd CM 10.2 nightly, and I'm having trouble installing 3rd-party apps. I've tried updating an app in F-Droid, then uninstalled F-Droid and re-downloaded it, but couldn't install from the notification in the shade, I had to use EStrongs. The problem I have is that the "Install" button at the bottom of the permissions screen doesn't react when I tap it.

I've double-checked that "Unknown sources" is checked.

Do you have Twilight installed? If you do, don't and that should fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is group messaging fixed on CM 10.2 on the Gnexus yet?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

TLG James posted:

Anyone rocking CM 10.2 on the S3?

Wondering if it is worth waiting for a stable build.

Are there any stable builds of anything for the S3? I got mine rooted but didn't feel comfortable flashing to any of the ROMs that I saw. Truth be told I'm actually very happy with the Stock S3. Happy enough that I feel 0 compulsion to flash anything.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

rotaryfun posted:

Are there any stable builds of anything for the S3? I got mine rooted but didn't feel comfortable flashing to any of the ROMs that I saw. Truth be told I'm actually very happy with the Stock S3. Happy enough that I feel 0 compulsion to flash anything.

I have a Note 2 and the current nightlie is the best one yet. My battery life is way better than past versions and some of the weird graphics glitches that I was having are gone.

EDIT: Do I have to flash Gapps every time I flash a new ROM?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 3, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any decent root tool/step for a Galaxy S4 (international version)? Motochopper doesn't work for me even after following the guide and doing it properly. I'm still running 4.2.2. Or should I just go for CM 10.2? What I want is to remove certain samsung apps that are always trying to update, isn't something critical but I like to have my OS bit more clean.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Brilliant so CM10.2 doesnt have the one feature I want which is to disable the bloody volume nag. Or has it been hidden away somwhere else?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

rotaryfun posted:

I've been running like the last 10.1 stable for quite some time. No real issues.

Clever Gamma
Mar 23, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Is there any decent root tool/step for a Galaxy S4 (international version)? Motochopper doesn't work for me even after following the guide and doing it properly. I'm still running 4.2.2. Or should I just go for CM 10.2? What I want is to remove certain samsung apps that are always trying to update, isn't something critical but I like to have my OS bit more clean.

I found this: http://galaxys4root.com/galaxy-s4-root/how-to-root-verizon-galaxy-s4-sch-i545/

I'm looking to root for the first time, and Angry Bean/CM are my candidates. Does anyone have experience with how well these work on the S4? The site I linked above only lists HyperDrive, JellyBeans, and Eclipse as stable.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Whizbang posted:

Do you have Twilight installed? If you do, don't and that should fix it.

That did it, thanks. In the future, would it be enough to freeze Twilight with Titanium Backup?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anime and cars posted:

Brilliant so CM10.2 doesnt have the one feature I want which is to disable the bloody volume nag. Or has it been hidden away somwhere else?
It does, but I'm not sure it's an option. I think it's just disabled.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

anime and cars posted:

Assuming you're talking about the same nag I am:
Settings > Sound > Volumes > Untick "Safe Headset Volume"

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I have a S4 and I was starting to get an itch to root this bad boy but I have the CSpire version and I don't really see any info on that one. Does anyone have any ideas on that?

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

I'm upgrading my Samsung Exhibit II to a Nexus 4 and have a few questions since the OP seems outdated. As long as I'm not missing anything, it appears that you can tether for free (at least through USB) and use torch apps without rooting now. Is this correct? Those are the two biggest reasons I rooted my Exhibit and I don't want to be flagged and have my warranty voided almost as soon as I get it just for two things I can do without a root.

The tethering isn't a huge deal since I only usually have to do it when I make specific trips and I'll just bring the exhibit with me to tether. I do love my flashlight, though.

Edit: I'm on T-mobile's $30 walmart plan if that's for whatever reason relevant.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
No idea about the tethering but the flashlight works fine for me. There is a billion free flashlight apps that all seem to work well.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Konjuro posted:

Assuming you're talking about the same nag I am:
Settings > Sound > Volumes > Untick "Safe Headset Volume"

I didnt see it on yesterdays nightly on the N4?

I guess ill try flashing it again as I just reverted to my old nandroid.

Edit: im a retard and didnt realise that they moved the option to volumes like Konjuro pointed out

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 4, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Clever Gamma posted:

I found this: http://galaxys4root.com/galaxy-s4-root/how-to-root-verizon-galaxy-s4-sch-i545/

I'm looking to root for the first time, and Angry Bean/CM are my candidates. Does anyone have experience with how well these work on the S4? The site I linked above only lists HyperDrive, JellyBeans, and Eclipse as stable.

That just wont work because my phone isn't Verizon and the build number is completely different, that's why I pointed the international thing.

Fake edit: I found a tutorial for my GT-I9505 but it's in spanish. Works perfectly using Odin 3.07. I'll link it just in case anyone is interested:
http://www.androidpit.es/root-samsung-galaxy-s4
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqHGNHOaYeU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I'm upgrading my Samsung Exhibit II to a Nexus 4 and have a few questions since the OP seems outdated. As long as I'm not missing anything, it appears that you can tether for free (at least through USB) and use torch apps without rooting now. Is this correct? Those are the two biggest reasons I rooted my Exhibit and I don't want to be flagged and have my warranty voided almost as soon as I get it just for two things I can do without a root.
Tethering via USB and Wi-Fi are both available out of the box. Whether your provider allows it or detects it is another issue for you to deal with.

Flashlight apps (turning on the camera flash) should also work fine though I personally don't use one.

But the most important thing to note here is that rooting a Nexus device is not like it is on other phones. You can safely unlock the bootloader without invalidating your warranty and both this and rooting/unrooting are a completely trivial process. Even though these phones are now marketed to consumers, they are still designed to be used as developer devices.

Unless you care a lot about your device being super-secure, it is recommended that you unlock the bootloader immediately since that step will wipe your device if you ever want to do it later. You don't have to root or do anything else at that point but but leaves the option open later.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 4, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Unless you care a lot about your device being super-secure, it is recommended that you unlock the bootloader immediately since that step will wipe your device if you ever want to do it later. You don't have to root or do anything else at that point but but leaves the option open later.
The point here being that even if you don't root and never plan to, fixing a problem will always have unlocking the bootloader as the first step so if down the road something does go wrong there's a chance you may not have to lose your data.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

And if you're worried about security, encrypt your phone and the fact that your phone is unlocked makes no difference.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Tunga posted:

But the most important thing to note here is that rooting a Nexus device is not like it is on other phones. You can safely unlock the bootloader without invalidating your warranty and both this and rooting/unrooting are a completely trivial process. Even though these phones are now marketed to consumers, they are still designed to be used as developer devices.
I did not know this. That's very good to know.

I've worked around T-Mobile's tethering block with a user agent plugin so no worries there.

I'll probably be rooting my nexus eventually since voiding the warranty shouldn't be an issue.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I'll probably be rooting my nexus eventually since voiding the warranty shouldn't be an issue.
In that case you'll definitely want to unlock the bootloader on arrival to avoid having to wipe the device when you eventually decide to roor.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LiquidRain posted:

And if you're worried about security, encrypt your phone and the fact that your phone is unlocked makes no difference.

Not on a Nexus, but how well does phone encryption work if I have an external SD plugged in too? I've thought off-and-on about encrypting my S3 (running CM 10.1), but then I hear people say things about it hurting performance and causing bugs.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Is there a quick one-stop site that explains how I can both root my AT&T HTC One and install a stock Android OS/the nexus user experience, which links to all software downloads I need? I have no idea what I'm doing with something like this and always end up screwing something up so I really need a basic guide. Also, if I decide I don't like the non-Sense OS, will a factory reset still work? Just in case I need to use the warranty in the next few months, which I understand is violated if my phone is rooted but won't be an issue if I restore it back to factory first.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

RFX posted:

Is there a quick one-stop site that explains how I can both root my AT&T HTC One and install a stock Android OS/the nexus user experience, which links to all software downloads I need? I have no idea what I'm doing with something like this and always end up screwing something up so I really need a basic guide. Also, if I decide I don't like the non-Sense OS, will a factory reset still work? Just in case I need to use the warranty in the next few months, which I understand is violated if my phone is rooted but won't be an issue if I restore it back to factory first.

In the case that you want to do warranty work, you really have to do a lot more than just a 'factory restore', you'll need to unroot the device, you'll need to flash a stock ROM back on it, and if I remember correctly there is also some intermediate step where you reset a 'counter', at least I had to do a bunch of that stuff to get my S3 to look stock again before selling it.

It's not entirely straightforward, but it's possible (again, at least it CAN be possible).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you've taken the latest OTA from AT&T then your options are somewhat limited. There are two ways to get a stock android rom on your one.

The first is to turn off the phone's security verification. This is called s=off.

To get s=off you need to push an executable to your phone called revone and run that. You can get s=off with that tool and also unlock your bootloader.

If you have taken the latest AT&T ota, revone won't work because the exploit that revone uses has been patched. I believe you can install the factory AT&T rom (called an RUU) which thou can download from HTC in order to downgrade to a version that wasn't yet patched.

Once you have s=off you can change the phone's model ID and carrier ID, then install the RUU for the Google play edition which you can download from HTC. It won't install unless your carrier id and model id match. This is the more complicated way but also the most complete way. It turns your phone into the Google play edition and you'll get ota updates for the Google play edition. Going back to stock with this method is simple. Change your model and carrier IDs back to what they were before and install the AT&T RUU. Relock the bootloader with revone, go back to s=on and you're completely back to stock.

The easier way is to just download one of the custom roms available on xda for a Google play rom. You'll need to unlock your bootloader by signing up at htcdev.com. Then you can install a custom recovery and custom rom. All without needing s=off. The disadvantage to this method is that you're running a rom that some phone dork has cooked up at home AND when you're ready to go back to stock your bootloader will show Relocked, tipping off warranty people that your phone has been previously unlocked and thus voiding your warranty. Going s=off prevents the phone from saying relocked when you relock it.

So it's not that simple but it can be done. I have s=off on my t mobile US One and I changed the model and carrier IDs to match the unbranded European model so I got HTC updates without having to wait for t mobile to push them, if they ever even do.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 4, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Not on a Nexus, but how well does phone encryption work if I have an external SD plugged in too? I've thought off-and-on about encrypting my S3 (running CM 10.1), but then I hear people say things about it hurting performance and causing bugs.

I haven't encountered any bugs. If you keep app data on your SD card it'll be unencrypted, naturally. I have no idea how the performance impact is. My phone runs fine to me. I imagine disk i/o is slower but that won't affect scrolling/games at all really.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

GutBomb posted:

If you've taken the latest OTA from AT&T then your options are somewhat limited. There are two ways to get a stock android rom on your one.

The first is to turn off the phone's security verification. This is called s=off.

To get s=off you need to push an executable to your phone called revone and run that. You can get s=off with that tool and also unlock your bootloader.

If you have taken the latest AT&T ota, revone won't work because the exploit that revone uses has been patched. I believe you can install the factory AT&T rom (called an RUU) which thou can download from HTC in order to downgrade to a version that wasn't yet patched.

Once you have s=off you can change the phone's model ID and carrier ID, then install the RUU for the Google play edition which you can download from HTC. It won't install unless your carrier id and model id match. This is the more complicated way but also the most complete way. It turns your phone into the Google play edition and you'll get ota updates for the Google play edition. Going back to stock with this method is simple. Change your model and carrier IDs back to what they were before and install the AT&T RUU. Relock the bootloader with revone, go back to s=on and you're completely back to stock.

The easier way is to just download one of the custom roms available on xda for a Google play rom. You'll need to unlock your bootloader by signing up at htcdev.com. Then you can install a custom recovery and custom rom. All without needing s=off. The disadvantage to this method is that you're running a rom that some phone dork has cooked up at home AND when you're ready to go back to stock your bootloader will show Relocked, tipping off warranty people that your phone has been previously unlocked and thus voiding your warranty. Going s=off prevents the phone from saying relocked when you relock it.

So it's not that simple but it can be done. I have s=off on my t mobile US One and I changed the model and carrier IDs to match the unbranded European model so I got HTC updates without having to wait for t mobile to push them, if they ever even do.

Sounds possible, but just the type of thing I'd be very likely to screw up, so I'll stay with Sense for now. Thanks for the explanation though!

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
What's the proper way to backup & restore the phone with Titanium when clean flashing? I've always used nandroid and just restored data-only after each flash, but I heard this is pretty much the same as dirty flashing.

I checked Titanium but was confused what to backup and what to select when restoring.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

UncleGuito posted:

What's the proper way to backup & restore the phone with Titanium when clean flashing? I've always used nandroid and just restored data-only after each flash, but I heard this is pretty much the same as dirty flashing.

I checked Titanium but was confused what to backup and what to select when restoring.

I prefer Helium, personally, since the UI isn't poo poo and it seems to work better. Give that a shot?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

UncleGuito posted:

That literally is dirty flashing. Use a batch backup in tibu to back up all user apps and data then restore those on a fresh install.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

big mean giraffe posted:

That literally is dirty flashing. Use a batch backup in tibu to back up all user apps and data then restore those on a fresh install.

Which "schedules" should I select for the backup? And do I have to redo all of my OS settings after the flash if I'm running CM or something?

Maybe I'll check out Helium as well.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

My mom's phone has crashed for the nth time, deleting all of her contacts. Thankfully, I'd backed them up over the summer in case of such poo poo happening, but I'm wondering if it would be better overall to just root the phone. It is the original Samsung Stratosphere, and I believe it's running Gingerbread, but I might be wrong. What is a good course of action if I can only work with the phone for this one moment?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are you not using Google Contacts?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

It's certainly not the same as dirty flashing if you're just restoring app data and not system data but I'm not sure exactly how extracting from a nandroid works (i.e. if it gives you the choice).

The proper way to use Titanium is to have local backups available of all the apps, then after flashing a new ROM you allow the apps to redownload from the Play Store, then you restore those apps' data with Titanium. Apps that you have backups for but aren't installed (they'll be crossed off and at the bottom) you can then restore apps+data for. As long as you do it this way it's in no way similar to a dirty flash. Restoring system data in Titanium is what would be equivalent.

Apps in white are user apps and those are what you'd restore. Things in green are system apps and should not be restored or have their data restored. Things in yellow are XML tables that allow you to restore your call log and your SMS message threads. They can be restored usually but could also break things across ROMs though I've never had any break an install with the exception of the WiFi Access Points (those should come across with your Google Account anyway).

As for the Schedules, I have one: a backup of all user apps and system data. I run it two days a week and keep a maximum of two backups per app so if an app updates and I want to revert I have a week to notice. Alternatively you can use an automatic upload of your backups to the cloud but I've never had that succeed and eventually I just stopped trying. If you have a device which stores the backups on an SD card it's not really necessary anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey Sprint Galaxy Nexus users who are waiting for CM10.2, here is the commit you need to keep an eye on to see when you'll get your builds.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

It's certainly not the same as dirty flashing if you're just restoring app data and not system data but I'm not sure exactly how extracting from a nandroid works (i.e. if it gives you the choice).

Restoring the data partition from a nandroid would restore system app data to, wouldn't it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Restoring the data partition from a nandroid would restore system app data to, wouldn't it?
I didn't go through with the restore in Titanium to find out. I would assume and I could be way off base that it allows you to view all the apps and to pick and choose which apps with data you'd like to restore. I was just suspicious enough that it might just restore the entire data partition wholesale without confirmation that I didn't press the nandroid from which to extract the data. Given that the dialogue says "Please select the Nandroid backup you'd like to extract apps/data from:" I could see it just restoring the entire data partition so you might well be correct. I'm pretty sure that that option is only a last resort-type option and I've never gotten to the point where I needed to do it.

Even so, I was under the impression that system data was stored in the system partition. Why else would not wiping system preserve user data when moving to a new ROM even after using the factory reset option in recovery?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

Given that the dialogue says "Please select the Nandroid backup you'd like to extract apps/data from:" I could see it just restoring the entire data partition so you might well be correct. I'm pretty sure that that option is only a last resort-type option and I've never gotten to the point where I needed to do it.
Nah, it'll first scan the whole nandroid which takes a while, then you'll get to choose what to restore. It's slow and clumsy, but it's a life saver if you need it.

I've only used it once though, so I could be misremembering.

E: Oh, and it won't work for all apps.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Hey Sprint Galaxy Nexus users who are waiting for CM10.2, here is the commit you need to keep an eye on to see when you'll get your builds.

You're a nice person :allears:

Thanks for this—I was bummed about not getting 10.2 earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I know that rooting a One normally wipes the phone, but I have the factory unlocked, Dev Edition of the HTC One...does this one still get wiped when it's rooted?