Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Bummey posted:

False positives are common as hell. Unless it's a :filez: .ipa (and why would you pirate an app that goes free as often as those loving shark games?) don't worry about it.

Alright, cool. I just wanted to double check just in case. Thank you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Anyone trying out Freak Tower? If so add me: 87Q90Y

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Corridor posted:

Why the gently caress is Baron on your team? :catstare:

Are any of the random drop monsters any good? I've only gotten B's from the stone invocation aside from my first pull, so right now I've got Eve, my starting monster, a Wildwolf, a Flame Golem and a flame warrior girl whose name I forget. Baron is my only decent lightning monster, but a singleton element felt like more of a liability than just going blue/red.

I just finished the first three quests in the second town, but the tournament is annihilating me. It seems like I always get hosed -- either the monsters are the worst possible colors, or I get questions of the wrong element, or nothing but Sports, or an insanely hard question at just the wrong time so half my team gets killed, or some combination of the above. So I end up with a final score of 20 while That Same Fucker finishes with 9 again because I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by the ghost of a guy who probably graduated to a harder tournament level a week ago.

It just feels like hitting level 30/40/50 with my main dudes will take forever, even if I feed 8 drops to an evo material and then feed that to my invoked monsters. Am I missing something? Do I grind old quests, or just slam my head against this loving aggravating as gently caress tournament bullshit until I can progress again?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Anyone trying out Freak Tower? If so add me: 87Q90Y

I'm giving it a go.

U0WQU2

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

opaopa13 posted:

Are any of the random drop monsters any good? I've only gotten B's from the stone invocation aside from my first pull, so right now I've got Eve, my starting monster, a Wildwolf, a Flame Golem and a flame warrior girl whose name I forget. Baron is my only decent lightning monster, but a singleton element felt like more of a liability than just going blue/red.

I just finished the first three quests in the second town, but the tournament is annihilating me. It seems like I always get hosed -- either the monsters are the worst possible colors, or I get questions of the wrong element, or nothing but Sports, or an insanely hard question at just the wrong time so half my team gets killed, or some combination of the above. So I end up with a final score of 20 while That Same Fucker finishes with 9 again because I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by the ghost of a guy who probably graduated to a harder tournament level a week ago.

It just feels like hitting level 30/40/50 with my main dudes will take forever, even if I feed 8 drops to an evo material and then feed that to my invoked monsters. Am I missing something? Do I grind old quests, or just slam my head against this loving aggravating as gently caress tournament bullshit until I can progress again?

I've got a draft of a Quiz RPG thread written up, I'll be posting it tonight or (more likely) tomorrow morning, it's fairly barebones since we don't know that much yet, but if anyone has any info on the spirits, start collecting it up.

I have found that at least when leveling the lightning starter spirit, he is helpful, and my first pull on starting an account was Sylvia, who is proving to be quite useful as well. She is A level.

Edit: Awful App saved a post I thought I deleted.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 3, 2013

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

I've been lucky with three A pulls then on Quiz RPG, they're all 500-600 ATK at level 10, but only around 250-300 health. It means I can fly through tournaments and quests until I get a question wrong, then half my team dies.

Also I agree, levelling spirits goes really slow!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

No seriously guys, how do you get Baron on your team? Y'all are posting like it's an obvious answer I should already know. Does he autojoin later or something?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Corridor posted:

No seriously guys, how do you get Baron on your team? Y'all are posting like it's an obvious answer I should already know. Does he autojoin later or something?

Pass the first city, if I recall. Then he shows up in your present box.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

We should probably stop making GBS threads up this thread with pad and pad knockoffs so ummmmmm

Lets check app shopper for free games :ducksiren:

Star Wars pinball- http://appshopper.com/games/star-wars-pinball

Warlords classic - http://appshopper.com/games/warlords-classic-hd

Bulletsky 2 - http://appshopper.com/games/bullet-sky-ii

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Holy poo poo, Warlords - I played that on the Amiga until my disk literally stopped working.

Production vectoring will be had :ducksiren:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Bummey posted:

False positives are common as hell. Unless it's a :filez: .ipa (and why would you pirate an app that goes free as often as those loving shark games?) don't worry about it.

While rare (and far more likely a false positive), it's not totally unheard of for malware to make it into an ipa.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Is there a Book of Heroes goon guild? I played it once, long ago, and got about as far as you could before dropping it. Now I'm playing through it again and they've added a ton of pseudo-social things. Seems like there'd be a thread for it, but I couldn't find anything.

It's a really generous energy turn-based RPG with three different classes and just enough strategy to make it fun without being overly complex.

There's a "General" chat with extremely dumb 14 year olds. 13/f/ca is alive and kicking inside of Book of Heroes.

My display name is "dnkles" which I think you can friend me in-game with using the Tavern in the town.

DNK fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 3, 2013

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Warlords is no Warlords 2 (GREETINGS WARLORD), but it's still a good trip down nostalgia lane.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

So the Pixbits guys got back to me and apparently the reason why I've crashed so often on Junk Jack X is an issue connected to the 'keep last slot empty' option that I had turned on.
It's to be corrected in an upcoming patch anyway but it's good to know how to avoid in the meantime.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shwqa posted:

We should probably stop making GBS threads up this thread with pad and pad knockoffs so ummmmmm
Meh, the quiz thing is probably fine, it doesn't seem popular enough to warrant its own thread anyway.

I agree on the PAD chat though, since there is a thread for that.

hoju22
May 3, 2006

Easy. You just don't lead 'em so much.

Are the "EXTREME LUXURY VISUAL EFFECTS!" Worth it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shwqa posted:

Lets check app shopper for free games :ducksiren:

Star Wars pinball- http://appshopper.com/games/star-wars-pinball

Warlords classic - http://appshopper.com/games/warlords-classic-hd

Bulletsky 2 - http://appshopper.com/games/bullet-sky-ii

Warlords is back up to $5, apparently it was only free for a day. :arghfist::(

Doesn't allow save-scumming either which is kind of bullshit because that's half the fun in single player since losing a dozen heroes/wizards/dragons to a couple spearmen in a castle is dumb.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Achtung went free. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPad, and I'm only pretty sure I why I wishlisted it (Goon rec in this thread?), so I can't confirm whether or not it's good.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

Achtung went free. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPad, and I'm only pretty sure I why I wishlisted it (Goon rec in this thread?), so I can't confirm whether or not it's good.

I tried it out, it is decently fun. It is basically the tron bike game. Also it is on iPhone now.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

hoju22 posted:

Are the "EXTREME LUXURY VISUAL EFFECTS!" Worth it?

Honestly no. The game is much worse then I thought. It not more than an endless single level. Every new ship cost premium currency and that very slowly raises.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
:siren: YOU GUYS :siren:

Unmechanical just went free. It's a physics puzzler where you play an adorable little helicopter robot guy. It's pretty good and pretty cute. Giant Bomb did a quick look a while back if you want to see it in action, but you'd be stupid to wait any longer than the time it would take to click this link and download it.

http://appshopper.com/games/unmechanical

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 4, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bummey posted:

:siren: YOU GUYS :siren:

Unmechanical just went free. It's a physics puzzler where you play an adorable little helicopter robot guy. It's pretty good and pretty cute. Giant Bomb did a quick look a while back, if you want to see it in action but you'd be stupid to wait any longer than the time it would take to click this link and download it.

http://appshopper.com/games/unmechanical

Aw yiss, been meaning to get this forever but my backlog's always been too massive to justify buying it.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
:siren:SNEAKY EMULATOR ALERT:siren:

Remote File Manager has a SNES emulator. All you need is a Drop Box or FTP with .smc roms, and you are set. It's a little sparse, but it works.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there an actual reason that everyone is loving obsessed with Candy Crush? It looks like the most generic boring match 3 game ever and I don't even want to bother with it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

NESguerilla posted:

Is there an actual reason that everyone is loving obsessed with Candy Crush? It looks like the most generic boring match 3 game ever and I don't even want to bother with it.

It's a bad game that people can dump money into

Tthat's just app store gold right there

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

NESguerilla posted:

Don't bother. From what I can see it's just a match-3 game where you only get a certain number of tries to beat a level each day. And of course, you can pay a bit extra to get more lives!

It's appealing enough to want to play, and engaging enough to be tempted into spending money for IAP, but intriguing enough to make you want to blast through the entire game in one sitting.

Although a girl at my work figured out that if you wound your iPhone clock 24 hours forward you'd get more lives, and ended up playing for 6 hours :gonk:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's so loving loathsome that people can just pump out garbage games and make millions while good games get shoved into relative obscurity. The App store is the worst marketplace I have ever seen.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
It's just a match 3 game, yes, but it's got a lot of strategy to making special candy pieces that blow up in cool ways, and you can mix two specials to blow up in even cooler ways. That's why I liked it, but eventually I got tired of it taking 5 or 6 tries to beat any level.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gann Jerrod posted:

Remote File Manager has a SNES emulator. All you need is a Drop Box or FTP with .smc roms, and you are set. It's a little sparse, but it works.
This is great! Thanks.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

NESguerilla posted:

It's so loving loathsome that people can just pump out garbage games and make millions while good games get shoved into relative obscurity. The App store is the worst marketplace I have ever seen.
That's only because you're measuring a game's quality based on how much fun it is to play rather than how well it's designed to exploit human nature.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
Finally, a question category that isn't Sports! Come on, History!

"In what year was the Superbowl first played?"

gently caress off.

Unless there's some trick to grinding I haven't figured out (I'm still smashing my trash together to hit level ~12 before feeding it to my mains), I'm done with this game.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Battle Camp is on the EU App Store, too. It seems like a pretty well made one of these games, though I'll give anything for an options screen so I can turn the vibration effects off. Also drat I only now noticed your referral link, guy who posted on the previous page :(

edit: okay found the options, had to tap on my own dude.

My referral code is jwxwrx, help me get a sweet shadow wolf thing

goethe gear xx fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 4, 2013

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

What I really want is a video game that treats me like a heroin addict

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

my lovely cat posted:

What I really want is a video game that treats me like a heroin addict

PAD? It will treat you like you need to suck dick in an alleyway for money to buy heroin for your addiction, but very rarely will it treat you like you're getting your dick sucked for cheap in an alleyway.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Gann Jerrod posted:

It's #4 in Paid apps on iPhone. That's not exactly sneaky.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

opaopa13 posted:

Unless there's some trick to grinding I haven't figured out (I'm still smashing my trash together to hit level ~12 before feeding it to my mains), I'm done with this game.

For anyone who doesnt know, a dude in the Android thread pointed this out. Say you have four slime cards at lvl 1. You feed one to the other. The fed slime is now level 3. You then feed the lvl 3 slime to another lvl 1 slime, which becomes lvl 6. You feed the lvl 6 slime to the remaining lvl 1 slime which is then boosted to max lvl (or close to). If you feed maxed out trash-mons to your better mons, they will gain a bunch of levels. Feeding stuff to stuff of the same colour will give a xp boost too btw. The game is still grindy, tho.

Anyway yeah gently caress sports.

DasHangman
Feb 27, 2011

I'm the captain of the gravy train!
I just picked up Puzzle and Dragons. Is there anything I should know going into it/a beginners guide somewhere?

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
The sheer deviousness of Candy Crush is amazing. I installed it on my phone a week or so ago (did not connect it to facebook), and at its core, the game play is pretty fun. It's basically a Bejeweled puzzle mode with a whole lot of levels. The strategy isn't any more complex than any other match-3, you look for the "Ls" the connect-fours and connect-fives. The sliminess of the game is noticeable pretty quickly though. The 'lives' aren't really the problem, I feel like they refill fast enough that you can play for a poop and when you come back in a short while you'll have full lives again. It's more of the artificial difficutly that the game imposes on you, combined with the way that it pushes the IAP in your face.

Let's say you have a board that you need to clear 20 specific spots on and get your score past a minimum point. The problem comes with the fact that it's a completely random board, so you might need to get matches on the bottom of the board, but your only plays at the top. Oh and you have to complete the level in less than 20 moves. Frequently you'll end up being either one move shy from finishing a level - OH HEY HOW ABOUT FIVE MORE TURNS FOR 99 CENTS?? Every 20 or so levels you'll reach a new area, but to unlock that area you either have to spam your friends, finish three 'quest' missions where once you finish one you have to wait 24 hours to attempt the next quest, or HEY HOW ABOUT UNLOCKING THIS AREA For 99 CENTS??? If you're not paying you're basically stuck playing the levels over and over again until you get just the right starting board or first couple of good drops/specials to clear a level.

As someone who loves Bewjeweled, it's painful to see what they've done to the 'genre'. I bet EA wishes they thought of it years ago though when everyone was playing the crap out of the original Bejeweled.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Warlords is back up to $5, apparently it was only free for a day. :arghfist::(

Doesn't allow save-scumming either which is kind of bullshit because that's half the fun in single player since losing a dozen heroes/wizards/dragons to a couple spearmen in a castle is dumb.
Good thing I picked it up. Surprisingly the interface isn't all that bad on an iPhone. What sucks is there is no save state for when you close the app and the phone pushes the app out of memory. I think you need to go to the main menu to force the game to save your spot. I lost about 30 turns from playing yesterday.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gann Jerrod posted:

If this gets pulled by Apple, is it still downloadable by the "purchased" tabs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DasHangman posted:

I just picked up Puzzle and Dragons. Is there anything I should know going into it/a beginners guide somewhere?

Here

• Locked thread