Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usafmech
Oct 1, 2005
I thought more of Gabriele Dell'otto's work would have been posted here, I think he does amazing work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The one with Howard The Duck and Machine Man is fun, and yeah, the original one is amusing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I remember before the series came out, Kirkman did an interview with Rue Morgue where he brought up what he originally planned for the series. Apparently it was initially plotted as having Luke Cage being in a "Last Man on Earth" scenario, with his skin being zombie teeth proof. Then Kirkman realized tha Cage was already shown zombified in UFF, so had to completely rewrite the story after being given the go-ahead. They also teased us by showing the first couple pages without dialogue, which came off far eerier.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

I remember before the series came out, Kirkman did an interview with Rue Morgue where he brought up what he originally planned for the series. Apparently it was initially plotted as having Luke Cage being in a "Last Man on Earth" scenario, with his skin being zombie teeth proof. Then Kirkman realized tha Cage was already shown zombified in UFF, so had to completely rewrite the story after being given the go-ahead. They also teased us by showing the first couple pages without dialogue, which came off far eerier.

Now I'm thinking about Luke Cage with Vincent Price's voice and it's hilarious.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Check the sweetass art we'll be getting for the next seven months of DC event.

Yeah, Barbara. Work that casual conversation.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I will never understand Finch's status as 'super star' his women while oversexualized are nice to the view but his men are awful. :psyduck:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

]his women while oversexualized are nice to the view
Ummmm?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Well, I was thinking more of things like this:

Since the start of the N52 his art has going to poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Who is inking him?

We already know the house color DC makes their colorists use doesn't help either.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Fallen Rib
The one thing I have hated the most about Finch's art is his faces. Everyone, man and woman, has the same face. It really annoyed my in his Ultimate X-Men run and I can't stand the books he draws because of it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

The one thing I have hated the most about Finch's art is his faces. Everyone, man and woman, has the same face. It really annoyed my in his Ultimate X-Men run and I can't stand the books he draws because of it.

Capullo also suffers from that. I remember a promo that he did of the JL and everyguy had the same face, it was kind of eerie. Actually, a lot of DC artists had the same problem: as much as I like Kirkham, Rocafort and Reis, they seems to have only a few faces on their repertoire.

Codependent Poster posted:

Who is inking him?

We already know the house color DC makes their colorists use doesn't help either.

According to the internet, Richard Friend

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Capullo also suffers from that. I remember a promo that he did of the JL and everyguy had the same face, it was kind of eerie. Actually, a lot of DC artists had the same problem: as much as I like Kirkham, Rocafort and Reis, they seems to have only a few faces on their repertoire.

According to the internet, Richard Friend

I admit that Capullo also does it but the reason I like his style over Fincher any day is because Capullo is a lot more cartoonish. I can accept the flaw in something like a cartoon where every character has the same chine or eyes or whatnot but with Fincher he goes for a more photorealistic style and then it looks like he uses the same model for every character he draws regardless of sex, race, and age.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, I was thinking more of things like this:

Wow, that really is a horrible downturn when you compare that Wonder Woman to the Nightwing/Barbara page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Teenage Fansub posted:

Check the sweetass art we'll be getting for the next seven months of DC event.

Yeah, Barbara. Work that casual conversation.

Look at the tied up guy in the first shot:

What initially drew my eye was how the hell he was supposed to be vertical when he was being carried like that, then I saw it - he's cut and pasted on! Look at how tied up guy's left shoulder doesn't have any outline and was just glued on top of Not-a-Robin's arm.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm curious to know what the other end of Nightwing's rope is attached to. He's swinging over rooftops. Is there a skyscraper in the middle of those smaller buildings? This is an issue that crops up a lot in Spider-Man.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gorilla Salad posted:

What initially drew my eye was how the hell he was supposed to be vertical when he was being carried like that, then I saw it - he's cut and pasted on! Look at how tied up guy's left shoulder doesn't have any outline and was just glued on top of Not-a-Robin's arm.

Now that you bring it up, the entire Not-Robin's arm looks copypasted over the background too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm curious to know what the other end of Nightwing's rope is attached to. He's swinging over rooftops. Is there a skyscraper in the middle of those smaller buildings? This is an issue that crops up a lot in Spider-Man.

The answer for Spider-Man has always been "passing helicopter".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

I've seen a couple of old Batman covers where he and Robin are swinging from the title of the book.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

I've seen a couple of old Batman covers where he and Robin are swinging from the title of the book.
Little known fact about Gotham City: Back in the early to mid 20th Century for their city celebratory anniversary, they put up large displays that contained the word "BATMAN" in bright yellow lights. Seeing these was the true inspiration for Batman. As such, whenever he sees one around the city, he makes sure to swing from it as both a reminder to criminals of his own and the city's origins.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Nightwing loves to swing from buildings like Spider-Man, but how many ropes can he carry? He doesn't have Spider-Man's webshooters. They can't be his main mode of transportation.

Also, Nightwing must have incredibly strong lats if he can hold his arm in that position. This must have been originally a drawing of Nightwing vaulting over a wall or dodging gunfire.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 4, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
While we're dissecting the dumbness of this page, something just occurred to me: Did Nightwing seriously just carry Mr. Zsasz all the way from Chicago to Gotham on foot/rope?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

The answer for Spider-Man has always been "passing helicopter".

In the 60's cartoon his webbing was attached to nothing and its one of the many reasons that series is amazing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The PC version of the Spider-Man 2 game had web icons floating above the middle of the street. You had to aim at them with your mouse. It was pretty bad.

A neat thing about the open-world Spider-Man games is that your weblines would not fire if you were above the skyline. They still seemed to attach to points in thin air.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Which, I'll be honest, I don't really see cut/pasting and digital corrections like that as a problem in comic books if at first glance it's fairly seamless enough. For all the times that a comic slipped through because of a penciler/inker/colorist screw-up that could have been fixed in 5-10 minutes in Photoshop (eyes pointing in wrong directions, disproportionate scaling of items, etc.) I'm still surprised it doesn't show up more.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

The PC version of the Spider-Man 2 game had web icons floating above the middle of the street. You had to aim at them with your mouse. It was pretty bad.

A neat thing about the open-world Spider-Man games is that your weblines would not fire if you were above the skyline. They still seemed to attach to points in thin air.

See, I remember Spider-Man 2 on the console requiring you to websling off of real objects. Bruce Campbell made a big deal out of it at the start of the game. Now, those objects could be skyscrapers, antennas, lampposts, the aforementioned passing helicopter... trees if you were in Central Park. I'm sure the game fudged your aim for you but I don't recall the webline anchoring in thin air, unless it was the sort of thing where the helicopter's hitbox extended between its landing skids, so it looked like the line was dangling a foot below the fuselage. Which, given that it was the original Xbox/PS2, is excusable.

Webslinging in that game was fun as poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Phy posted:

See, I remember Spider-Man 2 on the console requiring you to websling off of real objects. Bruce Campbell made a big deal out of it at the start of the game. Now, those objects could be skyscrapers, antennas, lampposts, the aforementioned passing helicopter... trees if you were in Central Park. I'm sure the game fudged your aim for you but I don't recall the webline anchoring in thin air, unless it was the sort of thing where the helicopter's hitbox extended between its landing skids, so it looked like the line was dangling a foot below the fuselage. Which, given that it was the original Xbox/PS2, is excusable.

Webslinging in that game was fun as poo poo.

Yep, Spider-Man 2: the Movie: the Game: the Colon... was p. loving awesome on Gamecube. I never finished it, because I spent so much time just swinging around NYC (actually about 1/4 the size of real NYC, but still huge) kicking the hell out of bad guys. There were helos to get you out to liberty island, but otherwise, it was swing or fall. There were quite a lot of tricks to get you back into swing territory, or about in lower areas (principally, firing a web out and pulling yourself in). It was definitely the best spidey game ever, probably one of the best superhero games in general.

But, to get to the point, I'm fairly sure bats and co. use retractable grapples rather than lots of individual ropes.

It's still pretty stupid though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked this panel from the last Thanos Rising mini. That is Death he's kissing:unsmigghh:

On the ruins of a dead world

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 5, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MAN, you know what I hate?

This slapped on environmental text in big comic books. Holy poo poo.
Almost every newspaper, book cover and gravestone in comics these days is awful with this.

I'm guessing the job falls to the letterer and it might be unfair delegation for their skill set, but this stuff should be unacceptable and decried by the artists who's work it's slapped upon.

From today's Deadshot villains month issue.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Baron Bifford posted:

Nightwing loves to swing from buildings like Spider-Man, but how many ropes can he carry? He doesn't have Spider-Man's webshooters. They can't be his main mode of transportation.

Also, Nightwing must have incredibly strong lats if he can hold his arm in that position. This must have been originally a drawing of Nightwing vaulting over a wall or dodging gunfire.

When you think about it, a lot of "city" superheroes have a bizarre ability to just toss/shoot out a rope from ground level yet somehow it turns into a bungee cord and pulls them into the air. Just imagine standing in a city street yourself, tossing a hook up to a building, and then trying to swing. You'll immediately slam your butt into the pavement.

Not to mention the strange ability to attach to anything from any angle.

Daredevil, the Bat-family, etc. all do this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zzulu posted:

I liked this panel from the last Thanos Rising mini. That is Death he's kissing:unsmigghh:

Wow, Thanos finally got some action. He looks weird with his eyes closed though. Who did the art? It's lovely.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Zzulu posted:

On the ruins of a dead worlddead tables

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Roboto posted:

When you think about it, a lot of "city" superheroes have a bizarre ability to just toss/shoot out a rope from ground level yet somehow it turns into a bungee cord and pulls them into the air. Just imagine standing in a city street yourself, tossing a hook up to a building, and then trying to swing. You'll immediately slam your butt into the pavement.

Not to mention the strange ability to attach to anything from any angle.

Daredevil, the Bat-family, etc. all do this.

Not sure if you're including Spider-Man, since the webbing and his strength make it all very easy, but don't they get around this by using retractable grapples, ropes, etc.? Never mind the insane tech required to fit inside a slim cane, but doesn't Daredevil's billy club fire out a line and also winch him in?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mister Roboto posted:

In Spider-man 2, Spidey always takes a bit of a jump before firing a web-line, and he fires it at an angle to give himself momentum to swing (instead of shooting straight up), and even then you can end up skidding along the asphalt if you're too low. His swinging is also affected by where he attaches his web-line in relation to where he is. If you want to swing higher, you have to shoot when you're at the apex of your previous swing, you don't just magically get pulled up higher. The only part where the game cheats is that instead of slamming hilariously into walls like in the first movie, Spidey automatically kicks and pushes at walls to keep himself mobile.

I have no idea why they keep making Spider-man games that aren't just Spider-man 2 with better combat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I have no idea why they keep making Spider-man games that aren't just Spider-man 2 with better combat.

Because Activision has the license and they just keep pumping out the cheapest, fastest poo poo possible. The last SM game was probably the best since like Web of Shadows, but I still thought it was pretty shallow and rotten for the most part. Beenox just isn't a good developer.

They do have more time to work on the next movie game (since one isn't coming out this year), so I hope it improves. But seriously the industry-wide squandering of a gameplay concept as good and as fun as the one from Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest tragedies in gaming.

There's a Kickstarted game by one of the SM2 developers called Energy Hook that looks fun, but I don't know its current status.

Edit: Haha, sorry, this totally isn't the games thread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Wow, Thanos finally got some action. He looks weird with his eyes closed though. Who did the art? It's lovely.

Simone Bianche

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lurdiak posted:

In Spider-man 2, Spidey always takes a bit of a jump before firing a web-line, and he fires it at an angle to give himself momentum to swing (instead of shooting straight up), and even then you can end up skidding along the asphalt if you're too low. His swinging is also affected by where he attaches his web-line in relation to where he is. If you want to swing higher, you have to shoot when you're at the apex of your previous swing, you don't just magically get pulled up higher. The only part where the game cheats is that instead of slamming hilariously into walls like in the first movie, Spidey automatically kicks and pushes at walls to keep himself mobile.

Huh. I remeber some comic where Wolverine and Spider-Man switched bodies went into this a little bit. Wolvy tried web-swinging. Didn't end well because he wasn't keeping momentum. I'm sure it's been addressed at other times as well.

quote:

I liked this panel from the last Thanos Rising mini. That is Death he's kissing

Death is wearing the body of....Moondragon, I think? Why?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not going to post Liefeld, but I do have a question about him. His first work in comics was on Hawk and Dove for DC about twenty-five years ago. I know that Karl Kesel ended up drawing the hands on feet on the characters, but was it a case that he redrew them over Liefeld's pencils, or did Liefeld seriously submit the art without hands or feet and Kesel had to complete them for him (because I've heard that as well)?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm not going to post Liefeld, but I do have a question about him. His first work in comics was on Hawk and Dove for DC about twenty-five years ago. I know that Karl Kesel ended up drawing the hands on feet on the characters, but was it a case that he redrew them over Liefeld's pencils, or did Liefeld seriously submit the art without hands or feet and Kesel had to complete them for him (because I've heard that as well)?

According to this, he submitted art with handless/footless characters:

quote:

On Hawk and Dove, as Rob Liefeld was getting later on his deadlines, he increasingly began to send in his characters without their hands and their feet, with inker Karl Kesel being forced to draw them in for Liefeld.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Bloodly posted:

Death is wearing the body of....Moondragon, I think? Why?

It was just a generic appearance. She revealed the real her earlier (Thanos didn't know she was Death until this moment);:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
"Idiot boy" sounds kind of juvenile for an immortal personification.