Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

There was absolutely nothing legitimate broken. This broke a backdoor. They closed a security exploit. Those are precisely the types of updates that need to be installed without notification simply for security purposes.

I was speaking in general terms, not specifically in this instance. Im sure I am not the only one who manually updated an app on my iphone only to have it not work until the dev can identify, fix and resubmit the app for approval.

I hope you're not an administrator of computer systems, because your logic would lead to frequent and often costly issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Plex is also a million times better of an interface than iTunes. Using itunes to play media is loving annoying because there's no scrapers to pull show data, so everytime you rip a dvd you have to go into itunes, tell it they're TV Shows, label the series, go into individual episodes place in the episode name and season. Whereas plex can just automagically detect the tv show and episode from handbrake conversion and nicely organizes it with all that information and also episode summaries.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Laserface posted:

I was speaking in general terms, not specifically in this instance. Im sure I am not the only one who manually updated an app on my iphone only to have it not work until the dev can identify, fix and resubmit the app for approval.

I hope you're not an administrator of computer systems, because your logic would lead to frequent and often costly issues.

There's quite a big difference between administering servers and workstations vs an essentially embedded device. This isn't like microsoft releasing updates that need to be tested before they can go live. This was 1. adding channels and 2. closing a loophole.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Does anyone else's Screensaver setting change to 'Never' on a regular basis? I'm not sure if this is a byproduct of jailbreaking or what.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This hasn't been reported by any tech sites: http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/apple-receives-40-metric-tons-of-set-top-shipments-ahead-of-sept-10-event-1200598496/

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'll believe it when I hear to from Tim Cook's mouth. The Apple TV set wouldn't get a spot in a product launch that's going to be dedicated to mostly iPhones.

If anything, any new Apple set top would be announced alongside new iPads since the aTV goes so well with an iPad.

Or it could get its own announcement in November to stagger the product launches.

Or it could just be a new cinema display that matches the new iMacs they launched last year.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

It's been on some of the mac news sites. It was on Mac Rumors the other day. The shipments were labeled "set top boxes" and "set top boxes with communication", which apparently is what they were labeled when the last aTV update shipped in from China.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's quite a big difference between administering servers and workstations vs an essentially embedded device. This isn't like microsoft releasing updates that need to be tested before they can go live. This was 1. adding channels and 2. closing a loophole.

That doesn't change the fact that it's arbitrarily modifying a consumer-owned device without their explicit authorization. For example, given the option, I'd still have my ATV on the old horizontal scrolling interface with the dropdown menus. I just liked how it looked better than the new interface. There's no technical reason that it needed to be changed, and they could easily still offer it. (Slightly different situation, because I did explicitly do that upgrade myself, but still.) It's just like if a user chooses not to upgrade their iPhone. Same company and everything. Yes, your experience might be crippled in some ways, but there are people who are comfortable with their experience being exactly how it is and don't want an upgrade. We're not renting these devices from Apple. We buy them. If we don't want to update them, for any reason, be it an exploit or not, that is our prerogative, and it shouldn't be responsibility of an unseen force which we have no input into to determine if we "should" have the upgrade and force it on us.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

That doesn't change the fact that it's arbitrarily modifying a consumer-owned device without their explicit authorization. For example, given the option, I'd still have my ATV on the old horizontal scrolling interface with the dropdown menus. I just liked how it looked better than the new interface. There's no technical reason that it needed to be changed, and they could easily still offer it. (Slightly different situation, because I did explicitly do that upgrade myself, but still.) It's just like if a user chooses not to upgrade their iPhone. Same company and everything. Yes, your experience might be crippled in some ways, but there are people who are comfortable with their experience being exactly how it is and don't want an upgrade. We're not renting these devices from Apple. We buy them. If we don't want to update them, for any reason, be it an exploit or not, that is our prerogative, and it shouldn't be responsibility of an unseen force which we have no input into to determine if we "should" have the upgrade and force it on us.

upset_Apple_users.txt

But seriously, this is Apple's MO. And has been mentioned already, what kicked this off was Apple updating an exploit in their software. I could see someone coming from a different angle and arguing just as fervently that silent updates to fix exploits are necessary and good because it leads to less headaches and provides a better overall service and consumer experience.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Thwomp posted:

upset_Apple_users.txt

But seriously, this is Apple's MO. And has been mentioned already, what kicked this off was Apple updating an exploit in their software. I could see someone coming from a different angle and arguing just as fervently that silent updates to fix exploits are necessary and good because it leads to less headaches and provides a better overall service and consumer experience.

The only people affected by the exploit were the people actively choosing to use it. It doesn't have any impact on the experience of any consumers not using it. The only way to perform the exploit was a man-in-the-middle attack. Outside of a home network, it would require DNS/ARP poisoning on an infrastructure level. Apple could have easily offered the update with a confirmation option to let users do it themselves (and notify people of the fact that there's a new channel available, so users could direct themselves to it to watch), just like they do on their other hardware. It's hard to argue that it's their MO when they have other equipment running the same core OS that requires user confirmation to upgrade, and which has an explicit option to disable auto-updates.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's a direct threat to their business model. And since they can do silent updates on aTVs (which they can't do for their other hardware), of course they were going to patch it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys, guys... the bigger question here is... why after a couple days, practically like clockwork, do I have to reboot my Mac and redo the Sudo terminal command to restart the plex connect junk.

I'll come home, turn on my ATV, and it can't connect. I fix it by rebooting the Mac and redoing the Terminal commands, and it's good for like 2-3 days or so, and then it needs that again.

Very peculiar!

Also, aside from the very obvious and unsexy things such as DTS and 5.1 what exactly can a new ATV even deign to provide? Gaming and Controller support seems mostly to be a software-side implementation, nay? I mean, ATV3 already has bluetooth support, etc...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Also, aside from the very obvious and unsexy things such as DTS and 5.1 what exactly can a new ATV even deign to provide? Gaming and Controller support seems mostly to be a software-side implementation, nay? I mean, ATV3 already has bluetooth support, etc...

Any new aTV is going to be an Apple TV (not aTV) and be an actual TV set. It'll also be launched in conjunction with a new iTunes TV store that'll offer channels, channel packages, and apps for your TV. Not only will you be able to finally get your TV a la carte (or close to it), but it'll also offer gaming through the TV app store and playable with remotes/iphones/ipads.

This would all be in addition to what the current aTV does (hook up to your iTunes libraries, buy/rent movies, etc).

It's never going to happen though. :smith:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

Any new aTV is going to be an Apple TV (not aTV) and be an actual TV set. It'll also be launched in conjunction with a new iTunes TV store that'll offer channels, channel packages, and apps for your TV. Not only will you be able to finally get your TV a la carte (or close to it), but it'll also offer gaming through the TV app store and playable with remotes/iphones/ipads.

This would all be in addition to what the current aTV does (hook up to your iTunes libraries, buy/rent movies, etc).

It's never going to happen though. :smith:

They just got 40 Metric tons of "Set top boxes" from China, right before a Keynote/iPhone event. This isn't just restock of current supply. It's more than likely more aTVs and I'm wondering what is different about them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

They just got 40 Metric tons of "Set top boxes" from China, right before a Keynote/iPhone event. This isn't just restock of current supply. It's more than likely more aTVs and I'm wondering what is different about them.

The biggest area the Apple TV could be improved is with an app/channel store, as has been discussed multiple times. If they do this though, I think they'll need two things: more storage and a better input device. I have no idea what that input device would be, but the current remote won't really be any good for anything but the type of video channels that the thing has now. If there is going to be a new Apple TV, that's what I think could be different about it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Probably a minor spec bump. Maybe some storage for apps?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

The last shipment of aTVs, from that article, came with their model number on the manifest. Nothing so far on this newest shipment.

Quick math probably prevents it from being actual TV sets (typical TV weight maybe around 45-50 pounds so 40 metric tons would only yield 1000-1500 sets).

If it's a console/set top box like an Xbox mixed with a cable box, that'd yield 12000 units.

Who knows?

Edit:

Diabolik900 posted:

I have no idea what that input device would be, but the current remote won't really be any good for anything

Siri.

For real. Combined with a recommendation service (or a TV Genius) to easily provide other shows you might like, Siri could work out just fine as a TV control (in conjunction with the current aTV remote). They're already rolling out a new version of it with iOS7.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 5, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

The biggest area the Apple TV could be improved is with an app/channel store, as has been discussed multiple times. If they do this though, I think they'll need two things: more storage and a better input device. I have no idea what that input device would be, but the current remote won't really be any good for anything but the type of video channels that the thing has now. If there is going to be a new Apple TV, that's what I think could be different about it.
Apple already sells several different models of excellent input devices for it that could be tailored for specific uses, if they desired;

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Siri.

For real. Combined with a recommendation service (or a TV Genius) to easily provide other shows you might like, Siri could work out just fine as a TV control (in conjunction with the current aTV remote).

Ehh, maybe. It depends what kind of apps Apple wants to push for it (if they're actually planning to go that route at all). I can see that maybe working well for things like TV and movies, but I think the current remote is mostly ok for that anyway.

Where they really need something new is if they want people to make games for it (which is admittedly a big if). iOS 7's third-party controller support could be a clue, but I think Apple would need to bundle their own controller with the box if they want any serious adoption. That seems pretty un-Apple-like though.

Endless Mike posted:

Apple already sells several different models of excellent input devices for it that could be tailored for specific uses, if they desired;

I really think that the Apple TV needs to be able to work effectively with just what comes in the box. Using an iOS device as a remote is nice to have as an option, but I don't think making it a requirement is a good idea. Plus, what's the point of having TV apps if you need to take your eyes off the TV to use them?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

Edit:

Siri.

For real. Combined with a recommendation service (or a TV Genius) to easily provide other shows you might like, Siri could work out just fine as a TV control (in conjunction with the current aTV remote). They're already rolling out a new version of it with iOS7.

holy poo poo. WOULD BUY.

Think about it.

"Siri..."

*TV screen turns into a voice wave module almost reminiscent of a mouth*

"Yes Feenix?"

"Please tell me, of the 8 billion streaming video services I have on here, where I might find "Downton Abbey Season 3?"

"One Moment... Feenix, you can find that on Amazon Video Player. Would you like to go there now?"

"Make it so!"

*eats cheetos with glib satisfaction.*

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Exactly.

Microsoft is already going this way with their Kinect (always on, always listening for commands, or at least they were).

You can do away with the whole channel grid for browsing live tv.

Siri.

"Yes?"

What's on NBC tonight?
When is the next new Amazing Race on?
Can you record all future new episodes of Hannibal?
Is Law and Order on right now? (of course)
Turn on Food Network.
Where can I stream Battlestar Galactica from?

And a new controller only has to do three things: 1) Everything the current control can do (easy), 2) listen for Siri commands (possibly optional), and 3) work as a game controller (moderately difficult, maybe a GBA/2DS design?).

Also, does Siri respond in the affirmative if you respond "Make it so"?

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 5, 2013

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Call me weird, but I don't want to be yelling at my TV for it to do things, so a Siri powered Apple TV would not appeal to me one bit, just like the Xbox One and Kinect.

Also, Siri is iffy enough when you're talking directly into the mic, so I can't imagine it'd be great across a couple of feet without a perfectly positioned mic, which would mean the aTV wouldn't be one little neat box anymore, but a box+wired mic to place under/over the TV, and that doesn't seem very Apple-ish.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
They could put the mic in the remote, and make you push a button to activate it.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

They could put the mic in the remote, and make you push a button to activate it.

I guess, but then you'd have to replace the battery often or remember to charge it, it's more potentially breakable parts in the remote, plus it'd make replacements pricier if it got broken. I'm not sure those things are worth the debatable convenience of TV Siri.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would be happy if I could search for a movie and have it tell me which of the streaming and/or rental services it is available on. Kind of like canistream.it, but built in.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Feenix posted:

HDMI-CEC support would be nice. I mean, it's not like it's a huge burden for me to walk over and turn my receiver on after turning on AirPlay, but it is kind of annoying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

Also, does Siri respond in the affirmative if you respond "Make it so"?

AHAHAHA, I was being goony, but I just tried it and Siri TOTALLY DOES!

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would be happy if I could search for a movie and have it tell me which of the streaming and/or rental services it is available on. Kind of like canistream.it, but built in.

I just bought one of the new TiVo Roamios and it does that. Very handy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Feenix posted:

*eats cheetos with glib satisfaction.*

No more cheetos dust on the remote? instant buy!! :dance:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They bought a company a while back that does that kind of thing. Whether they use the talent or software to keep doing that kind of thing or something else entirely, who knows.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

So MG Siegler says there's going to be new aTV hardware next month, and it isn't a TV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Magic Mango posted:

So MG Siegler says there's going to be new aTV hardware next month, and it isn't a TV.

Who is MG Siegler and why should I believe him?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Who is MG Siegler and why should I believe him?

Think John Gruber but even douchier. He used to write about Apple for Techcrunch. He has very strong connections within Apple, and if he stated something like that as a fact (not a guess or prediction) you can be pretty sure it's based on information from sources within Apple.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

The one rumor I've seen around it seems implausible. They're suggesting Apple is going to release an update to the hardware with 4k output. Seems a bit early to be going after that market with "hobby" product.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Honestly it's probably the same guts as the 4th gen except with a little bit more onboard storage for expanded apps.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, bigger internal storage, standalone apps, and will essentially be Apple's entry into the home console market.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I'd love for that to be the case, but I'm weary. They've been sitting on their hands for so long on the whole app thing I'll file that under "believe it when I see it".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

housefly posted:

I'd love for that to be the case, but I'm weary. They've been sitting on their hands for so long on the whole app thing I'll file that under "believe it when I see it".
Yeah for now they seem content with more built in content partner apps, or stuff through AirPlay from the many millions more iDevices sold out there (and if you want games, AirPlay+iOS 7 Bluetooth controller support! ...just ignore the lag). An App Store seems like an eventuality but I'm not gonna bother trying to predict when it'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

housefly posted:

I never believed any of the rumours. It'd be nice if the ATV gets apps/app store but I'll worry about it when/if it turns up.

• Locked thread