Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is starting to give me a headache. I installed the clan quest mod, added the separate instillation of the Histories mod because the Clan installer didn't play nice, added the Widescreen fix, and now the game still doesn't want to run. I've reinstalled, messed with directories, and done everything I could find.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2025035

I followed the instructions in that thread to the letter and I'm still getting error where Steam is failing to load. The only alternative I have left is going to involve mucking around in system files and changing paths and I'm just not going to put up with the headache that will involve.

Is there anything left for me to do at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The Vampire setting seems super cool (in a nerdy way), but none of my friends are into pen and paper games and I'm super dubious about seeking out an existing Vampire group, for obvious reasons. If I just want to immerse myself in all of the nifty mythology and history of the setting, which books should I read? Is everything just sourcebook type stuff, or do they have novels that tie in as well?

It's the older World of Darkness stuff and take place immediately before the Gehenna books (which I read... every single one of them for every single Clan). The Thin Bloods are a minor plot point and you meet a few of them.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The Vampire setting seems super cool (in a nerdy way), but none of my friends are into pen and paper games and I'm super dubious about seeking out an existing Vampire group, for obvious reasons. If I just want to immerse myself in all of the nifty mythology and history of the setting, which books should I read? Is everything just sourcebook type stuff, or do they have novels that tie in as well?

They had a 13-book series of Clan Novels, which have been helpfully compiled online - in chronological order, no less, as it was ordered by clan. I only read it compiled together, but book-by-book sounds like a nightmare. Less of an investment would be the first part of that, The Fall of Atlanta.

There's also the Gehenna novel, starring mostly Beckett! Even including a passing reference to LaCroix, I believe. This all takes place after the Clan Novels, however, so keep that in mind. Still, it deals with, well... Gehenna! I really enjoyed this one - I'm still sad my hard copy has water damage. :(

WW released a metric assload of novels for Masquerade... I also read the Lasombra trilogy (different from the clan novels, geeze), which was good. Particularly in that it touched on what it was like to join a Path, which I found fascinating.

Being that we now live in the future, I think all the novels are available as PDFs on DriveThru, and maybe you can find other ebook formats elsewhere. They also did a trilogy for Requiem, which I loved. Except for the second book, that was trash.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I ended up reading one of the sourcebooks and to be honest i got more out of VtMB than i did out of it, new more detailed content was nice and all but the way its presented in the book could grate a little.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

morcant posted:

They had a 13-book series of Clan Novels, which have been helpfully compiled online - in chronological order, no less, as it was ordered by clan. I only read it compiled together, but book-by-book sounds like a nightmare. Less of an investment would be the first part of that, The Fall of Atlanta.

There's also the Gehenna novel, starring mostly Beckett! Even including a passing reference to LaCroix, I believe. This all takes place after the Clan Novels, however, so keep that in mind. Still, it deals with, well... Gehenna! I really enjoyed this one - I'm still sad my hard copy has water damage. :(

WW released a metric assload of novels for Masquerade... I also read the Lasombra trilogy (different from the clan novels, geeze), which was good. Particularly in that it touched on what it was like to join a Path, which I found fascinating.

Being that we now live in the future, I think all the novels are available as PDFs on DriveThru, and maybe you can find other ebook formats elsewhere. They also did a trilogy for Requiem, which I loved. Except for the second book, that was trash.

Oh crap. It was the Clan Novels I read. It was along time ago so I got them mixed up with Gehenna novel. Yeah. Read them all. I bought them from White Wolf's website. There was a bug that let me get them for 75% instead of the listed 25% off off so I bought the whole lot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Last time I did that and I just got"Inventory full dropping on ground"

Me too. I have no idea how to give yourself money in this game.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

There are different endings, but you already got the best one (let LaCroix blow himself up and give Nines the finger on the way out of town).

IIRC, there are...3 more endings than the 2 you described, although 1 of them is a close variant to 1 of the ones you've seen.

Thanks. My main problem with the ending I got was that it was so short compared to the length of the game, the payoff didn't seem sufficient. It was great to see LaCroix get his after being such a tool, but it would have been cool if they had shown more of the aftermath of that explosion, the repercussions it had. Also finding out your sire would have been interesting. I guess they couldn't have had your sire be a known NPC given how the clans work and you being able to pick your clan.

Accordion Man posted:

I liked the ending because it was anti-climatic. There was no ancient vampire god, aside from Cain perhaps, just Jack playing everyone for fools. It fit the theme of there being nothing special about you and that you're just being a lowly pawn in the grand scheme of things, which is like the polar opposite of most RPG plots.

The whole "what's in the sarcophagus" thing did lend itself to an anti-climatic ending. Like all of those "what's in this safe? threads :). Even if it had been an elder vampire that destroyed the world I bet it would have looked cheesy, the cutscenes in this game didn't age well.

morcant posted:

I also never knew that LaCroix would Dominate you to go do things if you refused, because I always was super nice to his face so I could get that convenient as hell downtown apartment.

I found this out through saving/reloading often and taking alternate conversation paths for important conversations, ultimately I did take the "be nice to him to his face" path like you did. It does make you hate him that much more. It was an interesting solution to the problem of how RPGs have to railroad you at times if they're trying to tell a certain story.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LordLeckie posted:

I ended up reading one of the sourcebooks and to be honest i got more out of VtMB than i did out of it, new more detailed content was nice and all but the way its presented in the book could grate a little.

The fiction in the sourcebooks is genuinely awful and presented in impossible to read text and I have no idea why WW never learned their lesson on that.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

null posted:

Also finding out your sire would have been interesting. I guess they couldn't have had your sire be a known NPC given how the clans work and you being able to pick your clan.
I'm not really sure what you mean by that. You see him/her die, like, three minutes in to the game, and that's about that. Are you really that curious about their life before the game?

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Accordion Man posted:

I liked the ending because it was anti-climatic. There was no ancient vampire god, aside from Cain perhaps, just Jack playing everyone for fools. It fit the theme of there being nothing special about you and that you're just being a lowly pawn in the grand scheme of things, which is like the polar opposite of most RPG plots.
The ending was pretty good, my only problem with it was that it was pretty heavily telegraphed inasmuch as the game is really tongue-in-cheek. It was still a good payoff, but you could see it coming a mile away.

"Hey, we've got this huge Chekhov's gun hanging on the wall. Everything in the main plot revolves around it! Wonder what's gonna happen when the fucker finally goes off?!!?"

(It's going to be a little flag that says 'Bang!')

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Crotch posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. You see him/her die, like, three minutes in to the game, and that's about that. Are you really that curious about their life before the game?

Oh, I totally forgot about that. I started playing the game in early July and had been playing off and on, I don't remember the beginning in detail. I was just trying to think of stuff to flesh out the ending.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The link to the Wesp patch in the OP is broken. If this is my first time, is running Camarilla as a replacement that bad?

e: nvm, new link here http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 27, 2013

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Every now and then I end up coming back to this game and playing it religiously, usually as a Malkavian (dat Obfuscate + Dementation). Even so, I never thought to look for mods, and only ever played it with Wesp's patches, besides my first ever playthrough which was completely vanilla. My only problem has always been that I feel averse to playing other races/ choosing different character builds besides slight variations due to how much fun I have with the Malk. Does anybody else get that? I always end up ditching a non-malk save after the first couple of non-tutorial missions and going back to a Malkavian. :shrug:

I suppose I enjoy talking to traffic lights too much.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You could always try CheatEngine.

- Launch it, then the game and load your save.
- Note your current balance, alt-tab.
- Open Process > Choose the game .exe.
- Enter the balance under Value, click First Scan.
- If more than one address shows up (likely), spend some money, then enter the new balance and click Next Scan. Do this until you have only one address.
- Right-click > Add Selected Address to the Address List.
- Right-click on that > Change Record > Value > Enter new balance.
- Enjoy your newfound wealth.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Money is odd in this game. Some playthroughs I'm the undead Rockerfeller and others I'm barely scraping by the whole time.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Money is odd in this game. Some playthroughs I'm the undead Rockerfeller and others I'm barely scraping by the whole time.

I found it depends on whether you're using guns or not. Ammo is the only money sink unless you're some kind of weirdo who buys blood bags.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It is generally the best way of quick healing during some of the annoying fights, like Bishop Vick.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You have to go to the club and be in the room with Jeanette or Therese and open the console and type "money X" x being the number you want.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Updated the OP to fix a bunch of glaring spelling errors and make it more readable, plus fix the broken link to the fanpatch. It's now a third party page, but whatever, it has the files you need. Second post still needs tweaking, I haven't actually tried the Camarilla mod since 1.4 but I will probably do a runthrough in the next few weeks and tweak things unless someone wants to do it for me and be awesome.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Last night I did the Night At The Library quest. I didn't recognize it so I thought it was just some content I had missed, as I've been finding little bits of that on my last two playthroughs.

Turns out it's absolutely awful and why the gently caress did they think it was a good inclusion to the patch?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Last night I did the Night At The Library quest. I didn't recognize it so I thought it was just some content I had missed, as I've been finding little bits of that on my last two playthroughs.

Turns out it's absolutely awful and why the gently caress did they think it was a good inclusion to the patch?

What's wrong with it? I haven't played it so I don't know. I did help with the level a little bit, mostly with some minor props.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I assume it was mostly a, "We now have level editing abilities so let's try them out!" but it was kind of neat that was quickly ruined.

It started off alright, a sewer entrance, sneaking around, sure. The level library part of the level isn't all that poorly designed, although it's large and barren in contrast to Troika's, which is easily attributed to fans making it. It has a neat little puzzle and that's fine, but then when you get into a certain point, it has a stupidly designed underground area and a fight that neither makes sense, nor is fun. It would have been a prime opportunity for some neat storytelling or just some fan service in-jokes, but instead it turned into a horrible fight that sapped any fun and momentum I was having with the game out, equivalent to the entire old sewers section. It has some terrible voice acting which isn't really a valid complaint because it was fan made and that's what you'd expect.

Part of me is just sperging out that it was SO out of place that it just oozed "HEY MAN I PUT THIS IN HERE WHAT DO YOU THINK ISN'T IT AWESOME!?" but for the most part, it was just a needless and unfun addition.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Not really directly related to this game, but hey, VAMPIRES!

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/legacy-kain-pack/

Legacy of Kain Pack is on sale this weekend for $5.24 USD. That's barely over 5 bucks for Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, and Defiance. All great games, well worth the money. Read a synopsis of Blood Omen 1 before you start, and play them in the order listed above, you won't regret it. If you can get your hands on BO1, even better... it's actually a drat fun game, and really scratches that old school Zelda itch.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Fuzz posted:

Not really directly related to this game, but hey, VAMPIRES!

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/legacy-kain-pack/

Legacy of Kain Pack is on sale this weekend for $5.24 USD. That's barely over 5 bucks for Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, and Defiance. All great games, well worth the money. Read a synopsis of Blood Omen 1 before you start, and play them in the order listed above, you won't regret it. If you can get your hands on BO1, even better... it's actually a drat fun game, and really scratches that old school Zelda itch.

Seconding this recommendation. The Legacy of Kain games, with one exception, have a consistent tone, some interesting elements, great voice acting, and intriguing characters.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

LoK was my introduction to vampire fiction and gothic horror. The story is amazing, the voicework is superub, and the world is richly detailed and interesting. $5.24 is a steal and a half.

The last one in the series, Defiance, gets a little repetitive as far as combat goes, but the story makes it worth it. I admit I've never played Blood Omen 2, but I've never seen it included in any package ever, and I hear it's not that great anyways.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Counterpoint - I've only tried to play one of them, but Soul Reaver 2 is one of the worst PC ports of all time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm really dissapointed with the Malkavian quest in Clan Quest...

The parts where your dude is a bit of a lunatic where he's talking to a stop sign or whatever are funny because they're rather odd, one-time occurences. I can't imagine why having them be the crux of the new mission (at least the part I got up to) seems rather pedestrian, especially when they could have done something far better.

Plus now I've got to go find a tire in Chinatown which is an exact ripoff of a movie plot :rolleyes:

e: Oh, turns out this isn't the main quest, just something extra. Still rather lame, though.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 13, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Ddraig posted:

Still rather lame, though.

The crux of most fan-made content for games.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Plus now I've got to go find a tire in Chinatown which is an exact ripoff of a movie plot :rolleyes:
What movie?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Adventures in Babysitting, perhaps, although I wouldn't call it "exact."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_in_Babysitting

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Rubber

A psychokinetic tire that makes people's heads explode.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That movie was disappointing, and I LOVE theater of the absurd. :(

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So what all is different between wesp's plus patch and his regular patch?

It would be impossible to tell by looking at the patch changelogs, since he has literally put out more than 75 versions of his patch and each one has a dozen or more changes. For the first several years after the game came out, I refused to use any of his patches, since they were all actually mods and since he is an obsessed wacko who continously messes with the game to try to get it to meet his own idea of what it should be. But now that he's separated them out into the regular patch and the plus patch, I use his regular patch when I play.

But I'm curious what his version of the game has become by now. What I've gathered is that he's gone through the game files and attempted to find a place in the game for every sound and image file which wasn't being used.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Orange Sunshine posted:

So what all is different between wesp's plus patch and his regular patch?

It would be impossible to tell by looking at the patch changelogs, since he has literally put out more than 75 versions of his patch and each one has a dozen or more changes. For the first several years after the game came out, I refused to use any of his patches, since they were all actually mods and since he is an obsessed wacko who continously messes with the game to try to get it to meet his own idea of what it should be. But now that he's separated them out into the regular patch and the plus patch, I use his regular patch when I play.

But I'm curious what his version of the game has become by now. What I've gathered is that he's gone through the game files and attempted to find a place in the game for every sound and image file which wasn't being used.

From what I understand the regular patch tries not to actually change the game very much. Just mostly fixing bugs and making things work that didn't. The Plus patch basically re-adds removed content that's in the files and moves some things in the world to "make more sense" or some such thing. Basically, don't get the plus patch if you want the game to be as close to how it should be from release, but still want all of the bug fixes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The non-patch just bugfixes things- imagine if the original release had been polished and not buggy or crashy.

The plus patch restores all the stuff Troika never had time to finish implementing due to their sad demise- Histories, some plot stuff. It also makes some minor changes like moving Fat Larry and his truck to an alley instead of right next to a cop, for example.

Unless you've got a specific reason not to, I strongly suggest the plus patch. The bugfix version isn't like a more pure implementation of the developer's intent or anything like that. It's just bugfixes for what they managed to push out the door without some stuff they wanted to include.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, the plus patch is pretty good. Didn't really mess with anything in a bad way. Of course, this is Bloodlines we're talking about here. 'Bad' is relative.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
As a person that has played and completed this game from 1.0 to the plus patch, I highly recommend the plus patch.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Romeo Charlie posted:

As a person that has played and completed this game from 1.0 to the plus patch, I highly recommend the plus patch.

And as the same kind of person I wouldn't.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Romeo Charlie posted:

I would too, if only for Fat Larry's truck being in the correct place and the Tal'me'Rah sword being in a more logical place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Are there any new content mods that are worth it? I've been looking for an excuse to replay this game. I've already beaten it like 4 times though.

• Locked thread