Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Some modder should add a Flash costume to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Baron Bifford posted:

Some modder should add a Flash costume to the game.

gently caress that, I need a cape for my Rollins.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

grancheater posted:

White House flags at half-mast following nationwide closure of Freckle Bitch's fast food franchise.

Those monsters. That should have been a day of mourning, not just flags at half-mast.

Who knows what managed to calm the Boss down from declaring war on whomever chose to close down Freckle Bitches.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Well, at least there's one upside now- now that they have a time machine, they can go there whenever they want. :unsmith:

MrTpug
Feb 16, 2011

I was very very pleased when I started a playthrough in my Judge Dredd costume that even in the 1950s town they left his helmet on....perfect

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there any way to log out of a community account within SR4 so I can login to another one?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PantsBandit posted:

Is there any way to log out of a community account within SR4 so I can login to another one?

If you click on the "Community" button when you're logged in, it will ask you if you want to log out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My second runthrough has me noticing amazing things like how Matt interrupted his naked, unarmed escape through Zinyak's ship so he could hack the doors to display the Decker logo.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Glam Slam may be gone and it's not the same but I'm kind of partial to this twisty new takedown animation:

:pwn:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So it turns out I completed this game twice before I realised my Logitech keyboard wasn't capable of holding Shift+Space+W simultaneously, after thoroughly cocking up the Blazing tutorial despite thinking I really ought to be decent at it by now

Thank god for spare thumb buttons, now to learn how to jump all over again...

e: holy poo poo

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 5, 2013

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Was looking at the wiki for SR1, noticed that Michael Clark Duncan did the VA for Ben King :smith: Crews did a good job though.

just started up another playthrough, I love how in the beginning when Kinzie tells you to "just be you" if you pick Nolan North he says "be Nolan?"

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 5, 2013

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

prefect posted:

If you click on the "Community" button when you're logged in, it will ask you if you want to log out.

Unfortunately I can log out but it demands I log back in to the same profile. It won't let me change the login name at all. Really starting to piss me off that their site is hosed up and wont let me log in and I can't even use a different profile in the game.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

deadly_pudding posted:

I was way psyched about the DLC dubstep gun until I found out it counted as a totally separate gun :catstare:

That thing is amazing. I will say this about Volition: they have gotten really good at making ludicrously flashy weapon effects. If they take this knowledge and use it to make their next game about being a wizard, I will not complain.

Honestly? I want a full blown superhero game in this engine now.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

CJacobs posted:

Something weird someone else noticed recently that I figured I'd share here. If you go to this location on the map:

And you stand in this general area:

You will hear some seriously weird poo poo. Like, yelling and torture and weird violent screams. If any of you remember that one house where you can hear the spouse abuse and chainsaw stuff in GTA: San Andreas, it's kinda like that! People have also been posting about weird stuff like pedestrians attacking them for no real reason while they're in the vicinity (like in my screenshot above!) but I don't know if that's a thing that normally happens everywhere or not.

Apparently it was there in SR3, too, but I don't have it installed right now so I can't check.

A bit old, but I'm guessing we'll revisit this in Enter the Dominatrix.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

So I lost my dildo bat during that patch bug thing, is there a way to get a new one? I checked the cave where a wiki said is where you originally find it, but it wasn't there. I need to whack people a glowing blue dick, the tentacle bat isn't nearly as satisfying.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

BrainToad posted:

So I lost my dildo bat during that patch bug thing, is there a way to get a new one? I checked the cave where a wiki said is where you originally find it, but it wasn't there. I need to whack people a glowing blue dick, the tentacle bat isn't nearly as satisfying.
Are you sure you checked the right cave? There's two caves on that island. If the one you found had a fire barrel and some blow-up dolls in it, that was the wrong one.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BrainToad posted:

I need to whack people a glowing blue dick

I loving love this game, you guys :allears:

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Are you sure you checked the right cave? There's two caves on that island. If the one you found had a fire barrel and some blow-up dolls in it, that was the wrong one.

Aha, found it, thanks. The cave is a bit north from the barrel one. I love how it is sitting on a nice stone pedestal.

Though I don't seem to have customization options when I take it to Friendly Fire, oh well.

Have a punk with a dick bat

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
God drat, getting launched from island to island bouncing off cars while Unbelieveable plays is worth the price of admission alone :allears:

Though running around holding a TK ball mowing cars down and constantly getting set on fire while Oh poo poo plays in the background is also up there

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are in the stripper angel wings in the game, or have been modded in, perhaps as a backpack? I just want the wings, but I can't seem to find them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

BrainToad posted:

Aha, found it, thanks. The cave is a bit north from the barrel one. I love how it is sitting on a nice stone pedestal.

Though I don't seem to have customization options when I take it to Friendly Fire, oh well.

Have a punk with a dick bat

The patch broke the customization for it, there's a fix here: http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/fixed-penetrator-and-rectifier-customisation-hide-duplicate-dubstep-gun-in-latest-patch.4157/

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think the writing in this game is a lot deeper than people give it credit for. There's something really resonant and relevant about Zinyak and his cartoonish attempts to grasp (or abduct) Earth culture, and how those attempts and interpretations are attacked and contradicted by the President, over and over again. It's pretty cool. There's a lot going on under the hood.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think the writing in this game is a lot deeper than people give it credit for. There's something really resonant and relevant about Zinyak and his cartoonish attempts to grasp (or abduct) Earth culture, and how those attempts and interpretations are attacked and contradicted by the President, over and over again. It's pretty cool. There's a lot going on under the hood.

Saints Row 3 and 4 are two of the most brilliantly-written games of all time.

What impressed me about Saints Row 3 was how they solved the problem of narrative and gameplay dissonance so simply. They made the character of The Boss so completely spontaneous that literally nothing you could do in the game would feel out of character. That's a harder task than you might think from a writing standpoint, but they loving nailed it, and did so six times with six different characters.

Then Saints Row 4 did the same thing, but this time with the world. The story in 4 turned the very world you were in into a gigantic punching bag, with your goal being to hit it as hard as you can, as much as you can. This allowed them to say that not only was all your random open-world jackassery in-character, but it was also all, entirely in service of your ultimate goal to smash the simulation.

These things are what make the Saints Row games feel so right. Everything you do feels correct. You never feel like you're breaking the experience some designer wanted you to have. You never feel the pressure of invisible hands pushing you back into some boring narrative death march. I swear I could teach a loving class about narrative in game design with all the things these games do right.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I haven't listened to much of Zinyak's classical readings, but is his understanding of the literature he reads even right? I'm a bit rusty on my Macbeth, but I'm pretty sure the passage he reads in Matt's recruitment mission doesn't mean what he says it does.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

BenRGamer posted:

A bit old, but I'm guessing we'll revisit this in Enter the Dominatrix.

I don't know, if I recall correctly I hung out in front of that same door in The Third. I think it's just some useless, terrifying thing.

EDIT: Actually, I'm standing there now in The Third and nothing is happening. Though there is still a guy who gleefully pees on the wall there.

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 5, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cleretic posted:

I haven't listened to much of Zinyak's classical readings, but is his understanding of the literature he reads even right? I'm a bit rusty on my Macbeth, but I'm pretty sure the passage he reads in Matt's recruitment mission doesn't mean what he says it does.

The soliloquy he recites is Macbeth's response to the news that Lady Macbeth is dead. Macbeth, despite his initial assertion that "She should have died hereafter", is really loving wrecked about it, leading up to the despair-ridden climax of the soliloquy where he declares that "Life's but a walking shadow [...] signifying nothing." It's rather appropriate considering what he's trying to illustrate to the Boss that mission - with Earth gone, the Boss - and, by extension, the Saints - basically signify nothing. Of course, the Boss doesn't care.

I don't remember what he lectures the Boss on it meaning, truthfully, because I was so preoccupied with my favorite Shakespearian tragedy being dropped that I immediately went into contemplation mode after the Boss irreverently said she had no idea what he was talking about.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Zinyak is a brilliantly-written villain. The character achieves the goal of making you, the player, really want to succeed in beating him. Plus, he really seems like the first antagonist to actually give the Boss a run for their money. Rather than tripping you up, you get beat by Zinyak several times. He definitely puts Killbane to shame. The text adventures add even more flavor to Zinyak's backstory and his over-all appreciation of Earth-culture.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

El Tortuga posted:

Zinyak is a brilliantly-written villain. The character achieves the goal of making you, the player, really want to succeed in beating him. Plus, he really seems like the first antagonist to actually give the Boss a run for their money. Rather than tripping you up, you get beat by Zinyak several times. He definitely puts Killbane to shame. The text adventures add even more flavor to Zinyak's backstory and his over-all appreciation of Earth-culture.

I definitely felt intense satisfaction when I wiped that smug look of his face and ripped his head and spine out.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Clitch posted:

I'd avoided the Bounce Rifle, until endgame, where I'm going through all the weapon challenges. I get it fully upgraded, and then...

:catstare: It takes 3 Bounce Rifle shots to kill the Roly-Bots...from the front. :catstare:

It also doesn't Occupy your Special or Explosive weapon slots. I don't think it will ever leave my loadout now. It hits Wardens pretty hard too.

I'm pretty sure that the disintegrator is in the same slot (assault rifles) and it's probably the most powerful weapon in the game. I haven't fully upgraded my bounce rifle yet though so I might be wrong about this

Also have anyone ever used the force shield successfully? I just end up catching incoming projectiles with telekinesis since to use a force shield you gotta start sprinting and when sprint is fully upgraded staying still is practically impossible

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
On one hand, that bit really felt good. On the other, I'm almost sad that it means they can't really use him again.

edit: oops

Zeth fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 5, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1) Spoilers.

2) I don't feel so out of sorts over it. If you actually count by mission, rather than by story chain, the only people with more story time than Zinyak in the entire series are the Boss herself (natch) and probably Kinzie. Pierce is close, though.

Edited for I'm not so good with the math.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 5, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I, personally, was supremely disappointed you couldn't use zinyak's head/spine as a melee weapon. You should, but you can't.

Jerkasses.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Well, there's always mods, once the SDK comes out, but then you have to work out withdrawing it from the melee slot when you're playing with someone who hasn't beat the game.

Also then it's too battered for his mind to join the dance party.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Started a Nolan North run, just got to the bit where Zinyak tells the Wardens what to do. I sorta wish they'd done more with them than just had them be triggered by notoriety and occasionally dispense superpowers like an angry vending machine. Had them be actual characters to murder.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zeth posted:

Started a Nolan North run, just got to the bit where Zinyak tells the Wardens what to do. I sorta wish they'd done more with them than just had them be triggered by notoriety and occasionally dispense superpowers like an angry vending machine. Had them be actual characters to murder.

All of the superpower-giving ones have unique models pertaining to the power they end up giving you. Beyond that, it is a pretty big missed opportunity unfortunately.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

superstepa posted:

Also have anyone ever used the force shield successfully? I just end up catching incoming projectiles with telekinesis since to use a force shield you gotta start sprinting and when sprint is fully upgraded staying still is practically impossible

I used it in the final fight against Zinyak. When those explosive CIDs are coming at you, if there are a bunch of them hanging around you and you want to clear them out, just charge through them. The shield absorbs the explosions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zeth posted:

I'm kind of imagining that it would've been nice to have the Wardens take on the shape and personality of old characters, at least for their intro cutscene. Have the one with Stomp be patterned on Killbane, since he turns up because you freed Matt. I dunno about the rest, though. Buff's would have to be tied to Gat's story, so maybe Loren or an Akuji?

Notoriety Wardens can fake being authority figures. Troy's an obvious choice, but Dex can make an appearance, and I suppose Dane Vogel might count. Or they could just turn up as the plain Wardens.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 5, 2013

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What the hell are the boxes on the left of the screen during the Mayhem missions?? They look like open boxes with stuff in them and are inexplicable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

What the hell are the boxes on the left of the screen during the Mayhem missions?? They look like open boxes with stuff in them and are inexplicable.

A bug relating to future DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

PantsBandit posted:

Unfortunately I can log out but it demands I log back in to the same profile. It won't let me change the login name at all. Really starting to piss me off that their site is hosed up and wont let me log in and I can't even use a different profile in the game.
So this is going to sound remarkably stupid but it worked for me: Sign in to the Darksiders website instead and unlink your Steam account from the account settings page there.

• Locked thread