Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

PRCs are awesome if you're trying to do something complicated with redstone, but it's pretty expensive if you just need a handful of timers. It'd be nice if there were a cheaper version of the PRC that just contained basic stuff for "timer, AND gate, OR gate" and that was it, but since there isn't, the Red Logic timers will still have a use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Speaking of redstone, are there any good guides out there on how to actually USE the loving things without having multiple engineering degrees and severe autism? I must have spent 3 entire hours last night trying to hook two pistons up to a button, staring at cringeworthy youtube videos and "Newbie guides" that went several hundred feet over my head before the end of the first paragraph, and the closest thing I got to making it work was having them both extend only if one had a block on top of it and the other didn't. How do I actually make sense of this stuff? I promise myself every time I reinstall this game that I won't ever attempt to use redstone because it never makes any drat sense, tried Rednet cables a bit as well since they looked pretty promising but they just refused to work at all. I think I got maybe one piston to work with them and after that everything stopped working entirely.

I just want to build an elevator :smith:

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 30, 2013

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Nastyman posted:

I just want to build an elevator :smith:

Psst, hey, you didn't hear this from me but here.

(You'll probably want a zipper style)

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Sage Grimm posted:

Psst, hey, you didn't hear this from me but here.

(You'll probably want a zipper style)

Zipper style is what I've been trying to make, after an otherwise detailed and comfortably paced youtube video which I followed so diligently that I even placed my materials in the same inventory slots. Trouble is that what works in the video doesn't do poo poo in my game. The two pistons I'm having trouble with are the very first ones in the design, the ones that lift you up into the zipper. I can only imagine the fun I'm going to have getting the rest of it to work.

e: I just realized I DID deviate from the tutorial at one point, by placing the button one block higher to get it at face height. That.. that shouldn't actually matter as long as it's still connected to the redstone, right? :psyduck:

Maybe I'll fraps my next attempt and someone can point out exactly where I'm loving it up.

e2: Just got home from work and it looks like there are different varieties of zippers. I'll give this one a try and see how it goes.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 30, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Daynab posted:

Is there any good redstone logic mod at this point? (mainly, redstone cables instead of dust)

It doesn't look like MFR is going to be updated anytime soon but RedNet cables were the best thing ever and I really miss them :(

I recently discovered Ender IO which lets you make redstone pipes. Recently as in "yesterday". It's especially nifty because you can a) have them share the same block as the power and fluid lines included in the mod and b) hide them as drat near anything.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1937619-162152-ender-io-how-many-pipes-in-one-block-fluffy-dice-not-included/

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Nastyman posted:

Zipper style is what I've been trying to make, after an otherwise detailed and comfortably paced youtube video which I followed so diligently that I even placed my materials in the same inventory slots. Trouble is that what works in the video doesn't do poo poo in my game. The two pistons I'm having trouble with are the very first ones in the design, the ones that lift you up into the zipper. I can only imagine the fun I'm going to have getting the rest of it to work.

e: I just realized I DID deviate from the tutorial at one point, by placing the button one block higher to get it at face height. That.. that shouldn't actually matter as long as it's still connected to the redstone, right? :psyduck:

Maybe I'll fraps my next attempt and someone can point out exactly where I'm loving it up.

e2: Just got home from work and it looks like there are different varieties of zippers. I'll give this one a try and see how it goes.

Redstone has pretty poor transmission actually, so it's possible that the change to the line you made caused it to go 1 too far. Change it to a switch to see if the signal is making it the whole way.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hey, so when I'm not mining I enjoy fooling around in Creative mode, building stuff, and I'm trying to build an underground sewer/town sorta place, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can use to break lots of blocks at once either in Creative or in the mods included in the Toast pack. I like the excavator and the hammer, but even those don't break enough at once for me.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Serf posted:

Hey, so when I'm not mining I enjoy fooling around in Creative mode, building stuff, and I'm trying to build an underground sewer/town sorta place, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can use to break lots of blocks at once either in Creative or in the mods included in the Toast pack. I like the excavator and the hammer, but even those don't break enough at once for me.

A buildcraft filler set to clear mode or a buildcraft quarry would do it over time. Depends on how fast you need it done.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

As always the Destruction Catalyst is the best tool for breaking a lot of stuff by hand. It'll break a 3x3x3 area. I'm pretty sure Toast has Xeno's Reliquary:

http://ftbwiki.org/Destruction_Catalyst

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cantorsdust posted:

A buildcraft filler set to clear mode or a buildcraft quarry would do it over time. Depends on how fast you need it done.

Or how big a power source you connect them to, especially the Quarry.

If you have IC2/Gregtech installed try the mining laser set to explosive. Just...don't stand too close, it's surprisingly easy to gib yourself with the tiniest bit of knockback from it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

So I updated Tinkers Construct on my server from 1.3 to 1.5 and all silver was changed fake essence crystals. I can't find any reference to this on the Tinkers Construct page, does anyone have a clue?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
mDiyo just officially resigned as head of Tinker's Construct development. Someone named fuj1n will be handling it from now on. There also won't be any further 1.5 updates, anything else will be on 1.6. He's going to be working on another mod instead (having to do with little slime people that he's been developing and showed in a stream a couple weeks ago.)

Armor for Tinker's Construct is apparently close to done, and fuj1n's been the one working on that anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So I was playing around to see how good the biofuel generator is (answer: it's the Best). I had it working from a 3 by 3 tree farm, but I got curious about whether I could up the efficiency by using multiple crops.

The harvester and fertilizer refuse to do their jobs.

Not a single one has been harvested and there's 7 fertilzer in the machine
What gives

Also is there a way to make some kind of timer with the slaughterhouse or other machines in order to make a automatic animal farm that only slaughters animals every so often instead of all at once.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So I was playing around to see how good the biofuel generator is (answer: it's the Best). I had it working from a 3 by 3 tree farm, but I got curious about whether I could up the efficiency by using multiple crops.

The harvester and fertilizer refuse to do their jobs.

Not a single one has been harvested and there's 7 fertilzer in the machine
What gives

Also is there a way to make some kind of timer with the slaughterhouse or other machines in order to make a automatic animal farm that only slaughters animals every so often instead of all at once.

Try using Redstone Conduits instead of buildcraft pipes for power.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Make a pen 5x5 in size so that your breeder works optimally, then on one of the other sides stick a powered Chronotyper to pull the babies out of that pen. Now, babies are finicky little bastards that want to stay as close to their parents as possible and because of this having them on the same z-level will result in a handful being able to vibrate their way through the wall and back into the breeding pen. This is Not A Good Thing, so to prevent that have the Chronotyper pull them into a pit, doesn't have to be too deep but just enough so that you can dig underneath the breeding pen. The children will congregate there, so it's a simple matter of having a Slaughterhouse there to kill the adults when they grow up (Slaughterhouses don't kill babies).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sunblood posted:

Try using Redstone Conduits instead of buildcraft pipes for power.

Just tried that, nothin doin.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Just tried that, nothin doin.

Just to confirm as I'm sure you checked this before asking, but did you right-click the harvester and fertilizer to see if they're receiving power?

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
It looks like you have the harvester on one 3x3 and the fertilizer on the other.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Make sure the MFR machines are not receiving redstone signals, too - that sets them to idle.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Sorry, just fixed it. The harvester was facing the wrong way, and barley is not fertilizer compatible.

Trees work better with this thing anyway.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Sorry, just fixed it. The harvester was facing the wrong way, and barley is not fertilizer compatible.

Trees work better with this thing anyway.

Barley doesn't play very nice with MFR machines. I tried to use Barley and Barley Seeds in a Breeder, and while they work just fine breeding cows/chickens from hand, they wouldn't work at all in the Breeder, which sucked since I'd had the farm running on them for a while, and it made me have to switch to vanilla wheat.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Here is a tip:
When working with DSUs full of valuables, always make sure the area is absolutly secure before placing them.

I lost 100 ender pearls and about 20k of redstone and lapis to a creeper :argh:

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I won't clutter up the thread with a page of screenshots, but I took a tour of my most recent Toast base.
Album is here.

If you want to visit just hop on the Goon Toast Server and type '/home sunblood'. You might want to bring a jetpack :science:

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
So I recently bought Minecraft on my computerbox after owning the XBOX 360 version for a while and pining for all the cool mods I saw in Youtube videos. After fiddling with vanilla for a bit I installed a few standalone mods; I had to uninstall some of them due to overlap (I had More Minecraft, which adds more ores and tools and etc., and a mod that lets you make your own Iron Man armors. I went to smelt some silver ore and instead of silver ingots I got Iron Patriot boots.) I later tried installing a mod pack from the FTB Launcher but it made Minecraft lag like crazy (my computer isn't exactly the most beastly machine out there). More Minecraft and Zan's Minimap are the only mods I still have running right now, what's the consensus on those? And are there any more Forge-based mods that I can install that don't conflict with More Minecraft and won't make my sad little outdated laptop have a heart attack?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I would look into Tekkit/Hexxit. I had only played vanilla until recently, but these two mod packs have a lot of content and make sure everything runs well together.

The most important mod I think is NEI, Not enough items, it lets you see all the recipes ingame and is very handy.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Simon The Digger posted:

So I recently bought Minecraft on my computerbox after owning the XBOX 360 version for a while and pining for all the cool mods I saw in Youtube videos. After fiddling with vanilla for a bit I installed a few standalone mods; I had to uninstall some of them due to overlap (I had More Minecraft, which adds more ores and tools and etc., and a mod that lets you make your own Iron Man armors. I went to smelt some silver ore and instead of silver ingots I got Iron Patriot boots.) I later tried installing a mod pack from the FTB Launcher but it made Minecraft lag like crazy (my computer isn't exactly the most beastly machine out there). More Minecraft and Zan's Minimap are the only mods I still have running right now, what's the consensus on those? And are there any more Forge-based mods that I can install that don't conflict with More Minecraft and won't make my sad little outdated laptop have a heart attack?

If you are getting odd results from things, it's very likely you have an ID conflict somewhere. Modding will often results these. Thankfully, for the most part, they're not hard to fix. Just pop open the configs for those mods, find the items that are conflicting, and change the #s for the items that conflict (keep the # under 4096, I believe, however.)

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Serifina posted:

If you are getting odd results from things, it's very likely you have an ID conflict somewhere. Modding will often results these. Thankfully, for the most part, they're not hard to fix. Just pop open the configs for those mods, find the items that are conflicting, and change the #s for the items that conflict (keep the # under 4096, I believe, however.)

block ID's need to stay under 4096, item ID's can go much higher

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is there a way to flag a block as 'glass' in immibis' microblocks? I chopped up some Tinkers Construct stained glass but it only retains the texture whereas vanilla glass block maintains its transparency.

[edit]Oddly, when I hold a 'cut' piece in my hand it's transparent but when placed it becomes opaque.

[edit]Immibis answered me in chat; there is no config setting.

fondue fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 4, 2013

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Does anybody know of an easy mod to stream music from my computer through my server so that everybody can hear it as a soundtrack? I've done so much searching and everything I've found is either not quite what I'm looking for (i.e. only changes disc music) or is in development hell and super complicated. It doesn't seem to me like this should be that hard, but I don't know java either, so...

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

senae posted:

Redstone has pretty poor transmission actually, so it's possible that the change to the line you made caused it to go 1 too far. Change it to a switch to see if the signal is making it the whole way.

Actually I just gave up on it entirely and then Dunno-Lars came along and told me we could just use a Dimensional Door instead :v: gently caress redstone :emo:

Just set up a big MFR autofarm running 9 planters+2, a harvester+11 and a fertilizer+11 in our new base last night, it seems to be working pretty well but while I was admiring the finished product I noticed seeds would occasionally pop out of the dirt and get picked up by magnet mode. I'd already spent too much time setting it up so I didn't bother investigating, the same thing happened while I was working on it which turned out to be lack of lights in an area I had expanded slightly but all the plots should have plenty of light and water right now. It's not a huge thing, it throws up maybe 2-3 seeds of.. cotton and barley if I remember correctly, but if there's anything I can/should do about it I'd like to know. The planters are hooked up to ME Precision Export Buses (no settings changed aside from specifying which seeds to export) and Redstone Energy Conduits, the Harvester is outputting directly into an Ender Chest which connects to the ME inventory and there's nothing that should be obstructing the grow area as far as I'm aware. I'm fairly certain it was happening outside of the harvesting cycle, but I could be wrong.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 4, 2013

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

pwnyXpress posted:

Does anybody know of an easy mod to stream music from my computer through my server so that everybody can hear it as a soundtrack? I've done so much searching and everything I've found is either not quite what I'm looking for (i.e. only changes disc music) or is in development hell and super complicated. It doesn't seem to me like this should be that hard, but I don't know java either, so...

I'd think the easiest way to do this would be with some kind of third-party streaming service, not through minecraft.

Which also gives people the option of not using it if they don't want to listen to it or hate your lovely taste in horrible music

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Nastyman posted:

Actually I just gave up on it entirely and then Dunno-Lars came along and told me we could just use a Dimensional Door instead :v: gently caress redstone :emo:

Just set up a big MFR autofarm running 9 planters+2, a harvester+11 and a fertilizer+11 in our new base last night, it seems to be working pretty well but while I was admiring the finished product I noticed seeds would occasionally pop out of the dirt and get picked up by magnet mode. I'd already spent too much time setting it up so I didn't bother investigating, the same thing happened while I was working on it which turned out to be lack of lights in an area I had expanded slightly but all the plots should have plenty of light and water right now. It's not a huge thing, it throws up maybe 2-3 seeds of.. cotton and barley if I remember correctly, but if there's anything I can/should do about it I'd like to know. The planters are hooked up to ME Precision Export Buses (no settings changed aside from specifying which seeds to export) and Redstone Energy Conduits, the Harvester is outputting directly into an Ender Chest which connects to the ME inventory and there's nothing that should be obstructing the grow area as far as I'm aware. I'm fairly certain it was happening outside of the harvesting cycle, but I could be wrong.

Daft question but you're not jumping on the tilled soil are you?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

AceClown posted:

Daft question but you're not jumping on the tilled soil are you?

Nope, most of the time when it happens I'm on the opposite side of the room, standing perfectly still. Jumping in the grow room is pointless, actually, as it's perfectly flat except for the stairs up and the MCB covers hiding the water. (Yes I know some people just like to jump all the time :v: )

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Has anyone run into this bug with the Ender Tank in single player?

quote:

When using an endertank and a chunk loader on the same chunk, the chunk can be reset and you will lose everything that was inside this chunk.

I was going to give it a try anyway pumping lava from the nether to a railcraft tank in the overworld but I'd rather not throw expensive items away if I can help it. I can't see any other way to keep the nether chunk loaded though.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
The first time the Toast server my wife and I use crashed, the problem came right after we set up an enormous contraption of diamond pipes, deep storage units, and iron chests to sort all our production and inventory. I posted in this thread about it, but no one had any good ideas. We get disheartened and quit Minecraft for a few months.

Last week, we try it again. Diamond pipes, tesseracts, iron chests, deep storage units, boom, the server crashes on startup. Backed up to just before we set up all the diamond pipe filters, and my wife set it up again, and boom, it crashes again.

Here are some representative crash logs. One is a little unlike the others, but I don't know if that signifies anything.

http://pastebin.com/SXxSEXvs
http://pastebin.com/2veZN55m
http://pastebin.com/Ca6DbWEQ

Is this something that happens to other people?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

President Ark posted:

I'd think the easiest way to do this would be with some kind of third-party streaming service, not through minecraft.

Which also gives people the option of not using it if they don't want to listen to it or hate your lovely taste in horrible music

Well...I guess the answer is no, then? Was hoping for something better.

(I must subject my subjects to horrible music)

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
Is there a reason you aren't using Applied Energistics instead of some (quite likely) overcomplicated mess of buildcraft pipes?

Not that it should matter; I'm just curious.

One of the stack traces points at ender tanks causing a problem, the other two point to either buildcraft or immibis microblocks depending on how you read it. Are you piping microblocks through buildcraft pipes?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

drunkencarp posted:

The first time the Toast server my wife and I use crashed, the problem came right after we set up an enormous contraption of diamond pipes, deep storage units, and iron chests to sort all our production and inventory. I posted in this thread about it, but no one had any good ideas. We get disheartened and quit Minecraft for a few months.

Last week, we try it again. Diamond pipes, tesseracts, iron chests, deep storage units, boom, the server crashes on startup. Backed up to just before we set up all the diamond pipe filters, and my wife set it up again, and boom, it crashes again.

Here are some representative crash logs. One is a little unlike the others, but I don't know if that signifies anything.

http://pastebin.com/SXxSEXvs
http://pastebin.com/2veZN55m
http://pastebin.com/Ca6DbWEQ

Is this something that happens to other people?

Short, less helpful question: don't use buildcraft pipes for anything complex. I quit using them in the 1.7.3 days when it was too easy to cause world crashes if you looked at them funny. They may be better now, but how much I don't know.

On one of those, try facing your ender tank a different direction maybe. Not sure on the other 2.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

mechaet posted:

Is there a reason you aren't using Applied Energistics instead of some (quite likely) overcomplicated mess of buildcraft pipes?

Not that it should matter; I'm just curious.

One of the stack traces points at ender tanks causing a problem, the other two point to either buildcraft or immibis microblocks depending on how you read it. Are you piping microblocks through buildcraft pipes?

My wife is of the opinion that AE is cheaty in a way that good honest gold and diamond pipe isn't. I'm 100% sure we weren't making microblocks, though we might have had a handful in a chest somewhere. And I don't *think* there were any ender tanks in our system, but I might be wrong about that. I guess we have one somewhere, if it's causing the troubles.

So putting around a hundred diamond pipes (set to filter in five directions each) all in one chunk just flat-out causes problems, is what I'm hearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Any reason you're not using tesseracts instead?

• Locked thread