Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Not to be all TMZ, but I feel like I learned a lot about Norton when I read that he used to date Chelsea Peretti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Medullah posted:

On the other hand, I am a huge Flight of the Conchords fan and they were TERRIBLE (Detroit show if anyone wants to agree/disagree). I really think you have to be a fan of theirs to "get" them and their style. But they didn't make it any easier on the people who hadn't heard them before by choosing a bizarre setlist. They have a lot of pretty easily accessible songs (The Humans Are Dead is one that I think pretty much anyone can appreciate the humor in), but they did songs like "Song for Sally" and a really bizarre version of Rhymenoceros vs Hiphopopotamus.

I'd say they were pretty much universally panned last night, but there was a dude behind me that was REALLY into it and laughing obnoxiously loud, including a constant sputtering laugh, and a loud "YES!!!! I LOVE THIS SONG!" with every song. Weird.

I am a big fan of FOTC but I think you have to see them in the right circumstances. This festival seems like the worst sort of place to see them, I've seen them twice and once it was in a huge venue and it was just horrible. The first time I saw them was in a small venue and it was amazing.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

SKULE123 posted:

Not to be all TMZ, but I feel like I learned a lot about Norton when I read that he used to date Chelsea Peretti.

Ugh, I think I just learned more about Chelsea Peretti.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Eltoasto posted:

Ugh, I think I just learned more about Chelsea Peretti.

Yeah I don't know what he meant by that, but I know exactly what you meant by this. Ugh. Chelsea :(

But yeah, SKULE123 feel free to explain what you mean.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah I don't know what he meant by that, but I know exactly what you meant by this. Ugh. Chelsea :(

But yeah, SKULE123 feel free to explain what you mean.

I just meant that there must be something decent and normalish about him, given my (limited) understanding of Chelsea. Maybe he just pushes his freakazoid public persona hard in the world of O&A fans he caters to.

Or it could just be some kind of young female/old male weird comedy relationship dynamic, like when I heard that Morgan Murphy and Marc Maron used to date. Yeesh, it seems like I pay too much attention to that kind of thing but I really don't.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
She's probably into some really weird poo poo and knew he's down for whatever. She'd have to be to look past his obviously disgusting face, body, and personality.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Jim Norton is like all of those 90s era Dave Attell rip-offs who all pretended to be the grossest, dirtiest slob in the room, only Jim Norton actually is genuinely like that.
As has been said, while his stand-up isn't great he really is a genius when it comes to off the cuff radio comedy.

I'll never seek Norton out, but when I hear he's doing something new or pops up in one of my podcasts I'm always like "Awww, good for you buddy". He's not my taste at all, but he's so genuine about who he is he's hard to actively dislike no matter how much of a gross human being he is.

EDIT: I loved his appearance on the recent live WTF, if for nothing more than how fascinated Maria Bamford became about the depths of his depravity.

He seems like a good egg, just really gross and not my taste. Opie & Anthony are cretins, and I hate that there is a whole circle of comedians that seem to be down with them, including Jim.

Zohn fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 3, 2013

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Zohn posted:

Jim Norton is like all of those 90s era Dave Attell rip-offs who all pretended to be the grossest, dirtiest slob in the room, only Jim Norton actually is genuinely like that.
As has been said, while his stand-up isn't great he really is a genius when it comes to off the cuff radio comedy.

I'll never seek Norton out, but when I hear he's doing something new or pops up in one of my podcasts I'm always like "Awww, good for you buddy". He's not my taste at all, but he's so genuine about who he is he's hard to actively dislike no matter how much of a gross human being he is.

EDIT: I loved his appearance on the recent live WTF, if for nothing more than how fascinated Maria Bamford became about the depths of his depravity.

He seems like a good egg, just really gross and not my taste. Opie & Anthony are cretins, and I hate that there is a whole circle of comedians that seem to be down with them, including Jim.

It sucks that I have to listen to some episodes of O&A on YouTube because I like Louis' appearances on them, but then I have to deal with the utter garbage that is Opie, Anthony, and Norton. Blech.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
First, agreed about Jim Norton's stand-up being poo poo while his radio poo poo is great. But, about Chelsea Peretti, she and Jim have both mentioned numerous times that she wasn't exposed to that sort of stuff. None of her peeing on him with a hooker present or anything.

edit: I missed a recent WTF live, and one with Maria Bamford at that? Can't thank you enough for bringing this to my attention!

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 4, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Todd Glass - Todd Glass Talks About Stuff (Audio/Video)
Gary Gulman - In This Economy? (Video)
I Am Comic Documentary (Video)

were just added to the Humble Bundle. I've only seen I Am Comic and it's a pretty decent documentary (minus following around some guy trying to make it)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man I love that they also give the new stuff to people who bought the bundle initially. Also Todd Glass :woop:.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Is I Am Comic any good? Cause that's the only part that really piques my interest.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Is I Am Comic any good? Cause that's the only part that really piques my interest.

I haven't seen it in a while but I remember the parts where they interview other comics being good, but what Charlie was referring to is in the second half they start to follow some guy to bars as he gets back into stand up and surprise that part isn't as good.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Trujillo posted:

I haven't seen it in a while but I remember the parts where they interview other comics being good, but what Charlie was referring to is in the second half they start to follow some guy to bars as he gets back into stand up and surprise that part isn't as good.

That guy is really grating and not funny at all, also he spells his name Ritch Shydner which I also find grating.

Recent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02aNjcDdC5g

edit - this isn't so bad, it's not really for me but he knows what he's doing and he's not awful in this clip. If they had removed him from I am Comic, it would have been 10x better. It makes it kinda sad.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Trujillo posted:

That part I found interesting because when he popped up in the documentary, I dimly recognized the guy from late 80s and early 90s talk shows and the low-budget comedy half hours that came on basic cable back then (I think A&E---or whatever it was back then---had a half-hour show that was basically one camera on a mic in front of a brick wall at Caroline's). I don't know that he was ever famous, but I do remember he seemed to be one of the more visible comics at the time and even then, I was fascinated by the world of comedy, so learning what happened to him and seeing him get reinvigorated about doing stand-up was kind of cool to me.

But objectively, his comeback stand-up sets weren't awe-inspiring. I can't recall offhand any of his old bits either. While it was a neat part of the movie to me, I can easily see how other people would prefer it cut out in favor of more discussion with current comedians and the business. (I wouldn't have minded that much either, come to think of it.)

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

NienNunb posted:

It's worth a watch. I think it's on Netflix streaming too if you have that.

They're making a sequel to it called "I Am Road Comic" which apparently features Doug Benson, fyi.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
I Am Comic is one of my favorite documentaries and the second half, while not as funny, is actually my favorite part. Ritch Shydner is decent, but he's long out of the game and his 80s style is now sort of hacky. So, watching him start doing lovely sets again just because he misses it so much really illustrates what is only hinted at in a lot of the interviews: that being funny on stage is an almost pathological need for comics.
Watching him pace around full of adrenaline outside a bar just because he managed to get a few laughs at an open mike is sort of the thesis statement of the film for me.

He has a book too, called I Killed, which is nothing but a collection of road stories from tons of comics and is totally worth checking out.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Zohn posted:

Watching him pace around full of adrenaline outside a bar just because he managed to get a few laughs at an open mike is sort of the thesis statement of the film for me.

He has a book too, called I Killed, which is nothing but a collection of road stories from tons of comics and is totally worth checking out.

Very good point, actually. Also, thanks for mentioning the book! I just snagged the Kindle off of Amazon right now and am looking forward to digging into it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Oddball Fest was pretty great. I just went to the one in Holmdel, which was essentially the one for NYC. I was a little bummed because Jeff Ross, Chris D'Elia, and Hannibal Buress were all unavailable for this date, but they did have Sarah Silverman come out of nowhere to do a set which was fun. FOTC put on a really great hour if you enjoy their stuff and Chappelle was hilarious as expected. He had a lot of self-referential material and riffs regarding Chappelle's Show and the Hartford incident, but there was plenty of fleshed-out new material in there too. You can tell that his attitudes have shifted, but he still hits all the same comic notes that you see in his older specials.

The most educational thing was seeing Al Madrigal though, because I saw him earlier this week at a super tiny club in Manhattan. He did a bunch of the same bits and it really drove home for me how much better comedy is in those intimate environments. I mean it was worth it to see someone like Chappelle who I probably never will again, but the massive stadium crowd is a nightmare even when everybody is playing nice and following the rules (and the performers all seemed to indicate that it was one of the warmer crowds they'd had on the tour so far). I just don't think these comedy festivals are for me. Too much noise, too much loss of intimacy, and even though we had pretty good seats you're mostly watching a monitor to see the facial expressions. I'd always thought it would be amazing to go to Just For Laughs or something, but really if you can see the same comedians in a local club then just do that.

Ror fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 8, 2013

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
To those that went to Oddball Fest, how was Brody Stevens?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

-Atom- posted:

To those that went to Oddball Fest, how was Brody Stevens?

Brody was alright, he was mainly the host for the second stage before the main show began.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I went to OddBall in Camden on Friday, and while I missed some people for various reasons, I had a really great time otherwise. My only real gripe was that Demitri Martin wasn't at that show, which kind of upset me, but it ends up I read his schedule wrong. FotC were great, Chappelle was exactly as Ror described above, and went over time since he was last, and Kristen Schaal was adorable through her entire set, and was probably the act I laughed hardest at.

Brody Stevens was alright, but most of the talent on the second stage was boring or forgettable so I wasn't really paying attention.

I missed Chris D'Elia, I think, and about 5 minutes of Kristen Schaal looking for a drunk friend who we had lost between the end of the second stage and the beginning of the main stage. I missed most of John Mulaney picking up VIP bands I had won at the Funny Or Die booth, and Jeff Ross missed the first song FotC played because that VIP room wasn't playing the show at all, and we were never alerted that the acts had started again. The night itself was kinda frustrating, but every act was great.

Ror posted:

(and the performers all seemed to indicate that it was one of the warmer crowds they'd had on the tour so far). I just don't think these comedy festivals are for me. Too much noise, too much loss of intimacy, and even though we had pretty good seats you're mostly watching a monitor to see the facial expressions.

Dave Chappelle called Camden the best crowd he'd had on the tour so far.:smug:

I definitely agree about the festival stuff, though. I had more fun seeing people at the tiny Helium in Philly, or seeing PFT at some small, non air-conditioned theater, than I did wandering the festival grounds and watching monitors. I did like, though, that FotC took a lady's sign that said "Lick My Battery" and displayed it on stage, and Dave Chappelle invited a woman on stage who asked for a hug. I feel like a smaller venue may not have generated those moments.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Did the venue/promoters make any effort to tell the crowd not to heckle or were you guys just a better crowd? I heard the immediate show after Hartford had to put up signs and the show went off without a hitch.

Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth had some funny Tweets about the incident. Called the Hartford arena the worst venue in the country and said a promoter told her that it only sells out for DMB and Pearl Jam.

Yeah, they announced to the crowd that they couldn't heckle, and weren't allowed to have cell phones out, etc.

The Berzerker posted:

I am a big fan of FOTC but I think you have to see them in the right circumstances. This festival seems like the worst sort of place to see them, I've seen them twice and once it was in a huge venue and it was just horrible. The first time I saw them was in a small venue and it was amazing.

Yup, I agree. I saw them in a much smaller venue before and they were great. Big, outdoor festival, not their best environment.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'm not entirely sure if this should go hear or if I should be making a ask/tell thread, but I decided that next week I'm going to try doing stand up at an open mic in New Haven. I was just wondering if there was anyone else here who does it could give some tips for a first timer.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm not entirely sure if this should go hear or if I should be making a ask/tell thread, but I decided that next week I'm going to try doing stand up at an open mic in New Haven. I was just wondering if there was anyone else here who does it could give some tips for a first timer.

I'm a few months in so it's not like I have a wellspring of sage wisdom, but since it's a fresh memory for me: have you watched an open mic yet? I went once and just watched one and realized that the worst 2 or 3 guys in that room were so bad that I wasn't in any realistic danger of dragging down the night, and that knowledge allowed me to be much more relaxed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hope it's OK if I post this here. Good A.V. Club article about comedians and their relationship to their audience when it becomes adversarial.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/when-comedians-walk-off-its-the-crowd-thats-to-bla,102722/

edit: plowing through the comments and some of them would fit really well here and add to the discussion.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 12, 2013

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

Shovelbearer posted:

I went once and just watched one and realized that the worst 2 or 3 guys in that room were so bad that I wasn't in any realistic danger of dragging down the night, and that knowledge allowed me to be much more relaxed.

Yeah, but it's tough following those guys. Sometimes a comic can be so toxic (a.k.a. terrible rape jokes) that it just bums the rest of the room out for a while.

Especially in LA, where nobody but comics go to open mics. A truly awful comic goes up & makes everyone in the room think, "What the gently caress am I doing wasting my time here?"

On the plus side, a good host will make sure to book an awesome comic after an awful one, to get poo poo back on track. Or just put them all up first so we all forget about it!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Shovelbearer posted:

I'm a few months in so it's not like I have a wellspring of sage wisdom, but since it's a fresh memory for me: have you watched an open mic yet? I went once and just watched one and realized that the worst 2 or 3 guys in that room were so bad that I wasn't in any realistic danger of dragging down the night, and that knowledge allowed me to be much more relaxed.

How bad are we talking? What were their sets like?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Every person I've talked to about it suggests going to a couple of open mics so that you know what you're walking in to, so I guess do that. I'm in the same boat as you where I am just trying to push myself into doing it, I've been planning on doing it for a long time and I've written stuff I just have trouble getting over the nerves to do it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I found the jitters pretty much leave completely once you get up onstage, it's just actually getting stage time when 80 people also want it in a 20 person line-up that's been a total kick in the dick. But hey, not getting on stage basically gives you hours to write, re-write and hone material in-between the sign-up sheet and the schedule getting posted week after week.

It feels like I have an hour of banked material despite only getting on twice since January.

(Or maybe I'm just complete garbage and they don't want me there. That's definitely a possibility)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

JFL42 starts this week and I have plans to see Sarah Silverman, Bill Burr, Andy Kindler, Marc Maron, John Mulaney, Maria Bamford, Kyle Kinane, and a ton of local comics and whoever else I can get in to see. It is going to be awesome.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BigRed0427 posted:

There's a thread over in CC about it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517952

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
For LA Paul F. Tompkins fans: I'm doing a show with PFT and DC Pierson this Saturday @ Midnight, UCB. It's a show that's run in LA for over five years, and it's going to be pretty fun. Here's a link: http://losangeles.ucbtheatre.com/shows/view/1798

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw Sarah Silverman on Friday and then last night I saw two shows, one with Picnicface members and the other was Bill Burr. Tonight I'm seeing some local Toronto comics (same with tomorrow, I think) and then Tuesday I'm seeing Marc Maron, Wednesday I'm seeing Maria Bamford (and hopefully Kyle Kinane), and Thursday I'm seeing John Mulaney (and hopefully Hannibal Buress). It's an insane week.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
drat, I'm jealous of all of you who get to see these comedians.

I need to move to a major city.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Does anyone know where I can find more Todd Glass?

He's very quickly become my favorite comedian.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Does anyone know where I can find more Todd Glass?

He's very quickly become my favorite comedian.

Have you listened to his podcast? He also used to co-host Comedy and Everything Else way back at its beginning.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Tig mentioned the Bentzen Ball happening in DC in a few weeks. It looks amazing.

Edit: Spellcheck

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 25, 2013

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Bunk Rogers posted:

Tug mentioned the Bentzen Ball happening in DC in a few weeks. It looks amazing.

I'll be at the opening night! Unfortunately, Nick Kroll's show is at the same time as They Might Be Giants down the street. However, I'll be making up for it with Comedy Bang! Bang! on the 15th. DC hit its limit in the Facebook to get Paul F. Tompkins to perform here a while ago, but there weren't any venues that met his qualifications. We've finally tricked him into coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Just wanted to say if you enjoyed Jimmy Pardo's "Pompous Clown", you'll love his new album Sprezzatura.