Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd also wait to see what the Build Fighters series brings. They were teasing a Heavyarms for that and it might drag the Custom in with it, given the series seems to be about modding kits.

I wouldn't rely on Build Fighters for a Heavyarms Custom, since what they showed off was TV Heavyarms. If anything the Gundam Wing Glory of the Losers manga going on right now would probably be the determining factor for if/when we get Altron EW, Sandrock Custom and Heavyarms Custom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

I wouldn't rely on Build Fighters for a Heavyarms Custom, since what they showed off was TV Heavyarms. If anything the Gundam Wing Glory of the Losers manga going on right now would probably be the determining factor for if/when we get Altron EW, Sandrock Custom and Heavyarms Custom.

They're also tossing out those Custom packs, remember. They might very well give the parts to turn the TV Heavyarms into a Custom through that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The BF extension things seem restricted solely to backpacks. I wouldn't cross my fingers for a full on conversion kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Y'know, I have no problem with P-Bandai exclusives as long as they are limited to color swaps, minor variants and stuff like the 3.0 weapons pack, but the ReBawoo is a pretty distinct design and having it as an online-only thing is setting a very, very bad precedent, I think.

Also, I'm trying not to rush to judgement over the Sazabi ver.Ka since at this point it's just a prototype that is obviously barely holding together, but my gut reaction is "wow, they managed to gently caress it up again." Those legs look really small and really weird.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

the ReBawoo is a pretty distinct design and having it as an online-only thing is setting a very, very bad precedent, I think.

It's literally the HG Bawoo with some stuff from the HG Sinanju. You even need glue for it.

EDIT: It's actually very likely that it's online only because no other retailers would accept it. Again, because it requires glue.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 2, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Are you sure about that? I don't think the bandai shop page says anything about glue, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Ah, I see it, there it is.

muike fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 2, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anybody got some recommendations for desk lamps with a good color spectrum for working on models?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I just use regular clip-on desk lamps I bought at Staples with true white cfl bulbs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Daylight bulbs or bust.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Here, have a picture of Volks' (officially licensed by Sunrise) upcoming 1/100 V2 resin kit to make up for how huge my avatar is:

This is up for pre-order now. Seeing how all of the promotional pics have it in the same pose, it's probably a statue. But if you're at the level where you're doing resin kits, adding in some joints shouldn't be too hard.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
GGInfinite has those rare 1/144 Gundam Wing G-Unit model kits in stock for anyone interested: http://gginfinite.com/Gundam_Wing.html

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well after years of Warhammer and Warmachine poo poo I've finally made the jump to gunpla poo poo.

Before this I've only built some tiny SD stuff, but the other day I bought an HD Geara Doga since some people online said it was a very good starter kit and I love me some Zeon mecha.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Welcome to the family. Do you have any kits you are looking for advice to get? Scale? Just Zeon or do you like the actual Gundams too?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea I like tons of gundams too, I just dig the Zeon aesthetics a bit more on the whole.

As for scale I think for now I'm going to stick with 1/144 HGUC to learn on, if I can. On specific kits really unsure what's good and what's not quite yet. I've seen some youtube reviews and all but most of them seem to be of Real Grade or Master Grade stuff which seems a bit much for a newbie to work on.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Don't be intimidated by MG or RG kits. The only difference is that MG and RG have more parts, and if you can competently put a HG together then a higher grade won't be that much of an issue. Throw out some names and we can tell you if they are worth your money or not.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Don't forget to look at dalong.net and check out the info tab instead of just the review part of the kits. You can see how the kits go together.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

You want NONE of this. :colbert:

Such a great Master Grade. You'd have to really try to make him look lame in a pose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I got my Geara Doga yesterday (shockingly fast shipping) and just finished building it today. Went very fast, there was no frustrating part that didn't come from my own dumb rear end reading the picture wrong. I took some lovely pictures with my phone but for some reason it's taking forever to email it to myself.

Anyway, great kit, I still need to put a couple stickers on and do some sanding to get some flash off, totally going to get another soon as soon as I figure out what I wanna do next.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You could keep it to grunts and grab a Jegan, the Federation counterpart.

Alternatively you could get two or three more Geara Dogas, a ton of GM IIIs, a Nu, and a giant piece of styrofoam and make your own CCA ending.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 7, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
CHINA GUNPLA NEWS

Dragon Momoko is making a 1/144 Gundam Geminass 01 from Gundam Wing G-Unit:

BTF has made a fin funnel set for Nu Gundam ver. ka, complete with its own psychoframe and clips to keep the funnels together when mounted on the back:

BTF is also making a 1/100 version of the Caletvwich sword for MG Astray Red Frame:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh wow I built something:

MG Unicorn Ka.

I know a lot of people kind of hate this thing; I'll see what I think after I try to transform and pose it. I can already tell the legs don't have a lot of flexibility to them.

I do plan to paint and decal it (I got the waterslides a million years ago.

Not much panel lining to do since most of the lines actually split!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you keep it in Unicorn mode, the MG Unicorn is a decent kit. It's not the most posable thing ever, but it captures the look perfectly and doesn't suffer from any major errors. It's Destroy mode that's the problem; as impressive a feat it was engineering-wise to incorporate a transformation mechanic, the fact of the matter is that Destroy mode sucks.

The legs are a pain in the rear end to transform and pieces fall off all the time. The skirt armor is similarly loose. The arms are a complete mess, with the shoulders being awkward to transform at best and the arms having an unfortunate tendency to fall to pieces every time you try to morph it. The chest transformation is held up by a flap in the back that is utterly incapable of stability. The two pieces on the side of the head are very loose. The backpack doesn't have any glaring issues of its own, but gets points marked off for getting in the way of fixing the chest transformation (as well as the fact that when you inevitably take it off to fix the torso, putting it back on has a 50% chance of loosening the torso again). And last, but not least, the god damned AB connector is not very good at supporting the Unicorn's weight, and kind of a pain to put on without knocking anything loose. I would actually recommend the FA Unicorn to people looking for a Unicorn just because its new AB connector is a hell of a lot more stable.

And when you're finally done transforming the thing, haha guess what it still can't pose because if you jostle the thing too much, poo poo starts flying off. And you can't even glue them down either because all of that stuff is part of the transformation! Also the psychoframe looks like poo poo outside of very bright lighting since by this point Bandai hadn't realized you need a silver sticker underneath the transparent piece to really make it shine, but that's not really something you can blame on the kit.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

TaurusOxford posted:

You want NONE of this. :colbert:

Such a great Master Grade. You'd have to really try to make him look lame in a pose.

Alright, this is what I'm doing with my red frame

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Just to chime in with blitzblast, god help you if you ever want to paint the mg unicorn because it will be scratched to hell. It's why I put making my mg unicorn on hold.

Unicorn looks nice, but it suffers as a result of it's gimmick.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'd just like to say I hate enamel paint goddamn. It stinks real bad. Hopefully this new can will spray better that the other one cos this reverse wash step is really holding up my Sinanju! After this I'm definitely getting an airbrush in the Spring, it's just way more economical that spraycans if you're doing a whole MG.

I love the MG Astrays and I'm the idiot that'll pay the extra and encourage their premium shop for the Noir and Red Frame Regular. It's just so easy and fun to pose and a pleasure to build and it has the cool toys.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

If you keep it in Unicorn mode, the MG Unicorn is a decent kit. It's not the most posable thing ever, but it captures the look perfectly and doesn't suffer from any major errors. It's Destroy mode that's the problem; as impressive a feat it was engineering-wise to incorporate a transformation mechanic, the fact of the matter is that Destroy mode sucks.

The legs are a pain in the rear end to transform and pieces fall off all the time. The skirt armor is similarly loose. The arms are a complete mess, with the shoulders being awkward to transform at best and the arms having an unfortunate tendency to fall to pieces every time you try to morph it. The chest transformation is held up by a flap in the back that is utterly incapable of stability. The two pieces on the side of the head are very loose. The backpack doesn't have any glaring issues of its own, but gets points marked off for getting in the way of fixing the chest transformation (as well as the fact that when you inevitably take it off to fix the torso, putting it back on has a 50% chance of loosening the torso again). And last, but not least, the god damned AB connector is not very good at supporting the Unicorn's weight, and kind of a pain to put on without knocking anything loose. I would actually recommend the FA Unicorn to people looking for a Unicorn just because its new AB connector is a hell of a lot more stable.

And when you're finally done transforming the thing, haha guess what it still can't pose because if you jostle the thing too much, poo poo starts flying off. And you can't even glue them down either because all of that stuff is part of the transformation! Also the psychoframe looks like poo poo outside of very bright lighting since by this point Bandai hadn't realized you need a silver sticker underneath the transparent piece to really make it shine, but that's not really something you can blame on the kit.

Monaghan posted:

Just to chime in with blitzblast, god help you if you ever want to paint the mg unicorn because it will be scratched to hell. It's why I put making my mg unicorn on hold.

Unicorn looks nice, but it suffers as a result of it's gimmick.

Yeah, I decided to transform it after I posted that and before I went to bed last night. Hoo boy. That double joint in the waist isn't explained very well - if you try to do it with the flap only it doesn't hold AT ALL but if you can get the axle clicked into the lower position then the flap does OK. Really that could use some kind of ratcheting deal but that's more custom than I've got skill for.

The fact that it makes such an elaborate transformation and doesn't look like rear end in either mode, or require to replace half the kit with other parts, is pretty amazing, but yep, it looks like I'm going to have to decide on one mode to leave it in.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

EthanSteele posted:

I'd just like to say I hate enamel paint goddamn. It stinks real bad. Hopefully this new can will spray better that the other one cos this reverse wash step is really holding up my Sinanju! After this I'm definitely getting an airbrush in the Spring, it's just way more economical that spraycans if you're doing a whole MG.

I love the MG Astrays and I'm the idiot that'll pay the extra and encourage their premium shop for the Noir and Red Frame Regular. It's just so easy and fun to pose and a pleasure to build and it has the cool toys.

Ugh, my Sinanju made me wish I'd never heard the phrase "reverse wash". I'm convinced that the Sleeves lose the conflict because their mechanics are too busy putting intricate pin-striping on everything instead of doing maintenance.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Cat Hatter posted:

Ugh, my Sinanju made me wish I'd never heard the phrase "reverse wash". I'm convinced that the Sleeves lose the conflict because their mechanics are too busy putting intricate pin-striping on everything instead of doing maintenance.

High five Sleeves buddy. I got a cool new can and it sprays way better than the other one, so I'll be able to put on thinner coats and build it up while still having it easy to remove, but goddamn. I think I'll only use enamels to panel line if at all from now on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All this talk of painting techniques and I'm still struggling to put together a Zaku II without shaving any nubs off I shouldn't be. (It only happened once.)

The first leg took me two hours. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Sakurazuka posted:

All this talk of painting techniques and I'm still struggling to put together a Zaku II without shaving any nubs off I shouldn't be. (It only happened once.)

The first leg took me two hours. :v:

Newbie progress pics! We demand them! :colbert:

Just take your time with it. Once you grasp the basics, future kits will go way faster, and you won't do anything silly like cutting off connection pegs. ;)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll put up a pic when it's finished, sometime next week probably. :v:

Question, I fancy a larger Gundam X kit but all the 1/100 scale ones look like they're super old kits, are any of them worth it since they're pretty cheap though?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll put up a pic when it's finished, sometime next week probably. :v:

Question, I fancy a larger Gundam X kit but all the 1/100 scale ones look like they're super old kits, are any of them worth it since they're pretty cheap though?

The 1/100 Gundam X kits are not worth the money and have archaic proportions, detail and articulation by today's standards. You'd be better off getting the 1/144 HG kits, including the new Double X which comes out in October: http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/08/hgaw-gundam-double-x-on-display-c3-x.html

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

As a massive, massive fan of Gundam X who would be willing to deal with literal poo poo if it meant having a good kit of my favorite designs... I can't in all good faith recommend them. They capture the look well enough, and the old HG 1/100s were kind of alright (at least in comparison to the old 1/144s), but they are absolutely terrible in every other way. Balance is shoddy (especially on stuff like the X Divider), articulation is poor, tons of colors are missing (the HG Double X in particular has completely white weapons), and a lot of the accessories are flat out too heavy for the joints to support. The recent HGAWs are better in literally every single way.

With that said, if you're willing to put a ton of work into them they can make great display pieces (especially the Gundam X/Double X; their wings are chromed, not stickers!). As you've mentioned they're pretty cheap, and since the odds of a Gundam X MG are laughable at best they really are your only shot at a 1/100 Gundam X kit.

EDIT: Also if you do get them, I hope you like panel lining because ahahahahahahaha wow those things would make Katoki blush.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 11, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I have the 1/100 Gundam X. It's not completely awful, but it did take a lot of work. I'm reasonably happy with the Satellite Cannon and the other chrome parts, and I think the GX fares better than most since it only has one accessory. All it REALLY needs are some custom hands, imo. Honestly I think it's worth the extremely low price you'd pay for it.

EDIT: dug out an old pic of it from just after I started working on it. All I'd done at this point is painted the blue+red (with a brush :hurr: ). But it's a fairly close representation of what it'd look like as a straight build:

Don't have this GX any more sadly, sold it to a friend who was desperate for a good model of it. It really doesn't look too bad, arm movement is good, leg movement is terrible and even worse than the MG Unicorn, but luckily I only ever wanted to put it in this pose so I wasn't bothered. Ankles have good movement range. By far the hardest part of this build was sealing the leg seams, you basically have to recreate the panel lines afterwards with a craft knife, and it will never look that good.

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 11, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Three hours later:

Obviously haven't done anything to it yet, other than snap it together and go welp that's done. Only bit I really messed up were the small panels on the front, they weren't quite trimmed down enough and kinda smooshed into the dark red bit. In a brief nod to customisation I also Gundam markered in the red mono-eye instead of using the rage inducingly small sticker the instructions suggested. That's about as fancy as it gets for now. :v: Definitely need to do panel lines, just not sure whether to go :effort: everything black or do the darker shades of the same colour thing.

Thanks for the advice on the 1/100 Gundam X's think I'll just stick to the HG's for now, not sure I can put in enough effort to make it worth bothering.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try brown for the panel lines.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Oh dear, I think I'm having the hankering for gunpla again.

In my teenage years, I built (and hosed up) a bunch of Wing\HGUC\80's kits, then by college I had graduated to MGs and figured out to make them half decent.

Right now I don't really have the time\space\money for a huge collection of MGs, so I think I'm going to return to my roots of HGUC. I'm also thinking of trying to level myself up and learn how to use an airbrush rather than using Gundam markers panel lines, some drybushing for weathering and spraying 'em with clear coat to give 'em a matte finish, so if I gently caress up some HG, no big deal.

Plus, I love a lot of obscure designs that'll never show up in MG, like the Hygogg, Zaku I Sniper, Guncannon Mass Production type, and some weird suits from Zeta.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well you're coming back to HG Gundam at a good time. Bandai is doing the "All Gundam Project", which involves doing HGs of all the lead Gundam suits, including Wing, Double X, Victory, F91, etc.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

Well you're coming back to HG Gundam at a good time. Bandai is doing the "All Gundam Project", which involves doing HGs of all the lead Gundam suits, including Wing, Double X, Victory, F91, etc.

I must actively block out all HG news, but this sounds interesting. Which kits have been released so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I must actively block out all HG news, but this sounds interesting. Which kits have been released so far?

None; the first will be out by the end of the year.

EDIT: First post on next page has better information.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 12, 2013

• Locked thread