Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I hope they release Fright Night. Because that needs to be available. I looked it up one day to discover that the existing Fright Night blu-ray sells for upwards of 200 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I hope they release Fright Night. Because that needs to be available. I looked it up one day to discover that the existing Fright Night blu-ray sells for upwards of 200 dollars.

It's one of those Twilight Time deals. After seeing what they were willing to accept for a transfer on the Night of the Living Dead 1990 blu ray I don't think it's worth the price their discs go for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

It's one of those Twilight Time deals. After seeing what they were willing to accept for a transfer on the Night of the Living Dead 1990 blu ray I don't think it's worth the price their discs go for.

I wouldn't actually pay that much for a blu-ray disc anyway. Plus I'm sure that if I wait long enough someone else will release it.

edit: Speaking of horror movies. I noticed that Anchor Bay is putting out a new Halloween (1978) blu-ray. Does anyone know anything more about this? Is it a new transfer or anything? Anchor Bay actually put out the previous release of Halloween and they did a really good job with it, so basically I wanted to know if it's worth the double dip.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 28, 2013

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

CPL593H posted:

edit: Speaking of horror movies. I noticed that Anchor Bay is putting out a new Halloween (1978) blu-ray. Does anyone know anything more about this? Is it a new transfer or anything? Anchor Bay actually put out the previous release of Halloween and they did a really good job with it, so basically I wanted to know if it's worth the double dip.

It's a new transfer, I believe supervised by the director of photography, and also has a bunch of new extras, including a recently recorded commentary track by Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis. I've bought Halloween at least 13 times since the VHS days, so what's another $22? It's one of my favorite movies.

Details on the new edition. New transfer supervised by Dean Cundey (cinematographer)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11729

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 28, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ultraviolence123 posted:

It's a new transfer, I believe supervised by the director of photography, and also has a bunch of new extras, including a recently recorded commentary track by Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis. I've bought Halloween at least 13 times since the VHS days, so what's another $22? It's one of my favorite movies.

Alright, thanks. My primary concern is always the strength of the video transfer.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Scream announced Night of the Demons and Witchboard.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Looks like the iTunes-exclusive Star Trek Into Darkness commentary may be available through the enclosed Digital Download code with the Blu-ray set.

Edit: Confirmed.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 29, 2013

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Looks like the iTunes-exclusive Star Trek Into Darkness commentary may be available through the enclosed Digital Download code with the Blu-ray set.

How does that work? Is it an MP3 that I have to sync up with my Blu-ray somehow? Because I'm avoiding this poo poo like the plague if I'm expected to install iTunes or DRMLocker or whatever bullshit they expect people to bend over and take for the privilege of worse quality video and lossy audio.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The commentary is not audio-only; there is a bunch of on-screen stuff happening to go with it, and the running time is not the same as the final film. A sync-watch won't help you with this one.

It's also the only place (outside of the German release, I think) to find the IMAX version of the film, with the shifting aspect ratio.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Olive Films announced their tentative 2014 releases from the Republic library.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12022

Highlights:

Two more volumes of Betty Boop cartoons
J'accuse! (1938, Abel Gance - his sound remake of his silent film)
The Stationmaster's Wife (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
Caught (Max Ophuls)
The Pawnbroker (Sidney Lumet)
I've Always Loved You (Frank Borzage)
Operation Petticoat (Blake Edwards)
Sands of Iwo Jima (Allan Dwan)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (Freddie Francis)
Outrage (Ida Lupino)

I'm not incredibly familiar with the Republic library, but this pretty much finishes the catalog except for the serials, the rest of the Fleischer cartoons (Olive is allegedly passing on the public domain shorts and only releasing the 49 Betty Boops still under copyright), and a handful they can't find usable film elements for.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Aatrek posted:

The only way to watch it in any kind of good quality and sound is to have apple tv or have a computer connected to my home theater then?

They can still bite me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Egbert Souse posted:

Olive Films announced their tentative 2014 releases from the Republic library.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12022

Highlights:

Two more volumes of Betty Boop cartoons
J'accuse! (1938, Abel Gance - his sound remake of his silent film)
The Stationmaster's Wife (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
Caught (Max Ophuls)
The Pawnbroker (Sidney Lumet)
I've Always Loved You (Frank Borzage)
Operation Petticoat (Blake Edwards)
Sands of Iwo Jima (Allan Dwan)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (Freddie Francis)
Outrage (Ida Lupino)

I'm not incredibly familiar with the Republic library, but this pretty much finishes the catalog except for the serials, the rest of the Fleischer cartoons (Olive is allegedly passing on the public domain shorts and only releasing the 49 Betty Boops still under copyright), and a handful they can't find usable film elements for.

Home of the Brave is a great under-appreciated war film on that list. 1949, it's about a black man who has a nervous breakdown in WWII, not from the stress of combat but from the stress of racism. Anthony Mann's Men in War is great, too. Angry Steel Helmet-esque Korean War drama.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ApexAftermath posted:

The only way to watch it in any kind of good quality and sound is to have apple tv or have a computer connected to my home theater then?

They can still bite me.

Here's my full review:

TrekCore's INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray review: "...the most confusing, exploitative release ever"

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 30, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Holy poo poo. Into Darkness just can't not be plagued with cheap rear end in a top hat committee decisions, huh?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

That was beautifully brutal. :drat:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No way in hell will I buy any version. gently caress that poo poo.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

So buy it on iTunes and just wait until all the docs are on YouTube? Can do.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Bleak House dropped down to $12.95 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P7YDA0...2V7XGT7M74HNRCQ

Good price if you dig those BBC miniseries.

Also 4 Westerns (Butch & Sundance: The Early Days/The Last Hard Men/Rio Conchos/Take a Hard Ride) for $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C81AW8E...VZSWAB9P565XSFQ

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

zenintrude posted:

Apparently if it's not a Platinum Diamond Jubilee Edition, Disney couldn't give a gently caress.

Although now that I think about it, Pete's Dragon did please me... so I honestly have no idea what's going on.

That's not cool. Any reviews on "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh"? :ohdear:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I've been waiting for The Muppet Movie to be released on Blu Ray for ages, and now it finally has. Does anybody know if it's region free?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's the breakdown on all of those retailer-exclusive STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS bonus features.

We'll cover the iTunes commentary in a separate report.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Creature posted:

I've been waiting for The Muppet Movie to be released on Blu Ray for ages, and now it finally has. Does anybody know if it's region free?

From what I'm seeing, it is not. Which is a drat shame because I want it too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Seems to be pretty good. The live action bookends are grain blasted to smudges, but the animation is at least as intact as The Aristocats or Robin Hood. No original mono, but the extra short is full HD.

Professor Clumsy posted:

From what I'm seeing, it is not. Which is a drat shame because I want it too.

Blu-ray.com says its region free.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-ray.com says its region free.

In that case, I will it make it mine.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The HD remastered Gulliver's Travels from Thunderbean is up for preorder on amazon.

For reference, it's a new HD master created from original 35mm nitrate Technicolor prints and manually cleaned of dirt and scratches. You can see screenshots from before restoration here;
http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/fleischer-fun-part-2-gullivers-travels-and-modeling-restored/#prettyphoto[5213]/8/

The earlier release by Koch Vision was literally a 1080p upscale from a VHS source run blasted with DVNR.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 3, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Simple reminder that Blu-Ray is the best thing to happen to obscure movies ever...

(the old dvd vs the new german blu-ray of Sieben Sommersprossen)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So here's the deal with that Star Trek Into Darkness iTunes-only commentary: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/09/into-darkness-exclusives-part-ii-itunes-extras-enhanced-commentary/

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Good God, the Oblivion BR looks and sounds fantastic. It's refreshing to be truly awed by a new release's quality.

I mean, look at these drat screenshots: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Oblivion-Blu-ray/63492/#Screenshots

edit: Is there something about Tom Cruise sci-fi films that lends to great Blu-Rays? Minority Report is pretty much reference-quality as well.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

dreadnought posted:

edit: Is there something about Tom Cruise sci-fi films that lends to great Blu-Rays? Minority Report is pretty much reference-quality as well.

War of the Worlds makes my AV reciever turn off if I play it even a decent level. It's worth it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So they're releasing Freaked on blu-ray. The one of you who knows what I'm talking about will probably appreciate this.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

CPL593H posted:

So they're releasing Freaked on blu-ray. The one of you who knows what I'm talking about will probably appreciate this.

I saw the DVD when someone traded it in at the store like a year ago. I never watched it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Scream Factory is releasing a double feature of Visiting Hours and Bad Dreams in early 2014.

CPL593H posted:

They played it like a million loving times on either HBO or Cinemax when I was a kid. And I watched it almost every time.

Doesn't hold up but it's still kinda funny.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 5, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CPL593H posted:

I thought I was alone in liking this movie, but I'm not sure if I want to shell out for an upgrade from a really nice DVD release.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

gently caress yes, Redline just arrived in the mail today! :dance:

Has Stereo and 5.1 dubs for both English and Japanese.
Two making of guides, and the trailer.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mister Macys posted:

gently caress yes, Redline just arrived in the mail today! :dance:

Has Stereo and 5.1 dubs for both English and Japanese.
Two making of guides, and the trailer.

It makes for an amazing double feature with Speed Racer, assuming you can handle all the sensory information. It's pretty much the cinematic equivalent of eating an entire Halloween's worth of candy at once.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

CPL593H posted:

It does hold up AFTER Ricky gets mutated. Before that can drag a bit.

I love this movie.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

It makes for an amazing double feature with Speed Racer, assuming you can handle all the sensory information. It's pretty much the cinematic equivalent of eating an entire Halloween's worth of candy at once.

Yeah, I streamed it (Redline) a month ago, and it couldn't handle the bitrate. :kamina:
Also, I had only my TV's poo poo speakers. Now I have decent poo poo. The first race just finished and the Robot World President is going all Ted Cruz as we speak.

I don't know if it's just me, but I got Heavy Metal (OG + 2000) vibes from it the first time.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 5, 2013

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If you still have the Out of Print Freaked Anchor Bay DVD, you might want to hold onto it because none of the features were ported over.

And I think every gloriously stupid moment holds up.

EDIT: I dream of the day The Dark Backward gets an upgrade to Blu and I can do the most super niche double-bill.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 5, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I dream of the day The Dark Backward gets an upgrade to Blu and I can do the most super niche double-bill.

We would be good friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

caligulamprey posted:

EDIT: I dream of the day The Dark Backward gets an upgrade to Blu and I can do the most super niche double-bill.

I watched this with a friend, which consisted of me laughing my rear end off and him just staring at me. What a wonderful movie.

• Locked thread