Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Well you see :30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux: and then it won't happen again for a week or so, if you're lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The price of a new emoticon is 30bux. I can imagine one use: "haha, you spent :30bux: on a useless emoticon, :30bux:, you stupid idiot"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, I guess it could come in handy if you were having an intense discussion about 2001: A Space Odyssey. :shrug:

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I mean, I guess it could come in handy if you were having an intense discussion about 2001: A Space Odyssey. :shrug:

:worship: :30bux:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
If anyone is wondering, the guys from the Gunnerkrigg court thread recently bought :smugjones:.
It's also the perfect emoticon for being absolutely unimpressed. :geno: signalises pure neutrality.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OK, what thread bought :itwaspoo:?

Also,

Gamma Nerd posted:

I think DStecks bought [:stonklol:]

Yup.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DStecks posted:

Also,

Yup.

I'm guessing AusPol.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:itwaspoo: is an AusPol thing I believe, it was discussed a handful of pages ago.

edit: Looking back, apparently it wasn't in this thread? gently caress, where did I see it then?

edit edit: vvvv I misjudged how fast the thread moves okay, it's not my fault :(

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Sep 10, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
It's literally on the previous page you idiot.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

CJacobs posted:

:itwaspoo: is an AusPol thing I believe, it was discussed a handful of pages ago.

edit: Looking back, apparently it wasn't in this thread? gently caress, where did I see it then?

edit edit: vvvv I misjudged how fast the thread moves okay, it's not my fault :(

How could it not be your fault? I'm not even mad I just wonder what thought process leads you to think you can dodge the idiot sticker for this one. It's ok, we all get sticker'd sometimes.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Hey can someone explain why some peoples avatars are blue and pink? You see, I'm functionally retarded and can't be arsed to read a page back.

I also bought :stonkhat: because I have too much money in my bank account and wanted to waste it on the shitiest smilies.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

CGA supremacy bihthtcthctchthtcth.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Mogambo posted:

Hey can someone explain why some peoples avatars are blue and pink? You see, I'm functionally retarded and can't be arsed to read a page back.

It was a shortlived YOSPOS fad where everybody made CGA coloured avs.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Call Now posted:

It's literally on the previous page you idiot.

Holy gently caress, how did I miss that?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DStecks posted:

Also,

Yup.

I'm guessing AusPol.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
DStecks, that one smilie comes from the auspol thread, hope this helps you out. :stonkhat:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
phiz being brought up in the ban thread made me wonder: Why was phiz renamed entertainment weakly?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

It is a funny name, you see

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
:psyberger:

Who the gently caress though this was a good idea?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

SAS, apparently. That's supposed to be a Psyduck wearing a football helmet, but it looks more like someone gave it a toupee and put a rubber band on its beak. I think the explanation was posted earlier in the thread.

In any case, what's :goonboot: all about?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
There was a thread where you could send in custom designs for shoes and goons had fun with it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I thought the :psyberger: one was a psyduck with Asperger's. :psyberger:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I thought the :psyberger: one was a psyduck with Asperger's. :psyberger:

Well it's a Steelers smiley so both are right.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Peanut President posted:

There was a thread where you could send in custom designs for shoes and goons had fun with it.

It was a contest by, I believe Doc Martend, where a team of designers would choose one boot & a second would be chosen by the internet. They would then be available to buy. We got the top 3 slots, and the first two got nixed by copyrighted images, but the third was a picture of a goon's snowy backyard & an MSPaint penguin. Some people bought them I guess?

The company rep came into the thread and was pretty chill about his contest being goonrushed.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

NuclearPotato posted:

In any case, what's :goonboot: all about?

The SAclopedia explains all, my nuclear sibling. EDIT: ^^^ So does that poster.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Hello thread, there are several smilies on the list which I made myself, so I thought I would post about them to clear up some mysteries about their origins!

:doom: and :spidey: were made during the early days of Batman's Shameful Secret, among others that did not make the cut. I did not buy either of them! I don't know who did. The first one is Doctor Doom cursing out his eternal nemesis, Reed Richards. The second is Spider-Man's spidey-sense tingling. I always thought that the spidey-sense one would catch on more, but Doom seems crazy popular in comparison.

I also made :hulk: by editing :ssj: but that was either deleted shortly after, or never bought, I can't remember which.

:george: was made years ago in 2005 (according to the date on the image in my big ol' smilies folder) for the then-latest Gorgeous George thread in GBS. I edited :btroll: and posted the result for a laugh, then it was either bought or one of the GBS mods put it in the list. Either way I was kind of surprised since I didn't really intend for it to be used.

As a brief aside, there used to be a smiley called :pwnonk: which was a mixture of :pwn: and :gonk: that looked like this: . I believe the forums are a little poorer for its loss, 'cause Goddamn I love the expression on that li'l guy.

:ohdear: I made around 2007-ish, as part of a selection of smilies based off the SA template: :silent:

I called it "anxious" and it went with a bunch of others. For example: thoughtful, pensive, depressed, nostalgic, impressed, smug. There's about a half-dozen more, not including the "original set" of smilies like :) and :(

I have honestly no idea how it ended up on SA because I cannot recall one instance of me ever posting it here. But I could have, and just forgotten I did.

:rolldice: came fairly recently after I got involved in the Traditional Games subforum. It is someone petulantly rolling dice, which is the way a lot of people roll dice. I also have a smug counterpart:

About the same time I also made but a smiley to show one's appreciation for beat poetry is apparently too niche for some people's tastes.

That's all I have to contribute, hope it helped with anyone's questions.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

I think the strangest thing about this one is that some people see the hands as huge buck teeth.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

As a brief aside, there used to be a smiley called :pwnonk: which was a mixture of :pwn: and :gonk: that looked like this: . I believe the forums are a little poorer for its loss, 'cause Goddamn I love the expression on that li'l guy.

Holy poo poo, I love it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like nostalgic, it looks like a level before :allears:

How new is :okpos: ? I remember saving this from a thread a few months ago.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Yonic Symbolism posted:

phiz being brought up in the ban thread made me wonder: Why was phiz renamed entertainment weakly?
it was mostly because while phiz is a fun acronym, "pretentious hipster irony zone" led people to come in and make really stupid/bad jokes about "pretentious" "hipsters"

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
It turns out all the smilies on http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=showsmilies have mouse-over text. :30bux: claims to be "2001 Monolith".

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

het posted:

it was mostly because while phiz is a fun acronym, "pretentious hipster irony zone" led people to come in and make really stupid/bad jokes about "pretentious" "hipsters"

It was actually much better then, like you know before it was cool.

Scoff.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Livingtrope posted:

:psyberger:

Who the gently caress though this was a good idea?

It was a reference to an image of Ben Roethlisberger making an incredibly close approximation to the psyduck face.

This thread always makes me think about the fact that I bought :respek: like 5 years ago on essentially a dare and got made fun of for it, but people still seem to use it. Thanks, people who need knucks in their posts. :unsmith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No problem, buddy :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Ben Roethlisberger dot jpg

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

m2pt5 posted:

I think the strangest thing about this one is that some people see the hands as huge buck teeth.

I've also been told it looks like spider mandibles, but I guess I can't really see it as anything but hands.

ToxicFrog posted:

Holy poo poo, I love it.

Try :pwnonkicide: then

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fuego Fish posted:

Try :pwnonkicide: then

It needs to fall forward more. Looks like he's just stopped half-way.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

I like nostalgic, it looks like a level before :allears:

How new is :okpos: ? I remember saving this from a thread a few months ago.

I was there when :okpos: was made! It was the weed megathread from a year and a half to two years ago. There was a guy, okposocalypse or something, who would show up every couple pages and make the most incomprehensible posts about how high he was at the moment or various weed-related topics.
I'm not sure he realized how out of it he was but every time he decided to communicate a thought, between deciding to post and typing his words out everything went horribly amazingly wrong. Everyone looked up to him, wishing we could be more like him. He was crowned the highest person ever and someone made the emote to celebrate.

Jinh has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Sep 16, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

West Ham Sandwich posted:

It was a reference to an image of Ben Roethlisberger making an incredibly close approximation to the psyduck face.

This thread always makes me think about the fact that I bought :respek: like 5 years ago on essentially a dare and got made fun of for it, but people still seem to use it. Thanks, people who need knucks in their posts. :unsmith:

Wasn't that fist bump one a part of the weird BYOB fad of buying smilies at the slightest provocation? I remember people talking about wanting to make modular smilies by buying parts so you could do things like

:f5h::clint::hf::shobon::fh:

if you, for some reason, felt the need? I remember seeing them crop up but I just forgot what the whole list of them was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wasn't that fist bump one a part of the weird BYOB fad of buying smilies at the slightest provocation? I remember people talking about wanting to make modular smilies by buying parts so you could do things like

:f5h::clint::hf::shobon::fh:

if you, for some reason, felt the need? I remember seeing them crop up but I just forgot what the whole list of them was.

As was pointed out many pages back, the dumbest of all of these has to be :phoneline: whose sole purpose is to connect :phoneb: to :phone:

Observe:

:phoneb::phoneline::phone:

And I think :razz: only exists so that this can happen: :iamafag::hf::razz:

Nelson MandEULA has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Sep 16, 2013