Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bolek posted:

What are you referring to here specifically?

"Don't get addicted to drugs because it is bad for you" is creepy regressive politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP
Requiem is based on a book anyway?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

the monkey scene.

Precisely where I shut it off. I'd watch The Rock kick rear end all day long but I can't loving stand the awful comedy bits in that movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Chichevache posted:

Tambor is in this? I'm sold.

Don't do it, you have so much to live for!

weekly font posted:

I've never seen a movie that muddled its messages so much. Advertising is bad so kill it with advertising (until there is no more advertising?). Stalin was the first advertiser but advertisement breeds capitalism! I might have some of this wrong but it was without a shadow of a doubt the most baffling film I've ever seen in so many ways. Also one of the worst edited. Also LeeLee Sobieski.

And oh my god Max von Sydow's last scene. :lol:

I love how the protagonist and Max von Sydow never meet. It's such a baffling film that it never should have existed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I know it's been up for a while, but Sherlock is an amazing show. More shows should get a feature-length slot to tell a story.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

"Don't get addicted to drugs because it is bad for you" is creepy regressive politics

Drug addiction isn't bad for you?

That aside, Aronofsky has talked at lenght about how he didn't consider Requiem a drug addict movie. Rather it's an addiction movie, whether that addiction is to heroin, TV or hope is besides the point.

Darren Aronofsky posted:

What Selby is saying is that anything can be a drug -- it doesn't have to be smack. It could be TV, it can be coffee, it can be chocolate, it can be food, it can be hope, it could be love, it could be sex. The idea that the same inner monologue goes through a person's head when they're trying quit drugs as with cigarettes, as when they're trying to not eat food so they can lose 20 pounds, was really fascinating to me. I thought it was an idea that we hadn't seen on film and I wanted to bring it up on the screen.

...In a lot of ways, we looked at "Requiem for a Dream" as a monster movie. The creature was invisible; it lived in their heads. Addiction. That's the human struggle. All of us have our addictions, whether it's procrastination or workaholism or TV -- we're constantly dealing with that struggle.

Anyone who hasn't seen Requiem before, it's totally worth a watch, and his camerawork and editing chops are on full, stellar display. The movie is excellent, and worth your time. You just will not ever want to watch it again.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 5, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone who hasn't seen Requiem before, it's totally worth a watch, and his camerawork and editing chops are on full, stellar display. The movie is excellent, and worth your time. You just will not ever want to watch it again.
Unless you're me :unsmigghh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I knew a few people in High School that said they had watched RfaD over and over again and I just couldn't wrap my head around anyone wanting to do that. When I saw it I thought it was a good movie, but never before had I ever wanted to rewatch a movie less.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I gave this a shot today, and... it's not that fun. It's definitely not a bad movie. It's entertaining for the most part, the Rock and Christopher Walken are perfect for their roles (Walken's tooth fairy speech made the movie worthwhile), and Rosario Dawson and Sean William Scott hold her own. But dear god, the comic relief bits with Scott are just bad. They drag the whole thing down. If Beavis and Butt-head weren't fictional characters, I'd swear they wrote the monkey scene.

This was the first movie I've seen the Rock in since Be Cool, and if those two are any indication he's a surprisingly good actor. I might have to give Walking Tall a shot now.

I would describe The Rock as the only one earnestly acting in movies where everyone else is phoning it in for a paycheck. I think it pays off, because he's awesome in Pain & Gain (which is $4.99 on Amazon streaming.)

E: New episodes of The League!

red19fire fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 5, 2013

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Egbert Souse posted:

I know it's been up for a while, but Sherlock is an amazing show. More shows should get a feature-length slot to tell a story.

I watched Sherlock a second time, and probably a third soon. I'm surprised how easily I was hooked and never bored. Can't wait for the 3rd season. gently caress,it's taking so long.

And I agree with that,I stopped watching Supernatural since like episode 5 once I saw how many season I had left, and how many episodes had each season.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I'm glad to see people not liking Requiem for a Dream in here. There was a time when people would look at me like I had a dick growing out of my head when I said it wasn't very good. It's way too on-the-nose. It's like watching a modern version of Reefer Madness (and yes I know it's not solely about drug addiction).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Think of the final scene/shot of The Wrestler, and imagine if the movie just spelled out exactly what happens after the fade-to-black instead of simply heavily implying it. That's what the ending sequence of Requiem for a Dream does, three times simultaneously. That, and none of the characters are given an "out", bad poo poo simply happens because of their respective addictions. The Ram could've retired at any time, he had a choice to leave the business. It actually gives the final scene in the film some weight. With Requiem you feel bad for the people, but the entire film is just a gauntlet of progressively more-depressing ordeals being thrust upon them and their agency is taken away.

I guess for me it felt like watching Irreversible but in chronological order.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 6, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Drug addiction isn't bad for you?

Sorry, I meant that as sarcasm. I like the movie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mike Birbiglia's new stand-up/storytelling hour, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, is up on Netflix, and if you liked Sleepwalk With Me, even a little bit, you'll certainly like this one. It's just as fantastic.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sweet, going to check that out later.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Pierat posted:

Requiem is based on a book anyway?

This is more what I was getting at.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

I've never seen a movie that muddled its messages so much. Advertising is bad so kill it with advertising (until there is no more advertising?). Stalin was the first advertiser but advertisement breeds capitalism! I might have some of this wrong but it was without a shadow of a doubt the most baffling film I've ever seen in so many ways. Also one of the worst edited. Also LeeLee Sobieski.

And oh my god Max von Sydow's last scene. :lol:

Well, I am gonna defend it here - the lead character (I couldn't tell you what his name was) seems to understand that he can only think of things in terms of advertising not only because of his profession but because his life is inundated with the stuff, which is why he makes a clean break. Everything after that, you're kind of on your own.

Bolek posted:

What are you referring to here specifically?

I gotta think it's an off-handed reference to:

http://exiledonline.com/david-foster-wallace-portrait-of-an-infinitely-limited-mind/

And nothing in modern US literature comes closer to ICP than Selby’s Requiem for a Dream, a sadistic 280-page Chick tract disguised as an avant-garde heroin novel. In his ‘99 preface, Selby attacks what he calls “the Great American Dream,” the evil, illusory pursuit of pleasure and possessions that “ultimately… destroys everything and everyone involved with it.” This is the novel’s Puritan core – all ‘worldly’ pleasures are false and drugs always lead to the worst fate imaginable. Requiem has an Evangelical stink right from the schmaltzy dedication page: “This book is dedicated, with love, to Bobby, who has found the only pound of pure – Faith in a Loving God.”

Selby also plucks an epigraph from the book of Psalms (“Except the LORD build the house, they labor in vain that build it…”) just to drive home the (Calvinist) point that human beings can’t do anything for themselves without a Higher Power. He illustrates this by shifting the narrative between four characters: a junkie named Harry, his token black friend Tyrone, his Jewish mother Sara, and his model girlfriend Marion. I guess this is meant to show that addiction is a universal condition, affecting all the Unsaved: young and old, male and female, Jew and gentile, black and white. (Except it’s not true – few things are more relevant to the consequences of drug use than money and skin colour; sometimes they’re more relevant than the drug itself.)

While Harry and Friends are feeding their smack addictions, the mother starts amphetamines to drop a few kilos, convinced she’ll soon appear on a game show. Within three months, she loses her mind, undergoes ECT (an extremely unlikely treatment for speed psychosis, even in the 70s) and spends the end of the book as a drooling vegetable. Meanwhile, Harry’s girlfriend Marion suffers a fate worse than death. (Having to work for a living, basically.) As for Harry himself, he loses an arm. Darren Aronofsky, who directed the film version, calls this “a very traditional heroin story.” No, Darren, it’s a loving depressing heroin story! What kind of sick gently caress would write a novel about a one-armed junkie? An Evangelical, that’s who.

and so on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 5, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

This is an interesting read, but I sort of feel bad for someone that can spit venom for that long.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah it is insanely bilous and is almost my exact reaction. Glazov (and Yasha Levine and Mark Ames) are all good writers but sometimes you want to tell them to have a cup of tea and relax for two seconds.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, I am gonna defend it here - the lead character (I couldn't tell you what his name was) seems to understand that he can only think of things in terms of advertising not only because of his profession but because his life is inundated with the stuff, which is why he makes a clean break. Everything after that, you're kind of on your own.

I gotta think it's an off-handed reference to:

http://exiledonline.com/david-foster-wallace-portrait-of-an-infinitely-limited-mind/

And nothing in modern US literature comes closer to ICP than Selby’s Requiem for a Dream, a sadistic 280-page Chick tract disguised as an avant-garde heroin novel. In his ‘99 preface, Selby attacks what he calls “the Great American Dream,” the evil, illusory pursuit of pleasure and possessions that “ultimately… destroys everything and everyone involved with it.” This is the novel’s Puritan core – all ‘worldly’ pleasures are false and drugs always lead to the worst fate imaginable. Requiem has an Evangelical stink right from the schmaltzy dedication page: “This book is dedicated, with love, to Bobby, who has found the only pound of pure – Faith in a Loving God.”

Selby also plucks an epigraph from the book of Psalms (“Except the LORD build the house, they labor in vain that build it…”) just to drive home the (Calvinist) point that human beings can’t do anything for themselves without a Higher Power. He illustrates this by shifting the narrative between four characters: a junkie named Harry, his token black friend Tyrone, his Jewish mother Sara, and his model girlfriend Marion. I guess this is meant to show that addiction is a universal condition, affecting all the Unsaved: young and old, male and female, Jew and gentile, black and white. (Except it’s not true – few things are more relevant to the consequences of drug use than money and skin colour; sometimes they’re more relevant than the drug itself.)

While Harry and Friends are feeding their smack addictions, the mother starts amphetamines to drop a few kilos, convinced she’ll soon appear on a game show. Within three months, she loses her mind, undergoes ECT (an extremely unlikely treatment for speed psychosis, even in the 70s) and spends the end of the book as a drooling vegetable. Meanwhile, Harry’s girlfriend Marion suffers a fate worse than death. (Having to work for a living, basically.) As for Harry himself, he loses an arm. Darren Aronofsky, who directed the film version, calls this “a very traditional heroin story.” No, Darren, it’s a loving depressing heroin story! What kind of sick gently caress would write a novel about a one-armed junkie? An Evangelical, that’s who.

and so on.

Pretty much. Glazov is way over the top there, and it's not that Requiem is a bad film all in all - it certainly looks great, at least. But it's like the definition of specious - it seems totally with it, until you think for a few seconds and realize it's just a drug PSA filmed by a brilliant director. By comparison to his other films, it's an absurd and laughable waste of his talents. Ames and Levine are now writing/editing for nsfwcorp, by the way, which has been pretty great so far.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Interestingly, Aronofsky went on a decade later to make anti-meth PSAs and they are mini-horror movies. He has a talent for it, that's for sure.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
He must have been insufferable to know at school:

-Hey Glazov what'd you think of that assembly we had about drugs?
-I'm sick of these crypto-calvinist pigs coming here with their anti-drug propaganda.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Yeah it is insanely bilous and is almost my exact reaction. Glazov (and Yasha Levine and Mark Ames) are all good writers but sometimes you want to tell them to have a cup of tea and relax for two seconds.

Did you read his screed against David Foster Wallace?

Interestingly, Aronofsky went on a decade later to make anti-meth PSAs and they are mini-horror movies. He has a talent for it, that's for sure.
He has an amazing talent for schlock. His career is basically that. Schlock refined to a mirror sheen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bolek posted:

Yeah, that's what I linked, he starts freewheeling a bit like four thousand words in.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Hahah:doh:, so that's why it seemed familiar. Maybe I'll click the link next time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bolek posted:

It's the same article.

efb

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Requiem failed for me because it seems like Aronofsky went into it with nothing more to say than "addiction can develop around many things and only leads to pain." It had almost no emotional impact because there's nothing to the characters besides their addictions. The only impression you have through the whole film is that you're watching a director/writer beat up on some characters in whom neither he nor you have any investment because he thinks subjecting them to increasing pain and humiliation through the film will elicit an emotional response that will dispose you to his view rather than articulating anything insightful. The tract analogy works here. The problem is that since the film doesn't care about the characters except as vehicles for a message about addiction, they never become anything with enough dimension to have capacity for suffering, so what's occurring on the screen never resonates as actual suffering.

It's always surprised me that Requiem met with so much acclaim and The Fountain with so much criticism while they share many of the same flaws, though Fountain is in many ways a more interesting film because there is a genuine struggle, uncertainty and anxiety about the subject matter which Requiem lacks.

I agree with a few other posters that Aronofsky really found his post-Pi stride when he stopped trying to make ~a heartbreaking work of staggering genius~ and we got The Wrestler and Black Swan.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've found Aronofsky to be a filmmaker who does some of the best melodrama I've ever seen. He beats you over the head with the themes quite a bit and I enjoy every minute of it. I can't think of a movie of his I've disliked.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Breakfast All Day posted:

Requiem failed for me because it seems like Aronofsky went into it with nothing more to say than "addiction can develop around many things and only leads to pain." It had almost no emotional impact because there's nothing to the characters besides their addictions. The only impression you have through the whole film is that you're watching a director/writer beat up on some characters in whom neither he nor you have any investment because he thinks subjecting them to increasing pain and humiliation through the film will elicit an emotional response that will dispose you to his view rather than articulating anything insightful. The tract analogy works here. The problem is that since the film doesn't care about the characters except as vehicles for a message about addiction, they never become anything with enough dimension to have capacity for suffering, so what's occurring on the screen never resonates as actual suffering.

I've never seen Requiem, but this is spot-on one of my major criticisms of Funny Games only I've never been able to articulate it so succinctly.

Only it's especially terrible because we're supposed to feel bad watching the suffering of the non-characters, and then feel bad about ourselves in that we, the horror movie audience, wanted to see the suffering in the first place. Man, gently caress you Funny Games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My legit favorite thing about Aronofsky is he seems to make the same movie over and over again but it turns out completely differently every time. I really do mean that in the best possible way. Pi and Black swan being on my short list of favorite movies of all time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My biggest complaint about Funny Games was that it was boring as loving hell. Yeah director, I'm sure you're very meta, making the audience suffer through a 20 minute scene where nothing happens. Screw off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

My legit favorite thing about Aronofsky is he seems to make the same movie over and over again but it turns out completely differently every time. I really do mean that in the best possible way. Pi and Black swan being on my short list of favorite movies of all time.
Yeah, when I saw Black Swan in theaters, I loved realizing how many concepts used in that movie were already used in Pi (and probably Requiem, too), but they still felt fresh and different in Black Swan (despite simultaneously feeling familiar). Black Swan was a much more accessible movie and was seen by a much wider audience, so it's like all the people who saw it but never saw Pi or Requiem before it were still exposed to some of those same kinds of Aronofskyisms.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never seen Requiem, but this is spot-on one of my major criticisms of Funny Games only I've never been able to articulate it so succinctly.

Only it's especially terrible because we're supposed to feel bad watching the suffering of the non-characters, and then feel bad about ourselves in that we, the horror movie audience, wanted to see the suffering in the first place. Man, gently caress you Funny Games.

I hate this idea that we're complicit in the suffering of movie characters because a) complicit in what, exactly? They're fictional characters, we're supposed to feel for-real bad for making them suffer? Like if we weren't big meanies who watch movies for fun then these characters would be off in Movieland living happily ever after?

and b) we don't enjoy the suffering, we enjoy seeing the good guys victorious in the end. (Well, maybe not edgy internet commenters.) The suffering is a means to an end. Without the bad guys tormenting the good guys, there's nothing for the good guys to triumph over.

I guess if he was making a Jason movie or something where we just like seeing the dumb teenagers getting killed it would make more sense, but in a thriller-type movie like Funny Games we want to see Mel Gibson wriggle free and save his family and punish the bad guys. Or at the very least we want to see if he's going to be able to do it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I just don't get the PSA criticism. I mean, yeah, all those anti-drug assemblies you had in school sucked, that doesn't mean that anything which shows heroin use as negative is equivalent to Reefer Madness. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
But that was exactly the problem. Requiem said it in the same way as Reefer Madness but with auteur directing.

Anyway Breakfast All Day said it better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Monkeyseesaw posted:

But that was exactly the problem. Requiem said it in the same way as Reefer Madness but with auteur directing.

Except with actual characters and not-terrible pacing and good visuals and so on.

Have you actually seen Reefer Madness? It's mind-numbingly dull.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
But to be fair, Trainspotting was about how heroin abuse and addictive lifestyles are soul-sucking and destroy the lives of the users and everyone around them, and it handled it so much better than Requiem. It was also, in my opinion, a much better movie.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I love Pi and Black Swan, but I can't bring myself to watch Requiem for a Dream -- I've worked at, like, the heroin capital of the world for the last five years and watch people crumble into dust from visit to visit. I'm not sure I want to see Artist's Impression Of What Happens In Between Narcan Doses.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I only liked Funny Games for 2 reasons:

1. If you saw it with an audience in theaters, you got to watch a room full of people get extremely pissed off at a movie, which was hilarious. I've never seen a movie more dedicated to trolling it's audience.

2. Afterwards I was able describe it with the word "Brechtian", which for a brief moment meant I got some use out of my liberal arts degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just don't get the PSA criticism. I mean, yeah, all those anti-drug assemblies you had in school sucked, that doesn't mean that anything which shows heroin use as negative is equivalent to Reefer Madness. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

On the one hand, Requiem for a Dream is absolutely a cheap horrors-of-drugs melodrama. But I think there's a place for those, especially when they're shot, assembled and acted so well. I think people are going to be looking back on that movie as a landmark in editing for years and years.

• Locked thread