Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Call Me Charlie posted:

Scream Factory is releasing a double feature of Visiting Hours and Bad Dreams in early 2014.

If you like 80's slashers/thrillers this is a pretty good set. I especially like Bad Dreams, it reminds me of a more serious version of the third Nightmare on Elm Street movie. I have the DVD version of these that they released a few years ago, which is pretty decent quality already so I don't think I will bother upgrading, but assuming this set will be priced pretty cheap, I recommend it when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the original Dawn of the Dead out of print? I remember when you could buy it for like $5-12. I looked on Amazon the other day and it was listed for ~$25

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harlock posted:

Is the original Dawn of the Dead out of print? I remember when you could buy it for like $5-12. I looked on Amazon the other day and it was listed for ~$25

It's from a third-party seller on amazon right now, which is a good indication of having gone out of print. I had heard that it was a pretty poor transfer, and without the extras on the special edition dvd. Hopefully Shout Factory will do a special edition like they have for Day of the Dead.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The original Dawn has all the special features from the original special edition theatrical disc if I'm remembering correctly, but it's not the Ultimate Edition by any stretch -it's just the theatrical cut. I don't know if they could make it look any better, transfer-wise, though.

If you got a few bucks lying around, it's still worth it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Apparently, the Target version of Star Trek Into Darkness has the film on one disc, and all of the bonus features (including the store exclusives) on a second Blu-ray disc.

All of the other releases have the film and features sharing a disc, so the Target edition may actually have a better encode (less compression) than everybody else's release!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Scream Factory proves there is a God and he is full of love. This drops in December (click for big)...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Glamorama26 posted:

Scream Factory proves there is a God and he is full of love. This drops in December (click for big)...

Cool cover. That doesn't look like Frances McDormand at all, though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Glamorama26 posted:

Scream Factory proves there is a God and he is full of love
I just picked up Shout's solid MST3K Movie Blu-Ray.

Shout/Scream factory just knows exactly what needs to be done.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Glamorama26 posted:

Features? Liam Neeson/Sam Raimi commentary?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Scream Factory has been non-stop awesome and I have everything they've released, but the new artwork they insist on using is really awful. The Night of the Demons art they posted at their Facebook yesterday is just hideous. Thankfully, the Psycho sequels that come out shortly and Witchboard are using only the original poster art.

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 6, 2013

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Features? Liam Neeson/Sam Raimi commentary?

No one has a special features listing yet from what I've seen, but that would be glorious. Sadly, I'm guessing the chances are somewhere between "slim" and "none" of a Raimi/Neeson commentary.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Scream Factory has been non-stop awesome and I have everything they've released, but the new artwork they insist on using is really awful. The Night of the Demons art they posted at their Facebook yesterday is just hideous. Thankfully, the Psycho sequels that come out shortly and Witchboard are using only the original poster art only.

Oh God, that Night of the Demons work is just awful.

Still nice that the actual case has a reversible cover so that I can properly see the awesome original artwork of The Burning and not cartoon Cropsey vomiting a can of tomato soup into the pool or whatever the gently caress is going on in that thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Glamorama26 posted:

Dear god, yes!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

Scream Factory has been non-stop awesome and I have everything they've released, but the new artwork they insist on using is really awful. The Night of the Demons art they posted at their Facebook yesterday is just hideous. Thankfully, the Psycho sequels that come out shortly and Witchboard are using only the original poster art.

If their other releases are anything like They Live then the covers are reversible with the original poster on the flip side.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

If their other releases are anything like They Live then the covers are reversible with the original poster on the flip side.

Also, sometimes their covers are awesome:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It looks like Shout! is fixing the massive Bruce Lee collection set from looking at the Blu-Ray.com forums. Before it was pulled, early buyers and reviewers found that all the films appeared to be upscales of standard definition for some strange reason.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Also, sometimes their covers are awesome

Can't wait for the Vincent Price collection:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Intolerance is up for pre-order on Amazon. A bit pricey ($50 MSRP), but it's a 2-disc set.

Looks like the first disc would have the new 2K restoration with Carl Davis' orchestral score. It looks like they're including Griffith's "cut downs" from the film, The Mother and the Law and The Fall of Babylon as extras.

caligulamprey posted:

Arrow Films already released House of Usher in the UK and it looks amazing. Especially since most color films from 1959-1960 are in horrible condition due to the negative stock of the time having serious fading issues.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 6, 2013

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Here are the titles:
THE PIT & THE PENDULUM
THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH
THE HAUNTED PALACE
THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER
THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES
WITCHFINDER GENERAL

Only a little bit of crossover with the DVD set:
**Abominable Dr. Phibes
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
Tales of Terror
Twice Told Tales
Theater of Blood
Madhouse
**Witchfinder General

It's probably a rights issue, doesn't it seem like they could have replaced Phibes and Witchfinder with Tomb of Ligea and The Raven and make it a Poe/Corman/Price box set?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Price made a ton of movies at AIP, so they have enough for a few more sets.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Fleischer Classics featuring Gulliver's Travels pre-release offer is back at Amazon

quote:

PRE-RELEASE BACK BY DEMAND for an extra week. Please read the description carefully. This is a 'Pre-release' offer for Thunderbean's BluRay Gulliver's Travels and Fleischer Cartoon set, featuring eight classic Fleischer cartoons as well as an HD 35mm restoration of Fleischer's Gulliver's Travels. This pre-release is only available for about an extra week, and includes a special bonus- an original 35mm Technicolor film strip from Gulliver's Travels, from a good frames of a water damaged print of the film that was acquired while looking for the best footage for the set. The purchase of this pre-release will help to fund the completion of the set, likely sometime in November. The Technicolor film strip will be sent this next week. Thanks so much for the support of the animation community in the production of these collections of classic animation!

$22.99 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP3YMP2...Z9S8ZPRTD9SS1E1

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Man Shout! are great but my Blu Ray player packed in and now I have to get another chipped one just so I can play Region A titles (I'm in the UK). It totally sucks that I want to give them my money and I can't because right now I don't have anyway to play their discs. If I don't fork out for another player (And there's really no point since I have like 5 Region A titles) then anything they release is just greeted with a maddening shake of the head from me. gently caress coding.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Fleischer Classics featuring Gulliver's Travels pre-release offer is back at Amazon

$22.99 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP3YMP2...Z9S8ZPRTD9SS1E1

Why the hell hasn't there been a decent release of Max Fleischer's Superman?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Why the hell hasn't there been a decent release of Max Fleischer's Superman?

They're public domain and no one has taken the time to clean them up and put them out properly because there are so many releases of it that it would most likely get lost in the shuffle.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
BTW, the first shot of the Enterprise in this trailer is a CG replacement because the original footage was damaged. That's a great job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQGK3aF88QI&hd=1

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 7, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

They're public domain and no one has taken the time to clean them up and put them out properly because there are so many releases of it that it would most likely get lost in the shuffle.

Lame. If DC Comics sold it as some kind of special release I'm sure it would sell like gangbusters. DC is of course owned by Warner Bros. which is a big media company. So something like that wouldn't be out of the question.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hey Aatrek, I want to get one of the double episode TNG releases because I like Trek but can't afford the seasons. Which one is the best?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
"Unification" is only the third release so far - "The Best of Both Worlds" and "Redemption" have been released previously.

Each one is around $15 or so, so I'd start with BOBW, then the other if you have the spare cash. Keep in mind the bonus features (documentaries, gag reels, commentary tracks) on the feature-length Blu-rays are not included on the Season sets.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Aatrek posted:

"Unification" is only the third release so far - "The Best of Both Worlds" and "Redemption" have been released previously.

Each one is around $15 or so, so I'd start with BOBW, then the other if you have the spare cash. Keep in mind the bonus features (documentaries, gag reels, commentary tracks) on the feature-length Blu-rays are not included on the Season sets.

Sounds good. I forgot that a sampler disk had been released as well, so I might just pick that up instead.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The sampler disc actually has some problems - missing HD footage in one episode (later found for the season set), screwed up credits text, and no bonus features. It's not really worth the purchase at this point.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Aatrek posted:

The sampler disc actually has some problems - missing HD footage in one episode (later found for the season set), screwed up credits text, and no bonus features. It's not really worth the purchase at this point.

But doesn't it have the best version of one of the first season episodes, maybe the pilot? The complete 1st season release had a ton of audio problems, and I think even the fixed replacement discs weren't perfect in a few regards and the sampler disc remained the best representation of the pilot.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The pilot wasn't affected by any of the other issues with the S1 set.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Aatrek posted:

Oh, thanks for letting me know. I'm mostly just biding my time until DS9 gets a blu release, but I figure it can't hurt to support the current restoration project.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
gently caress. yeah.

quote:

Our Collector's Edition of CAT PEOPLE on Blu-ray is scheduled for Jan 2014 release and we already have a lot of amazing extras shot that we'll announce at a later date.

I'm probably the only person on Earth excited about this one but I can't wait to upgrade my HD-DVD.

also

:laugh:

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 8, 2013

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

gently caress. yeah.

I'm probably the only person on Earth excited about this one but I can't wait to upgrade my HD-DVD.

I actually quite like the remake of Cat People. We can totally do that knuckle bumping thing sometime.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Cat People... I remember something about a corkscrew in the eye?

What the hell am I thinking of?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A little off topic, but on the Disney Movie Club 'order commitments" for getting 6 movies for free, I have a question. How long does it take for a new commitment entry to show up? I just bought some movies with one being full price and they finally shipped, but it not showing the little stamp indicating the full price one counting.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So has there been any word on whether or not the new Akira blu-ray will have a transfer that's comparable to or better than the previous release?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The last transfer was really good, so I'd be even more impressed if it was better. I mean, that poo poo was reference quality right there. The colors, the sounds, the whole package. If they pull anything better, it's going to be worth some serious scratch.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

The last transfer was really good, so I'd be even more impressed if it was better. I mean, that poo poo was reference quality right there. The colors, the sounds, the whole package. If they pull anything better, it's going to be worth some serious scratch.

I know, I'm wondering if they're going to use that transfer or if they've at least prepared one that is as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

So Argento's The Bird With The Crystal Plumage just got a new blu ray through VCI Entertainment. Anyone familiar with their product? I have a really nice copy of the film from Blue Underground, but it's just a DVD and I was wondering if it would be worth an upgrade.

Also, if you know anything about Kino's releases (from a quality standpoint), do share. They've got some neat stuff coming up (plus a recently released Bay of Blood) and I'm wondering if it's worth the investment.

• Locked thread