Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why can't more Grognard games not have an OOB system like From Warsaw to Paris....it is so drat helpful. I also just love the game so far. Fun and easy to get a grasp on. I do wish that if you're going to have bios of Officers, people would at least proofread them. Something about buying a $40 game and seeing capitalization mistakes (even if the designers don't speak English as a first language) is kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Gfanikf, where's your turn man? We used to play two, even three turns a day. And now it's been two weeks since I sent the turn to you. Are you on the marijuana? I saw on the news that people who used to play turn based games like normal people just sit around all day on the marijuana. I think we need to have an intervention. You used to be cool man.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 21, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorilla Radio posted:

Gfanikf, where's your turn man? We used to play two, even three turns a day. And now it's been two weeks since I sent the turn to you. Are you on the marijuana? I saw on the news that people who used to play turn based games like normal people just sit around all day on the marijuana. I think we need to have an intervention. You used to be cool man.

I thought I sent it to you a few days ago...but apparently because gmail sucks, it never sent it and it was sitting around as a draft email with the attachment. I was actually wondering why you had been slow with it. lol Sorry about that. Take a look at when I created the file.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I wish more games had PBEM servers in the style of Dominions 3, but I suppose that makes more sense for WEGO. Last night I hit reply instead of reply all and managed to waste 12 hours in the Case Yellow game.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VendoViper posted:

I wish more games had PBEM servers in the style of Dominions 3, but I suppose that makes more sense for WEGO. Last night I hit reply instead of reply all and managed to waste 12 hours in the Case Yellow game.

Well look at it this way, it was already too late for me to do the turn until later tonight.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Alright goons, every Sunday I have two hours when I'm supposed to be tutoring college freshmen in the sciences, but nobody comes, because freshmen don't want to study in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Therefore, I am looking for multiplayer games to keep me entertained. I don't have internet access there, so it'll have to be PBEM that I can send when I get home. The games I have are TOAW 3, Steel Panthers WWII and Main Battle Tank, CMB0, BB and AK. I can promise turns for sure on Sunday, and probably throughout the week as well, but I'm much busier then. PM me or quote this. Please.

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

Gorilla Radio posted:

Alright goons, every Sunday I have two hours when I'm supposed to be tutoring college freshmen in the sciences, but nobody comes, because freshmen don't want to study in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Therefore, I am looking for multiplayer games to keep me entertained. I don't have internet access there, so it'll have to be PBEM that I can send when I get home. The games I have are TOAW 3, Steel Panthers WWII and Main Battle Tank, CMB0, BB and AK. I can promise turns for sure on Sunday, and probably throughout the week as well, but I'm much busier then. PM me or quote this. Please.

I can do Steel Panthers but I'm new to PBEM and also bad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GenericRX posted:

I can do Steel Panthers but I'm new to PBEM and also bad.

Can't be much worse than me.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Alright I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and buy a grognard game. I've been reading Grey's Crown of Glory thread and I think I would prefer something along these lines. Something with both empire management aspects and warfare, and the multiple factions is a nice touch but not absolutely mandatory. So does this thread have any good suggestions along this line? Obviously price would be a nice consideration, but I realize that is a pipe dream with grog games so I'm ready to bite that bullet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lilli posted:

Alright I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and buy a grognard game. I've been reading Grey's Crown of Glory thread and I think I would prefer something along these lines. Something with both empire management aspects and warfare, and the multiple factions is a nice touch but not absolutely mandatory. So does this thread have any good suggestions along this line? Obviously price would be a nice consideration, but I realize that is a pipe dream with grog games so I'm ready to bite that bullet.

EU4.

e: alternatively Forge of Freedom is like Crown of Glory except set in the US Civil War and without the crashing every 10 minutes.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Alchenar posted:

EU4.

e: alternatively Forge of Freedom is like Crown of Glory except set in the US Civil War and without the crashing every 10 minutes.

I actually own EU3/4 and CK2, they pretty much fit the bill for the type of game I'm looking for, but I was hoping for some more needless complexity because I hate myself?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lilli posted:

I actually own EU3/4 and CK2, they pretty much fit the bill for the type of game I'm looking for, but I was hoping for some more needless complexity because I hate myself?

Ah you want Hearts of Iron 3 then.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Try Panzer Corps, there's no nation you need to control but you do need to manage and upgrade your core of units which you bring from mission to mission.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lilli posted:

Do you like old games? For only $5.99, this Imperialism 2 could be yours:

http://www.gog.com/game/imperialism_2_the_age_of_exploration

Not really a grognard game... but a good strategy game nevertheless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Do you like old games? For only $5.99, this Imperialism 2 could be yours:

http://www.gog.com/game/imperialism_2_the_age_of_exploration

Not really a grognard game... but a good strategy game nevertheless.

If it weren't for the forts, Imperialism would be better colonization/industrialization simulators than EU3 / Victoria 2.

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
What's the status of the Case Yellow PBEM? I'm eager to post the first turn and give away the deets of my :master: through the Ardennes!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, Ill look into these.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
IndieGala actually has a relevant bundle. About $5 for all the Theater of War games:

http://www.indiegala.com/#info

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Those are terrible games. I assure you, I own half of them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing Open General lately after discovering that they've ported over the original Panzer General campaign to the engine:

That's me struggling in Norway. The Kriegsmarine is on track to be completely sunk, I neglected to buy Air Defense and I still have to march all the way to Namsos as the final objective.

It even plays by the same rules as the original PG: No overrun attacks from armor, deselecting a unit ends its whole turn even if you've only moved or only fired so far, a cap on the number of core units, etc etc.

There are some quirks though, such as artillery being able to reach 3 hexes out and extra units that weren't in the original such as the Karl Gerat artillery.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

gradenko_2000 posted:

deselecting a unit ends its whole turn even if you've only moved or only fired so far, a cap on the number of core units, etc etc.

Why would you port over things that are objectively bad design choices? :psyduck:

What does Open General have over playing Panzer General Forever?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

What does Open General have over playing Panzer General Forever?

It began as an port of Panzer General 2, so you can play that and a lot of other user-made campaigns. Specifically, you can play them in a modern resolution, which GOG.com's original PG2 is won't to do. They've also ported over People's General.

As for the PG1 campaign itself, you get the newer units, farther artillery range, level bombing that removes fuel/ammo*, the spiffy PG2 graphics, and an AI that isn't quite as brutal as PGFs. It doesn't do that thing where it sticks infantry/anti-tank units in every little nook and cranny making a win on even the Poland/Warsaw scenarios rather difficult.

I guess the differences aren't that significant except maybe for the AI, but I really just prefer the PG1 campaign because the original PG2 campaigns always seemed to lack scope and grandiosity.

* It's possible that this was already a thing in the original PG, but I always played with supply rules off :shobon: so Open PG is at least keeping me honest and teaching me to deal with that and weather since I can't turn it off. I've had some great success using the German level bombers to drain French/British tanks of ammo and fuel, letting even Pz38(t)'s pick off Char B1s with impunity

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 1, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Just a reminder.

Scourge of War is happening next Saturday!

Please go here and fill out your times. If you are interested of course.

I'll probably hop on mumble when I get up, and see ho we go from there. Thats if we can't nail down a better time during this week.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gradenko_2000 posted:

* It's possible that this was already a thing in the original PG, but I always played with supply rules off :shobon: so Open PG is at least keeping me honest and teaching me to deal with that and weather since I can't turn it off. I've had some great success using the German level bombers to drain French/British tanks of ammo and fuel, letting even Pz38(t)'s pick off Char B1s with impunity

Yes, level bombers always reduced fuel & ammo... great against heavy panzers. And their suppression effect lasts for the entire turn.

So it has People's General, eh? Wonderful. Now if only someone ported Fantasy General...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to eke out a Minor Victory in Norway on the last turn, and then scored Major victories in the Low Countries, France and Sealion Plus.

One other thing I did notice is that this version isn't able to capture different unit caps between Core and Auxiliary units, since there were no unit caps in PG2 and every unit you bought was a core unit. This means any auxiliaries you lose cannot be replaced, as the unit cap they're enforcing only counts core units. It bit me in the rear end somewhat in France because I didn't spare any units to garrison the victory hexes, and Calais ended up getting recaptured by an infantry unit from a town that I had bypassed, forcing me to backtrack.

I'm also finding it a lot more difficult to gain air superiority because I only have three fighters. What's the difference between Air Defense and Anti-Air, again?

Nenonen posted:

So it has People's General, eh? Wonderful. Now if only someone ported Fantasy General...

I remember Computer Gaming World docking points off of Fantasy General for being brutally hard later on. What was that all about? I tried playing it so many years ago, but never got too far because the troop management and research and all that stuff was just a bit too overwhelming when I didn't have any historical context to fall back on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How's the Paris game going? I'm getting withdrawal from not having weekly divisions to move.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

:siren:Cross of Iron is the daily deal:siren:

For the first time I recommend buy this buy this buy this it's a good game at price that's actually sensible. This is the one to make Matrix sit up and notice that decent games at not gently caress-you prices get results.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrU103tvgs&list=PLk5K-IfEIqTtPVhTlR8YULSBSpHxIZP29&index=8

About half of this Scourge of War video is the guy just panning back and forth, back and forth because he's ordering every regiment of his force one at a time. Was he just missing something or is the UI really that limited?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrU103tvgs&list=PLk5K-IfEIqTtPVhTlR8YULSBSpHxIZP29&index=8

About half of this Scourge of War video is the guy just panning back and forth, back and forth because he's ordering every regiment of his force one at a time. Was he just missing something or is the UI really that limited?

I've not watched the video, but it may be that he's not trusting the AI, which is a common thing for people coming in off the TW series. in the bigger battles you really need to let the AI do its thing. Micromanaging is only really needed for brigade levels where you only have a few regiments.

In Take command I was defending the sunken railway cut with a division of two brigades on defend orders. I was working on the other end of my line when I noticed the Division march out towards the enemy. I was annoyed, I told them to defend! this was not defending! but I was trying to hold the other flank together (that's when you need to give individual orders) So I decided to let them do their thing.

The AI proceeded to march out, destroy the enemy, the calmly marched right back to the position I had told them to defend. That's when I began to trust the AI.

You could also try my videos, see if I vary from that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVSRGJMf0_RrhvASd5nOagT4

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So apparently War in the West is recruiting beta testers. Progress! :worship:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

steinrokkan posted:

Like an abused spouse we always come back for more :suicide:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

steinrokkan posted:

Applied so I can sit on turn 1 and file report after report about a non-functional interface.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm in the WITW beta :coal:

There are lots of things to click.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is Dangerous Waters the best modern naval game? I'd like to play something similar to Naval War: Arctic Circle, but you know, something actually good.

e: wait I didn't realise you only control one unit in Dangerous Waters.

fuf fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 5, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
No wait for Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations. Its out on the 24th!

Announcement:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3396641

Product page:
http://matrixgames.com/products/483/details/Command:.Modern.Air/Naval.Operations

AAR you might want to read:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3392507

Am I shilling for this game:
Yes! Naval combat simulations deserve your support too! The world needs more naval combat simulations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm also in the Command beta :coal:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is it actually a good game though?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yes.

Its so much better than that Naval War crap game.

Its a simulation that is very fun to play.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is War in the West a single grand campaign where you can choose to invade earlier or in different places or whatever, or is it a bunch of disconnected scenarios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Have you ever played WITP? Its quite a bit like WITP, there are Grand Campaign scenarios with different starting times and then there are tiny little scenarios.