Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sunset 20130817 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

somnambulist posted:

I just got back from Alaska. I don't even know where to begin. Such a loving beautiful place.

Mendenhall Glacier by [url
=http://www.flickr.com/people/francography/]francography[/url], on Flickr

Mendenhall Glacier by francography, on Flickr
Gonna echo the love for these, they're fantastic. (The others are great too, with maybe the exception of mountain_1, which feels a little bland.)

VendaGoat posted:

Monument Valley, AZ

These are great shots. They really capture the desolation of the southwest well. On the downside, this specific picture makes me remember why I hate working with redbeds. That hue of orange makes me wanna :barf:. That, and the iron stains don't always come out of your clothes.

Some landscape shots from Montana! (I've been playing around with some of my pictures from a couple years ago in Photoshop, which is why I've been posting old pictures more often than not recently.)

Mudcracks by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Dragon's Mouth Spring by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Main Terrace by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Main Terrace by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
A few from the weekend:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
These are all great. Gotta ask for details on the star trails though. Iso, exposure length, and the number of stacked (I assume they're stacked?) really one of the better star trails pics I've seen in a while

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Venusian Weasel posted:

These are great shots. They really capture the desolation of the southwest well. On the downside, this specific picture makes me remember why I hate working with redbeds. That hue of orange makes me wanna :barf:. That, and the iron stains don't always come out of your clothes.

It's not easy, but I hate Smog worse.

Case in point;

Yah. Good luck trying to white balance with the entire picture caught in a white haze.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Yah. Good luck trying to white balance with the entire picture caught in a white haze.

I think at that point I'd just ignore the concept of "white balance" and gently caress with the slider until something cool happened.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Badlands by TomOlson, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

drat!

That's stunning.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Kujaroth posted:

A few from the weekend:

Fantastic shots. I particularly love the last one with the stars. Like the other guy said, I'd love to hear how you got that one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Fantastic shots. I particularly love the last one with the stars. Like the other guy said, I'd love to hear how you got that one.

Based on the length of the trails I'm going to guess it was about a 5 minute exposure, or maybe a stack of several shorter ones. Maybe they bumped up the iso to get the beefy glow effect. Also seems to be some city glow which is what would have illuminated the sand.

If you've never done night photography, just stay up late sometime and go do it. It's not that hard and is a heap of fun.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Goddamn.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Singleton, Moonlit by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 5, 2013

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Went to a little town called Bodie, California.

Home by Jenseales, on Flickr

Home on the range by Jenseales, on Flickr

Yosemite by Jenseales, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Overlooking Kent Lake At Night While The Wind Blows by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

Based on the length of the trails I'm going to guess it was about a 5 minute exposure, or maybe a stack of several shorter ones. Maybe they bumped up the iso to get the beefy glow effect. Also seems to be some city glow which is what would have illuminated the sand.

If you've never done night photography, just stay up late sometime and go do it. It's not that hard and is a heap of fun.

I'm guessing a lot of stacking.

For example:

Petenwell Flowage by g.hetzel, on Flickr

For me this was 3 5-minute exposures blended together in lightroom.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

click for diptych.

Lighthouse ➡ by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Dark House by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

gently caress yeh dude, that's awesome. Love the colors and textures.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

No More Crises by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

(please excuse my posting. I am uploading them as I finish them.)

edit:

Communications by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 5, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Vista by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Gathering, Horseshoe Park by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Went up to Maine last weekend

Sea Grass by jpitha, on Flickr

Lighthouse on the shore by jpitha, on Flickr

The sunset marina by jpitha, on Flickr

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Every time a photographer disables downloading my desktop cries.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Man, people are killing it. Awesome stuff, everyone.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Saint Fu posted:

These are all great. Gotta ask for details on the star trails though. Iso, exposure length, and the number of stacked (I assume they're stacked?) really one of the better star trails pics I've seen in a while

Thanks. The trails were shot at ISO 2000, f4, 45 seconds, around 250 images stacked. The foreground was shot during dusk/twilight and blended in to the final image.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

drat dude. Can you give some pointers to getting the night sky to be so perfect?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

tiercel posted:

Every time a photographer disables downloading my desktop cries.

PMed.

Bottom Liner posted:

drat dude. Can you give some pointers to getting the night sky to be so perfect?

Masking. The original sky was already pretty good with both the reddish area on the right and some stars visible in a medium blue relatively well-lit sky. What made a big difference was when I took another photo I had taken of just the stars, converted it to black & white, and dropped it in over the sky in the photo in a layer using overlay blending. The b&w star layer boosted the colors present in the sky, and all I did from that point was fix up the horizon and heal out some stars in the lighter part of the photo... the ones still visible are visible in the original exposure so I just left them in since I guess they fit the "realism" criteria.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Thanks for that explanation, I will definitely try that technique this weekend.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Death Valley, CA

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 5, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Taut by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Bring Me My Broadcast by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Patient enough to shoot film... not patient enough for anything slower than Rite-Aid scans.

Morey Place by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Southwest by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

South Main by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

At least I can hang on to the negatives until I can get my hands on a decent scanner.

jtd123
Oct 27, 2005
This is Rebmann Glacier, which sits on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Between 1912 and the 2000, 82 percent of the glacial ice on the mountain has disappeared, so chances are looking pretty good that it will be completely gone, or close to it, before I die =( It's very interesting to compare present-day images to ones taken in the early 20th century; massive difference in size.

I wish I had more quality shots from this part of the climb, but it turns out I was making all kinds of stupid mistakes after a long, cold night of trekking (like letting Auto-ISO expand to 6400 on my 60D) so many of the dawn/sunrise shots are terrible.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Better Auto-ISO than stumbling off a cliff :v:

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Nixon Head by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Definitely sexy.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

single-mode fiber posted:

1 and 4 are sick.

Glacier NP, correct?

This was the summit of Mt. Carthew, a few kilometers north of the American border in Waterton Lakes NP.

How many of you are aware of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park? I can see it being a big deal up here, but do the Americans care at all?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I've been to Glacier to learn about the geology there, but I didn't get to visit Waterton. Didn't have a passport at the time, so I couldn't hitch a ride up to Waterton, and didn't have the time to actually hike across the border within the park (which I don't think you need the passport for). They're both beautiful parks, though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

U.S. Government Property by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

that's enough mast and fog photos for now. time to process my desert stuff and post it in lumps

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

How many of you are aware of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park? I can see it being a big deal up here, but do the Americans care at all?

Wife and I were planning on visiting it for a few days when we did GNP last summer, but due to a snafu with our lodging it didn't happen. Worked out for the best anyways, spending more time in GNP was a great idea. We're planning on doing the Canadian side next summer.

It's kind of sad visiting the area.. it's beautiful and all, but when you hear stories of how much the glaciers have shrunk it's kind of depressing. Everything left is just a little sliver of ice. :smith:

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Glacier NP, correct?

Yep. That place was off the chain.

xzzy posted:

when you hear stories of how much the glaciers have shrunk it's kind of depressing.

If it's any consolation, those glaciers were shaping up to be gone soon anyway, they're just just going to be gone even sooner now.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I went camping and backpacking in the Pecos Wilderness NE of Santa Fe, New Mexico. It rained 90% of the time.

fog by natebol, on Flickr

trees by natebol, on Flickr

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I like the second one, great pictures. Think I need to go camping again sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Since everyone's doing the Glacier thing:

Mount Pollock, South Spur by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Logan Valley by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Logan Pass by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Mount Oberlin, Clements Mountain, and Mt. Cannon by venusian-weasel, on Flickr