Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ikanreed posted:

If anyone cares about such estimates, it'd be about 10 max HP depending on level-up rolls.

:spergin:

Nope. Minimum 1HP/level and he has always had d8s/d12s. Assuming he is level 15 (and a 1 in a stat gives you a -5 modifier) he would have somewhere between 15 and 57 HP. But I bet it's closer to the 15 then 57. Hence my previous comment of 20HP tops.

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Eox posted:

I kinda feel like we all liked Tarquin too much, so Rich turned up the 'Convention-following' to 11

I'm okay with this, we probably did like him too much :D

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 5, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

W.T. Fits posted:

You know what I hope happens? I hope Belkar dies here, and then gets resurrected almost immediately after they're out of combat. The prophecy said he'd take his last breath ever before the end of the year. It never said he couldn't die and come back once or twice before that. :haw:

Maybe he'll become a vampire. Durkon has the staff that can quicken the transformation and protect from sunlight. Vampires don't have to breath. Of course for that to work he'd also have to give up talking, because you need to take a breath to talk.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe he'll become a vampire. Durkon has the staff that can quicken the transformation and protect from sunlight. Vampires don't have to breath. Of course for that to work he'd also have to give up talking, because you need to take a breath to talk.

Tell that to sub boss Zyklon!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I like how Tarquin turned into a TVTropes incarnate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Considering that, Rich is showing remarkable restraint in not using Tarquin just to take the piss out of his forum members.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

Considering that, Rich is showing remarkable restraint in not using Tarquin just to take the piss out of his forum members.

Well, he's not Andrew Hussie.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Johnny Aztec posted:

also, THAT is how you use an INT score in combat.

That Master's in Battle Administration was worth every copper.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Angela Christine posted:

I dunno, if Belkar gets the vampire treatment as well, what's to stop Durkon from vamping the entire party? Then we have a lame vampires vs Xykon ending where nobody really wins.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

nimby posted:

I dunno, if Belkar gets the vampire treatment as well, what's to stop Durkon from vamping the entire party? Then we have a lame vampires vs Xykon ending where nobody really wins.

It takes 2 weeks to vampire someone normally. Xykon is at the next gate today.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Shwqa posted:

It takes 2 weeks to vampire someone normally. Xykon is at the next gate today.

Durkon's carrying Malack's Staff Of Convenient Spells, so he can probably raise any corpse he wants as a vampire thrall instantly.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

W.T. Fits posted:

You know what I hope happens? I hope Belkar dies here, and then gets resurrected almost immediately after they're out of combat. The prophecy said he'd take his last breath ever before the end of the year. It never said he couldn't die and come back once or twice before that. :haw:

Not to dead-horse theories, but the more people say "Rich wouldn't possibly gimp a prophecy, that's too expected, Belkar must actually die!"...

I mean, consider: Fighting an overwhelming army with low party health and spells, Durkon's already been vamped and has the staff with the "Protection from Sunlight" spell, Belkar's already useless and feeling pretty irritated about it. If V's not going to pop up and instantly save them (and it's already been established, he's gone more in for support spells this book instead of mass-damage-I-win ones), I wonder what the odds are that he demands to be vamped by Durkon?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Angela Christine posted:

You only rise as a vampire if a vampire drains your Con to 0; draining it to 1 and then getting killed won't count.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Sefer posted:

You only rise as a vampire if a vampire drains your Con to 0; draining it to 1 and then getting killed won't count.

Good thing Durkon still has his fangs then?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ursine Asylum posted:

Not to dead-horse theories, but the more people say "Rich wouldn't possibly gimp a prophecy, that's too expected, Belkar must actually die!"...

I mean, consider: Fighting an overwhelming army with low party health and spells, Durkon's already been vamped and has the staff with the "Protection from Sunlight" spell, Belkar's already useless and feeling pretty irritated about it. If V's not going to pop up and instantly save them (and it's already been established, he's gone more in for support spells this book instead of mass-damage-I-win ones), I wonder what the odds are that he demands to be vamped by Durkon?

I think that sounds plausible actually.

It's not like he hasn't earned it. Though two vampires in the same party might be a little ... bland? Weird though it sounds to say that.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I think that sounds plausible actually.

It's not like he hasn't earned it. Though two vampires in the same party might be a little ... bland? Weird though it sounds to say that.

Yeah, from a storytelling perspective it would be a little weird to have two vampires-- but on the other hand, it might be interesting from an alignment point of view if Durkon starts slipping at the same time that Belkar's trying to be better about stuff.

I don't know how likely it is, but it's certainly plausible at this point. It's just that Chekov's not left a gun so much as an armory, and it's anyone's guess which weapon is going to be fired off next.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mylan posted:

Good thing Durkon still has his fangs then?

Between arrows flying around and Durkon being busy dominating people, it doesn't seem likely that Belkar is going to get his last point drained before he's killed by something else.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

People are saying V's going to come in and save them, I don't see that. For one thing, even accounting for Rich not giving any fucks about what D&D rules say, V doesn't have the power to just make a whole army suddenly not a problem.

We're coming to the end of the book, Roy and the gang are now aware that there's something more to the rifts than meets the eye, now is the perfect time for the rift/snarl to do something that saves the day for the Order (in a good or bad way) and fills in a bit more of the picture before they head off to the final gate.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Alchenar posted:

People are saying V's going to come in and save them, I don't see that. For one thing, even accounting for Rich not giving any fucks about what D&D rules say, V doesn't have the power to just make a whole army suddenly not a problem.

We're coming to the end of the book, Roy and the gang are now aware that there's something more to the rifts than meets the eye, now is the perfect time for the rift/snarl to do something that saves the day for the Order (in a good or bad way) and fills in a bit more of the picture before they head off to the final gate.

What? V, more than anyone else in the party, is the one character who can just nuke the poo poo out of dozens, if not hundreds of low-level mooks.

As an Evoker, V's spells are designed to be big, flashy, and deal damage. Damage sucks against single strong targets, but against low-level soldiers like this? A single fireball could kill over a dozen mooks at a time.

Edit: With a 20' radius sphere, V could hit approximately 40 squares with a single fireball, each potentially containing a solider, dealing 10d6 damage (reflex save for half). A first level warrior has about 4-6hp on average.

V's only limitation would be the number of fireballs she prepared. No more, no less.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 6, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Not alone, but...

ConfusedUs posted:

What? V, more than anyone else in the party, is the one character who can just nuke the poo poo out of dozens, if not hundreds of low-level mooks.

As an Evoker, V's spells are designed to be big, flashy, and deal damage. Damage sucks against single strong targets, but against low-level soldiers like this? A single fireball could kill over a dozen mooks at a time.

It depends on if he's sticking with his intentions from earlier this book or not.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I'm pretty sure "obliterate the army that's threatening the party" would also fall under self defence IF the fiends send him back in time.

The question is how many spell-slots worth of Evocations New V traded for support, I guess.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
V can probably also be killed by the soldiers once she makes herself an enormous target. She's squishy, wounded, and doesn't use Windwall, to say nothing of the higher-level Psion sitting on hand.

I also wouldn't even be surprised if Tarquin is genre-savvy enough to have prepared his army to deal with scenarios like "mid-level Evoker".

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
We could always see the Snarl come into play, hell it'd even put the kibosh on Tarquin's grand plan if he just got his head swatted off by some mcguffin. Killed by the least interesting genre tool.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ConfusedUs posted:

Edit: With a 20' radius sphere, V could hit approximately 40 squares with a single fireball, each potentially containing a solider, dealing 10d6 damage (reflex save for half). A first level warrior has about 4-6hp on average.

V's only limitation would be the number of fireballs she prepared. No more, no less.

Yep.

Another useful rules point which could be stressed is that Roy and Durkon are probably in no immediate danger. Mooks can't even hit Durkon because of his damage resistance, and with Roy they'd need a critical, while Roy will be cleaving through 3-4 at a time.

While eventually the crits will happen, in the short term it's more of a timer than a deadly threat.

Of course that's assuming Tarquin is happy twiddling his thumbs while his army gets turned into hamburger.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

sebmojo posted:

Yep.

Another useful rules point which could be stressed is that Roy and Durkon are probably in no immediate danger. Mooks can't even hit Durkon because of his damage resistance, and with Roy they'd need a critical, while Roy will be cleaving through 3-4 at a time.

While eventually the crits will happen, in the short term it's more of a timer than a deadly threat.

Of course that's assuming Tarquin is happy twiddling his thumbs while his army gets turned into hamburger.

That's the most curious part. Tarquin should really know better - I mean, maybe raining crossbow bolts makes sense but ordering his army of mooks into close combat is just a waste of good mooks. His army seemed so aware of narrative conventions earlier, but now they're marching hopelessly to their deaths.

It almost makes me think he's intentionally trying to kill the rest of Elan's party in an ineffective but dramatic way. Is he hoping Elan will have to save the day somehow and grow as a hero? Does he just really not mind losing a pile of troops to do something he and his companions could take care of themselves?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Dolash posted:

Does he just really not mind losing a pile of troops to do something he and his companions could take care of themselves?

I'm not sure I understand the question here...do you think he's particularly fond of these troops? Or troops in general?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

He really doesn't mind. His troops are just numbers in a his ledger as far as he's concerned. They don't have names, just the gold piece value it takes to train and equip a replacement.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What's stopping the Order from just realizing that they can't win this fight, and cutting their way through the army to the Rift and jumping through it as a last-ditch effort?

It is sitting there pretty prominently in the last panel of today's comic, and Roy's last line pretty clearly foreshadows that Plan A likely won't work out.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

V is going to turn up in time to cast Fly on all of them so they can go through the rift without too much worry about being stranded in the middle of an ocean.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

If they go through the Rift, they're going to be using Girard's coffin as a coracle.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

mcswizzle posted:

I'm not sure I understand the question here...do you think he's particularly fond of these troops? Or troops in general?

jng2058 posted:

He really doesn't mind. His troops are just numbers in a his ledger as far as he's concerned. They don't have names, just the gold piece value it takes to train and equip a replacement.

I don't mean he's got a soft spot for his soldiers, just that for someone so versed in dramatic conventions as well as knowing how strong adventurers are, trying to defeat a hero with a wave of rank and file warriors should seem guaranteed to fail - heroes are never killed by mundane soldiers grinding them into the ground without the involvement of major villains. Even if he thinks this is Elan's "Mentor is tragically killed, forcing the hero to rise to the occasion" moment, doing it with a horde of level 1 warriors isn't really the best plan.

Hell, I'm almost curious for someone to crunch the numbers and figure out how many such warriors it'd take to kill Roy, going by 3.5 rules.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Eox posted:

I kinda feel like we all liked Tarquin too much, so Rich turned up the 'Convention-following' to 11

Tarquin is why bards can't be lawful. They would impose too much literary structure on everything.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Dolash posted:

Hell, I'm almost curious for someone to crunch the numbers and figure out how many such warriors it'd take to kill Roy, going by 3.5 rules.

If anyone does want to do that, this site will help them get started:
http://anydice.com

After that.. figure out Roy's AC I guess? Best case scenario is if an average of only 1 in 20 will hit him and unable to confirm any crits at an average of 4.5 damage every 20th time he's attacked (1d8 longsword wielded by a character with the standard Nobody Loser three 11's and three 10's for stats which means no bonus damage of any kind.) It's been too long since I've played 3rd to know what his AC would be like at this point though.

Any deeper and I think my eyes will just start to glaze over.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Suffice to say that Roy (with Great Cleave) could reasonably kill several hundred soldiers on his own, though he would be slowly worn down.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fool_of_sound posted:

Suffice to say that Roy (with Great Cleave) could reasonably kill several hundred soldiers on his own, though he would be slowly worn down.

Heh, boobies.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Roy might last a couple dozen turns and kill a couple hundred soldiers, assuming their morale doesn't break, but Durkon has damage resistance of 10 being a vampire so those regular mooks can't even scratch him. Maybe a few of those dinosaurs might be able to do some actual damage, but in theory the two of them together might be able to wipe out the whole army they're being attacked by.

Although that's getting a little too by-the-book. Narratively, the army's a big danger and could kill them any comic now unless something happens to save them (which it will).

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

sebmojo posted:

Heh, boobies.

I too was glad to see the return of Roy's great cleavage.

And I'm trying to figure out where we're going to head from here, because that pan-out on the final panel is a pretty clear indication that we're about to change scenes. Who else is there to check in on beside V and Sabine? Xykon and Redcloak don't seem like they make sense just now, since the heroes are already in pretty dire straits so any progression we'd get from them would just be unnecessarily added tension.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just noticed Mr. Scruffy's helping Belkar kick up sand in panel six of page two.

Best animal companion. :3:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RandallODim posted:

I too was glad to see the return of Roy's great cleavage.

And I'm trying to figure out where we're going to head from here, because that pan-out on the final panel is a pretty clear indication that we're about to change scenes. Who else is there to check in on beside V and Sabine? Xykon and Redcloak don't seem like they make sense just now, since the heroes are already in pretty dire straits so any progression we'd get from them would just be unnecessarily added tension.

Yup, it's time to visit Hell and see V get released, possibly with some Sabine ranting before the commission sets V loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I were Tarquin, I'd have a bunch of mid-level mixed in, with the low-level serving as camouflage and distraction and keeping them unprepared for the strong guys to suddenly smack them.