Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I use Spotify and Promoe which can use winamp 2.x skins. :smug:

This is getting off topic but can you elaborate? I would love to use a winamp skin with Spotify and I can't figure out what Promoe even is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

I....I still use Winamp.

:ohdear:

Likewise. I stream my own music from home using Shoutcast and Winamp is (AFAIK) the only thing that can "listen in", so to speak.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Expensive Hi-Fi skin is where it's at you guys.

:smuggo:

Spermy Smurf posted:

Cant find the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread, so posting here.

We've had 12 Optiplex 790's with power supplies that have blown. These were all purchased a year ago, and are in our offices all over the state.

Anyone else having any similar problems with 790s? We have 90 of them, dont know what the deal is.

We have about 30 of them we purchased 1.5yrs ago and have replaced the power supplies on 95% of them at this point, some have been replaced more than once.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

The Expensive Hi-Fi skin is where it's at you guys.

:smuggo:

Such blasphemy.

evobatman: Did you figure out what was wrong with your SAN? you never responded to my reply on Skype. :ohdear:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wa27 posted:

This is getting off topic but can you elaborate? I would love to use a winamp skin with Spotify and I can't figure out what Promoe even is.

Sorry, my sentence was unclear.

I use Spotify.
AND I use Promoe, which uses winamp skins.

I wish Spoitify would use Winamp skins. :smith:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm still using Winamp because I don't want to learn something new :shrug:
It provides a fast, quick glimpse at all of my music in an easy to understand UI. I never use playlists, always listen to full albums so I just go put on whatever from my media library and let it play.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Winamp is still a thing?

Does it still whip the llama's rear end?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ratbert90 posted:

I wish Spoitify would use Winamp skins. :smith:

I wish Spotify just provided a search and playback API you could plug into other music players. I guess despotify does this more or less.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
I leanred that our global sales director has a $4,000 a month cellphone bill

Can anyone beat that?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Spermy Smurf posted:

We've had 12 Optiplex 790's with power supplies that have blown. These were all purchased a year ago, and are in our offices all over the state.

Anyone else having any similar problems with 790s? We have 90 of them, dont know what the deal is.

I have eight, no problems so far.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Now I feel uneasy... I still use Winamp. :ohdear: What amazing new advances am I missing out on? I think I even got this huge collection of milkdrop presets from a poster on SA way back when. Have yet to find a media player with such robust visualization.

More on topic, today I was notified to setup about 5 sales users who started on Tuesday. I say about 5, because they dont even know how many exactly. The planning is strong with this particular HR dept. Oh and 3 of the hires don't even have computers to use. How the gently caress do you hire people and not think of a place/equipment for them to actually you know, sit down and work?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crowley posted:

Such blasphemy.

evobatman: Did you figure out what was wrong with your SAN? you never responded to my reply on Skype. :ohdear:

Classic skin 4 lyfe

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

:hfive:

Spermy Smurf posted:

That thread got merged with the old version of this thread so your posting location is correct.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'm not sure who Dell has designing and building their power supplies but I don't think anyone involved is an EE or has any knowledge of either one of those Es.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

It took almost four years on this site, but I finally realized that the frogs nostrils are not his eyes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
RE Optiplex 790 chat:
We had a lot of problems with ours as well. Nothing official from Dell, but from what I'd read online there were plenty of people with problems, but once they got replaced everything was fine. If look at the part number of a broken PSU and a replaced PSU, they're different, so I think Dell found the problem and fixed it going forward.

Though my experience specifically is with the Small Form Factor units, not sure if Minitower or Desktop or Ultra Small Form Factor had the same problems.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pyroclastic posted:

(Anyone remember PSUs that had an outlet specifically to plug a monitor into? I miss those)

I remember those too, they were awesome. I could swear I've seen power cables with a receptacle at the plug end that would basically emulate that, but I can't find anything like it on monoprice. That would probably be a lot cheaper than a bunch of new power strips if you can find one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stubblyhead posted:

I remember those too, they were awesome. I could swear I've seen power cables with a receptacle at the plug end that would basically emulate that, but I can't find anything like it on monoprice. That would probably be a lot cheaper than a bunch of new power strips if you can find one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSA-PWD-402-Piggyback-IEC-Daisy-Chain-Power-Cord-Cable-2-NEW-WIRELESSSOUNDS-/221178703444

Clever idea, expensive for what it is though.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

nitrogen posted:

Winamp is still a thing?

Does it still whip the llama's rear end?

In one of the 5.x releases they actually censored that line. I guess there was enough backlash that they later reverted that change.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Oh god, dev vs. prod stuff. At one place, we had an ailing data analysis system that was godawful slow on standard storage, so we deployed a proof-of-concept base model flash memory solution just to see what sort of performance gains it might provide. The improvement turned out to be a little too impressive, because the top-level execs saw the performance on the new device (which had barely enough storage space for the current data set and literally no data or hardware redundancy on any level) and immediately said "Wow! Cool! That's the production system now." :cripes:

On the other side of the coin was one of our Peoplesoft platforms, which had nearly 20 separate non-production environments at one point. :psyduck:

Edit: Add me to the list of people still using good ol' Winamp 2. I'm one of those people who hates change and doesn't update software unless it's absolutely necessary, though, which is why my Windows 7 UI looks like Windows 95 with a slightly different shade of battleship grey and I use Magus's Greasemonkey script on SA. :v:

dennyk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 6, 2013

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo pissing me off:

loving conference calls on speaker phones that last hours. Bonus when two people in the same room must be on the same call from their own hotel space instead of just, you know, sitting next to each other. Reverb!

Add that wonderful ambiance to the incessant hissing of the HVAC grille over my head and the burn of office lighting in my windowless storage-cum-consultant-hotel-space and I'm ready to smash things.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss my old lovely job. It was soooooo cushy...

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Now let's see if I can still remember my ICQ number... edit to follow.

edit: holy crap I remembered it! Though, I remember having a lot more people on my list... there's only 8 confirmed and 1 waiting for auth (for like a decade)

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 6, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was on a conference call this afternoon and got cut off by Sarah McLachlan blasting out of the speaker. I said that it was like being on an award show when you talk too long and the band starts playing. No one would cop to being the culprit but after a minute or so it stopped.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Now let's see if I can still remember my ICQ number... edit to follow.

For shame, 61738 was my prodigy id in middle school early 90s on the family's $2000 486 25mhz. (Internet detectives: go.)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Wagonburner posted:

For shame, 61738 was my prodigy id in middle school early 90s on the family's $2000 486 25mhz. (Internet detectives: go.)

Nah, I got it on the first try. I could probably still rattle off bbs numbers from the Fresno area if I thought about it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Wagonburner posted:

ICQ - 14286188

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

drukqs posted:

ICQ - 14286188

200k people and 14 million spambots.
(Mine was in the 386000-range I think.)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

drukqs posted:

ICQ - 14286188

4512020. Burned into my brain but I never log in.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Such memories. I used Winamp up until the point when I started using a Mac for everything-that's-not-Steam and basically got railroaded into using iTunes for everything.

That having been said, having an external laptop for music with an aux-out into the mic port on my PC and letting me gently caress with playlists/music volume without having to break games that don't handle alt-tab well? Very, very worth it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Close, but the one I'm thinking of has the extra receptacle at the other end of the cable. Imagine one of these on the male end.

ICQ - 1245058

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

fivre posted:

I wish Spotify just provided a search and playback API you could plug into other music players. I guess despotify does this more or less.

They uh, they do have that API. There are quite a few 3rd-party apps that can play Spotify via the API. You just have to have a paid account. My personal favorite is Fidelify (lets you specify your output sound port, great for VAC).

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

My Michigan Terminal System (usually just called MTS) account in 1990 was 6286.

I'm pretty sure I was the last consultant to request a free nine-track tape so I could learn the mainframe's tape interface.

Also I am old.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I still remember my ICQ number! 135017. I was a really early adopter. I don't think I've logged into it in two years. It's probably owned by a spammer now.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I get requests like this fairly common, and always get to say no. Fire marshals here would flip their poo poo with the kind of tripping hazard that would cause, once you factor in power/network cords running along the floor. Fire code regulations are serious things in school environments here.

Not sure what libertarian wasteland you're from, but I can't imagine it's too different.

No, our fire marshal is pretty strict about that stuff too, but we just have to have cord covers on them. Even though most of the cord covers we have are awful and never uncurl so they're even bigger tripping hazards. I love the heavy-duty ones I got our other lab. They can take two thick power strip cables and some network wires with ease and they lay flat. They don't let us use rugs to cover them...I wonder if anyone makes rugs rated for that.
At least we've finally convinced the staff to stop plugging power strips into other power strips or extension cords!
I wish the fire marshal would crack down on all these drat teachers who are apparently too good for the built-in room lighting and have strung hanging lamps all over their rooms with power strips for them mounted on the walls. Even our strict maintenance guy gave up the fight against these as long as the power strips are mounted.

I finished up the networking in the moved lab today. Went in early and terminated the punchdown end...and it didn't work. Reterminated, still didn't work. Put the old AMP terminator on, and it worked. Reterminated with the new ones, still no signal. Went back to the tech center again, got the tester and a pair of punchdown cat6 terminators. I recall these particular 5e terminators having trouble biting through some types of insulation and this stuff is old and tough.
Terminated, checked with the tester...wire 1 was reporting 18.6 meters in length, 2-8 all reported 120m. poo poo, damaged wire, and the damage is likely in the underground conduit. I call the bench tech to confirm which pairs of wires are actually tx/rx in 100baseT (since I have no internet out there), and I swap the brown pair for the orange pair, and now all thirty computers are hooked up with a single 20% over-length, 87.5% functional decade-old cable.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Nah, I got it on the first try. I could probably still rattle off bbs numbers from the Fresno area if I thought about it.

703-642-8801 is still burned into my head as the first big BBS I subscribed to, Infinite Data Source (64 nodes!)

And then there's my 1:109/390 :chord:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I signed in for kicks a couple of years ago. Nothing but spambots :negative:

It's still annoying that AOL bought them just to do absolutely nothing useful with them.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
poo poo that pisses me off? Jim.

Before I continue, gotta introduce someone who isn't a shithead: My boss whom I'll call Dick. Dick is a large angry man who looks like he belongs in a metal band, has smoker breath, swears a lot, is stubborn as a mule, and blast angry music(example: Cancerslug) a lot, but god drat does he work hard and is an overall great guy. Normally he's a tech like the rest of us, but he was definitely the hardest working one there. When the wireless project started, Dick was put in charge of the depot as Team Lead, and he fixed a LOT of poo poo. Completely organized the entire depot, got rid of some troublesome temps, kept the shadowy lords of Apple happy. He was working 80+ hours weekly fixing everything that Jim wouldn't over the years. He not only did basically all of Jim's job minus 2 things because Jim wouldn't teach him it(despite someone above him TELLING him to) as well as Fred's job(receiving/shipping parts), but he also did repairs when he found he had the time. Always working. Jim actually had the balls to tell him that he "still" doesn't do all of his job despite his 14 hour average work day. As you might imagine, he was very angry.

Now to more present events. With waiting on the new repair deployment, Dick has been again reorganizing the entire warehouse(with some help from me and friend), making room for the new deployment that will be happening soon, keeping the Wireless team's poo poo as neat as possible. The other day we received a large shipment of Cisco gear for the wireless team. We spent all yesterday morning scanning them into inventory, and when we came back from lunch, doing it all AGAIN and assigning them to their designated location, due to a possible error along the way and wanting to be safe. Also we discovered there were shipments that already happened coming in, so we had to spend time finding THOSE. Today we were supposed to start configuring the Switches and assigning access points to their designated locations. The way this works is we go to our website and choose the location we're looking to do, choose the specific switch, generate the config, then paste it into the switch. With this new batch of switches though, I quickly discovered that either the website either a) didn't have the right amount of switches in their list for each location or b) wouldn't generate a config. After an hour of checking a few different stacks, I went to Jim and told him poo poo was messed up. We asked him to make a list of locations that have switches READY to be configured so we could do those. After waiting for about an hour because he had to take 1-2 smoke breaks while doing whatever the gently caress he was doing in the front room, he finally brought us a list saying that all duplicates should be removed. Also APPARENTLY he also said he wanted the entire list done today? I didn't hear it, and I wanna say with there being roughly 50 locations on the sheet all with varying amount of switches(1-7) and access points(1-60+), that was NOT gonna happen when we got the sheet at about 1pm.

So I started going through the list, and I discovered that hey, locations I'm looking at are in fact NOT ready to be configured. After someone else and I went through the entire list, we discovered that apart from ONE Location and TWO duplicates that were in fact not removed, NONE of the switches were ready to be configured. Upon bringing this fact up to Jim, his response? "Oh just stage the access points, if they need to, they can be configured on site. It sucks, but hey it's possible." Just gonna point out that plugging in a switch, waiting 10 minutes for it to start, pasting a config and waiting ten minutes, then typing "copy run start" is not something I would say sucks, considering while that happens, you could just go out and hang the access points.

While I was doing this, Dick had HoneyBiscuit and another coworker helping him with unboxing buffer systems for the next deployment. There's over 1300 of these things, so it was certainly a multi-person job if it was to get done in a timely fashion. It's about 2-3pm and I'm finishing up assigning access points to two locations, pretty drat slow but I was also sick as hell today. The others were on their lunch break and sitting near me talking to me as I did it, Jim pokes his head in and asks how many locations are finished so far and if the others were helping me at all, I honestly respond that I only finished two, and that the others were on break(granted a very long one), and he seems pretty pissed off. When I go return a file to the cabinet he asks in a very rude way on what the others were doing all day and I tell him that they were helping Dick all day and he snaps back with a "I don't give a gently caress what Dick wants, it shouldn't take 7 people to loving unbox those."

Jesus Christ. He's supposed to be the main manager of the depot but he's so out of his goddamn mind. He hasn't done a single thing to solve any issues today other than say "Do this other thing instead." Has unreal expectations(though again, I don't know if he REALLY wanted ALL the access points assigned) after FINALLY giving us one small thing we needed half way through the day(that we didn't really need until later). And then he pulls a number out of his rear end on something he has no clue about. After throwing this hissy-fit, he leaves at about 3:30pm after coming in at 10:30am. Way to make an example as usual, Jim. :jerkbag: We proceeded to knock out about 7-8 more locations in access points since we don't have his useless rear end breathing down our necks/distracting us.

Holy poo poo that's a lot of text. I'm just glad I already drink, cause otherwise I would consider smoking about now...for now I just need some sleep heh.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 6, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I use AIMP3 for my media player. Is there something that people aren't telling me?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So over the weekend a coworker was in a bicycle accident and will be out for at least a couple of weeks, leaving our network staff as team of me. Manager is too busy with non-stop meetings and some other project leaving me to handle all the incidents that roll in, and do some time consuming projects. But even just keeping ahead daily stuff is getting difficult and is just going to get worse as more things are piled onto us.

I used to be able to handle this better, but I've been getting massively burned out lately and since getting turned down from a promotion to a new position, I have a hard time really giving a poo poo about a lot of the daily stuff. I probably need a vacation, but fitting one in is going to be real pain in the rear end for the next couple of months.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
ICQ number rememberation station: 27556444

That number will never leave my brain (I also remember my old home phone number from when I was 6)

Also: Mooamp was the best Winamp skin (and I still use it because it does what I need it to do).

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Migishu posted:

ICQ number rememberation station: 27556444

2681xxx signing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
drat, I don't feel so gangster with my high 8 digit ICQ number, 89......

It was extremely odd. I thought I would never remember it, but I remembered it immediately, despite never using it.

• Locked thread