Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
OK a little confused, what is the orange line in front of my mech in 0313, and why couldn't I enter that hex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DarthXaos posted:

OK a little confused, what is the orange line in front of my mech in 0313, and why couldn't I enter that hex?

You didn't have enough MP. You were on a level 1 hill, descending into a level -1 hole (2 level changes is 2 mp spent). You specified running and have 8 MP:

Your movement was as follows:
Turning towards hex 0711 - 1 MP
Entering hex 0711 - 3 mp
Running to 0512 - 2 mp
Climbing the hill to enter hex 0412 - 2 mp
Entering hex 0313 - 1 mp
Turning to face hex 0314 - 1 mp

1 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 10, but you only have 8 mp. So your movement ended when you used up all of your mp, stopping you a hex early. The orange line is there to show where you were intending to move and what direction you intended to face.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shoeless posted:

Let me help you with that Psion!

I'm not really sure this qualifies as helping, but thanks for explaining it anyway. I now feel dumber, as was probably intended. Moreover, I assume this puts me in good company, as everyone else who knew what Ghost Heat was probably felt dumber when they read it, too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

I'm not really sure this qualifies as helping, but thanks for explaining it anyway. I now feel dumber, as was probably intended. Moreover, I assume this puts me in good company, as everyone else who knew what Ghost Heat was probably felt dumber when they read it, too.

Ghost Heat was PGI's way of--well, I'm not really sure. Multiple weapons firing in less than 0.5 seconds of each other trigger it, so, funny story?

A single Autocannon/2 can trigger Ghost Heat by itself (due to its low recharge speed).

PGI's solution?

They increased the recharge time from 0.5 seconds to 0.52 seconds so it couldn't.

Except that a skill exists that reduces the recharge time of all weapons on a `Mech, so an AC/2 with that skill still drops below the 0.5 second recharge and still triggers Ghost Heat with itself.

Edit: You can all Psyduck now. We still are.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 6, 2013

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Psion posted:

Dude, there are charts and graphs. MWO is one of the most foolishly managed games I've ever played, and I've washed my hands of it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ghost Heat was PGI's way of--well, I'm not really sure. Multiple weapons firing in less than 0.5 seconds of each other trigger it, so, funny story?

A single Autocannon/2 can trigger Ghost Heat by itself (due to its low recharge speed).

PGI's solution?

They increased the recharge time from 0.5 seconds to 0.52 seconds so it couldn't.

Except that a skill exists that reduces the recharge time of all weapons on a `Mech, so an AC/2 with that skill still drops below the 0.5 second recharge and still triggers Ghost Heat with itself.

Hey man, you can't expect them double armor values or just increase the heat for PPCs or make other weapons actually good because

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You didn't have enough MP. You were on a level 1 hill, descending into a level -1 hole (2 level changes is 2 mp spent). You specified running and have 8 MP:

Your movement was as follows:
Turning towards hex 0711 - 1 MP
Entering hex 0711 - 3 mp
Running to 0512 - 2 mp
Climbing the hill to enter hex 0412 - 2 mp
Entering hex 0313 - 1 mp
Turning to face hex 0314 - 1 mp

1 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 10, but you only have 8 mp. So your movement ended when you used up all of your mp, stopping you a hex early. The orange line is there to show where you were intending to move and what direction you intended to face.

OK that's what i missed was the double level change for some reason thought it was a single level.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Carbolic posted:

A 'Mech under 60 tons can't instakill with a Justice Foot.

A 'Mech under 50 tons can't even force a critical roll with a Justice Foot.

...assuming full head armour, anyway.

TSM says otherwise, 30 ton mech can instakill via justice foot if it uses TSM, 25 tonners can force a crit on a justice foot, so only the lowly 20 tonner can't and honestly they tend to just DIE if breathed on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, a 20 tonner getting into melee should just go ahead and pull a fireball and call it good if it still has legs when its done.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Hmmm, sounds like this poorly named concept could've worked if they gave the mechs a high chance to blow up from overheating rather than just shut down.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Psion posted:

It's especially great because it doesn't hinder alpha builds at all since they already overheat, so all it hurts are "dps" machines who try to put out a steady amount of firepower, but not in great enough quantities to allow them to really compete. The idea would be that by not firing everything at once, they survive longer and reach a point where they've done as much damage as an Alpha build. Except that with Ghost Heat, even DPS designs overheat badly too. So really this "balancing fix" really does the opposite of what it was meant to! Yay! Also, let's not forget the Kintaro Hero mech which has so many SRM 4s and 6s (they share the same ghost heat track) that if it alphas, it shuts down! And this is a mech that PGI themselves designed. Sheer brilliance abounds, folks!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

Hmmm, sounds like this poorly named concept could've worked if they gave the mechs a high chance to blow up from overheating rather than just shut down.

They did. It's still stupid as hell. Any 4 SRM racks? Ghost heat! More than two large lasers? Ghost heat! Two AC/20s? Ghost heat! A single AC/2? Ghost heat! For something that's supposed to stop high pinpoint alpha sniper builds, it sure nerfed the hell out of brawling.

As for the current fight, the Rifleman's death was typical of it's kind. Also it's a terrible idea, but I'd be really, really tempted to DFA the Drillson if I was the Watchman pilot.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
They could make a point limit for ghost heat, so it only affects racks of high-powered weapons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

As for the current fight, the Rifleman's death was typical of it's kind. Also it's a terrible idea, but I'd be really, really tempted to DFA the Drillson if I was the Watchman pilot.

While it'd be funny if it worked, well...

5 base + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 12 minimum to hit; and the Watchman would be jumping into a swamp. A miss means it's really likely to fall down, and jumping into a swamp means even if it does stay standing it's almost guaranteed to get bogged down and immobilized for a turn or three.

Readingaccount posted:

They could make a point limit for ghost heat, so it only affects racks of high-powered weapons.

This is the same company that counts 3 SRM-2s and an SRM-6 as four SRM-6s if you fire all of them at the same time, don't try to apply logic. Just cringe and feel a little depressed and hope they get bought out by someone who isn't an idiot.

Edit: But the good news is, fully half of the founders (the people who paid $60-300 to fund the game) are still around! Of course, PGI's metric for "around" is "opened up the game and patched it this month." So only half of their core playerbase has given up on getting a good game for an intellectual property they absolutely love. :smith:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 6, 2013

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Shoeless posted:

It's especially great because it doesn't hinder alpha builds at all since they already overheat, so all it hurts are "dps" machines who try to put out a steady amount of firepower, but not in great enough quantities to allow them to really compete. The idea would be that by not firing everything at once, they survive longer and reach a point where they've done as much damage as an Alpha build. Except that with Ghost Heat, even DPS designs overheat badly too. So really this "balancing fix" really does the opposite of what it was meant to! Yay! Also, let's not forget the Kintaro Hero mech which has so many SRM 4s and 6s (they share the same ghost heat track) that if it alphas, it shuts down! And this is a mech that PGI themselves designed. Sheer brilliance abounds, folks!

Now I'm probably an idiot but wouldn't adding a recoil and / or imprecision that occurs during an alpha strike that would also affect the alpha strike be a better counter to this?

"In such situations, the energy discharge is so sudden and powerful that it causes the myomer to react by short but violent and impredictable contractions"

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SIGSEGV posted:

Now I'm probably an idiot but wouldn't adding a recoil and / or imprecision that occurs during an alpha strike that would also affect the alpha strike be a better counter to this?

"In such situations, the energy discharge is so sudden and powerful that it causes the myomer to react by short but violent and impredictable contractions"

For some reason, PGI has an ironclad insistence upon pinpoint crosshair accuracy. They've outright stated it. Even while they're trying to nerf sniper builds. It is the dumbest thing imaginable considering that basic cone of fire mechanics would solve all of these problems and be directly in line with BT to-hit mechanics.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of cool BT games, is there any discussion anywhere on mechwarrior tactics? It looks fun, but I see they're going for some sort of TCG freemium model or something, which seems a bit BS to me.

Also I played some BT alpha strike at PAX and it was surprisingly awesome. I could see doing battalion sized engagements without it taking the entire weekend

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

...wouldn't adding a recoil and / or imprecision ... be a better counter?
As long as you're inventing non-canon BS like Ghost Heat, why not rear end-pull a concept of "peak output" for your engines? Large enough to, say, let you fire a PPC every .4 of a second, but low enough to just not support a 4x PPC alpha.

Corbeau posted:

basic cone of fire mechanics would solve all of these problems and be directly in line with BT to-hit mechanics.
This is my favourite too. Being an armchair dev is easy, right? Especially when obvious patches are obvious.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Endomorphic posted:

As long as you're inventing non-canon BS like Ghost Heat, why not rear end-pull a concept of "peak output" for your engines? Large enough to, say, let you fire a PPC every .4 of a second, but low enough to just not support a 4x PPC alpha.

This is my favourite too. Being an armchair dev is easy, right? Especially when obvious patches are obvious.

Considering Living Legends solved that problem that way IIRC, it's kinda hard not to re-use a working solution.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Living Legends: the actually good BT game.

Though it does have it's own issues, the core stompy is better.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

Considering Living Legends solved that problem that way IIRC, it's kinda hard not to re-use a working solution.
And yet MWO managed it! They were all "we've gotta invent a wheel, but //circular// has already been done..."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Speaking of cool BT games, is there any discussion anywhere on mechwarrior tactics? It looks fun, but I see they're going for some sort of TCG freemium model or something, which seems a bit BS to me.

Also I played some BT alpha strike at PAX and it was surprisingly awesome. I could see doing battalion sized engagements without it taking the entire weekend

It was so bad that the publisher sacked the entire development team and replaced them. We're still waiting to see how the new team does.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
Well that really gets your hopes up.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Endomorphic posted:

And yet MWO managed it! They were all "we've gotta invent a wheel, but //circular// has already been done..."

Sadly MW:LL already did Solaris, it's no wonder that MWO won't touch it, right?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was so bad that the publisher sacked the entire development team and replaced them. We're still waiting to see how the new team does.

Wait, the old MW Tactics team got replaced? Huh. Well maybe now we'll see some actual progress? I mean it's been over a year since I got into the beta, and afaik, there haven't been ANY new mechs added. I mean I'd rather that they got the core systems working and poo poo first and then concentrate on added content, but how hard can it be to toss up a new mech every month or so?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Mechwarrior Tactics: Laser-guided speculation is the thread. It's not very active, but it's there.

The game is currently still very very beta, but I think it actually shows promise. The bugginess and lagginess has slowly seemed to improve, they've started implementing some features that really should have been there from the beginning (like an actually readable combat log), and when you play a game, it "feels" like battletech.

However, it has yet to become even close to feature-matching Megamek, which is a one-man indi client. That's pretty sad. The AI is still retarded, so it's only fun to play other humans. The card packs aren't well balanced, so you tend to wind up with more mechs than pilots, not enough medium mechs, too many of one kind of weapon (like AC/2s) and not enough of more popular weapons (like medium lasers), the game is still choppy and laggy when it animates stuff, and there's no physical combat at all yet.

It's got promise, but needs a loooot of work. Don't pay money to get into the beta (I got in back when it was still free to jump on the waiting list).

e. Adding new mechs would be adding to the already huge workload they have fixing what's already in the game. And they have no shortage of beta testers so there's no need at all to try to attract more. The last thing they should be doing is adding more mechs right now. I mean gently caress, you can't even mount an AC/20 on anything, including a naked hunchback chassis, because it's too big to fit in any slot. The only way to field one is to get one is to get a standard already-armed AC/20 mech. And like I said: no physical combat at all, yet! You can't mouse-wheel scroll the combat log (you have to click the tiny arrows). The game stutters and chops when you end your turn and it animates the mechs. You can't see the movement hexes in water. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 6, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

how hard can it be to toss up a new mech every month or so?

About as hard as it is for PGI to tweak the XML files for basic balance changes, apparently.

But yeah, we're getting really off-topic. Anyone have some suggestions or advice for the players?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

But yeah, we're getting really off-topic. Anyone have some suggestions or advice for the players?

Try shooting the enemy mechs in the heads. That usually works.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Don't expose the wolverine's back anymore.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Don't feel compelled to move the Blackjack just to ring up move mods. You can get good TNs (PPCs for 7s) on the Quasit by standing, and that 'Mech is full of critseekers you don't want to be near. The return fire on you promises to be less effective than your own. (If you want to be slightly more defensive, backing up out of PPC medium range from the Phoenix and SRM range from the Drillson, while staying in medium for your PPCs on the Quasit is also a move you could make.) The rule of "make your move mod higher than your to-hit mod" always needs to take range bands into account.

Yantai lance, try to avoid being boxed in - you're perilously close to exhausting your tactical options, even winning init.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 6, 2013

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Anyone have any suggestions for me (Huron warrior)? To PTN's credit the cronus is making it hard to move well and both stay away from the rommel and not give the cronus my back.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

About as hard as it is for PGI to tweak the XML files for basic balance changes, apparently.

Flood the enemy channels with annoying music? After the thirtieth rendition of the Hamster Dance they should start to crack.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Olothreutes posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for me (Huron warrior)? To PTN's credit the cronus is making it hard to move well and both stay away from the rommel and not give the cronus my back.

Run to 0813, turn to face 0914. Makes the Cronus unable to hit you with its scary stuff (needs 12s), and still leave you out of short from the Rommel. You gotta open the range up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well, that Rifleman sure blew up good...

The flanking attempts that the Taurians have pulled off so far in Impact Point Zero continue to concern me, though I guess you guys can get out of the worst of it by always having initiative... Still, it looks like the pair from the DNS militia is leaving their backs open quite a bit...

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
DNS/Capellan goonlance seems to wisely have committed to kicking the Impact Point Zero force tanks to death... it's far from over, but a bit grim/looking bright.
The Yantai Force has maneuvered very well, and continues to appear as the top dog despite a lightning bolt to the knee. Can the DNS turn the tables!?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 7, 2013

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Readingaccount posted:

DNS/Capellan goonlance seems to wisely have committed to kicking the Impact Point Zero force tanks to death... it's far from over, but a bit grim/looking bright.
The Yantai Force has maneuvered very well, and continues to appear as the top dog despite a lightning bolt to the knee. Can the DNS turn the tables!?

They are doing a good job of surrounding us, although we did a good job last turn of minimizing their chances to hit us. One possible strategy for this turn is focusing fire on the Quasit since that'll be the easiest for everyone to hit. This turn is going to hurt because they are able to start bringing more of their substantial firepower advantage to bear but are not yet close enough for our auto-initiative wins to help us get behind them.

And no I'm not going to DFA the Drillson with a 1/36 chance, as hilarious as that would be. The Drillson, parked on level -2 water, should have a hard time seeing anyone who doesn't walk right up to the water's edge.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

The Drillson, parked on level -2 water, should have a hard time seeing anyone who doesn't walk right up to the water's edge.

:siren: Water hexes count as level with the surrounding hexes. It's only at -1 :siren:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah, I notice all their PPC retaliation failed. This one is gonna be bloody.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Except it doesn't because a year after beta started, many of the passive perks don't actually do anything, the fast fire one included.
Problem averted, PGI style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Except it doesn't because a year after beta started, many of the passive perks don't actually do anything, the fast fire one included.
Problem averted, PGI style.

That has to be a joke, this is SotS2 level funny.

• Locked thread