Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

5er posted:

Zhao Yun's romanticized account I think resonated with the (also dramatized) account of Sanada Nobushige's career, and Nobushige is a huge paragon of martial valor- they both drew lots with an eventually losing side but demonstrated immense martial prowess and a stoic adherence to their principles and virtues.

That said, on thing I've been noticing in my read through of Three Kingdoms again, is that Zhao Yun is played up like CRAZY, compared to what people have been saying here. He pops up early in the book under Gongsun Zan, and has Liu Bei man-crushing on him until he joins what will become the Shu. Also in the footnotes, they related basically a Baldur-esque death for him where his wife accidentally kills him by pricking him with a needle (She'd noticed he had no battle scars and was joking that now he did as she poked him with the needle).

Not that he actually DOES much that couldn't have just been "An officer", it's just for the first major parts he's somehow this phenominal deal. Of course part of the books agenda is to make the Shu look like the proper inheretors of the Han Dynasty, so things like Hua Xiongs death are given to other actors (It's thought that historically he died to Sun Jian, but they had Guan Yu kill him because of the deification of Guan and the other members of Shu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Apparently history doesn't credit Guan Yu with Wen Chou's death (Ravages gives that to Zhang Liao), only Yan Liang's, and there's speculation as to whether Yan Liang was actually a military officer much less a warrior of repute or simply made that way in the novel to make Guan Yu look better by hyping up whoever he'd cut down.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

I totally do also. 8's system seemed like they were putting effort into making it worse but still functional. I wish you could temper 5 star weapons, or at least you could grind / re-run them for different traits.

I agree. Kind of. Maybe. Letting you change the attributes of the five star weapons could end up feeling like DW6 all over where none of the weapons really feel different other than some marginal stat increases. It would be cool if they did like WO3 and let you change the stats on the five star / unique weapons but gave them huge compatability boosts or did like DW3 (I think?) where the fourth weapons could get attributes that would not appear on lower weapons at all.

I do like the five star weapons though, most of them are really good and it makes me use elements I probably wouldn't normally. If I could set everyone's weapons to whatever it would all just be Slash, Flash, Morass, and Frenzy all the time. They really need to get around to releasing the DLC so that I can start carrying two five star weapons on my dudes.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
As far as the history and pseudo-history goes, there's a Tumblr for that.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Someone brought up Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate stuff in the past page but Koei Wiki has more/new details, like the nine-tailed fox character.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Started playing WO3 again to try and get everyone on S proficiency (need those sweet, fictional trophies) and remembered how much I like the DW6 outfits. Some of 'em are so out there that they make the new ones boring, like Pang Tong as a moth or Zhou Yun's silver armor.

Does anyone here have those graph like images of the hypothetical and the 5-star weapon requirements for DW8 for each kingdom? So far I've only been able to find Shu's, but I finished that one already. There are other guides out there, but those pictures looked more organized.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Vincent posted:

Does anyone here have those graph like images of the hypothetical and the 5-star weapon requirements for DW8 for each kingdom? So far I've only been able to find Shu's, but I finished that one already. There are other guides out there, but those pictures looked more organized.

I'm assuming you're simply looking for information on accomplishing these goals so here's what I have.

I used this guide here for the weapons but the Koei Wiki has its own for all the weapons as well if a lot more cluttered, the actual info is underneath all the weapon images.

For the hypothetical routes I was using a site that had picture guides of both these things painstakingly translated for the foreign version and it was cluttered, but again, the Koei Wiki has you covered on that with better layout.

e. Maybe this is what you're looking for?
e2. Also found that website that I used myself

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 1, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzU6Vp1VL-k

So Pirate Warriors 2 is out now in Europe and coming this Tuesday to North America, has anyone got it/getting it?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I sure am. It really seems like the first Pirate Warriors, which was already pretty good, with all the stupid bullshit cut out and the combat system hella improved. Plus, I really dig One Piece so I'd like it anyways.

Can't wait to play as Garp.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lunethex posted:

I'm assuming you're simply looking for information on accomplishing these goals so here's what I have.

I used this guide here for the weapons but the Koei Wiki has its own for all the weapons as well if a lot more cluttered, the actual info is underneath all the weapon images.

For the hypothetical routes I was using a site that had picture guides of both these things painstakingly translated for the foreign version and it was cluttered, but again, the Koei Wiki has you covered on that with better layout.

e. Maybe this is what you're looking for?
e2. Also found that website that I used myself

Thanks, but I'm also using the koeiwarriors guides, but I meant this

but for Wu and Jin

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vincent posted:

Thanks, but I'm also using the koeiwarriors guides, but I meant this

but for Wu and Jin

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzU6Vp1VL-k

So Pirate Warriors 2 is out now in Europe and coming this Tuesday to North America, has anyone got it/getting it?
I will probably get it now that I'm caught up on the manga, but I'll wait some time, I've still got a lot of games on the backlog thanks to plus.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's a rumor that Koei is going to announce Shin Gundam Musou this week. Boy, that's going to confuse the English title numbering even more, having Shin be the FOURTH game in the series.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a rumor that Koei is going to announce Shin Gundam Musou this week. Boy, that's going to confuse the English title numbering even more, having Shin be the FOURTH game in the series.

Oh maaaaaaan. Except what, it would have a lot of AGE suits and characters? :geno:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No idea how Pirate Warriors 2 measures up to the rest of the Musou stuff but it is a huge improvement on the first game. They even made Hannyabal's flames less annoying and put nicer looking background objects in Shabondy. And just having to hit square at level select to play online is a loving masterstroke.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's about drat time we got another one. DWG3 is the best non Dynasty non Orochi warriors game in my opinion and it's driven me crazy that we have gone so long without hearing about a followup.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Totally jonesin' for new DWG. Hope it's on the Xbox like the other ones.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just want an original story and environments that are worth anything at all. Even stuff on the level of Orochi would be fine. And bring back space stages!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just want an original story and environments that are worth anything at all. Even stuff on the level of Orochi would be fine. And bring back space stages!

I didn't care much for the space levels in DWG2 but I did miss them in DWG3 for some reason. I really liked most of the levels in DWG3 but there seemed like there were too few of them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

For clarification, Weekly Famitsu's supposed leaked cover/index for next week advertises Shin Gundam Musou for PS3 and Vita. Could be interesting I guess.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Would it be weird to ask for/want a Shin Koihime Musou game that's an actual Musou game and not a strategy visual novel thing?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Shin Gundam Musou is real according to accredited magazine leaker Sinobi. Due out December 19th on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita. Will include over 100 mobile suits and weapon growth.

Takoluka posted:

Would it be weird to ask for/want a Shin Koihime Musou game that's an actual Musou game and not a strategy visual novel thing?

There's the fighting game if that's any consolation :kiddo:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That's soon. Hope it still runs at 60 fps.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Even at its best, Gundam Musou just doesn't capture basically anything I like about Gundam very well...

Takoluka posted:

Well, it's not really theoretical since you just DID ask for it, and yeah it is a bit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

quote:

Shin Gundam Musou is in development for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

The PlayStation 3 version will cost 7,980 yen and the PS Vita version 6,980 yen when it releases on December 19 in Japan.

The game brings back realistic-style visuals after Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3‘s cel-shaded graphics. It also revives Official Mode, where you can relive the original stories of Gundam SEED, Unicorn, and other series. There’s also an original storyline available through the game’s Ultimate Mode.

In battle, you can use Combination Bursts to summon battleships. Weapons like Beam Sabers and Beam Rifles are available, and are loaded with strengthening components. You can also control a giant Mobile Armor suit.

The game will include the largest amount of Mobile Suits in the series yet—over 100. The following mecha have been confirmed to appear:

RX-78-2 Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam)
MS-065 Char’s Zak (Mobile Suit Gundam)
MSN-02 Zeong (Mobile Suit Gundam)
MSZ-006 Z Gundam (Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam)
AMX-004 Qubeley (Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam)
RX-93 v Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack)
MSN-04 Sazabi (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack)
GN-0000 + GNR-010 00 Raiser (Mobile Suit Gundam 00)
Concept-X 6-1-2 Turn X (Turn A Gundam)
RX-0 Unicorn Gundam (Gundam Unicorn))
MSN-065 Sinanju (Gundam Unicorn))
NZ-666 Kshatriya (Gundam Unicorn))
RX-0 Banshee (Gundam Unicorn))
GAT-X105 Strike Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed)
GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed)
ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny)
ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny)
ZGMF-X425 Destiny Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny)

Development is currently 80 percent complete.

Here we go.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
"We took the things people liked from DWG2 and the things people liked from DWG3 and dumped a couple dozen more suits in."

Sounds good to me. Here's hoping we get some more G Gundam suits (we won't).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hmm, I dunno, I really liked the cel-shaded style of 3. I guess we'll see how it goes, hoping for more G Gundam suits as well, and if not, then at least let us have the Dendrobium, since they're apparently adding playable mobile armors.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
They re-titled it "SHIN" because they are combining the classic DW style with Gundam Extreme VS.

A guy can dream, can't he?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sonata Mused posted:

They re-titled it "SHIN" because they are combining the classic DW style with Gundam Extreme VS.

A guy can dream, can't he?
Naw, I think they finally decided to use their whole rear end and wanted to get away from the previous entries, same as with Shin Hokuto Musou (which I guess still wasn't great...).

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Missing that cel shading. Hope they still do that chain explosion thing with enemies. That was a lot of fun in Gundam 3.

e: more screenshots here: http://gematsu.com/2013/09/first-look-at-shin-gundam-musou

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 4, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

Missing that cel shading. Hope they still do that chain explosion thing with enemies. That was a lot of fun in Gundam 3.

e: more screenshots here: http://gematsu.com/2013/09/first-look-at-shin-gundam-musou

See those Zeta Gundam screenshots? Space stages are back, muchachos. :getin:

Also hoping for chain explosions. That was one of the things that put DWG above and beyond for pure catharsis.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
All I want is more G Gundam. Hell, now that Master Asia's English voice actor is dead, none of the original dub VAs are in the game. Give me Rising Gundam, Spiegel, Nobel, even Chibodee's! Something!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jibo posted:

Sounds good to me. Here's hoping we get some more G Gundam suits (we won't).
I still want goddamn Allenby :argh:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

This game's gonna own.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Give me all of G Gundam. Story mode. Gundams. EVERYTHING.

Also, I really liked the Cel-shaded style. Worked really well, I thought.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I was also a big fan of the cell shading. I've played DWG2 recently and I really like the not cell shaded graphics as well, just not as much. Those pictures are kind of small but they do look better than I remember DWG2 looking so hopefully it all balances out.

DWG2 made me watch G Gundam,and all of the original Gundam up through Z Gundam and Char's Counter attack. Maybe I'll check out ZZ and this ultra animu Gundam Seed crap next.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Sonata Mused posted:

Give me all of G Gundam. Story mode. Gundams. EVERYTHING.

Also, I really liked the Cel-shaded style. Worked really well, I thought.

I just want a G Gundam Fighting game.

But failing that, yeah, more G Gundam representation in the new DWG would be fantastic.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm Vita'ing the gently caress out of this.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

TheTofuShop posted:

I just want a G Gundam Fighting game.

But failing that, yeah, more G Gundam representation in the new DWG would be fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQA7m6zC0qk

It was actually pretty good for the time but I prefer the Wing game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man Smoker is a ton of fun to play in Pirate Warriors 2. I like how they made every character REALLY REALLY distinct. It's kind of impressive, to be honest. They all have their own unique gimmicks, speeds, fuckloads of attacks... It just seems so drat POLISHED. I'm only a bit concerned with there not being a post-story mode besides challenge missions. If this game had the missions system of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 it'd officially overtake WO3 as my top Warriors game.

Then again WO3 didn't have any post-story game mode either and it's my top game currently, so maybe I'm being unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man Smoker is a ton of fun to play in Pirate Warriors 2. I like how they made every character REALLY REALLY distinct. It's kind of impressive, to be honest. They all have their own unique gimmicks, speeds, fuckloads of attacks... It just seems so drat POLISHED. I'm only a bit concerned with there not being a post-story mode besides challenge missions. If this game had the missions system of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 it'd officially overtake WO3 as my top Warriors game.

Then again WO3 didn't have any post-story game mode either and it's my top game currently, so maybe I'm being unfair.

The way they made the characters and the gameplay itself feel distinct was a positive in the last game. Until you played Brooke or Franky and it was more of a hassle than a fun element. I really can't wait until this weekend when I can play the drat game.