Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This chapter has some truly fantastic character moments.

Irvin chops off his own arm to escape the Titan that caught him, Armin delays Reiner and Bertholdt by lying to them that Annie's being tortured in captivity, and Connie demonstrates surprising insight into Ymir's character and persuades Christa to return with the rest of the Recon Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

(Carefully tiptoeing around spoilers :ohdear:)

I'm rereading the Castle Utgard and aftermath arc here during my lunch break, and I see that most of the 104th squad was being held after Eren's trial under the suspicion that there might be more Titans among them. Most of them that is, except for our main trio and Jean. I can see why our main three are trusted, but I really can't find or think of an explanation as to why they trust Jean of all people to not be a Titan. Yeah he's their friend but so was Annie!

Do we actually know anything about Jean's past yet? Maybe Levi or someone-else knows something about him that we don't yet, and that disqualifies him from suspicion?

Although thinking about it, just consider the people that they did have in holding:

-Historia is under an assumed name and likely has a fake past.
-Ymir has no past.
-Connie and Sasha are from remote country villages, just like Annie claimed to be. Also, Sasha is a runaway with no contact with her family.
-Bert and Ernie claim to be from the same place as Annie.

All of them have something suspicious about them, but does Jean?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pensive posted:

Do we actually know anything about Jean's past yet? Maybe Levi or someone-else knows something about him that we don't yet, and that disqualifies him from suspicion?

Although thinking about it, just consider the people that they did have in holding:

-Historia is under an assumed name and likely has a fake past.
-Ymir has no past.
-Connie and Sasha are from remote country villages, just like Annie claimed to be. Also, Sasha is a runaway with no contact with her family.
-Bert and Ernie claim to be from the same place as Annie.

All of them have something suspicious about them, but does Jean?

Unlike everyone else in the top 10 (plus Ymir), Jean has no memorable personality quirks and has middling strength / fighting ability and middling courage. Jean is the most "normal" person among the named members of the 104th Trainee Squad. And as everyone knows, the person who appears to be the most "normal" in any group of characters always ends up hiding the deepest, darkest secrets. It's always the one you never suspect, as they say.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

JosephWongKS posted:

Unlike everyone else (except for Bert) in the top 10 (plus Ymir), Jean has no memorable personality quirks and has middling strength / fighting ability and middling courage. Jean is the second-most "normal" person among the named members of the 104th Trainee Squad. And as everyone knows, the person who appears to be the most "normal" in any group of characters always ends up hiding the deepest, darkest secrets. It's always the one you never suspect, as they say.

Yeah, we already had this reveal that the least memorable guy was hiding the deepest darkest secret.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Exercu posted:

Yeah, we already had this reveal that the least memorable guy was hiding the deepest darkest secret.

Hah, yeah, that does indeed let Jean off the hook.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Hannes is actually the leader of the titan village and BRA have gone rogue. :mordin:

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Maybe Armin really did eat Eren's mom.

e: orig post for reference, which is one of my favorite thread moments.

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 5, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

Chapter 49 raws are out.

Irwin continues his push for Hardest Motherfucker by cutting off his own arm to escape a Titan and free Eren: http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/49/32/

Also the ending features a special guest from way back in Episode 1, and I'm not talking about Hannes: http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/49/43/
:tviv:
I cannot wait for the translations. This is going to be GOOD.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AradoBalanga posted:

You don't need translations if you know how to read Chinese. :smug:

EDIT: Here's my translation to English of the first 13 pages, if you are in a hurry. More to come later.

Page 1

Panel 1: "You guys! Hurry up and jump down!"

Panel 3: Eren is still in the clutches of the Colossal Titan!

Page 4

Panel 1: Irvin: "Everyone scatter!"

Panel 2: Irvin: "Increase your distance from the Titans!"

Page 7

Panel 3: Christa: "AAAAH!"

Panel 4/5: Eren / Ymir-Titan: "Christa!"

Page 9

Panel 1/2: Ymir-Titan / Colossal Titan: "GROWL!"

Page 10

Panel 1: Jean: "What is this?"

Panel 2: Jean: "Is this hell?"

Panel 3: Irvin: "No..."

Panel 4: Irvin: "It only begins now!"

Page 11

Panel 1: Irvin: "Everyone! ATTACK!"

Panel 2: Connie: "What?"

Panel 3: Irvin: "The very survival of humanity! All depends on this moment! If we lose Eren, humanity may never again regain a future on this world!"

Page 12

Panel 1/2: Irvin: "We shall recover Eren and then cut our way out! Offer our hearts!"

Panel 3: Connie: "Mikasa!"

Panel 4: Jean: "drat it..."

Page 13

Panel 2: "ROOOOOOAR!"

Page 3: Some dude from the King's Guard: "The Recon Squad... have they gone completely mad?"

Page 4: Second dude from the King's Guard: "Hey!"

Page 4: First dude from the King's Guard: "Eh?"

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 6, 2013

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Elotana posted:

Chapter 49 raws are out.
Also the ending features a special guest from way back in Episode 1, and I'm not talking about Hannes: http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/49/43/

I thought about this the other day but for the author to actually pull it through... drat.

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah holy poo poo. If it wasn't so late I'd have to stay and check for quick translations. :f5:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I think this chapter is one of the first times I've ever said "What the gently caress" out loud while reading it. Holy poo poo this artist/writer is brutal.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chinese-to-English translations for Pages 14 to 26:

Page 14

Panel 4: Eren: “What’s been happening since earlier? What’s going on?”

Panel 5: Reiner: “Can’t move… Need to break free of these Titans as soon as possible… Otherwise the situation will get worse and worse…”

Panel 6: Reiner: “Since that’s the case…”

Page 15

Panel 2: Reiner: “Hold on tight, Bertholdt!”

Panel 3: Armored Titan: “Just a little bit more!”

Panel 4: Armored Titan: “Only just a little bit more!”

Page 16

Panel 2: Jean: All right!

Panel 3: Jean: He finally loosened his hand!

Panel 4: Mikasa: Now…

Panel 4: Jean: Hey Mikasa? Didn’t you see the Titans next to them?

Panel 5: Jean: Come to think of it… who really wants to give away their lives? And charge headlong right into that pile of Titans?

Page 17

Panel 2: Irwin: Forward!

Page 18

Panel 2: Some dude: Ah?

Page 19

Panel 3: Some dude: AHHHHH! Commander Irwin!

Page 20

Panel 1: Irwin: FORWARD!

Page 21

Panel 1: Irwin: Eren is right in front of us! FORWARD!

Page 24

Panel 3: Bertholdt: Ah!?

Page 25

Panel 3: Some dude: Umf!

Panel 5: Mikasa: Ow!

Page 26

Panel 1: Mikasa: Ah! Ah!

Panel 1: Jean: Mikasa!

Panel 2: Jean: drat IT! YOU BASTARD!

Panel 3: Jean: Let go of her!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chinese-to-English translation for Pages 27 to 43

Page 27

Panel 1: OHHHHHHHHH!

Panel 2: Jean: Woah! drat it!

Page 28

Panel 1: Bertholdt: We went through hell and high water just to get here!

Panel 2: Bertholdt: We absolutely must bring Eren back!

Panel 3: Bertholdt: Back to our home town!

Panel 3: Eren: drat it…

Panel 4: All because I got myself captured… At this rate, everyone’s going to die…

Panel 5: Armin: Bertholdt!

Page 29

Panel 1: Eren: Armin!

Panel 4: Armin: Just…

Panel 5: Armin: Just what should I sacrifice?

Panel 6: Armin: Besides my life… what else must I sacrifice to change everything?

Panel 7: Armin: What else…

Page 30

Panel 1: Armin: The two of you… is this all right? Abandoning your comrade and running away back to your hometown like this…

Panel 5: Armin: Are you just going to abandon Annie and not care about her? Annie... she’s now in an underground dungeon in the northern region.

Page 31

Panel 1: Armin: Currently being tortured.

Panel 2: Armin: When we heard her shrieks and screams, we immediately understood, Even if she’s able to regenerate the wounds we inflict on her, she will still feel each and every pain.

Panel 3: Armin: We torture her very carefully, to ensure that she doesn’t die. Even at this moment, Annie’s flesh… she certainly doesn’t have a single moment of rest.

Panel 4: Armin: She’s currently undergoing our intricately designed tortures…

Panel 5: Bertholdt: Those demons’ descendants! I will kill them all!

Page 34

Panel 1: Irwin: Everyone retreat!

Page 35

Panel 2: Bertholdt: Ah…

Page 36

Panel 1: Christa: AHHHH!

Panel 3: Christa: I finally… killed a Titan… Ymir…

Panel 4: Connie: Christa!

Panel 4: Christa: Woah!

Page 37

Panel 1: Connie: What are you doing? It’s time to retreat!

Panel 1: Christa: Connie…

Panel 2: Christa: Forget me! Leave me!

Panel 3: Connie: Huh?

Panel 4: Christa: Ymir already said, if she doesn’t bring me along, she;s going to be killed by Reiner and his group!

Panel 5: Christa: I’ve already decided to go with them!

Panel 6: Connie: What’s the meaning of this? Did Ymir tell you that?

Panel 7 : Christa: That’s right! Now hurry me and let me go!

Page 38

Panel 1: Connie: Is that really coming from the person who, for the sake of saving you, charged into battle with the Titans without a care for her own life? That Ymir?

Panel 4: Connie: Ymir’s only been serious when she was rescuing you. Admittedly, I don’t know how and why Ymir will be killed by Reiner’s group. Anyway, just calm down a little.

Panel 5: Connie: No matter how you look at it, if you stay here, the chances of the two of you dying is certainly higher! This kind of thing…

Panel 6: Connie: Is something even an idiot like me can understand clearly.

Page 39

Panel 2: Connie: What?

Page 41

Panel 2: Jean: Reiner that fucker…

Panel 3: Jean: He’s actually throwing the Titans at us!

Panel 4: Some dude: Woah!

Panel 5: Some dude: Ah!

Page 42

Panel 1: Eren! Mikasa!

Panel 2: Ouch!

Panel 3: Mikasa: Eren!

Page 43

Panel 3: It's been 5 years since Eren's mother was eaten by a Titan. That Titan shall once again drag Eren and Mikasa into the depths of despair!

END OF CHAPTER

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 6, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elotana posted:

Chapter 49 raws are out.

I was wondering how they were going to make Eren turn into a Titan in the defense of Reiner and Berthold. He's going to lose his poo poo and probably go on another murder/revenge spree.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
Does anyone know why in one of the final pages Mikasa was flashing back to getting grabbed by a titan? It seemed like a weird place to put that drawing.

Also, I get the feeling that Armin is going to turn into the next Erwin in the future. There's even that page where Armin's basically thinking "What would Erwin do?"

PowFu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 6, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

PowFu posted:

Does anyone know why in one of the final pages Mikasa was flashing back to getting grabbed by a titan? It seemed like a weird place to put that drawing.

Also, I get the feeling that Armin is going to turn into the next Erwin in the future. There's even that page where Armin's basically thinking "What would Erwin do?"

Yeah I've felt ever since Armin's tactical genius was fully realized after he outed Annie that he's basically being groomed to replace Erwin when the need arises. http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/49/30/ great panel at the bottom left.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

PowFu posted:

That's because Mikasa was seriously injured by the titan when she was grabbed. It looks like she's now incapacitated and can't fight properly, hence her keeling over and laying there instead of getting up and running to Eren.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of ruining these really good revelations for people who don't read the manga. Especially when people go into these kinds of threads and post spoilers as speculation.

To be honest I figuratively put my nose up at people who don't read the book/manga before the anime or whichever one comes out first basically then complain about being spoiled by things on the internet.

Either loving read the books or avoid those parts of the internet where this discussion would be taking place.

And if you don't want to, I probably don't like that person very much anyways unless we have other things in common.

That being said spoiling someone just to be a shitbag about it isn't very cool.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Translations of the chapter are just starting to pop up now: http://m.imgur.com/a/JqMdX

Jesus Irwin. This chapter will be loving amazing once they finally get around to animating it in four years.

Edit: who was it that punched the Titan right in their loving eye while upside down?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 6, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm surprised that no one here has commented on how stone-cold Armin is, in describing Annie's fictitious "torture" in great detail.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Edit: who was it that punched the Titan right in their loving eye while upside down?

Jean.

Man, so many people had great moments in this chaper:

Jean rescued Mikasa.

Connie talked Ymir and Christa into returning to the city with the rest of the Recon Squad.

Armin successfully lied to Bert and Ernie about Annie's torture, thus distracting them and creating an opening for Irvin.

And of course, Irvin cut his motherfucking arm off and freed Eren. :black101:

EDIT: VV Oh yes, and Christa scored her first Titan kill. VV

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 6, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's weird but I suspect that Armin's lie about Annie will end up backfiring on them, considering that Bert looked like he was about to change his mind last chapter and now he's going to kill them all. :stare:

A lot of awesome character moments. Getting to see Jean and Connie be badass was nice and Christa's first kill was kind of funny.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Oh man, the return of Chuckles in the last page was downright terrifying. If there's any titan that Eren hates more than Bertholdt and Reiner, it's that son of a bitch. He'll probably be splattered all over Eren's giant feet come next chapter.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soulcleaver posted:

Oh man, the return of Chuckles in the last page was downright terrifying. If there's any titan that Eren hates more than Bertholdt and Reiner, it's that son of a bitch. He'll probably be splattered all over Eren's giant feet come next chapter.

The most hilarious end would be a one page spread of Eren just murdering the hell out of it. Then that's it. It's dead and doesn't appear again.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

FauxGateau posted:

The most hilarious end would be a one page spread of Eren just murdering the hell out of it. Then that's it. It's dead and doesn't appear again.

That'd be extremely hilarious (but also extremely unlikely), considering this chapter ends with "It's been 5 years since Eren's mother was eaten by a Titan. That Titan shall once again drag Eren and Mikasa into the depths of despair!"

EDIT: Maybe they kill the Titan in one panel, and then they find the half-digested corpse of Eren's mother in the Titan's remains. Thus, the depths of despair.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

Maybe. I can't say it wouldn't be satisfying. But this situation represents a really good opportunity for Eren to have character development. Is he going to make mother-eating Titan go splat next chapter, or is he going to protect his friends at the time when they most need him? Mikasa's out of action, probably badly injured, and all the others are vulnerable. Ervin's even down an arm. It's the worst time Eren could choose to get his rage on, and yet it's a situation almost calculated to make him attack that one titan. If he does go for it, he might end up feeling some really nasty guilt later on, especially if one of his friends ends up dying.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Van Dine posted:

Maybe. I can't say it wouldn't be satisfying. But this situation represents a really good opportunity for Eren to have character development. Is he going to make mother-eating Titan go splat next chapter, or is he going to protect his friends at the time when they most need him? Mikasa's out of action, probably badly injured, and all the others are vulnerable. Ervin's even down an arm. It's the worst time Eren could choose to get his rage on, and yet it's a situation almost calculated to make him attack that one titan. If he does go for it, he might end up feeling some really nasty guilt later on, especially if one of his friends ends up dying.

This is probably most likely to happen in all actuality.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Van Dine posted:

That covers Eren being "dragged into despair", but how about Mikasa?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Injured and on the frontline? Gonna go with brutal near death experience, though probably nothing crippling because that would limit any future Mikasa's abs spreads.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

JosephWongKS posted:

Eren dies at the end of the chapter, turns out Armin was the main character all along. :getin:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Eren dies at the end of the chapter, turns out Armin was the main character all along. :getin:

I thought we already established that the titan that showed up at the end of the chapter was Armin. :v:

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
So I don't know if this was just JosephWongKS' translation as it doesn't quite pack the same punch with some of the newest translations, but when Bertholdt gets super pissed and refers to the Wall humans as being descendants of demons, he's probably referring to the Titans meaning that a certain group (most likely the inner most population) are actually Titan's turned human or somehow related to the titans. Since titans find Bert and Ernie munchable they (B&E) probably only think that their kind (human-titans or their home town populace) are the last true humans remaining.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

JosephWongKS posted:

Maybe it'll turn out that Grisha gave their mom the serum as well and she's in control of that titan, but they only find out after they kill it and her :getin:

No, but for real, I imagine that Hannes may finally end up cashing in all those death flags he set off. It'd be a pretty clean end, since he'd be able to redeem his regret about not sacrificing himself for Karla by giving his life to protect Eren and Mikasa. As much as I don't want Hannes to go, that's the only real way I can make sense of it without something completely unexpected happening, since they both have ties to him anyway.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

JosephWongKS posted:

That'd be extremely hilarious (but also extremely unlikely), considering this chapter ends with "It's been 5 years since Eren's mother was eaten by a Titan. That Titan shall once again drag Eren and Mikasa into the depths of despair!"

EDIT: Maybe they kill the Titan in one panel, and then they find the half-digested corpse of Eren's mother in the Titan's remains. Thus, the depths of despair.

Hannes is probably finally going to face it down to buy them time and get killed for the trouble. :smith:

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

No, but for real, I imagine that Hannes may finally end up cashing in all those death flags he set off. It'd be a pretty clean end, since he'd be able to redeem his regret about not sacrificing himself for Karla by giving his life to protect Eren and Mikasa. As much as I don't want Hannes to go, that's the only real way I can make sense of it without something completely unexpected happening, since they both have ties to him anyway.

Oh hell. I think you're right. Narratively speaking, it makes complete sense for Hannes to face off against that titan to try to make up for running away the first time. It also gives a reason for Eren and Mikasa to be once again left in despair by that particular titan. I'll be really sorry to see Hannes go, but it's going to happen. And here I was thinking the guy had to be indestructible after pinging so many death flags and not dying yet. At least he'll probably have some heroic last moments. Cold comfort, really. The man did the right thing back when he grabbed the kids and ran for their lives.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Lol at everyone predicting a cliched redemptive death from Isayama

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Elotana posted:

Lol at everyone predicting a cliched redemptive death from Isayama

If anything I'm betting Hannes survives, but it's someone else who dies because where's the fun in giving a minor character redemption? Even the main characters don't get that!

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I did also consider that Hannes would continue to defy all expectation and fly in the face of death again. But I just couldn't think of another character who Mikasa actually cared about enough to be affected by their death. Not unless Isayama was actually going to kill off one of the main three v:v:v

I wouldn't be surprised if he threw another huge curveball next chapter, I'm just not creative enough to even think about what it could be.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah I've felt ever since Armin's tactical genius was fully realized after he outed Annie that he's basically being groomed to replace Erwin when the need arises. http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/49/30/ great panel at the bottom left.

I'm quite certain now that Armin's character arc is going to end in tragedy. The thing he most admires about Pixis and Erwin / Irvin is their ruthlessness, their ability and willingness to sacrifice even the things most important to them in order to achieve their objectives. If he's thinking about "What Would Erwin Do?" at crisis moments and even outright thinking "What must I sacrifice?", sooner or later he's going to be in a position where he has to sacrifice Eren and/or Mikasa to secure some objective or other. And he's going to do it, and then afterwards he will kill himself in grief and guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Armin's going to come up with a plan to kill all the Titans and become their Speaker for the Dead

Then some talking pig-trees will show up and he'll start speechifying about gay marriage