Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

Anyone know a good SRPG that doesn't boil down to "snap game in half with overpowered poo poo and just two shot the entire enemy army"? I'm getting the itch for a good one, and FFT is broken a tad too easily for me.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (the 2012 one)

The game is all about balancing on a razor's edge in battle. You will lose soldiers (and death is permanent) but you suck it up and move on. You can break the game in the endgame if you really know what you're doing, but the fight to get to that point is very challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Galick posted:

Anyone know a good SRPG that doesn't boil down to "snap game in half with overpowered poo poo and just two shot the entire enemy army"? I'm getting the itch for a good one, and FFT is broken a tad too easily for me.

In short, I'd just like a strategy RPG where there's actual strategy instead of big rear end numbers :v:

PC and older systems - PS2 and back.
Vandal Hearts, on the original Playstation. If you approach this game like you would Shining Force the first level will destroy you, and the rest doesn't really get any easier. That said the gameplay is basic but well executed, and there really isn't any easy way to break it across your knee.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Can anyone recommend a town building/sort of RTS like game?

Maybe something along the lines of Dwarf Fortress, but without the colossal amount of depth and :psyduck: that DF goes into. Are Gnomoria or Towns any good?
I also really enjoyed the original Stronghold games, but more enjoyed building a little town and watching resources pile up in the granaries and things :3: over the combat part.

I'm bored of overly action games at the moment and just want something a bit more chilled to sink some time into where I can watch some sort of progress occurring.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Vitamins posted:

Majesty obviously. The sequel is more modern but not quite as great.

You build buildings, but the NPC heroes take care of themselves and instead of controlling them, you can only offer rewards as an incentive. Though occasionally you can make a some immediate difference, too, by casting spells. I.e. a well timed Invisibility to give a low level Wizard enough time to finish off a big baddie will pay off big when he levels up to be a walking death machine. It's great.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I haven't played Towns myself but Gnomoria is a cool game. Unless you're looking for an actual town to build, because you build a ton of different stuff but it's mostly one big cave complex with terrain manipulation and a bunch of things going on above ground. It sounds like what you want, so I'd say try it out and see if you like it. They have a demo that gets into everything except for the combat, which you can disable in the full game too by the way.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Vitamins posted:

Maybe something along the lines of Dwarf Fortress, but without the colossal amount of depth and :psyduck: that DF goes into. Are Gnomoria or Towns any good?
I also really enjoyed the original Stronghold games, but more enjoyed building a little town and watching resources pile up in the granaries and things :3: over the combat part.

I'm bored of overly action games at the moment and just want something a bit more chilled to sink some time into where I can watch some sort of progress occurring.

Obligatory Anno recommendation.

I've been playing Dungeon Village on my Android phone lately, too, and for 5 bucks it's completely stealing my soul :negative:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Vitamins posted:

Anno series, older Settlers games(2 and 3), combat is often optional, all about running production chains.
Maybe Tropico too, production chains are 2 step at most, but you have to provide services for your citizens. And you can observe them personally like in theme park games.(you also can have them shot or jailed if you want)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

pigdog posted:

Majesty obviously. The sequel is more modern but not quite as great.

You build buildings, but the NPC heroes take care of themselves and instead of controlling them, you can only offer rewards as an incentive. Though occasionally you can make a some immediate difference, too, by casting spells. I.e. a well timed Invisibility to give a low level Wizard enough time to finish off a big baddie will pay off big when he levels up to be a walking death machine. It's great.

Majesty is really great but some later levels are literally impossible unless you follow a very very specific build order in the beginning.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vitamins posted:

I always liked the Caesar (and related series), but I don't know how they hold up. Sound like the kind of thing you mean though.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations, Goons!

I tried the Gnomoria demo and it was pretty good, but I'm a big baby that can't get over dated graphics so I didn't try the Majesty game.

I went and watched some gameplay of Anno 2070 and that looked exactly like what I wanted so I went and bought that on Steam. Now if only I could play it right now. (Why yes Ubisoft I would love to download your game store through the Steam game store so I can update it 5 times only for you to bring down the servers so I can't play my game right now :allears:)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Vitamins posted:

Can anyone recommend me a decent driving game, either off-road or track-based?

I really like stuff along the lines of Fuel, the Dirt games, and all the old Colin McRae rally stuff etc. I've tried to get into Test Drive Unlimited 2 but it seems a bit shallow and the aspirational lifestyle stuff pisses me off.

Is there anything along those lines that's been released recently? I just wish Codemasters would release a new rallying game without tacked on energy drinks.

It isn't recent, but Richard Burn Rally is the best rally game I've ever played, bar none.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm struggling with something to play on my laptop in bed. Generally I'll play something while my girlfriend watches TV or whatever so I need a game where I'm also 'present' in the real world if that makes sense.

Football Manager 2012 was perfect for this as it's totally at-your-own-pace, not skill based, sound isn't necessary and it can be paused and put down at any time. I've just lost interest in it, though and was wondering if there's anything else?

I like games where you can build something long-term or stamp your way of playing on the game. City-builders are good but I've played Sim City 4 to death and I hear the new one is a bit crap. I like a game with depth and more than one way of succeeding, I'm not a fan of RTS war games, really.

My laptop isn't that powerful but it's decent, the graphics card is an HD6470M, it shocked me by running FIFA 13 on full setting at 60FPS recently.

I'm considering one of Fate of the World, Democracy 2, Anno 2070, Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4

If someone could prod me toward any of these or warn me off them, or come up with another game, that would be great, I feel like I'm coming down with option paralysis with so many games and limited free time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Walton Simons posted:

I'm struggling with something to play on my laptop in bed. Generally I'll play something while my girlfriend watches TV or whatever so I need a game where I'm also 'present' in the real world if that makes sense.

Football Manager 2012 was perfect for this as it's totally at-your-own-pace, not skill based, sound isn't necessary and it can be paused and put down at any time. I've just lost interest in it, though and was wondering if there's anything else?

I like games where you can build something long-term or stamp your way of playing on the game. City-builders are good but I've played Sim City 4 to death and I hear the new one is a bit crap. I like a game with depth and more than one way of succeeding, I'm not a fan of RTS war games, really.

My laptop isn't that powerful but it's decent, the graphics card is an HD6470M, it shocked me by running FIFA 13 on full setting at 60FPS recently.

I'm considering one of Fate of the World, Democracy 2, Anno 2070, Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4

If someone could prod me toward any of these or warn me off them, or come up with another game, that would be great, I feel like I'm coming down with option paralysis with so many games and limited free time.
Civ 5 is as hard as you make it and its turn-based so you can take as long as you want.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Cheers for the recommendation but I already have Civ 5, I like it but I always play to WW2-level tech and get bored.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Walton Simons posted:

Crusader Kings 2 is great for this, as nearly everything major will pause the game for you if you get distracted and leave it on at full speed. It's my go to game for when I'm watching TV.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Walton Simons posted:

If your laptop will run it, then it's another obligatory Anno recommendation... but be warned that Anno can actually take a chunk of power to run. You'll probably be okay though.

If you like the "merchant" side of empire running, Patrician is pretty sweet too, especially if you're half paying attention since you can set up your shipping routes and then check in and adjust prices or buy businesses while half watching TV with your girlfriend. You have to be more interested in crushing your competitors with underhanded business deals and price fixing rather than the actual building aspects, though, and it's not for everyone.

If you REALLY want a challenge, set up a space empire in X3 :v:

It's not long term or building or anything much like you described, but I felt like I should also mention that Dungeons of Dredmor is basically the perfect "doesn't require much graphical resources and is perfect for a laptop in bed" game.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

Laptop in bed
Pretty much any roguelike fits the bill. If you're looking for something that allows to build long-term, check out UnReal World. If you want something more modern and fast-paced, but along similar lines, Don't Starve runs really well on my 2011 Macbook Air.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Any decent grand strategy games set in the u.s. civil war? I've played and immensely enjoyed the Sid Meiers Civil War collection, but I'm hoping to find something on a bigger scale. Don't particularly care what kind of combat engine it has.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
:siren: The Walking Dead is on :steam: sale at 75% off! :siren:

If you're unfamiliar, it's like a point-and-click adventure, with a focus on dialog and character interaction. And holy poo poo, I have never seen a game do character interaction, dialog writing, and actual choices so well! None of this Bioware "Kick Puppy / Hug Puppy" choice, more like "There's 10 folks in your group, ration out 4 meals, see who hates you."

Even when faced with "Pick one of these two horrible options", you can usually also choose "Do nothing" and the game is written to allow it, and most times it's not a game over even. My third playthrough as an incompetent mime is equal parts hilarious and painfully depressing

If you care about story at all, I cannot recommend it enough! Even if you don't like the comic/TV series, it has nothing in common except the setting. It's not perfect (some people take pragmatic decisions really personally, and some choices have kinda forced outcomes) but by and large it is amazing.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 6, 2013

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Any decent grand strategy games set in the u.s. civil war? I've played and immensely enjoyed the Sid Meiers Civil War collection, but I'm hoping to find something on a bigger scale. Don't particularly care what kind of combat engine it has.

If you really, really don't care about the combat engine, go google No Greater Glory. It's a great, strategic-level Civil War game that involves political party management, international diplomacy, logistics and supply, and macro-scale strategy. USA and CSA are both playable and have different victory conditions. Generals have a prestige ranking that has to be taken into consideration when assigning commands, so no putting US Grant in charge of the Army in 1861 (and there's an option to randomize general stats, so he might not even be your best general anyway). Setting up your armies and their supply each season will take a pad of paper to plot out, and even when you command armies to move, the general might puss out and decide to stay at home (McClellan!! :argh:) particularly since all enemy army strengths you observe during the strategic phase are estimates and may be wrong.

Oh, and it came out in 1991. And has an interface that sucked even in 1991.

Still, it's the most entertaining Civil War game I've ever played.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 24, 2019

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I'll probably go for Anno 2070 or Crusader Kings 2, eventually both. I had no idea Anno had such a good reception for some reason. I will look at the others mentioned, too. Don't Starve looks good and I could see myself getting into Patrician for sure.

X3 I've already played, Rebirth is going on the desktop when it's out and is playable.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Extra posted:

I'm looking for the game that is closest in similarity to Morrowind. To give you an idea I would say Oblivion was nothing like Morrowind.

Gothic 2 is pretty drat close in every way. Free-form character development instead of classes, an open world to explore with lots of secrets everywhere and somewhat janky combat system. The melee combat has more depth to it, the trade-off being the magic not being completely broken/awesome. Oh yeah, and you roleplay a prisoner on an island full of people who don't like you, which is basically Morrowind in a nutshell. 10 bucks from Gog.com

A couple things you should know: Difficulty scales more sharply than Morrowind and there is no level scaling. If you are getting one-shotted by monsters, it is a sign that you should be adventuring somewhere else. Also, the Gog version comes with the expansion which adds a lot of content that is actually meant for mid-level characters, so it's a good idea to prioritize its quest chain (the water ring) instead of saving it for last.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any open world stealth games? Most RPGs give you an unlimited invisibility cheat code once you reach an arbitrary level in the stealth skill. Shooters aren't too great about it either. You can usually exploit the poo poo out of enemy AI because of the tendency for enemies to forget that Johnny just got taken down with an arrow. I've been playing Sir, You Are Being Hunted and it's really gotten me hungry for a game where I'm the hunter instead of the hunted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any open world stealth games? Most RPGs give you an unlimited invisibility cheat code once you reach an arbitrary level in the stealth skill. Shooters aren't too great about it either. You can usually exploit the poo poo out of enemy AI because of the tendency for enemies to forget that Johnny just got taken down with an arrow. I've been playing Sir, You Are Being Hunted and it's really gotten me hungry for a game where I'm the hunter instead of the hunted.

It's not open-world, but Splinter Cell: Blacklist has had some surprisingly clever enemy AI. They notice missing dudes in their area and will often go take a look where their buddy's route is to see why he didn't turn up for their usual chat. Their range of vision is also better than the usual "cone" most game enemies have, and there aren't any moments of "huh where did he go?" while you're sitting not two feet in front of them in the shadows.

The game's packed full of sub-missions that can be played solo or in co-op (the campaign missions can only be done solo though), and unlike the linear design of the campaign levels, they tend to be smaller and open-map. For example; one of them is a billionaire's mega-yacht on which you need to hack a terminal, a phone and the comm antenna. You can do them in any order you please as you sneak around the ship.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Maybe this goes without saying, but have you tried Day Z? Completely open world, and you are kind of both the hunter and the hunted in that. It's not stealth per se but stealthiness/careful movement is certainly important.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Definitely not a fan of ArmA, but the new Splinter Cell sounds promising. I wrote it off because it's been hard to find a simple yes or no answer on whether or not it's a stealth game or an FPS with stealth in it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Can anyone recommend a difficult, realistic, semi-open tactical shooter that manages to capture the feeling of being a random soldier in a whole huge group of random soldiers instead of being Rambo? I can see you all rushing to type 'ARMA' already, but I need to add the additional qualifier 'and also isn't Arma'. ARMA II runs like absolute dogshit on my computer at anything above the lowest possible screen resolution; it runs at a playable speed at the lowest resolution, but at that resolution everything is so horribly blurry that I can't make out enemies or even clearly identify the terrain, so it's still unplayable. I'll need to find something else to scratch that itch.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Not quite sure if it's what you're looking for but The Hunter is kind of like this. You're dumped into an enormous open world and can hunt a variety of different stuff. Managing to kill anything requires a lot of stealth. (masking not just sight and sound but scent as well--even if you know what you're doing it can be very tricky) It's not like other stealth games though in that if you get detected you're basically screwed--prey is so fast that it will either have fled out of range or mauled you to death before you can get your gun up.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genpei Turtle posted:

Not quite sure if it's what you're looking for but The Hunter is kind of like this. You're dumped into an enormous open world and can hunt a variety of different stuff. Managing to kill anything requires a lot of stealth. (masking not just sight and sound but scent as well--even if you know what you're doing it can be very tricky) It's not like other stealth games though in that if you get detected you're basically screwed--prey is so fast that it will either have fled out of range or mauled you to death before you can get your gun up.

Huh, I hadn't thought to check out actual hunting games. I tried to forget them once Cabela's hunting games turned in to Modern Warfare with lions (which is honestly kind of a badass concept). I'll give this a shot since it's free to play.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Definitely not a fan of ArmA, but the new Splinter Cell sounds promising. I wrote it off because it's been hard to find a simple yes or no answer on whether or not it's a stealth game or an FPS with stealth in it.

It's an amalgamation of the best bits of Conviction and Chaos Theory. If you want to play it classic Splinter Cell style, you can. Want to run-and-gun your way through, alarms be damned? That's totally acceptable as well. The game breaks down mission scores into three different playstyles (with the idea being you aim to score a Gold in one of the three);

Ghost: Pure stealth. Completely unseen or, at worst, nonlethal takedowns (Most of the time you'll be using the crossbow, as it's used to launch things like sticky shockers, sleep gas grenades, noisemakers, etc.)

Panther: Silent Killer. Never seen, save for the bodies found long after you're gone.

Assault: Kill them. Kill them all. Breaking out the automatic weapons, laugh as they sound their alarms, and murder their reinforcements :unsmigghh:.

The gear you use is completely customizable from the outfit you wear (tailors towards being more quiet or more armor, whether it carries more ammo clips or gadgets, and so forth), the gadgets you take, and of course the weapons you want. You get to take a pistol, a longarm (an assault rifle, SMG, shotgun or sniper rifle), and a Special Weapon (this starts off as a stungun that launches sticky-shockers, but you really want to ditch it and buy the crossbow ASAP. Then upgrade it all the way to sleep gas grenades).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Huh, I hadn't thought to check out actual hunting games. I tried to forget them once Cabela's hunting games turned in to Modern Warfare with lions (which is honestly kind of a badass concept). I'll give this a shot since it's free to play.

Oh, I ought to mention though that the FTP content is kind of limited. It'll definitely get you a feel for what the game but the meat is all behind paywalls of one sort or another. There's a ton of annoying microtransactions but the subscriptions will get you access to kill everything and go anywhere, which is all you really need. The extra weapons/equipment is just for added flavor unless there's a particular mission/contest that requires it.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Don't know if I am asking for too much here but is there something around like that's a cross between Supreme Ruler Cold War and Cybernations. Like a nation management game that is persistent, build up your nation handling diplomacy and trade with other player nations while at risk of war, economic sanctions etc. I want something that isn't a new game each session but also isn't just a basic web browser game. Anything like that around?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
My buddy and I are looking for a co-op grand strategy game. We're looking for something like a cross between the abstraction of Civilization and the more granular combat of Total War. We're not grognardy enough for something like Hearts of Iron. We don't care about timeline, but I like future and and classical and my buddy likes classical up to medieval. Alternatively, does Total War Rome 1 have a good mod pack that updates the game and decent co-op?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Takkaryx posted:

My buddy and I are looking for a co-op grand strategy game. We're looking for something like a cross between the abstraction of Civilization and the more granular combat of Total War. We're not grognardy enough for something like Hearts of Iron. We don't care about timeline, but I like future and and classical and my buddy likes classical up to medieval. Alternatively, does Total War Rome 1 have a good mod pack that updates the game and decent co-op?

Rome 1 does not have co-op no matter what mods you use.

The TW series doesn't have much competition in the dual area of grand strategy & tactical combat. I think for most other suggestions you are going to have to compromise on one or the other and Hearts of Iron 2 is a pretty good balance. It isn't too grognardy, try out the demo.

Susurrus
Sep 8, 2011
I'd like to try out a new MMO, preferably free. I'm a bit frustrated with my normal cycle of playing, which seems to be: start game, play for a while, realize none of my friends play, stop playing. If the game had a large goon presence I could get in on, that'd be fantastic so I wouldn't have to do the endless grind alone. Other than that, I really have no preference, so go wild I guess.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Susurrus posted:

I'd like to try out a new MMO, preferably free. I'm a bit frustrated with my normal cycle of playing, which seems to be: start game, play for a while, realize none of my friends play, stop playing. If the game had a large goon presence I could get in on, that'd be fantastic so I wouldn't have to do the endless grind alone. Other than that, I really have no preference, so go wild I guess.

Was going to post the same thing essentially. Hopefully goons have some ideas.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Plantside 2 is a free-to-play FPS MMO with a reasonably strong goon presence where we often wipe the floor with the competition and hang out on mumble bullshitting. Standard fare, plays eerily similarly to Battlefield games, except with thousands of concurrent fighters. That link is a referral that gets you a free gun (one widely regarded as a strong pick for that slot).

Forums thread here. You probably want to roll Vanu on Matherson for the largest goon presence.

Thankfully not pay to win, mostly pay-to-dress-up-your-spaceman-and-paint-your-tank-pink. Buying weapons just fill niches, and you can get them all via experience gain anyway if you like.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 8, 2013

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Susurrus posted:

Try Star Trek Online, it's F2P. I played it to level cap and had a blast despite none of my friends playing it. The game does a great job at making you captain, and there's a lot of focus on your crew, even down to duty officers. Space combat is very well done, ground combat is serviceable...forgettable, but not entirely crap. I really had a blast with the group PVE events. I believe there is also a Goon presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NESguerilla posted:

Are there any good Wii rail shooters out there beyond Dead Space Extraction and the RE:chronicles series? i also played House of the Dead Overkill but was kind of meh on it.

loving whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, that game is the greatest thing in the world. You sadden me.

Nevertheless, there's a House of the Dead 2 and 3 collection you might be interested in, if you can tolerate dated graphics and legendarily bad voice acting.