Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whiskas
May 30, 2005
The main reason I (and I assume many other people) do my own work on my car is because I want to be able to it right the first time. Mechanics at dealerships have to compete with hours on the book and will take shortcuts or half rear end their way through a job to get it done in the time allocated. My S2000 has been at a shop twice, and both times I uncovered poo poo the mechanic did that I would have never tolerated. Things like broken clips, installing the window bumper stop upside down, duct taping the moisture barrier to the door. These cars don't show up in shops frequently so mechanics won't take the time to study the proper steps to get a job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Nodoze posted:

What did you do to break that :v:

Bad Ground?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I work on cars because I want to learn useful poo poo.

The first step towards learning ANYTHING is loving up. A LOT.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Stop being a holier-than-thou armchair mechanic and making GBS threads up my thread. I update this for my enjoyment and for added content for AI, not so I can have 4 more father figures.

Either help me diagnose the vibration or shut the gently caress up and goonsay somewhere else.

You must be a glutton for punishment if you get enjoyment out of this poo poo :v:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

OP, press on regardless.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
After my first clutch job on my first project car (Mitsubishi Colt GLXI) I had some kind of whining at speed that drove me crazy. I was sure I hosed up something while doing the clutch and removed the engine maybe 3 times trying to fix the noise.

After a while I got fed up and while checking the clutch for the fourth time while drunk I had the idea to tow the car at speed without engine and trans. Turns out it was a wheel bearing or something (replaced all the front end wear parts so I can't be sure but at least the whining stopped).

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Moxie Omen posted:

I work on cars because I want to learn useful poo poo.

The first step towards learning ANYTHING is loving up. A LOT.

Everything i Know i learned from loving up my fathers project cars and then fixing them before he got home drunk to discover what i had done quickly. The only way to learn about a thing sometimes is to break it then put it back together.

How did the central locking break? Like it just isn't working anymore?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

From 4 months and a motor ago:

I stand by this advice, even if the OP and Kastein still want to jump on my poo poo over it.

Sure, this stuff is a learning process, but it doesn't have to be a series of disasters.

Please continue to poo poo the thread up and tell the OP how forgetting a goddamn ground cable means he's a horrible mechanic.

Maybe jump up my rear end and tell me I am an ignorant lube monkey and don't know how to spell cavitation, nevermind know what it means, again, as well :allears:

Adiabatic - have you checked to make sure you didn't accidentally bend a heatshield or lose a wiring harness clip or something, so there's some sort of thing dragging on the driveshaft, maybe? I've had that happen before. Clearly it was because I had no idea how to work on my jeep and shouldn't have dived into a drivetrain replacement, I should have brought it to a shop because a broken wiring harness clip that let an O2 sensor plug hang on the rear driveshaft unexpectedly means I don't know how to replace a clutch.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
kastein you ignorant lube monkey! :argh:

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Jared592 posted:

kastein you ignorant lube monkey! :argh:

Well at least now i know what my next tattoo should be.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

AcidRonin posted:

Well at least now i know what my next tattoo should be.

Goon tattooist Toast Face Killah would make a world-class example of this.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Is it still too early to make a backtiger joke? :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Maybe jump up my rear end and tell me I am an ignorant lube monkey and don't know how to spell cavitation, nevermind know what it means, again, as well :allears:

Internet burns cut deep. :ese:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

West SAAB Story posted:

Is it still too early to make a backtiger joke? :ohdear:

Backpanther?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Paul Boz_ posted:

Backpanther?

:doh: yes, thats the one

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Paul Boz_ posted:

Goon tattooist Toast Face Killah would make a world-class example of this.

I would love to see his drawing of an "ignorant lube monkey"

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

leica posted:

You must be a glutton for punishment if you get enjoyment out of this poo poo :v:

I have always identified as an automotive masochist.

At least the door unlocks were an easy fix. Just had to relearn the fob :iiam:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I have always identified as an automotive masochist.

I always try to tell myself "I'm having fun, this is great", until the cocksuckers and motherfuckers start rolling out and the neighbors take their kids inside and close the windows :smith:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

leica posted:

until the cocksuckers and motherfuckers start rolling out and the neighbors take their kids inside and close the windows :smith:

So what's the problem? The cocksuckers', and motherfuckers' fucktrophies are inside, then? :confused:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Apparently they don't like angry outbursts that sounds like someone with tourette syndrome on crack.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

This took a turn for the weird. Headed on vacation I'll be back for more transportational abuse on the 17th.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey Adiabatic, you're not going to take AI's worst mechanic title away from me, but nice try. :colbert:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Phone posted:

Hey Adiabatic, you're not going to take AI's worst mechanic title away from me, but nice try. :colbert:

So NOBODY read my insane diatribes? t:mad:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Phone posted:

Which of us has the big red custom title? :smugdog:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also before I leave I've gotta do a count. This thread's gone through:

3 engines
2 transmissions
3 clutches
2 probations

Good work goons

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

leica posted:

Apparently they don't like angry outbursts that sounds like someone with tourette syndrome on crack.

Fun fact: I actually have Tourette's. :v:

Not in the "gently caress YOU AND gently caress YOUR MOTHER AND gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo gently caress THIS poo poo YOU gently caress" way (you know, the same mindset cats go into when they see a shelf full of expensive stuff and start knocking everything over), more in the weird twitch way. :unsmith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adiabatic posted:

Also before I leave I've gotta do a count. This thread's gone through:

3 engines
2 transmissions
3 clutches
2 probations

Good work goons

You forgot AI Shitposter of the Year 2013 and AI's Worst Mechanic of the Year 2013.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tussy Takk posted in this thread?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No, he would be labeled under AI Village Idiot of the Decade.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

You forgot AI Shitposter of the Year 2013 and AI's Worst Mechanic of the Year 2013.

There's still a lot of 2013 left :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, we should have an AI Awards Thread at the end of the year, winners get an appropriate custom title or some sort of lovely prize.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Phone posted:

Unrecognized. Again.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Look what I found in Wahiawa:

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
BUY IT

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
wait how closely related to the froot truck is that

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looks pretty frooty.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

:v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9T8UVY6TDI

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Noise/vibration is an incredibly coincidental front right wheel bearing...

In other news looking for a good exorcist in the Richmond, VA area.

\/\/\/ Yeah it was just strange that it went out during the clutch replacement.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Wheel bearings aren't an uncommon thing to break on an S2000 though

• Locked thread