Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Its also the fact that HIC has had millennia to train her abilities (same with Aranea).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, we know Vriska couldn't mind control Equius, but she was just 13 years old at the time, maybe with more time and practice she could have gotten better.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Vriska had no problem controlling a load of Eridan ghosts. It's about how impressionable they are - that is, how easy they would be to control without mind control. Blood just gives a bit of natural resistance on top. (Or a lot, in the royals' case)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah, we know Vriska couldn't mind control Equius, but she was just 13 years old at the time, maybe with more time and practice she could have gotten better.

It could also have been because of void powers instead of blood hierarchy.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cabbit posted:

Mind control only works on lower castes. Vriska, for example, explicitly couldn't mind control Equius, and I'm almost positive it was stated that the Vast Glub would affect low-bloods faster than high-bloods.

The fact that Aranea can mind control Gamzee is a big loving deal. Her mind control symbol was a lot brighter than the ones we've seen previously, for that matter.
The Vast Glub, and indeed any psychic shockwave coming from Glubglub+sevenapostrophes would generally affect the lower castes more than the higher ones.

When the Marquis was on trial, she noted that with the audience being lower on the spectrum they were generally more impressionable so she could steal their will.

As far as Scorpio powers are concerned, I don't think there's any hard and fast rules in concrete. Equius could feel Vriska trying to rummage around in his mind, but having control over her robot arm he slapped her out of it, but while weren't any Feferi's in the ghost army that I could see but there were plenty of Amporas.

Repeating myself, it might be that Arenea's in a better position because for a while sh cared about what other's thoughts. Vriska never showed any signs of attempting to read a mind besides John's-only attempts to dominate another.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Keep in mind that a lot of the ghosts in the bait army weren't actually mind controlled.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, there's three reasons why Aranea might possibly be a better mind controller than Vriska

1) She's (physically) older. 16 years ish vs 13 years ish If troll powers develop with time, she might just be stronger.
2) She's (chronologically) older. Millenia vs < two decades. If it's just a matter of practice, she's had a whole lot longer to do that.
3) Genetically, one could be stronger than the other.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
I'm not surprised Aranea went for Jake, but she better get used to disappointment. Also looking forward to Jane's reaction.

Also also, while not all ghosts in the army were mind controlled, a lot of Amporas still had scorpio signs that Vriska had collide with each other when she threw that tantrum over the ring.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

quote:

NEYTIRI: Jake, wake up.

:allears:

With his Page of Hope powers, I wouldn't be totally shocked if we didn't see a real Neytiri pop in the comic at some point. Though I suppose there might be some IP infringement problems...

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That's a pretty good handover from Jane to Jake.

Also, "NEYTIRI:" was kind of worrying me for a second there. Might not be entirely wrong to worry, either, given what hope powers might entail.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bobulus posted:

1) She's (physically) older. 16 years ish vs 13 years ish If troll powers develop with time, she might just be stronger.

Actually the A1 trolls are closer to 19. They spent 3 sweeps playing the game, which is roughly 6 and a half years.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, you're right. My bad. I was mixing sweeps and years.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Aranea's probably too single-minded, but I'd love to see a long dialoglog where Jake's embarrassedly trying to explain Neytiri (and by extension, Avatar) to an increasingly bemused Serket.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

There's something wrong with me when the first thing I think when reading this update is "WHOA, JAKE'S HAVING A NORMAL DREAM AND NOT A DREAMBUBBLE DREAM"

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

nerdbot posted:

There's something wrong with me when the first thing I think when reading this update is "WHOA, JAKE'S HAVING A NORMAL DREAM AND NOT A DREAMBUBBLE DREAM"

That's a very loose definition of normal.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

nerdbot posted:

Huh. That is strange.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

PleasingFungus posted:

:allears:

With his Page of Hope powers, I wouldn't be totally shocked if we didn't see a real Neytiri pop in the comic at some point. Though I suppose there might be some IP infringement problems...

The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law posted:

[Activities that courts have regarded as fair use:] quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author’s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Between Jake's crush on Arenea and the fact that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, he won't even need to be convinced into joining her plan, will he?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Boneless Jogger posted:

Between Jake's crush on Arenea and the fact that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, he won't even need to be convinced into joining her plan, will he?

Assuming he doesn't have another ghostboner meltdown that causes his brain to detonate itself in an attempt to minimize the social mortification.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

I was specifically thinking about the joke in this page, but yeah, he could probably get away with a cameo. Depends how daring he felt.

nerdbot posted:

Are we sure he wasn't just talking to Neytiri in a dreambubble?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For a second there I couldn't remember what Avatar was and thought neytiri must be some new combi-troll sprite or something. Unforgettable cinematic experience my rear end :shepface:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
More than anything else, I want Spades Slick to be the wrench that no one was expecting at all and thus be reason everyone's plans go to hell. Like, his cybernetics make him immune to mind control or something.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nate RFB posted:

More than anything else, I want Spades Slick to be the wrench that no one was expecting at all and thus be reason everyone's plans go to hell. Like, his cybernetics make him immune to mind control or something.

I can imagine a scorpio symbol slowly and dramatically floating toward his head only to bounce off of the metal and fall out of frame.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bobulus posted:

3) Genetically, one could be stronger than the other.
Genetically they are identical.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No they aren't. They're not Paradox Clones of one another. Kindfang is a Paradox Clone of Mindfang just like Meenah is a Paradox Clone of HIC.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Burkion posted:

No they aren't. They're not Paradox Clones of one another. Kindfang is a Paradox Clone of Mindfang just like Meenah is a Paradox Clone of HIC.

Indeed. Just like how Rufioh/The Summoner have wings, and Tavros doesn't.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Bobulus posted:

2) She's (chronologically) older. Millenia vs < two decades. If it's just a matter of practice, she's had a whole lot longer to do that.

And she never did until Fresca got her to help create the troll army, so that's out.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Burkion posted:

Not necessarily: I suspect that the paradox clones for the trolls were actually the postscratch players, in part because the paradox clones for the humans were the postscratch players, and in part because of Karkat having gone "Who were those other 12 grubs?" which wouldn't really make sense if he had SEEN those other 12 grubs on the screen while cloning them.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
I thought Fresca or he said something along the lines of that he saw them, he just didn't believe they were Ancestors until Karkat couldn't avoid them in dream bubbles.

The Beforans did fuckall with ectobiology. They were all made in the Alternian session.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bell_ posted:

I thought Fresca or he said something along the lines of that he saw them, he just didn't believe they were Ancestors until Karkat couldn't avoid them in dream bubbles.

The Beforans did fuckall with ectobiology. They were all made in the Alternian session.

Yeah that's basically what reignonyourparade was saying. Like when John did it he saw Mom/Bro/Nanna/Grandpa on the screen when he cloned them and recognized them even if only through context.

If Karkat had cloned the adult versions of the Beforan Trolls he undoubtedly would have recognized the Condesce, and the process of clone adult -> baby adult* -> baby versions of him and his friends points to them being ancestors pretty easily. For him not to believe that would be more out of stubbornness rather than lack of evidence but honestly that would fit Karkat.

*the things this comic makes you say

However, if it had gone: clone kid versions of him + friends (not adult b/c most of them are dead) -> baby versions of him + friends -> mixed up extra set that makes more sense why he wouldn't know who they are, where they're from, what they did, as long as they love him.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I'm gonna call DOTA or (shudder) "headcanon" here: as far as I'm concerned, all three trolls in each "family" are genetically identical. It's much more interesting that way. Someone like, say, Latula is pretty boring and useless, unless we read her and the Neophyte as alternate versions of Terezi who grew up under other circumstances, in which case both of them add to our understanding of Terezi. It's like how knowing Davesprite adds depth to Dave, or knowing he'd eventually grow up into Bro gives us insight into Dirk.

On the update, I had a terrible realization: what if Aranea was using her empathic powers to influence Jake's dream, to make him more likely to agree to her scheme?

Don't you see? That's what she was there for. That was the plan.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
To give him a bonner? I guess he got one.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Y'know, they don't have to be genetically identical in order for them to imply something like that - people already look at someone's siblings to help understand them. If Latula is Terezi's "big sister", we can still understand a little more about Terezi through her and see the sort of path she might've gone down in a different life. The Latula example is particularly good for that since Terezi feels the same sort of insecurity around her that some younger siblings feel around their older brothers and sisters.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I personally don't know about the sibling vs perfect clone idea, but there is some definite playing around with the nurture vs nature idea. Aranea and Vriska seem to give the clearest indication of this. For example, in both Alternia and Beforus, Aranea/Mindfang viewed the political system as a means to achieve, didn't matter where she started. Vriska, on the other hand, sees the political system as something to survive. Either way, both means of thinking have caused them to be big on eating up attention and gaming the system in their favor.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For people not on tumblr, the WhatPumpkin store updated. Seems like they're gearing up for some new kinds of merchandise.

http://whatpumpkin.tumblr.com/post/60446137447/the-new-whatpumpkin

So far: new tshirts, backpacks with B1 kid symbols, and those jester keychain fobs on Caliborn's keys.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nate RFB posted:

Honestly Spades Slick is the only character whose motivation I'm not entirely sure of outside of the fact he called dibs on English. His story ended with the death of Snowman, and his contribution to the final battle are likely to be random outside of bringing the Felt, the crowbar, the voodoo doll, English's staff, and Ms. Paint.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So my workplace puts up these intro profile sheets in the stairwell for new people with their name, how long they've been living in DC, and their answers to a couple goofy questions.

One in particular cracked me the hell up:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Honestly Spades Slick is the only character whose motivation I'm not entirely sure of outside of the fact he called dibs on English. His story ended with the death of Snowman, and his contribution to the final battle are likely to be random outside of bringing the Felt, the crowbar, the voodoo doll, English's staff, and Ms. Paint.

I thought he was doing it for the joy of just raising hell at this point. And, you know, killing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ramos posted:

I thought he was doing it for the joy of just raising hell at this point. And, you know, killing.

But that's kind of Soverign slayers bag, and even if they are instances of the same person they've shown some splits here and there. Speaking of, where the hell ARE Soverign Slayer and PM? The kids/trolls made it in and they weren't that far behind, exactly. But I guess we've gotta finish introducing 3 more new villains before we get back to the Original one. Hussie said the whole point of the original Intermission is a roundabout way to learn about Spades Slick as a character so hopefully all this will have been worth it and one of the Slicks will do something of importance relatively soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Speaking of, where the hell ARE Soverign Slayer and PM? The kids/trolls made it in and they weren't that far behind, exactly.

I think the timing is setup so Spades, Jack and PM, Dirk, and Jack English will all make it into the session at the same time.