Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Wait, Pay Toilets were a real thing? I assumed that was some 'future dystopia' joke.

They're banned from a lot of places in America because they're seen as unfair to women (since men can just use a urinal to pee but women have to pay no matter what.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Think I'll hold onto my cert for a bit, I'm pretty caught up on all the biggies, and they'll probably have another VOD or something before NotLD comes out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Wait, Pay Toilets were a real thing? I assumed that was some 'future dystopia' joke.

I seen 'em in Paris. (Which is odd because that city used to have open-air pissoirs and you still see the homeless urinating in the streets.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I watched Braniac last night, and it felt like I was watching Mexico's answer to "Monster-a-go-go", right up until the two police officers run into the castle armed with flamethrowers! At which point I just lost it.

The MCPD does not gently caress around, it seems.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah even the slowest pace Rifftrax VoD can get really funny out of nowhere. Like When a Stranger Calls Back for example, it for the most part really slow, then the last half hour it just gets really bizarre with evil black face puppettear in a stripclub going after the heroine and her fat friend.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I watched Braniac last night, and it felt like I was watching Mexico's answer to "Monster-a-go-go", right up until the two police officers run into the castle armed with flamethrowers! At which point I just lost it.

The MCPD does not gently caress around, it seems.

At the same time, they seem like the only cops doing anything. Of course the other joke I love from that film is "He learned everything he knows about criminals from the Great Muppet Caper".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how many angry emails they get from Ron Paul nuts or (more recently) bronies. It seems like there is a fairly large crossover between those groups and Mysties/Rifftrax fans.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder how many angry emails they get from Ron Paul nuts or (more recently) bronies. It seems like there is a fairly large crossover between those groups and Mysties/Rifftrax fans.

Way back in the earliest MST3K days they caught flak for ripping on Ayn Rand.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

So, I just watched the Kickstarter Norman short....

That was... um... yeah. I agree with the goon who said they were glad it wasn't shown before the live riff of STarship Troopers.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

I've only encountered them in Kota Kinabalu. Granted it ended up costing me what amounts to pennies somehow maybe even less.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

There's also a big crossover with anime fans, and the anime/Japan jokes they made during Prince of Space and Invasion of the Neptune Men caused a bit of a stink back when the episodes first aired.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Are pay toilets even a thing anymore?

They are in my country.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah pay toilets are pretty common outside the US, I'd say.

Speaking of which, the Norman short is loving insane. At least for most other bizarre shorts you can tell what they tried, and failed terribly, to do - like setting up a room for a kindergarten class, or showing kinds how to make stuff out of common household objects. But this? :stonklol:

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I actually saw the unriffed Norman short a few months ago, and I honestly thought he died at the end of it. That "Beloved of Irma" thing sounded like an obituary or something. It wasn't until the guys joked about it that I realized, no, he still has to go off to check into a disastrous hotel and later I guess be welcomed back, since this was his origin myth.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
With the use of the term origin myth I really can't wait for the grittier reboot Norman Begins.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

I just got done watching this masterpiece of bad cinema, KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.

This movie is begging for a VOD. I wonder if there's a public domain print or it's cheap to get the rights to.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I just got done watching this masterpiece of bad cinema, KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.

This movie is begging for a VOD. I wonder if there's a public domain print or it's cheap to get the rights to.

Not if Gene Simmons has anything to say about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Not if Gene Simmons has anything to say about it.

You act like Gene Simmons will say no to money.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

bobkatt013 posted:

You act like Gene Simmons will say no to money.

Well, only if it's enough money.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Sounds like it's time for another Kickstarter...

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

I was thinking it might have a public domain print since it was a NBC made-for-tv movie. It seems like several made-for-tv movies have prints that are public domain like Boy in the Plastic Bubble. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

To sum up: I don't understand copyright laws. So have this clip as an apology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SFinXW0Mr0

Edit: This one's even better

Mr. Blastaway fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 6, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I was thinking it might have a public domain print since it was a NBC made-for-tv movie. It seems like several made-for-tv movies have prints that are public domain like Boy in the Plastic Bubble. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

To sum up: I don't understand copyright laws. So have this clip as an apology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SFinXW0Mr0

Edit: This one's even better

It is Kiss. They know copyright law and will not let anything of theirs go into public domain so they could potentially loose money.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Phantom of the Park is on DVD as part of the Kissology vol.2 box set, so even though VOD is out of the question they could still riff it. Of course, the film is already so ridiculous that I'm not sure if it even needs to be riffed.

I've seen it multiple times :negative:

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

The Phantom of the Park is on DVD as part of the Kissology vol.2 box set
Yeah, but apparently that version edited out almost all of Ace Frehley's lines (and his lines/delivery were some of the "best" in the movie.)

I'd still buy it regardless, though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, they used the European "Attack of the Phantoms" cut which is a bit different from the original. Along with removing a bunch of Ace's lines, the European cut also replaces the glorious 70s action music with tracks from the 1978 Kiss solo albums, which... uh, isn't really an improvement, to put it mildly. (I own all of those albums as well. :gonk: I was a pretty big Kiss fan at one point in my life) Peter Criss' solo album in particular is a crime against humanity, and you get to hear several tracks from that album during the film's action scenes! :unsmigghh:

I haven't seen the original cut in over a decade, so I don't remember what else they changed.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
There's a new Chuck Norris VOD out today, Silent Rage

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Oh good a new VOD! Has the $5 credit come about yet for the Kickstarter?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ixnay posted:

I wish they could get the rights to that crazy vanity project of his, Sidekicks. That movie was loving nuts start to finish.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ixnay posted:

Great pick in my opinion. Edgar Wright has cited it as one of his many inspirations for Hot Fuzz.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Haha the begining of Silent Rage, perfect The Shining homage.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

therealjon_ posted:

Oh good a new VOD! Has the $5 credit come about yet for the Kickstarter?

It was $4, and yes. It was the cost of a feature-length Riff, and I spent it on Casablanca the day it came out.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

Haha the begining of Silent Rage, perfect The Shining homage.
And they throw in Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now for good measure.

My favorite scene is near the beginning when Kirby hits Chuck in the legs(?) with a piece of firewood. I rewound it to see that part again probably 10 times.

edit:
via Imgflip GIF Maker

fenix down fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 7, 2013

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I have to have more information on this Norman Krasner poo poo. Who made these and why?

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I have to have more information on this Norman Krasner poo poo. Who made these and why?
I think they were produced for Showtime to play in-between programs.

Here's an airing of "Welcome Back, Norman" on Showtime from 1980, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdUckp2EnZ8

As for why, I would guess to entertain. I think a lot of people assumed these were educational like most Rifftrax shorts. I still think Encyclopedia Britannica holds the record for the most hosed up "educational" shorts.

Edit: Here's a imdb page to help clarify who made these: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2343840/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Mr. Blastaway fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 8, 2013

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I think they were produced for Showtime to play in-between programs.

Here's an airing of "Welcome Back, Norman" on Showtime from 1980, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdUckp2EnZ8

As for why, I would guess to entertain. I think a lot of people assumed these were educational like most Rifftrax shorts. I still think Encyclopedia Britannica holds the record for the most hosed up "educational" shorts.

Makes sense. I couldn't figure out why these were made, since they didn't seem to educate and the bathroom one seemed a tad risque for a random short film from the 70s.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Oh boy, there's one more: Norman makes a speech

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Norman is like an Andy Kaufman character where even Andy Kaufman isn't in on the joke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LP97S posted:

Oh boy, there's one more: Norman makes a speech

There's also three more films in the At Your Fingertips cycle.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's also three more films in the At Your Fingertips cycle.

I like how you call it a cycle. As if they're some kind of ancient mythological stories.

Although, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were important in some ritual to revive some ancient world eating demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget
Aug 10, 2013

RaspberryCommie posted:

Although, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were important in some ritual to revive some ancient world eating demon.

A cylindrical demon made of corn wearing a fancy head-dress?

Is there an ETA on the Manos?

• Locked thread