Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Assuming it's mostly sound, what do you guys think of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Anybody know anything about the KTM 450 SX-F?

The dude is asking $3500 for it... I was thinking either track supermoto or convert it to street with a bajadesigns kit.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

petercodeine posted:

That's a good deal.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

petercodeine posted:

Just make sure you can keep it road-legal since the E version can't be plated in some places. Here in Oregon people try to sell bikes they got plated before the conversion ban as 'street-legal', which is super shady since the grandfathered plates will be revoked when the new buyer goes to change the title.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I was thinking... KTM 450 SX-F?

Run far far away:

4 speeds suck balls.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

DefaultPeanut posted:

Run far far away:

4 speeds suck balls.

Thanks buddy. I passed on this one but found another. Also 4 speed KTM, but a 525. I'll pass on it too. Needed an excuse to not blow my money right now.

What I really want is a DRZ 400SM, but holy poo poo they keep their value around here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

This looks like it could be fun for ~$1,500. I've been looking at something that would be fun to ride down to New Mexico on this fall.

And in general: Are old Gold Wings as awesome as they seem for the price? They seem like an awful lot of bike for under $2k.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Short answer, they're not bad. Personally I'd take an Interstate over an Aspencade because they don't have as many old doo-dads that will fail, but they are big heavy solid bikes.

IIRC they use a timing belt so if the owner hasn't/doesn't know if it was done, plan on doing it.

If you can handle riding a 30 year old old dad/grandpa bike go for it. You won't lose at that price.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

slidebite posted:

Short answer, they're not bad. Personally I'd take an Interstate over an Aspencade because they don't have as many old doo-dads that will fail, but they are big heavy solid bikes.

IIRC they use a timing belt so if the owner hasn't/doesn't know if it was done, plan on doing it.

If you can handle riding a 30 year old old dad/grandpa bike go for it. You won't lose at that price.

Good to hear. Personally, I dig the looks and the massive fairings.

But this beaut has caught my eye:

1982 Goldwing GL1100 Ready to Ride##### - $2200 (Littleton)

Is it just me, or is this thing downright beautiful? Dat luggage.

I'm thinking I might go for this one instead if I can get him down to $1,800... there may have to be some tough choices made this weekend when I scope them both out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm not a fan of those aftermarket bags but hey, whatever floats your boat. Looks clean as hell though.

That gen of wing was available as a stripped version and actually looked pretty good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slidebite posted:

Agreed on the interstate part... I'm pretty sure they have the same alternator, so that's just that much more fail waiting to happen on an Aspencade.

As for the timing belt... I don't care if the PO says he put new ones on yesterday. Replace them. You can get Goodyear Gatorback belts (part #40274) and swap them.

slidebite posted:

I'm not a fan of those aftermarket bags but hey, whatever floats your boat. Looks clean as hell though.

That gen of wing was available as a stripped version and actually looked pretty good.

yes, they look fantastic naked.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Replace them. You can get Goodyear Gatorback belts (part #40274) and swap them.

Just to be clear, Goodyear doesn't do magical fairy-dust belts, just do the timing belts if there is any question as to their history.

Those old wings are tough as nails, and if they turn your crank, go for it. :)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Radbot posted:

This looks like it could be fun for ~$1,500. I've been looking at something that would be fun to ride down to New Mexico on this fall.

And in general: Are old Gold Wings as awesome as they seem for the price? They seem like an awful lot of bike for under $2k.

Are... are those leather armrests?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes, standard on the Aspencade but by the difference in color he replaced them. Used mostly as storage pockets. Interstates didn't have them but you could buy them as an add-on IIRC.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well, I checked out the '84 GL1200 this evening. The 'Wing looked a little rougher than I expected, with lots of buttons missing. That would be no big deal, but the engine was running pretty hot (the gauge was at 3/4 even though it was just 84F out). I'd rather pay a bit more to get a nicer one. I did like the ride - a little like an older rocket propelled couch. It actually felt lighter than my V-Strom DL1000.

I'm going to try to check out the '82 this weekend. Thanks for the input, y'all.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Radbot posted:

I did like the ride - a little like an older rocket propelled couch.
Yessss! Join ussss!

If you do end up getting a Wing talk to me. I'm pretty familiar with the quirks and "must fix" items for most year models. Just don't jump on a junky one for sake of having a bike. Late 70's through early 90's models in good shape all come up pretty regularly for extremely reasonable prices. The 80's models weigh up to 800 wet; but you can still toss them around like a dream once you're used to the weight distribution.

My father and I bought my 86 as a non-running, lowsided project bike with the intent of fixing and flipping it for funds toward another project bike. When we got it running, I took it on a proper shakedown ride and came back with Dad's half of the cash in hand. Now that it's almost completely restored, I can't imagine selling it. I've ridden pretty much everything through the years and I still love whipping around on sportbikes; but my wing is easily my favorite motorcycle. (Also can't beat the hilarious doubletakes you get when cruising around on it in squiddy sportbike gear.)

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
There are a crazy number of Goldwings for sale right now. It's baby boomers getting too old and switching to Can-Ams. You can buy early 80's full dress wings for ~$1500 all day around here.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I would love to have a Goldwing to putt around on in town. And you better believe I would cover that sumbitch in lights.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

The low price on this gives me nerves but maybe it's OK? Milage is 27k and it's priced a lot lower than mopeds out here.

It's been listed for about 2 weeks. The location is sort of inconvenient for someone in the city or maybe the milage is too high.

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 31, 2013

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'm not sure how it is in your state - do you have to pay registration in arrears on things? It seems like he's implying that there's some cost involved beyond merely buying it from him. If it's just the cost to have it inspected/insured/registered, that seems like a hell of a deal. I'd be all over that, but :canada: so it'd be like $3k.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Maybe he has no title and knows that getting it registered will be a bastard? Find out what he means by "registration fees" and if you're on the same island I'd say at least have a look at it. Could be he's just due to replace a lot of stuff he doesn't want to have to mess with, himself.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

EvilSlug posted:

Yessss! Join ussss!

I'm definitely going to be picking one up in the next two weeks. I'm planning on spending no more than 2,500 for an 80s Wing in mint-ish condition... There are newer ones out there for a few grand more but apparently they're not considerably more reliable and they definitely don't look as cool. Any thoughts on 82-86 models? I know the later ones are more like modern Wings, but what about reliability and parts availability?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1984 was the gen change to 1200CC which continued until 1987. There was a a special edition model with EFI which would probably be worthwhile staying away from but to be honest I have no idea of the reliability.

1988 they went to 1500CC 6 cyl but still carbed. Personally, if I were to buy one I'd lean towards a 1500 if you can get a deal. 6 cyl, decent power and a :krad: reverse gear.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

slidebite posted:

1984 was the gen change to 1200CC which continued until 1987. There was a a special edition model with EFI which would probably be worthwhile staying away from but to be honest I have no idea of the reliability.

1988 they went to 1500CC 6 cyl but still carbed. Personally, if I were to buy one I'd lean towards a 1500 if you can get a deal. 6 cyl, decent power and a :krad: reverse gear.

The newer gen you're talking about seem to run about 5 or 6k in my area, mostly early 90s models. Think it's worth paying around double for them? Thanks a lot for your input, by the way.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Here. These guides have a nice list of things to look for when doing your inspection and price negotiation.

I'd consider the price differential as labor and parts availability tax; because they're all equally reliable once you've done some initial maintenance. I've known some of the older GL flat fours to go over 200,000 miles without needing a major overhaul and the 6-cylinder engines are at least as solid. You will have to do more work to an 80's model over time than to the 1500s just due to age. New parts are also starting to become thin for early 80's models. Expect to put a few hundred more dollars into any bike you buy, regardless. You'll likely want to replace timing belts, oil/filter (immediately), and possibly redo the carbs or forks sometime within the first year.

Barring the 1100 to 1200 shift in 84, the 82-86 years are very similar in every respect. I prefer the Interstate models to the Aspencade models for a few reasons; but I wouldn't steer you away from an Aspencade that was a good deal. A note about the reverse gear on newer Goldwings, though. It isn't actually a proper reverse gear like in a car. It uses your electric starter to push the transmission, so you can expect to burn up your starter if you rely on reverse a whole lot. Even so, it's darn handy.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-tzr-250/5613848

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Curse you and your forbidden European fruit. That bike would be in my garage right loving now if it was located in my province/country/continent.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Simkin posted:

Curse you and your forbidden European fruit. That bike would be in my garage right loving now if it was located in my province/country/continent.
I like that the ad says "Moving. Must sell bike. Might trade for another bike."

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Simkin posted:

Old enough to import to the states.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I suppose anything 15 years or older is also fair game for :canada: as I've seen a fair few CBR250Rs and other entertainingly small displacement vintage four cylinders for sale around Vancouver. I think it'd have to be pretty cheap or very collectible to justify the shipping/importation cost, though.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Simkin posted:

forbidden European fruit
Strange, mine came with high pipes and a Canada Transport sticker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0iIHzJs2k

A proper TZR250 was up for grabs in Abbotsford not too long ago.

Simkin posted:

small displacement vintage four cylinders for sale around Vancouver.
Gotta be quick on the craigslist.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Financial genius at work
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-Looking-to-over-your-finance-W0QQAdIdZ520720088

quote:

Looking to take over your finance on your motorcycle. Must be 2009 and up. Only interested in sportbikes. The catch is that you will pay off the remainder of my honda finance which is $2600 and I will be glad to take over the remainder of your payments. Contact me on what you have.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I had no idea Rokons are still being produced.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Someone Buy this:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4047842902.html

07 KTM 690SM, $3800.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

Strange, mine came with high pipes and a Canada Transport sticker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0iIHzJs2k

Gotta be quick on the craigslist.

:flashfap: I'm wondering exactly how many minutes after taking possession of that Gamma that I would last before being turned into some sort of high-velocity incendiary projectile.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

DefaultPeanut posted:

gently caress me, look what turned up: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/mcy/4050549728.html

M42
Nov 12, 2012

ZX9R near me

e:

M42 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 9, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Pretty cool 90s lookin' FZR600. I'm not interested in buying myself, but am curious how something like this would fair against a modern 600cc supersport.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4055177139.html

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'd say that's probably about a grand on the high side, but maybe that's just the market. Older sport bikes, at least from what I've seen, are less absolutely focused track weapons, and so will give up a bit of outright speed for a tad more comfort. Compared with a 2013 FZ6R, the older one is a tad lighter, but the newer one has more torque, and probably a more useable powerband, due to fuel injection. It is a very pretty bike, though. I have a soft spot for early 90s sport and sport tourers, with the angular fairings and "gently caress you I'm a motorcycle" paint and pinstriping jobs.

Against a modern 600cc supersport, I'm fairly certain it would be soundly demolished, performance wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
After the advice I received in this thread, I've changed the scope of my Goldwing search to GL1500s. This is especially because I'm looking for something that will require less work to maintain, at least in the short term.

Here are two in my area that I like:

1996 Goldwing Interstate 1500cc Touring bike - $4000

This one looks to be in great condition overall. Seller said tires are in "OK" shape. It's an Interstate, so no reverse gear (not a big deal) among other missing add-ons/farkles. However, $4k seems like an excellent asking price.

1998 Honda Gold Wing GL1500SE - Silver - $5995

This one also looks to be in great condition, although it's hard to tell with the tiny postage stamp photo the seller provided. Having the SE would be nice (so I can talk to truckers on my CB radio, like I've always wanted). But is it worth an extra $2k?