Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

toomanyninjas posted:

Those look to be stolen from the New York Times story I posted up the page. Here's the official slideshow: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/08/30/world/asia/20130830JAPAN.html

Hurr, it's not even stolen -- he credits the NYT at the bottom of the tumblr post. I didn't see your link either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I'm not going to get into a big argument over it, but they are stolen. He re-hosted someone else's unique copyrighted images and just putting a credit on it doesn't absolve the wrongdoing or make up for the clicks you deprived them of; it's not murder or anything, but it's still not right.

That's like posting an episode of "Breaking Bad" on YouTube and saying it's not stolen because you say "PROPERTY OF AMC/VINCE GILLIGAN!"

Back to talking about spandex-clad heroes!

Hurr

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

quote:

Kamen Rider & "Cool Japan:" Toei starts U.S. pay channel

http://www.asahi.com/culture/update/0907/TKY201309060527.html
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130907-00000007-asahi-ent

Toei, known for such hit movies and series such as "Kamen Rider" and "Gokudou no Onna-tachi," began a pay channel in the U.S. this month. They hope to draw attention from "Cool Japan" cartoons and comics, as well as tokusatsu hero and yakusa works.

Known as the "Toei Japan Channel," it will broadcast television programs and movies made Toei via the Internet (IPTV).

At first, the target audience is the approximately four hundred thousand Japanese people in the United States, and after one year Toei plans to add English subtitles. Once their character and hero shows have taken a foothold, they expect to advance into the American market with various movies and television programming.

This time especially they would like to promote the suited heroes that fight evil that have become a part of Japanese culture. Toei is known for the "Kamen Rider" series, which first went on the air in 1971, and the "Super Sentai" series, which began with "Himitsu Sentai Goranger" in 1975 and have continued since. Yasuhiko Nakashima of Toei's International Sales division said, "Because of the current interest in 'Cool Japan' we saw an opportunity to show off our tokusatsu hero shows. In the future we'd like even provide the series almost as they air in Japan."

That is drat cool.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
That sounds pretty drat neat, hope it does well for them. I mean it's an official way to watch everything and to support the content creators (without just importing toys or whatever) at last.

I hope they expand that to more than the US though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I hope the subs come out in a timely manner and are actually good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope the price is decent as well.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Absolute Madness posted:

At first, the target audience is the approximately four hundred thousand Japanese people in the United States, and after one year Toei plans to add English subtitles.

This is the point at which I stopped taking this seriously. But then it's a Cool Japan effort, and Cool Japan is basically a textbook case of doing the absolute wrong thing for your stated goal, on an institutional level.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Do people actually like Cool Japan? About the only real person (not marketer or reporter) I've ever heard talking about it just trashed the whole thing and devoted a whole update to other more realistic logos they could have used for it. Anyway thats neat I guess but I suspect that their attempt to appeal to American audiences will go over about as well as everyone else not named BBC who has tried that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Are older Kamen Riders ever rerun in Japan? It would be amazing if we could get proper, or at the very least better than TV-Nihon, subs for the pre-W Heisei stuff out of this.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Cliff Racer posted:

Do people actually like Cool Japan? About the only real person (not marketer or reporter) I've ever heard talking about it just trashed the whole thing and devoted a whole update to other more realistic logos they could have used for it. Anyway thats neat I guess but I suspect that their attempt to appeal to American audiences will go over about as well as everyone else not named BBC who has tried that.

I didn't even know what Cool Japan was until this came up.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

boom boom boom posted:

Are older Kamen Riders ever rerun in Japan? It would be amazing if we could get proper, or at the very least better than TV-Nihon, subs for the pre-W Heisei stuff out of this.

Yes. Toei Channel's been running through all of Showa Rider (from true 1080p masters, even) in order, and are currently on Black RX. And CS Ashai has been running through older Heisei series.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FortMax posted:

Yes. Toei Channel's been running through all of Showa Rider (from true 1080p masters, even) in order, and are currently on Black RX. And CS Ashai has been running through older Heisei series.

Has anybody been collecting these? I've heard older raws are hard to find, and maybe with 1080p stuff out, folks will look into subbing them.
I know I would, if I knew Japanese.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I would learn Japanese to sub old 1080P Kamen Rider.

Edit: Almost halfway through Go-Busters. It continues to be its own show and only barely Sentai, and I love it. Did Japan really not like it?

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Serperoth posted:

Has anybody been collecting these? I've heard older raws are hard to find, and maybe with 1080p stuff out, folks will look into subbing them.
I know I would, if I knew Japanese.

Not for raws (outside of a few exceptions) but there's a few reasons for that. (note: I'm the BunnyHat guy who's been doing tons of Toku DVD raws over the last few years)

Cuyrrently, we only have access to the SD Toei Channel, so those reairings would only be an improvement for X, Amazon and Stronger (as their DVDs used the same old tape masters the LDs dud), and possibly the original Rider. And those aired before we had a guy with access to Toei Channel at all.

Second, in most cases, the DVDs are going to have better video quality than an HD broadcast (assuming both were made using the same masters). The resolution of the HD broadcast will be better, but it'll also suffer from more compression artifacting. There's a reason I stopped encoding the rebroadcasts of Hibiki (which was both shot and edited in 1080i) as soon as I had access to DVD9s.

I've encoded all of Rider through Decade from DVD9, so X, Amazon and Stronger (and possibly original Rider) are the only ones that raws sourced from Toei Channel would be an actual upgrade.

As for Sentai and Metal Heroes, all rebroadcasts seem to be from the same masters used by the DVDs (so Liveman still looks great, and Megaranger is still a blendy mess). So again, no real improvement for anything except stuff we don't have recent-ish DVD raws of. I've been working on Toei Channel's Solbrain rebroadcasts, as we don't have access to even re-compressed DVD5s, but that's about it.

Now, the reairings DO give us a very useful thing: closed captions. Translating is much easier when you have those, especially shows like Blade.

And if Kabutack or Robotack ever show up, you can bet I'll be all over them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

That's actually pretty interesting and enlightening, thanks for that. Didn't know there was quality (or at least, good enough to not need the channel) raws out there. I had always thought that any "old" raws were poo poo quality.
Good to see that good raws do exist though :)
And yes, Hbomberguy, subbing toku is one of the reasons I want to get back to learning Japanese (had to stop because of scholarly obligations). I always feel sort of bad for not being able to "contribute" in a sense. Part of the reason why I did the Greek subs I suppose.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Serperoth posted:

That's actually pretty interesting and enlightening, thanks for that. Didn't know there was quality (or at least, good enough to not need the channel) raws out there. I had always thought that any "old" raws were poo poo quality.
Good to see that good raws do exist though :)

Most of the old raws are kinda poo poo, though to be honest a lot of that was due to people having to encode from analog broadcasts in real time. And Toei didn't finish DVD releases of the back-catalog Sentai until last year.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Ep 48 of W is so loving heartbreaking. :(

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
I'm making my way through Kuuga (at ep.15) and I think my favourite part is how Godai sews the Kuuga symbol into everything he wears

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FortMax posted:

Most of the old raws are kinda poo poo, though to be honest a lot of that was due to people having to encode from analog broadcasts in real time. And Toei didn't finish DVD releases of the back-catalog Sentai until last year.

So if I'm getting this right the new channel will at least improve on the existing raws right? That can't be but a good thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serperoth posted:

So if I'm getting this right the new channel will at least improve on the existing raws right? That can't be but a good thing.

If you read the post before that, he also said that for most of the series it wouldn't really matter in terms of quality of raws because we have DVD rips now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dickeye posted:

If you read the post before that, he also said that for most of the series it wouldn't really matter in terms of quality of raws because we have DVD rips now.

Right, I should have phrased it better.
Basically what I meant was that there are some raws (the mentioned "most of the old raws are kinda poo poo") which will be improved. From the previous post I'm reading that X, Amazon, Stronger and maybe the original KR will be better with the channel. And we'll get closed captions too, which hopefully will spark some more subbing effort.

In unrelated news, I stumbled upon this today: [link]
A dad posts a picture of his son holding a sign that says his dream is to be a Power Ranger, and cosplayers send the kid encouraging pictures :3:

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Oh. I was talking about the Toei Channel that's on Japanese satellite TV. That Toei Channel has been around forever. (I may be wrong about this, but I think the crappy Liveman raws that GUIS used for the v1s were from a VERY old Toei Channel broadcast)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

In Gaim news, Urobuchi gets to talk about Gaim a bit. I find it pretty interesting that he's drawing more parallels from Black instead of Ryuki, but honestly that has me pretty excited.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It seems like a bear trap to me. Like I decide to test it out, it looks nice and inviting and awesome and then SNAP.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Monathin posted:

In Gaim news, Urobuchi gets to talk about Gaim a bit. I find it pretty interesting that he's drawing more parallels from Black instead of Ryuki, but honestly that has me pretty excited.

"They are most certainly dangerous fruits."

I'm trying not to burst into laughter at work now.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Next week might have a 9 way role call

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This crazy train is starting to slow down a little, but it still isn't stopping.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kamen Rider W 32.

So Double has basically become the Akashic Records.

I love this show so much.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

This crazy train is starting to slow down a little, but it still isn't stopping.

I was actually gonna get mad if this week didn't reveal something worth the build or nothing interesting happened then they surprised me and next week looks crazy enough.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyoryu is so loving great. That reveal was amazing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBX posted:

I was actually gonna get mad if this week didn't reveal something worth the build or nothing interesting happened then they surprised me and next week looks crazy enough.

One of the best things about this series is that there's always something going on that's relevant to the overall plot.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
OOO epi. 16: Don't make fun of [Gamel]'d people! Your children could end up that way!

EDIT: haha that scene where he starts screaming in the restaurant reminds of that library scene with shia labeouf in Tru Confessions

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 10, 2013

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
So if I've never watched a Kamen Rider show, where should I start? I'm probably not going to watch a lot of them, but I'd like to give it a shot. (This means starting with the first one might not be the best, unless it's better than most.) I imagine this has been asked often and there's some recommendations floating around.

Alternatively, should I just pick up the current series?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The current series is pretty much over, so I'd wait until October for the new series to start up if you want to be current.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The three recommended are W, OOO and Fourze. W is the best amung them.

For older, slightly campier Rider, Stronger, Amazon and Black are great.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

So if I've never watched a Kamen Rider show, where should I start? I'm probably not going to watch a lot of them, but I'd like to give it a shot. (This means starting with the first one might not be the best, unless it's better than most.) I imagine this has been asked often and there's some recommendations floating around.

Start with W, especially if you don't plan on watching alot of series.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Keyboard Kid posted:

Going to second the recommendations for W, and throw in my own for Fourze.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 11, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I started watching Fourze. I recommend it if you want something light and fun.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Urobuchi posted:

One thing is that Takebe told me not to go with the two part episode formula. There was no point in letting a monster get away one episode only to immediately die afterwards.

Well, Gaim will certainly have a refreshing citrus-like flavor when watched, at least after the last few series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Though a long-time sentai fan, I'm fairly new to Rider having watched only Fourze and W. I started reading up on Decade after watching the W/Decade movie and I was wondering why Decade was only 30 episodes long? Was it because TOEI wanted to realign to Rider/Sentai schedule and stagger them instead of have series running parallel?

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 11, 2013

• Locked thread