Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Devo posted:

After a 4-2 PM2 I'm sitting at exactly .500 in the WISC. My teams were a combined 30 under at one point, maybe even closer to 40 under. My disappointing 110M team has clawed back to .500, and my 120M team has been hotter than the sun. Never fear though, my 80M team still sucks balls.

e: 120M is fun

Would you mind posting your 120M team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Would you mind posting your 120M team?

Devo posted:

$120 Mil
One Hundred Eighty Feet
Fenway Park

uublog fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 29, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I love this team.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
:unsmith:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So I just joined this league and I rolled 1986. I got me some guys named Greg Maddux and Sir Barrold Bondsington III, esquire.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
So, uh, my team hit 3 grand slams.

In one inning.

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=20805830&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

code:
	J.Foxx takes ball four.	
DP	J.Bench walks.	
DP	B.Bonds draws the walk.	
DP	A.Kaline hits a linedrive grand slam to LF.	 
 	L.O'Doul hits a line drive single to RF.	
DP	W.Boggs lines a single to LF.	
DP	E.Broglio throws a wild pitch and all runners advance.	
	N.Potter flies out to LF. L.O'Doul scores on A.Whitney's throw home.	
II	J.Robinson hits a triple. W.Boggs scores.	
II	D.Jeter hits a linedrive 2-run homer to LCF.	 
 	J.Foxx skies one to RCF that falls in for a double.	
 	J.Bench takes ball four.	
DP	B.Bonds draws the walk.	
DP	A.Kaline draws the walk. J.Foxx scores.	
DP	L.O'Doul smacks a grand slam to LCF that barely clears the wall.	 
 	W.Boggs smokes a line drive to LCF for a double.	
 	N.Potter draws the walk.	
DP	J.Robinson walks.	
DP	D.Jeter smacks a grand slam to CF that barely clears the wall.	 
 	J.Foxx draws the walk.	
DP	J.Bench bloops a double to RCF. J.Foxx scores.	
 	B.Bonds grounds it thru the hole to RF for a single.	
DP	A.Kaline pops out to SS.	
	L.O'Doul hits a line drive double to CF. J.Bench scores. B.Bonds scores.	
	W.Boggs hits a flyball 2-run homer down the leftfield line that just clears the wall.	 
 	N.Potter hits a line drive double to LCF.	
	J.Robinson hits a flyball 2-run homer to LF.	 
 	D.Jeter hits a shallow flyout to RF.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm in an open league, coming down to the wire. I'm at 100 wins with 3 games to go and a 1 game lead.

Speed kills

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Lost a game 163 in extras in my 90 mil league. Not that I had any chance of advancing anyway but it would have been nice to have more than one playoff team. Maybe I'll luck into a World Series in 120 mil and make a little bit of money back from this.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Devo posted:

Lost a game 163 in extras in my 90 mil league. Not that I had any chance of advancing anyway but it would have been nice to have more than one playoff team. Maybe I'll luck into a World Series in 120 mil and make a little bit of money back from this.

Literally the exact same thing happened to me, ugh

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

We need a replacement owner in the 1951 iteration of the prog league. Team is here.

I'd prefer someone that wants to stay for a while and also maybe not trade away high draft picks for a couple seasons. This franchise needs a good mom or dad to get it healthy again.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Also if you wish to have the Boston Braves instead (this years World Series runner up and soonish to become the Miawukee Brewers), let me know, I will take over the Red Sox.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Hey, Random Captain fans, it's back. There's only five open spots. Get in. :getin:

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=471839&TopicsTimeframe=30

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Hey, Random Captain fans, it's back. There's only five open spots. Get in. :getin:

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=471839&TopicsTimeframe=30
Having never played in this theme before, is it really as simple as it looks? You're assigned a random guy and you make a team using former teammates of theirs?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yup, that's it. It historically has been a pretty unbalanced league because crazy doesn't really do any vetting of the captains so you can be stuck with a real stinker but that's actually kind of the charm of it. Most of us who play in it do so almost more as a distraction than as a super serious league. He did lower the cap from earlier seasons so that has helped with the balance a bit.

He also keeps records of every single season of the league so it can be neat looking back and seeing what kind of numbers your old teams have put up.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 21, 2013

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I got Johnny Damon. Hellooooooo Pedro and Miguel Cabrera!

Honestly the pitching isn't great, but the offense will be pretty amazing.

Edit: Oh boy, this is going to be hard. I have to choose between 2010 Cabrera and 2001 Jason Giambi. Maybe I should just move Cabrera to 3rd and hope for the best.

Double Edit: I also will have to find a place for David Ortiz. I'm thinkin shortstop, guys!

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 22, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Buddy Bell. Huh.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is what i'm looking at right now. I bet i'll change it a bit, although i'm more or less stuck with that pitching. Relievers are rather hard to come by.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Got Billy Williams. 16 seasons of 60s/early 70s Cubs and a couple seasons of A's at the end. yaaaaaaay.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
clemente is easy to search but not the broadest possible pool

i would probably do better in this with an $80m cap

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This team has lots of rad dudes, go rad dudes go

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Rule V time hooray

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Rule V, featuring me spending 2.3M on a designated pinch runner because I'm an idiot

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
mine is pretty much this

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I've seen a lot about Rule V, and it looks interesting, but how does Rule V exactly? *grimaces for long complicated explanation*

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

uublog posted:

I've seen a lot about Rule V, and it looks interesting, but how does Rule V exactly? *grimaces for long complicated explanation*

First the 24 owners have a franchise draft. Draft order is based on finish in last season's league (at least in the WiS forums rule V).

Step two: each owner selects five keepers that they must roster and that can't be selected by other owners (1969 to present in the WiS forums league).

Then the first round is drafted with draft order based on historical incompetence. A maximum of two players can be drafted from each franchise in each round to keep it fair. The original owner of each player can no longer use any players drafted from him.

Then one more keeper is selected and a second round is drafted. Repeat one more time for the third.

And that's how you Rule V.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Rule V translates to 'Hell' in most modern languages.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

toadee posted:

Rule V translates to 'Hell' in most modern languages.

This is a level of wrongness up there with your Twitter opinions! Unless you mean that Rule V is 'Hell'a fun.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Devo posted:

This is a level of wrongness up there with your Twitter opinions! Unless you mean that Rule V is 'Hell'a fun.

Hahaha that does sound hella fun. More fun than S24, for sure, but that applies to pick six too which may be actual hell

Unrelated: at least 3 2 available franchises in DiMaggio this off season (like 2-3 weeks away), go here if the idea of serialized fake nerd baseball is exciting to you

uublog fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 26, 2013

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So this is the Johnny Damon team I entered.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So, we all got a credit to gridiron dynasty, and we might as well use it. Anyone want to join a world?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

So, we all got a credit to gridiron dynasty, and we might as well use it. Anyone want to join a world?

I just joined Dobie with my free cred if any of you dudes want in on this poo poo

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
This team should be interesting:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Holy poo poo a $160M cap, how'd you find this and why didn't tell us?? (also where is this insane team)

tangentially, '13 uehara is both expensive and awesome as poo poo. proof:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I thought 160m theme leagues were fairly popular, just boring as poo poo because everyone's using the same people.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Power of Pecota posted:

I thought 160m theme leagues were fairly popular, just boring as poo poo because everyone's using the same people.

Pretty much. Also the people who join them are usually really dumb, that's why BB cleans up every time he does one

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
160M is a bit high out of my comfort zone (I'm at my best around 130-150), but I wanted to make a crazy-rear end triples team.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

Pretty much. Also the people who join them are usually really dumb, that's why BB cleans up every time he does one

Well poo poo I guess I'm missing out then

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So this happened in the 2nd game of random captain. I'm not sure what else you can say about this.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Figure I may as well share my BINGO team. Not really very thrilled with it but my card sucked.

1891 1998 1980 1925 1982

1912 1940 1969 1897 1887

1950 2002 Free 1961 2000

1909 2013 1977 1898 1937

1900 1894 1952 1917 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So this certainly happened in Random Captain

Harvey Haddix would be proud!

• Locked thread