Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

priznat posted:

That new Google Authenticator app doesn't put what service the code is for next to it, that's dumb as hell. I have google + dropbox and the only way I can tell which is which is the order. Gonna try Authy.

Click the Edit button and you can edit the text below the OTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

caboodle posted:

Who are these people???
Why would I trust them with my most valuable online data?
No thanks.

You've misunderstood how this works. A little knowledge is dangerous.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazy posted:

Click the Edit button and you can edit the text below the OTP.

:doh: ! I clicked that edit but didn't notice you could edit the text. Thanks! Thought it was just for removing them.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Interesting observation here..

My friend was complaining that she was getting images in Mail as inline images, and not attachments (click to download the attachment and see the image). Turns out, if you're on wi-fi, iOS will automatically download those images and show them inline. If you're on cellular data, it won't until you tap the icon to download. I would love if Apple let us decide that. Unless you can, and I'm just missing it?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
That's definitely not how Mail works on my iOS devices. I have to prompt it to download images whether I'm on wifi or not. I'm pretty sure "download inline images" is a setting in the Mail, Calendar, Contacts section.

edit: just checked on my phone and i have "load remote images" set to off. my guess is she has it set to on.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wouldn't it also depend on how the image was attached, e.g., an attachment or inline from HTML formatting?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

vikingstrike posted:

Wouldn't it also depend on how the image was attached, e.g., an attachment or inline from HTML formatting?

Well that's the bizarre part. I sent her a test email from a couple of different clients by attaching the image file (as opposed to pasting it inline to the body), and each time it came up as inline on her phone. It wasn't until she turned off WiFi that the attachment icon popped up.

Also, she turned off the Load Remote Images and it still did it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

caboodle posted:

Who are these people???
Why would I trust them with my most valuable online data?
No thanks.

You aren't trusting them with any data. If you choose to turn on the (off by default) token backup service, the data is encrypted using a password you set on the device first. Do some reading on how 2FA tokens actually work instead of making assumptions.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

trilljester posted:

Well that's the bizarre part. I sent her a test email from a couple of different clients by attaching the image file (as opposed to pasting it inline to the body), and each time it came up as inline on her phone. It wasn't until she turned off WiFi that the attachment icon popped up.

Also, she turned off the Load Remote Images and it still did it.

Remote images is relating to HTML emails and loading the pictures in those. Nothing to do with attachments.

I would assume that iOS Mail works the same as OSX Mail in that smaller attachments are displayed inline and larger attachments give you the icon you can click/tap to force to download.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I just found a neat Mac<>iPhone application called DeskConnect. You can easily transfer files to and from devices a la AirDrop, initiate phone calls, or share your clipboard. Files are only accessible for 30 days it appears. All around pretty well done from my limited usage today.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 9, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I thought about getting that app but thought I'd just wait it out for iOS 7 since it's supposed to have airdrop as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AirDrop only works between same OS devices right now: iOS to iOS or OS X to OS X. I'm not sure if that's going to change with Mavericks.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

AirDrop only works between same OS devices right now: iOS to iOS or OS X to OS X. I'm not sure if that's going to change with Mavericks.

So my iPhone still won't be able to airdrop with my MacBook come iOS 7? Guess I'll give the app a try if I'm understanding that correctly.

thepartyrobot
Oct 18, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So my iPhone still won't be able to airdrop with my MacBook come iOS 7?

That's 100% correct. (To the best of my knowledge at least)
Hopefully that'll change in a point update though.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If it's going to change with Mavericks, it has yet to be introduced in the previews. I think it was the last episode of MacBreak Weekly that this was discussed, and they didn't seem to think OSX-iOS airdrop was coming any time soon (not that they would really know for sure).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

spongeworthy posted:

I just found a neat Mac<>iPhone application called DeskConnect. You can easily transfer files to and from devices a la AirDrop, initiate phone calls, or share your clipboard. Files are only accessible for 30 days it appears. All around pretty well done from my limited usage today.

I love this service. It should be drat well built in by Apple though...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Lexicon posted:

I love this service. It should be drat well built in by Apple though...
What's more, I wish there was some kind of Windows software to support AirDrop too. I love my iPhone and iPad but I can't delve 100% into Apple's ecosystem quite yet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Can someone tell me why desk connect doesn't use Bluetooth? The whole reason I wanted it was because I don't have home Internet. Ri-dick-il-us.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
I just got an iphone and wonder what running app you recommend? I didn't see any exercise apps in the OP nor when scanning through the thread. Is RunKeeper the one to get?

I would also like an app for live sport scores, should I go with ESPN ScoreCenter?

thanks

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I used Map My Run:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/

That is to say I used it. I'm lazy. Stop judging me.

For example, here's my 5k road race I did at the beginning of the summer.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/new-britain-ct/3-17mi-run-on-5-11-13-route-206668375

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

fancyclown posted:

I just got an iphone and wonder what running app you recommend? I didn't see any exercise apps in the OP nor when scanning through the thread. Is RunKeeper the one to get?

I would also like an app for live sport scores, should I go with ESPN ScoreCenter?

thanks

Yahoo has a decent score app afaik.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks! Map My Run looks sweet, will check out yahoo's score app too. :tipshat:

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

fancyclown posted:

Thanks! Map My Run looks sweet, will check out yahoo's score app too. :tipshat:

Seconding the yahoo! Sports app. It used to be called Sportacular. It's pretty solid.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

fancyclown posted:

I've been using RunKeeper for the last few years and I highly recommend it. You can skip on all the expensive Pro features though.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Seconding the yahoo! Sports app. It used to be called Sportacular. It's pretty solid.

Is it better than the ESPN app? Does it have ads?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Yes but they are pretty minimal. No popups or anything. The app is easy to customize your favorites, I've tried others but this is my go-to sports app.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The ESPN app kinda sucks. It has
ads on most screens and the interface is outrageously nested. It's great for notifying me on scores for games featuring my favorite MLB teams in notification center, but that's it. It has never given me tennis info, golf info, or
Bundesliga info outside of someone winning a championship. Those are all set as "My Sports," and AFAIK there's nothing I can do to further customize my interest.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

webmeister posted:

I've been using RunKeeper for the last few years and I highly recommend it. You can skip on all the expensive Pro features though.

And it links to a pebble!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I think livescore addicts is the best score app if you just care about footy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fancyclown posted:

Any chance you could switch and wait for a 5S or is that out of your price range? The M7 motion chip stuff could be a big deal as far as usability for fitness stuff.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Dolby is a greedy poo poo sack of a company who forced developers to remove AC3 support if they didn't pay them a licensing fee.

That means It's Playing and Goodplayer don't play back my videos with AC3 audio :(

Is there a media player for iOS that supports AC3 and streaming over SMB?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

ashgromnies posted:

Dolby is a greedy poo poo sack of a company who forced developers to remove AC3 support if they didn't pay them a licensing fee.

That means It's Playing and Goodplayer don't play back my videos with AC3 audio :(

Is there a media player for iOS that supports AC3 and streaming over SMB?

CineXPlayer HD

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

voltron posted:

CineXPlayer HD

I saw that but it doesn't look like it supports SMB streaming?

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I got burned this morning with Sleep Cycle and iOS 7. The first alarm went off and I tapped the phone to snooze, and at some point after that, there was an alert on the screen from iOS asking permission to use the microphone. It stopped any subsequent alarms, so I ended up sleeping an extra 30 minutes. It could have been a lot worse, since I still had enough time to catch my train, etc. Hopefully this will serve as a warning to other people who rely on it.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

On the topic of sports apps, just wondering if anybody has a recommendation for an EPL app? The ladder, match results, bit of news etc. Preferably free. Thanks.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Fillerbunny posted:

I got burned this morning with Sleep Cycle and iOS 7. The first alarm went off and I tapped the phone to snooze, and at some point after that, there was an alert on the screen from iOS asking permission to use the microphone. It stopped any subsequent alarms, so I ended up sleeping an extra 30 minutes. It could have been a lot worse, since I still had enough time to catch my train, etc. Hopefully this will serve as a warning to other people who rely on it.

I don't get why people complain about apps not working properly on an operating system that isn't released yet. Sleep Cycle hasn't been updated for iOS7. iOS7 betas are meant for people developing software for iOS7. It's your own fault if you're using it for anything else.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Kempy posted:

On the topic of sports apps, just wondering if anybody has a recommendation for an EPL app? The ladder, match results, bit of news etc. Preferably free. Thanks.

Livescore features all the leagues in the world, with match results, ladders, lineups, videos of goals, etc, but no news.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

status posted:

I don't get why people complain about apps not working properly on an operating system that isn't released yet. Sleep Cycle hasn't been updated for iOS7. iOS7 betas are meant for people developing software for iOS7. It's your own fault if you're using it for anything else.

But he wasn't complaining? He was just warning people about it, as Sleep Cycle is pretty much the de facto goon alarm clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

xzzy posted:

But he wasn't complaining? He was just warning people about it, as Sleep Cycle is pretty much the de facto goon alarm clock.

I dunno, "I got burned this morning with Sleep Cycle and iOS 7." seems like a complaint about Sleep Cycle not working properly.

• Locked thread