Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

SlayVus posted:

So I haven't updated my drivers in a bit, sitting on 314.22. I think the reason why I didn't update was because there were problems with the cards not down clocking while not in use among other things. Should I update or stay where I am? Single GTX 680.
I'm in the same boat as this guy. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

td4guy posted:

I'm in the same boat as this guy. Anyone?

You should try updating, and even consider running it as a clean install unless you have some spectacular settings you will miss dearly. I have not had a single issue with the current beta.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Gonkish posted:

FWIW, like I said, the 760 is really god damned impressive. Everything I've thrown at it thus far it has eaten up and asked for more. It's basically a faster, less-expensive 670, after all.
The 760 isn't faster than a 670, but its price/performance ratio is wacky.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Any word on new generation cards coming out late this year or early next year, in response to the new consoles launching? I'm right on the cusp of putting together a completely new system, and I'm curious if Nvidia/AMD are going to have any major generational changes in their next batch of cards to bring them in line with any new tech in the console GPU's, or if it'll be just business as usual and I don't need to bother waiting.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The "new tech" in console GPUs is the same tech that's been in the HD 7000 series for well over a year now. But we are expecting new Radeons for the holidays. No new GeForces for a while, though, except the super-high-end Titan Ultra (uncut GK110) and GTX 790 (dual GK110 SLI on a card).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Digital Jesus posted:

(Watch_Dogs, BF4/COD:G, Titanfall, The Division). I know this poo poo is impossible to predict but that's my goal nonetheless.

I can tell you that Watch Dogs is going to be one of those titles that are far more taxing on the CPU than on the GPU.

And if my experience on that title is any indication, I think this is going to be the same for many of the "PC port" next gen titles. In short, the consoles are much more efficient at multithreading rendering. You can issue draw calls from multiple threads with little to no overhead. On the other hand, on PC, something between the GPU driver and the Windows DDI adds a ton of overhead to multithreaded draw calls, to the point it can perform worse than single threaded. So you're better off with a CPU with faster single core performance than a GPU, as your rendering speed will be dictated by the critical path of the rendering thread. There's still some time for GPU driver developers to try to address this before next gen launches, but I'm not holding my breath.

Of course, this is entirely dependent on the engine, and I'm sure there are better performing examples out there. But that should be even more indicative of waiting for the games to actually launch before shopping hardware for them.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about moving from 1080p to 1440p or multi-monitor gaming. I currently have a Sapphire HD 7950 and was wondering if it would run in crossfire with a MSI HD 7950. I realize that for CF or SLI, it would typically be better to get the same/similar card, but wasn't sure if I could use the MSI branded with a Sapphire. I ask because after rebate then MSI 7950 is only $179.99(!!!).

It also comes with three free games on top of the price cut. I am having a hard time not purchasing it but wanted to see what the thread thought first. Bad idea? Will it work?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Looks like anyone buying an EVGA 760 or 770 can now get a free backplate:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00779/ posted:

Awesome Card, Awesome Deal

Looking for a good deal on an EVGA GeForce GTX 770 or GTX 760? How about a FREE Backplate* with participating EVGA GeForce GTX 770 or GTX 760 graphics cards?

Register your participating EVGA GeForce GTX 770 or 760 graphics card, and sign up below to get an exclusive EVGA backplate shipped directly to your door, absolutely free.

This backplate helps to reinforce the PCB, protects critical components and best of all, looks awesome!

Get yours today!

http://www.evga.com/articles/00779/

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I am a cynical bastard because the first thing I thought was "Oh poo poo, they found something they missed in QA!"

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Mad_Patter posted:

Different vendors and crossfire: Will it work?

There shouldn't be any problems, but only do crossfire on a single monitor, multi monitor and frame pacing is not working yet.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alereon posted:

I am a cynical bastard because the first thing I thought was "Oh poo poo, they found something they missed in QA!"

It's only two specific models, meaning anyone who bought a 760/770 but didn't get THOSE TWO SPECIFIC MODELS (like me) don't get poo poo.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Gonkish posted:

It's only two specific models, meaning anyone who bought a 760/770 but didn't get THOSE TWO SPECIFIC MODELS (like me) don't get poo poo.
For me, that's a big part of why it sounds like a fix for some underlying problem. I have an EVGA GTX780, why isn't it important for my PCB to be re-enforced? Where's my goddamned backplate!?

I also notice it's only for the models with the ACX cooler, the 770 with the blower (eg: Titan/780 cooler) doesn't get one, neither does 4gb version it seems....

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Fuzz1111 posted:

For me, that's a big part of why it sounds like a fix for some underlying problem. I have an EVGA GTX780, why isn't it important for my PCB to be re-enforced? Where's my goddamned backplate!?

I also notice it's only for the models with the ACX cooler, the 770 with the blower (eg: Titan/780 cooler) doesn't get one, neither does 4gb version it seems....

I find that very odd. The ACX coolers already have an 'inner plate' that reinforces the cards. It seems to me like the blower models need the backplate.

Regardless of the reason, saving $20 on the backplate is awesome. I am a sucker who bought a 780 Classified and a backplate. So. poor.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
The 780/Titan blower is metal and I'd have thought it would provide all the rigidity needed.

I didn't even know you could buy a backplate as an optional extra though, so I guess I'll just stick with "where's my goddamned backplate evga!?"

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I don't even know why we need backplates but now I want one!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Backplates are kinda important with the larger custom coolers since long PCBs tend to flex, so if the card already has a metal plate and they're still providing a backplate they may be worried about long-term warranty issues or something.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just wish that I'd be able to get one, considering I bought a 760 (it's the 4GB model because reasons), but nope.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I ordered a superclocked EVGA GTX 770 yesterday and I want a free custom blackplate :emo:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So a major fire broke out in Hynix.

quote:

SK Hynix Inc, the world’s second-largest maker of computer-memory chips, suspended operations at a factory in China after a fire.

The company is ascertaining if there are any casualties and investigating the cause of the fire, which occurred at a plant in Wuxi, China, Son Hee Young, a spokesman of Icheon, South Korea-based SK Hynix, said in an telephone interview. The fire, which started at 3:50 p.m. local time during deployment of equipment, was extinguished by 5:20 p.m., the company said in a statement today.

The factory makes dynamic random-access memory chips for mobile phones and personal computers.

SK Hynix, which supplies chips to global smartphone manufacturers including Apple Inc., said in July there was limited second-half supply growth for memory chips. Lower-end smartphones will drive demand for dynamic random-access memory, or DRAM, chips in the second half, it had said.

Hynix shares rose 0.7 percent to 28,650 won at the close in Seoul. The stock has gained 11 percent this year, compared with a 3.2 percent decline in the benchmark Kospi index.
With the latest estimates placing Hynix somewhere around 30% of the world’s DRAM production – for Hynix to lose half its capacity in seconds is about as serious as it gets in the technology market.

High performance GDDR5 from these FABs is crucial to the production of nVidia’s fastest GeForce GTX cards, so if you were thinking about buying one – then NOW might be the right time.

Our sources in the Far East have just told us that major memory brands have stopped shipping anything at all, until they know the full extent of the damage and how the markets will react.

This makes sense.

If you are a major memory brand and your warehouses in the Far East, Europe, USA etc are all packed full of product that was destined to be sold as the ‘pre-explosion price’, why wouldn’t you wait a day or two to see just how far the memory price will jump?

Given the profiling information we have seen on Hynix so far, it seems as though the slower cheaper memory in the world will ‘float up’ in price a little, while the performance product pricing will leap up like a leopard.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/memory/faith/hynix-fabs-on-fire-after-chemical-explosion/

So uh, gently caress waiting and buy a GPU immediately?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm a bit worried about what this'll do to the PS4 stock after the first wave as well.

e: Looks like this might effect ssd prices more than gpus.

quote:

A massive fire broke out this afternoon (local time), at a SK Hynix production facility in Wuxi, China. At this moment, pictures and videos of the fire are swarming through local social networks, and there are no official announcements by either the local authorities, or the company itself. Incidentally, this isn't the first fire accident at an SK Hynix manufacturing facility, a Korea-based fab suffered one in February 2008. The facility hit by fire is rumored to be one that handles packaging (placing bumped dies inside ceramic or plastic shells, and labeling them). If the extant of damage to the facility is high, it might affect NAND flash prices more than DRAM, since the company recently prioritized NAND flash over DRAM for the facility.
Bolding mine.

http://www.techpowerup.com/190121/massive-fire-at-sk-hynix-facility-in-wuxi-china.html

Either way this is still terrible and I hope no one was killed.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 4, 2013

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
From what I heard no one was killed, just a dude injured.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mutation posted:

From what I heard no one was killed, just a dude injured.

That's good.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/04/china-hynix-idUSL2N0H013R20130904?irpc=932

It also looks like no "material damage" was caused to the clean room where the chips are made so Hynix really lucked out.

They are going to resume production shortly.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

My EVGA superclocked GTX 770 is here! :woop: and drat is it a nice looking card. My last graphics card was a Powercolor Radeon and it was just ugly, but this... This is glorious.

I'm a little bummed that Australia is apparently not part of the Arkham Origins promo, but I'm still happy with my purchase!

I ended up going with the 770 over the 760 because there's a very real chance I'll get a 1440p screen shortly and wanted to keep the SLI option as a possible performance booster later when they drop in price (as opposed to getting two 760s and then having nowhere to go). Also, I hate money.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The latest beta drivers (still the ones posted earlier that is) have done in two aspects of my overclock, I had to lower my memory clocks by 10MHz too, haha. I was getting artifacts in, of all things, Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. Since this matters absolutely not at all, I don't really care, but it's kind of silly how driver revisions can take a stable clock and make it unstable out of the blue (or into the blue...screen :rimshot:). I have no room to gripe, though, it's a loving GTX 780 at 1080p, I haven't met the game it can't run well at stock clocks, overclocking is pretty much academic and "just because it's what you do."

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Hey GPUGoons.. I have a GTX 560 Ti Fermi, and it's been locking up for several months with no real regularity. Most the times, I'm browsing the forums or youtube and the mouse will stop for a few seconds, then it'll work again, but nothing in windows responds. Then the mouse will lock up again and I'll have to reboot. I'm reading in the thread history and all around the internet that the 320 drivers pretty much borked some user's cards. I'm just not really finding any official word from Nvidia on it. I'll roll back to 314.xx when I get home and see if that fixes it, but I wanted to see if anyone knew of acknowledgement/eta on resolving this issue?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Aexo posted:

Hey GPUGoons.. I have a GTX 560 Ti Fermi, and it's been locking up for several months with no real regularity. Most the times, I'm browsing the forums or youtube and the mouse will stop for a few seconds, then it'll work again, but nothing in windows responds. Then the mouse will lock up again and I'll have to reboot. I'm reading in the thread history and all around the internet that the 320 drivers pretty much borked some user's cards. I'm just not really finding any official word from Nvidia on it. I'll roll back to 314.xx when I get home and see if that fixes it, but I wanted to see if anyone knew of acknowledgement/eta on resolving this issue?

Update to the current beta.

What are your temperatures while idle and doing nothing? Under load?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
So on my reference cooler, gtx 760, my fan is making a noise where its almost like theres a piece of paper hitting the fan, and brushing up against it. It's really annoying. Anything I can do?

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 6, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

jink posted:

Looks like anyone buying an EVGA 760 or 770 can now get a free backplate:

http://www.evga.com/articles/00779/

gently caress them, the 4GB models are not included in this? What the gently caress, first Amazon fucks me out of Blacklist and now this? :smithicide:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

deimos posted:

gently caress them, the 4GB models are not included in this? What the gently caress, first Amazon fucks me out of Blacklist and now this? :smithicide:

This is Nvidia's way of telling you to fuckoff. :frogout: They clearly want you to buy the upcoming GTX 790.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Phiberoptik posted:

So on my reference cooler, gtx 760, my fan is making a noise where its almost like theres a piece of paper hitting the fan, and brushing up against it. It's really annoying. Anything I can do?
Is there a cable or wire touching it? Is it under warranty? If it's not then your only other options are to deal with it or go with aftermarket cooling, though if it's under warranty you may be able to get it replaced.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Update to the current beta.

What are your temperatures while idle and doing nothing? Under load?

Current beta didn't help, unfortunatley.

~35 idle and no more than 75 under load.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Aexo posted:

Current beta didn't help, unfortunatley.

~35 idle and no more than 75 under load.

35 idle is within the normal range I believe. I myself idle at 37, under load around 58-64.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 7, 2013

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Yeah, I realized I had my case fans on low when I did the test. Re-running it with the case fans cranked, I'm getting around 70 degrees. Still not as low as you, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, especially since most the lock ups occur when I'm just web browsing.

metallyca
Oct 26, 2004

Aexo posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, running a 560Ti and started having issues about a month ago. Although my issue is the driver stops responding and Windows is unable to restart it so I get the dreaded BSOD. Don't remember exactly what driver I was using when it first started happening but reverted to 314.22 and didn't have a problem for a month until I decided to try the latest beta drivers. Ran fine for about a week and when I got home today Windows had recovered from a blue screen so again I've reverted back to 314.22 and we'll see what happens.

Temps were pretty much what you stated above, ~35C idle and about 70C on load.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Hey, I bought a new EVGA superclocked gtx660 and I'm wondering about temperatures. It can go over 70C° under load at 60-70% fanspeed in demanding games. Is this normal or do I have a problem?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That's normal.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

LCD Deathpanel posted:

Is there a cable or wire touching it? Is it under warranty? If it's not then your only other options are to deal with it or go with aftermarket cooling, though if it's under warranty you may be able to get it replaced.

No cables touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxMV8YFFJgs

Is that typical for noise?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Phiberoptik posted:

Is that typical for noise?
Yeah, but it's not nearly as noticeable when tucked away in a case.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No, that does not sound typical, IMO. It's too rattle-y. I'd contact the manufacturer, probably get an RMA for the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Factory Factory posted:

No, that does not sound typical, IMO. It's too rattle-y. I'd contact the manufacturer, probably get an RMA for the card.

If you want a second opinion, yeah that's the sound of something wrong - either the fan making contact with something poking up under the shroud, or the motor having severe issues. RMA all day everyday. Wait, no, just as often as needed and hopefully not often at that.