Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Haha, I thought Kimi ni Todoke was a completed series. Silly me! Chapter 80 even comes across as a finale chapter, but apparently it's not since there's a chapter 81 out there.

Well so far that was a pretty great read, and to begin with I felt the two protagonists were the weakest links(besides Jo, who as a character literally exists to stagnate the plot and is the worst), and while I still vastly prefer Chizu and Ayane's storylines more, Sawako and Kazehaya drastically improved over the last 20 chapters. While I still think Kazehaya could have been replaced by a piece of particle board for most of the anime series and a bunch of the later bits of the manga, Sawako progressed pretty believably in the latter chapters. It became almost a sign of her progress as the "chibi/dunce" Sawako began to make fewer and fewer appearances as she gained more awareness of her surroundings. Kimi ni Todoke is a fairly flawed series(granted, I don't know how the manga handled the first 45 chapters if any differently from the anime) in that I REALLY don't think it needs to be as long as it is to accomplish things. If there was a bonus 4koma or something with Jo falling down and a government ID badge with "executive meddler" on it falls out of his front pocket, I would not be surprised in the least. I enjoyed a lot of it and I was impressed that a latecomer to the series(I assume Kent shows up in like the 30ish chapters, right?) gets such solid development and also winds up making genuine mistakes but also getting good, believable chances at redemption for them.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kimi ni Todoke is actually up to Chapter 81, I posted the link a little bit upthread. Ever since s2scans took over it's sometimes slow to show up on any reader other than theirs.

e: :effort:
http://s2scanlations.com/online/reader/read/kimi_ni_todoke/en/0/81/page/1

e:e: you're already aware that the chapter exists! Oh well.

Back in the Season 2 thread, someone posted a photoshop rendition of the Jaws poster where the shark was replaced by Joe, Sawako and Kazehaya might even have been the ones in the water at the top. I really had to laugh when even the characters moved to forcibly restrain him when they realise that Sawako is taking off to finally go tell Kazehaya how she feels. :allears:

Oh Sylphid, If you liked Octave you will probably also like Love My Life, it's a pretty quick read and there's even a live action adaptation to watch if you like, no anime though.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 14, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

a kitten posted:

Oh Sylphid, If you liked Octave you will probably also like Love My Life, it's a pretty quick read and there's even a live action adaptation to watch if you like, no anime though.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Well, proceeding with the recommendations given me, I've finished up Sasameki Koto. I suppose a nice change from all the dramatics of Marimite and Octave was in order. Light-hearted yuri will always have a place, but I'm still quite partial to the dramatics.

Anyhow, this was a good show, but more light-hearted than I would have guessed from the Wiki summary of it. It's hard to post final-word impressions on it when, as I have been informed, the anime only covers a part of the story. I'll definitely continue that story in the manga in place of Octave, and move on Simoun in terms of anime. That, I must admit, I can't wait to start, given how bizarre the description sounds. Based just on what I've heard, it definitely seems Invictus has it right when it's a disciple of the school of "Throw everything you can think of at a wall and see what sticks".

I'll revisit Sasameki when I'm done with the story and try to sum up my feelings on it then, but just from the anime, Sumika is a dope, she and Kazama are a perfect fit for each other, and Tomoe is the best character. I also really liked the crossdressing guy for some reason. I dunno, he was cute. The final episode had a really unusual plot, I want to say. It wasn't bad, just certainly not what I was expecting. But like the sap I am, I still really liked the ending, both of the episode proper and the last bit at the end.

By the way, am I way off in thinking the show blatantly referenced Marimite in one episode? It was the one where Sumika was helping with the fanzine, and Aoi brought up the something something Girls Academy series, and the poster she had on the wall had two characters who looked a lot like Sachiko and Yumi, and the uniform she wanted to cosplay in also bore a more than passing resemblance to the Marimite uniform. Could be I was seeing things that weren't there, but it was definitely suspicious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: so this post isn't pointless!

After reading Sand Chronicles I looked at some other things the author did and decided to take a look at Piece(the rest of her works seem to be one-shots, which I'm really not a big fan of generally). I've read the first chapter and it was pretty intriguing, and pretty sad. There's only five chapters scanlated so far though, hopefully someone will pick it back up, it's apparently a completed ten-volume series(so about 30 chapters or so), and the summary is, well, it seems perfectly drama-tastic.

quote:

One day, Mizuho, a university student, receive news that her classmate in high school, Origuchi Haruka, passed away. Mizuho doesn't remember being best friends with Origuchi, but apparently, Origuchi told her mother that Mizuho was her best friend. And now, her mother wants Mizuho to help her find the boy Origuchi dated during high school. Mizuho told Origuchi's mother that Origuchi was a very plain girl, and she was never seen with a guy, but her mother told Mizuho that Origuchi got pregnant and had an abortion when she was in high school. Mizuho was shocked, but she still starts asking her other classmates in high school and following the traces Origuchi left behind.

edit: even with the kinda sad air to the story, I couldn't help but laugh at the second chapter's little character description panel by the author, for Origuchi. "I killed someone again. Sorry."

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 15, 2013

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Sylphid posted:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Well, proceeding with the recommendations given me, I've finished up Sasameki Koto. I suppose a nice change from all the dramatics of Marimite and Octave was in order. Light-hearted yuri will always have a place, but I'm still quite partial to the dramatics.

Anyhow, this was a good show, but more light-hearted than I would have guessed from the Wiki summary of it. It's hard to post final-word impressions on it when, as I have been informed, the anime only covers a part of the story. I'll definitely continue that story in the manga in place of Octave, and move on Simoun in terms of anime. That, I must admit, I can't wait to start, given how bizarre the description sounds. Based just on what I've heard, it definitely seems Invictus has it right when it's a disciple of the school of "Throw everything you can think of at a wall and see what sticks".

I can't remember when exactly the anime ends, but Sasameki Koto's best parts are after it; the best parts were the ending and the more dramatic parts, which felt realistic without being... excessively dramatic, I guess?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think I got the idea to read Poor Poor Lips from someone in this thread, thanks! It was a cute and funny read, and actually dealt with significant discrimination and varying sexualities in a pretty smooth and not insulting manner, which was really surprising!

Probably my only complaint is the protagonist looking like a 12-year-old instead of her supposed 21-years-old. Other than that it was pretty fantastic. I'd buy the two English volumes but they're out of print and 40-50 dollars on Amazon apparently, sucks.

edit: god drat it, don't look up other works by the author. Guess I know why Nako looks like a 12-year-old now. :negative:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 16, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

To commemorate Sasameki Koto being removed from CR I give you
Fuckyeahlesbians.gif

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
More Taiyou no Ie (chapters 26 & 27!) seems to have come out without me noticing!

edit: this manga - so cute!

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 18, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh boy, two new chapters of Sekitou Elergy!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Man, you all weren't kidding with how little the Sasameki Koto anime actually covers the manga. I was looking around a bit to find where the anime left off and the manga began, when I find out it was Chapter 13. I guess the idea was one episode a chapter. Makes sense, but there's more than 50 chapters of this thing.

Also, that Manga no Tsukurikata from last page looks right up my alley, too. I can definitely work with that, when I'm done with Koto.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

More Taiyou no Ie (chapters 26 & 27!) seems to have come out without me noticing!

edit: this manga - so cute!

Mao has some really cool clothes, and a new chapter. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-007-Ch-028--Retreat?id=173026

And finally after forever there's a new Kuragehime chapter. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-007-Ch-028--Retreat?id=173026

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's the proper Kuragehime link.

And I wonder how many volumes of Taiyou no Ie will be put out before it ends. Seems like they could continue on for a long while, yet. Also, it rules and is really drat funny at times, if you can forgive the cliche romantic density of both main characters.

edit: need some more Aki Eda while waiting for more Bonnouji? Have at ye

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 21, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Let's see...

We've got Manga no Tsukurika: Chapter 40 and I think I just need to re-read the whole drat thing since I've completely lost the thread of what's going on.

Takako Shimura's web manga One Hundred Views of Awajima is up on dynasty's reader finally. I barely remember anything about it, even though I read some translation or another a while back.

Turns out it was a long while back since it also says this:

quote:

A series of oneshots focusing on the lives of girl's attending an opera music school. Ryouko Ueda from Shimura's series Sweet Blue Flowers makes an appearance in chapter 2.

The status of this web series could be considered ambiguous - Shimura has recently mentioned it on her blog, and it still maintains a front page presence on the Poco Poco website. However, its last update was over 2 years ago.

Sylphid posted:

Man, you all weren't kidding with how little the Sasameki Koto anime actually covers the manga. I was looking around a bit to find where the anime left off and the manga began, when I find out it was Chapter 13. I guess the idea was one episode a chapter. Makes sense, but there's more than 50 chapters of this thing.

Also, that Manga no Tsukurikata from last page looks right up my alley, too. I can definitely work with that, when I'm done with Koto.

You really liked Maria-sama ga Miteru if I remember correctly from the recomendation thread, so there's a chance you'll really like Chatting at the Amber Teahouse, which is all subtext laden like Maria-sama is. It took a while to grow on me, but it it did as I kept reading, and by the end I liked it a whole lot, it's really laid-back story.

e: Man, I'm so behind on Kuragehime, I really need to rectify that.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 22, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

a kitten posted:

You really liked Maria-sama ga Miteru if I remember correctly from the recomendation thread, so there's a chance you'll really like Chatting at the Amber Teahouse, which is all subtext laden like Maria-sama is. It took a while to grow on me, but it grew on me as I kept reading, it's really laid-back story.

You're not wrong about that. Like I said, I loved Maria-sama, so anything that's like it is also very cool with me.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Here's the proper Kuragehime link.

And I wonder how many volumes of Taiyou no Ie will be put out before it ends. Seems like they could continue on for a long while, yet. Also, it rules and is really drat funny at times, if you can forgive the cliche romantic density of both main characters.

edit: need some more Aki Eda while waiting for more Bonnouji? Have at ye

I don't know how I managed to gently caress up linking that but thans for posting the right one.

I'd imagine that Taiyou will keep going for a good while since there are so many things that need to happen.

Big news there is a new chapter of Ore Monogatari!! http://www.batoto.net/read/_/188882/ore-monogatari_v1_ch2.1_by_kidus-scantalations

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

"Today was a good day" indeed.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Oh there's a new Josei series by Nakahara Aya of Love Com fame. Only two chapters in and it's fantastic. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/186853/dame-na-watashi-ni-koishite-kudasai_ch1_by_dazzling-scans

A one pretty good one volume series by her also got translated a little while ago too. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/junjou-drop-r4697

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So today I was playing manga roulette (pick a random manga knowing nothing about it in advance) and picked up Oresama Teacher.

I'm ten chapters in and wow this is actually a pretty drat good manga. I completely broke down laughing at this page.

EDIT: Normally I can't stand Takaomi's type but holy poo poo he's fantastic.

EDIT 2: Links edited out, thanks for the save coathat!

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 23, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's a great series and you should buy it since its liscensed.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

coathat posted:

It's a great series and you should buy it since its liscensed.

Oh crap really?

I'll get right on that then.

coathat
May 21, 2007

If you like Oresama Teacher you should check out her other ongoing series Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun-r1880

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

coathat posted:

If you like Oresama Teacher you should check out her other ongoing series Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun-r1880

I really, really, love this series in particular because the author is so self-aware of the silliness of certain tropes you find all the time in shoujo manga. I didn't think I could breathe anymore when all of the guys gathered around to play an otome game.

I wonder why the translation is missing certain chapters though?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget where I left off in Oresama Teacher myself. I thought it was good but I just kind of lost interest after a while. Also said teacher was kind of a dick in an unamusing way.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

a kitten posted:

We've got Manga no Tsukurika: Chapter 40 and I think I just need to re-read the whole drat thing since I've completely lost the thread of what's going on.

I'm thinking this translation isn't really helping.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

a kitten posted:

You really liked Maria-sama ga Miteru if I remember correctly from the recomendation thread, so there's a chance you'll really like Chatting at the Amber Teahouse, which is all subtext laden like Maria-sama is. It took a while to grow on me, but it it did as I kept reading, and by the end I liked it a whole lot, it's really laid-back story.

I think it's safe to say that Chatting at the Amber Teahouse is less "subtext" and more "TEXT, TEXT, TEXT, and here's some subtext in case this still isn't getting through".

Also fashion design. Fujieda Miyabi has a real knack for fashion. And on that note, Alice Quartet IS mostly subtext.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 23, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Big update for Hibi Chouchou - 5 chapters!
After pages and pages of awkward silences, long glances, and all the blushing...progress! :kimchi:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't tell if Oresama Teacher is amazing or amazingly terrible.

It's just so schizophrenic and prone to weird tangents, but also really, really god drat funny at other times. The short Maid Cafe/school invasion subplot was amaaaaaazing.

And I've got some problems with the art. The artist only knows how to draw one type of male character and then slap slightly different types of hair on them, so every dude(in a series that is all dudes except like two or three girls) looks nearly identical, how confusing! And Saeki's head is itty-bitty! He looks so weird when you can see his head and shoulders in one frame. Also the action kinda sucks. It's all before-and-after, there's practically no in-process attacks, always blurs and speed line slashes. If anything, I'd expect a series that focuses so heavily on punks and delinquents to have better fight scenes. That said, they do make pretty great comedy scenes and faces, and this is another series where I like it when the characters go into minimalist, low-quality, comedy scene mode.

It feels a little bit like it's dragging since every Student Council member gets a flashback that takes up at least a decent chunk of a chapter, and there's six(or more) of them. It's like if every Dr. Wily Robot Master got a backstory cinematic and then monologue before each fight. I'm not even close to the current chapter yet but it is improving so far. Saeki's still a colossal prick even with his ~slightly tragic past~

edit: Oh my god it gets so much better/stupider once you hit around chapter 50/60!!

edit: Finished chapter 97, gently caress it, gently caress it, Oresama Teacher is great. It takes a while to really get good and has some really crap parts in the first few dozen chapters, but from around the chapter 50-60 area it just is just great/amazingly dumb and goofy almost all the time. Also, I don't know why anyone would tag it as a romance. It's about as romantic as a rock. The most romantic parts are the occasional page or two of someone vaguely realizing they MIGHT JUST POSSIBLY have feelings for character X(probably Kurosaki since she's the only girl around most of the time) and then things return to normal.

The Student Council President is super interesting and I'm really intrigued by the direction they're taking him. I am really curious to see where this story goes and ends up, and how long the series will continue for, since they're only like halfway through the second year of high school by chapter 97, right? At this rate the series could go on for a good long while yet.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 26, 2013

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Taiyou no Ie has some extra chapters for the dog lover in all of us (also alcohol hyjinx).

Apparently Nisekoi and Ore Monogatari are also getting a crossover special. Maybe it'll drum up more interest for some scanlator out there for Ore Monogatari.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Allarion posted:

Taiyou no Ie has some extra chapters for the dog lover in all of us (also alcohol hyjinx).
Both of these completely rule and are touching/hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It seems that there's a new Kuragehime volume out, since they've started putting out new chapters!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kuragehime/Vol-012-Ch-061--The-Little-Match-Girl?id=173556

Hahahaha, "Hey everyone, Clara here! I've been neglected lately, but that's okay, I've just been drowning my sorrows with the bottle!

edit: welp, that turned into a bummer by the end

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 27, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another eventful chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

For some reason whenever I see this updated, I find I had also missed the previous chapter as well. Anyway, just one more volume correct?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A new Servant x Service, a new Kimi ni Todoke, today is a good day. :allears:

Kimi ni Todoke 84 is great, Valentine's Day 2! WHEN SUDDENLY

edit: another Taiyou no Ie as well! Oh COME ON Sugimoto, a text confession?! Though I admit that's probably the most in-character for her.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 30, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

A new Servant x Service, a new Kimi ni Todoke, today is a good day. :allears:

Kimi ni Todoke 84 is great, Valentine's Day 2! WHEN SUDDENLY

Chizu continues to be the best. I wonder what way Ryu planning on going to college in a different place will make her feelings about him jump?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man. Boys on the Run(which is reaalllllllllllyyyy good and you shouldn't read the summary for it since it's spoilery) totally has a really great nod to a series that probably inspired it. :v:

(slight spoilers for Boys on the Run I suppose)

Speaking of which, I can't believe only five volumes of Sekitou Elergy have been scanlated. Also that I believe it's just finished, at a solid fifteen volumes! Now I really want to see what happens in those since already so much happened in just five volumes.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Chatting at the Amber Teahouse is one of those things that if someone else hadn't recommended I check it out, I probably would never have found / had any interest in it, just from the title alone.

Which would have been a drat shame, since it's truly wonderful yuri. It starts out fairly innocuously, but it goes from 0 to yuri in record time. The impetus for the main couple getting together was an old lesbian couple came by the teahouse one day, and it just happened to be at a time when the two main characters were separated by a school trip. The couple had a short discussion with the owner, where she eventually realized she was beginning to have feelings for her friend, and the couple said they had been together for 50 years. When they were finally reunited after a few days, the owner asks her friend, "Stay with me for the next 50 years, and then some, okay?", and bam, we're off to the races.

The best individual scene, I think, was one when one of their friends (also in a girl-girl relationship) arranged for them to go on a date one day, and they cap off the date with the owner of the teahouse slipping a ring onto her friend's finger. Since they're in a public place and talking about being together forever and such, obviously it's very embarrassing for the both of them, but they eventually work things out and commit to a very long-term relationship with one another, centered around the teahouse. I found it an amusing detail that the vast majority of people who come to the shop are girls in relationships with other girls, simply because of the aura the owner and her friend give off.

I read an interview with the author, and he had a quote which I thought was just perfect when it comes to the appeal of yuri.

Fujieda Miyabi posted:

When two women are happy together as a couple, I can say that that is the time I am at my happiest

Couldn't have said it better myself. From the extras included in each volume, it seems his editor shares that sentiment. It's not the fastest I've seen two characters hook-up (that'd be Octave), but it's still pretty quick. Not that that's a bad thing, of course. The plot probably didn't light the world on fire when it was released, but as I learned from Marimite, plot is incidental at best when it comes to good yuri stories. Marimite ran for 10-something years with only the slightest whiff of an actual story, and it still managed to be fantastic.

In any case, I'll definitely check out more by this author, as it seems he really understands the value of romance and emotion in forming yuri relationships.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
If you haven't already ruined yourself for most shoujo manga by reading the recs in this thread, let me point you at a series which will take you the rest of the way! Laughing Lady Kanoko and its sequel, Koi dano Ai dano feature all the usual high school drama and events that you're used to, with the twist that the heroine is an arrogant, sarcastic loner who (at least in the first series) prides herself on her ability as the absolute observer, and spends her time dabbling in high school politics instead of pining over one or two love interests.

Pictures to entice you:

There is a central romance, but it's currently unrequited and mostly a bunch of pining and jealousy on the guy's part, leading to situations like this:

There's a catch, naturally. The second series has had some ups and downs wrt the scanlations, and the team on it right now is a small one that basically focuses solely on KDAD, so at any time, you might find yourself having to rely on summaries and raws to figuring out what's going on. But seriously, it's so worth it.

I rest my case.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

You look like you could use a new chapter of Bonnouji!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everyone can always use more Bonjouji. I really can't get over how great the chemistry between the two leads it.

I thought this was cute:

quote:

The anime anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day is all about loss and love, reunions and forgiveness, so it's fitting that it would eventually bring two people together.

A little over two years ago, 22-year-old Takimi Obayashi (now 24) went to Chichibu, a city in Saitama Prefecture, on a "seichi junrei"—essentially a pilgrimage—to the location where anohana was set. While there, he got separated from his travel partner. Luckily, 25-year-old (now 27) Yumi Akaishi was there to help him find his way back to his friend. At the time, the two parted without exchanging any contact information, but a few months later, Obayashi was able to find her through a social networking site.

Fast forward two years, and the couple is now married. They tied the knot back in June, but just recently returned to Chichibu, to the site of their first meeting, for an official fan event. On August 24, in celebration of the new Anohana movie, which was released in theaters on August 31, the studio hosted an official event in Chichibu. The newlyweds, whose love story made its way through the anohana community, were greeted by cheers and congratulations from the other fans gathered there, as well as personal congratulations from the voice actors at the event.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-09-06/fateful-anohana-pilgrimage-encounter-leads-to-love-and-marriage

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sekine-kun no Koi update:
hnnnnnnng that cliffhanger! Are you finally going to tell her or just gently caress it up like always? Also his joy at finally getting her contact info was so cute. :3: Sekine really comes across as kind of scary/creepy though, I hope he can work through some of that and stop being that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

babydonthurtme posted:

If you haven't already ruined yourself for most shoujo manga by reading the recs in this thread, let me point you at a series which will take you the rest of the way! Laughing Lady Kanoko and its sequel, Koi dano Ai dano feature all the usual high school drama and events that you're used to, with the twist that the heroine is an arrogant, sarcastic loner who (at least in the first series) prides herself on her ability as the absolute observer, and spends her time dabbling in high school politics instead of pining over one or two love interests.

I am enjoying this after finishing the first run, but find I can't read more than a chapter or two at a time. Like, I like it and all, but trying to read more than that in one go and I just entirely lose interest. Most series I can't get enough of, but this one I find myself getting distracted by other things midchapter. Weird, since it's not a bad series per say, though the author saying the first series was supposed to be a one-shot is extremely telling.

edit: WOW Tsubaki, gettin' kinda borderline molesty in Koi Dano Ai Dano! Hormones and frustration boiling over.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 8, 2013