Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Almost done. Needs one last coat of poly and then some buffing, but is otherwise done.
Very happy with the result, but it was a lot of work and I have barely had a weekend/evening off the last 3 weeks.
(Except now I have to make a bench to match it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't know if anyone remembers that Siegley jointer plane I posted about months back but I finally got around to sharpening the blade.
Red oak. If I had to guess I'd say this shaving is about .003", it's a tad thinner than copy paper. I didn't try for thinner as I just wanted to get this piece of oak flat.

It's still not perfect as there are a few nicks I didn't get out, you can't see them but you can feel them with your finger. I never did get the sole completely flat though, still has a hollow in the very front and very back.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Don't worry about the sole. As long as it's flat just ahead of and behind the iron it's fine on a jointer, that's why it's so long.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I took the suggestions I received here to help make this chest for catan, found a friend from work who actually had woodworking tools (and who was amazing) and made the below. I know its not up to par with a lot of the things I've seen here but I'm really happy with it. I found the chest in a thrift store, it was made in the 40's.

http://imgur.com/a/GaPnw

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

One Legged Ninja posted:

Don't worry about the sole. As long as it's flat just ahead of and behind the iron it's fine on a jointer, that's why it's so long.

Good to know, I was afraid it had to be dead flat. Even though the blade isn't quite as sharp (yet) as my British Stanley, the Siegley still cuts better, kinda hard to explain. I bet once I get the nicks out and razor sharp it'll be a nice user.

I'm curious what you guys think of these cheap Taiwanese planes? I'm looking at that iron and thinking it looks pretty beefy. Might be worth $7 to find out if the steel is any good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140768749548?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Can anyone tell me what this twisted type of baluster is called, and/or how you make one?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Prathm posted:

Can anyone tell me what this twisted type of baluster is called, and/or how you make one?

Sometimes they are made on a lathe with adjustable feeds, but I'm guessing this was made on a milling machine with a geared feed that also rotates the workpiece. The only way you're going to make one is to get a piece of round stock, a carving knife, and a shitload of sandpaper.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Prathm posted:

I suppose if you REALLY wanted to make one by "hand":

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/twisted-candle-stand/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Blistex posted:

Sometimes they are made on a lathe with adjustable feeds, but I'm guessing this was made on a milling machine with a geared feed that also rotates the workpiece. The only way you're going to make one is to get a piece of round stock, a carving knife, and a shitload of sandpaper.

you can probably rough it out on a bandsaw the same way you cut threads in wood

Cmdr. Chompernuts
Jun 6, 2004

wormil posted:

Good to know, I was afraid it had to be dead flat. Even though the blade isn't quite as sharp (yet) as my British Stanley, the Siegley still cuts better, kinda hard to explain. I bet once I get the nicks out and razor sharp it'll be a nice user.

I'm curious what you guys think of these cheap Taiwanese planes? I'm looking at that iron and thinking it looks pretty beefy. Might be worth $7 to find out if the steel is any good.

My take on plane flatness has been if a jack plane looks flat from across the room it's good. Jointer should be flat around the mouth and the long edges should be in parallel. Smoothing plane should be perfectly flat.

That is a large looking blade, but I doubt the steel is any good TBH. Why not grab a Hock blade and build the body?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Cmdr. Chompernuts posted:

Why not grab a Hock blade and build the body?

This. All you need in a plane is a thick hock blade, the rest you can work out yourself.

quote:

Plane blade-laid steel blade, is made of steel
I wouldn't.. I mean, I know its probably at least actually some sort of steel, but..

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Prathm posted:

This guy made spiral bed posts with a router and an angle grinder but it looks really, really labor intensive.

But here's how those balusters were actually made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDumrWx9cq4

Cmdr. Chompernuts
Jun 6, 2004

You could always hand carve it. Not as hard as it looks.

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2600/2603.html

Cmdr. Chompernuts fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 29, 2013

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Here is a thing I just finished. Whiskey cabinet for a friend.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Nice. If you were a GOOD friend, though, there'd already be whisky in it. ;)

I really like the design. The legs are great. (Hmmm... Could it be that I want to make furniture because I'm a leg man?)

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

mds2 posted:

Here is a thing I just finished. Whiskey cabinet for a friend.

Fantastic. I want one even though I have no whiskeys. How long have been working on it and where did you pick up your maple?

In other news, I just ordered the Veritas low angle jack. I wanted a nice plane to start shooting with that could also do other things. Frankly, I would have probably gotten the new dedicated shooting plane they just came out with if I had the patience to wait for the left handed version.

Now I need to find some nice quality birch ply to make a shooting board. Easier said than done in Northeast Arkansas. Couple weeks ago I picked up three sheets of supposedly nice stuff from a dedicated sheet goods supplier and it went crazy warped on me. It made the whole bookshelf project take much longer than it should have.

Also in the goodie bag:
1/4" PM V11 Bench Chisel
Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane
14 and 20 TPI Veritas Dovetail Saws
Some dovetail Saddle markers in a few different angles
MK II Honing Jig
1000,5000,8000 Shapton Pro Ceramic Waterstones
Leather strop and some green honing compound (although I've read bevel up plane blades are difficult to strop without worsening the edge?)
DMT Duo Sharp Fine/Coarse to flatten the water stones

Looks like I'll either love using more hand tools or you guys will have a heads up in a few months on some used like new hand tools. Finally sold a pearl I'd been sitting on a few years so I had some discretionary funds. Looking at some Gramercy rasps....Help.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
I walked into woodcraft today and they had this hanging up-

It was gorgeous, and the guy that made it is 95 year old, still going strong. Its made up of individually turned bowls, cut and joined into that form. Oh and they're all segmented too.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wormil posted:

If your only choice is to leave it outside then you could seal it with spar varnish or build a shelter over it and hope for the best. Rot resistant woods can last for years but you'll be losing a little more usable lumber each year. Eventually you'll have to resaw it and store it indoors or it will be useless.

well, at some point i will get a dude with a portable lumber mill out here, but in the meantime, I poured a quart of spar varnish over it and boy howdy that curly stuff just popped right out:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i think my master plan is to chop it off right where it starts to widen at the base. I'll take the trunk and debark it and jack it up onto some legs of as-yet-unknown design that will bear all that goddamn weight and make it into a nice outdoor table that will seat like 16.

the base, I dont know. It's that thing where redwoods grow together - it started off as two trees and merged into one. I think i'd cut it in half and see what it looks like. Maybe use one half to support each end of the table? who knows. But the important thing is that none of the cuts described here, with the possible exception of cutting the base in half, is longer than my chainsaw.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Instead of buying a toilet stool, I made one with an extra piece of stair step.

Routed the edge and put a single coat of stain/poly.

Once that dried I glued and screwed some scrap wood for legs.

Best thing was I finished it within a day.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
STUPID question time. What in the hell are the things called that go into those holes that hold up shelves? I can think of 10,000 things I could do if I had a handful of them, and right now my ghetto solution is to screw through the side of the shelf into the shelf itself. It works but obviously I don't want to have to deal with covering up screws on the side like I have been doing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shelf pegs or pins or supports or clips or something like that, depending on who/where you ask. Go to your local hardware store and look around in the parts bins. Even Home Depot or Lowe's, in the hardware section, in those wide flat pull-out drawers, grouped somewhere near the "hard to find parts" drawer (but not IN that drawer, just a drawer nearby.) There are tons of different styles and materials and such, you'll probably find even more if you go to a proper hardware store. They're generally 10 to 50 cents a piece, depending on the style and material you get.

Also, http://www.mcmaster.com/#shelving-clips/=oe0vf9

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 6, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Bad Munki posted:

Shelf pegs or pins or supports or clips or something like that, depending on who/where you ask. Go to your local hardware store and look around in the parts bins. Even Home Depot or Lowe's, in the hardware section, in those wide flat pull-out drawers, grouped somewhere near the "hard to find parts" drawer (but not IN that drawer, just a drawer nearby.) There are tons of different styles and materials and such, you'll probably find even more if you go to a proper hardware store. They're generally 10 to 50 cents a piece, depending on the style and material you get.

Also, http://www.mcmaster.com/#shelving-clips/=oe0vf9

Thanks so much! I know what I'm doing after work now.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I call them shelf pins or shelf supports. I made those ones from cherry.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I finished my tenon saw, so the matching set is complete, I've been using them pretty steady on the jewellery cabinet I'm building.

I've got the outer frame assembled dry, I started working on the pulls tonight. I'm making them out of African Blackwood. Super hard wood, I stalled my bandsaw on it a couple of times.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A few things going on...

Bought a junker Stanley, super cheap, pretty sure it's a 9 1/2 but I don't know block planes very well.

Working on some carbide lathe tools.

Made a chip carving knife last week. Haven't taken a good pic of the finished knife yet but here are some in progress.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Sweet! I'm always impressed by people who make their own tools

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Woo, got a new hand-me-down toy, a Skilsaw 10" compound mitre saw. From 1987. Love it already.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
Would it be blasphemy amidst the hand tool talk for me to ask what a good handheld battery or outlet powered multi tool would be? :ohdear:

I wanted to start making little projects or doing basic inlays and wood jewelry or engraving but I don't have the budget for a ton of varied tools (yet!) so is there a handheld dremel or multi use tool that isn't just consumer B grade junk?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Woo, got a new hand-me-down toy, a Skilsaw 10" compound mitre saw. From 1987. Love it already.

But you don't love it enough to post it's picture. :colbert:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I will later. Built a bench to bolt it to but had to go to work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Finished the lathe tools. Maple handles, 1/2" round bar, copper ferrule, carbide cutters. Hot tip, don't use round bar, it rolls if you get a catch and I've already chipped a new carbide tip.

And the carving knife. I need to grind the edge more. The front third is scalpel sharp but the back 2/3rds doesn't have an edge. It's also ridiculously big for chip carving. This will probably end up as a whittling knife and I'll make another. I made a honing disk for my drill press with 1000 grit paper on one side, 2000 grit on the other. Soon I plan to make a dedicated sharpening/honing center with one my spare motors.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ignore the clutter, I've since straightened most of it out. I took that around 4 today but gently caress my phone and trying to copy/paste a link into imgur.

And another dresser, because the wife wanted a matching set.

These pictures kinda suck but so does the lighting in my garage at 4am so they'll have to do until I'm less stoned and the sun's come up. And yes I know that my workbenches are crooked hack jobs, but when you have 1" thick plywood laying around then $12 in 2x4s and screws has me in business, and I'm a cheap motherfucker, which is also why I'm doing the whole "rustic" thing, and because it's easy. Because let's face it, I'm almost always stoned when I'm working on something, so if I gently caress something up, at least it didn't cost me $10/bf to fix a dumb stoner mistake (which so far there have been very few of). So after this little rustic binge I'm going to start looking at building mission furniture, probably chairs to start.

The bedroom smells amazing, by the way.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 8, 2013

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Does anyone know a woodshop in the DC area that opens to the public/has memberships? Preferably in the district proper.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ignore the clutter, I've since straightened most of it out. I took that around 4 today but gently caress my phone and trying to copy/paste a link into imgur.

And another dresser, because the wife wanted a matching set.

Is the dresser finished in Watco fruitwood?

I love that big rear end AM radio in the background, do you use it? My best friend's grandpa had one and we used to pick up stations from all over the world. And is that miter saw sitting on granite?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ignore the clutter

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm pretty sure you don't know what that word means. ;)

I won't post pics of my clutter because I don't want to embarrass myself.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's a clean clutter mess for me, usually I'm much, much more of a packrat.

wormil posted:

Is the dresser finished in Watco fruitwood?

I love that big rear end AM radio in the background, do you use it? My best friend's grandpa had one and we used to pick up stations from all over the world. And is that miter saw sitting on granite?

Thanks man, it's an old Silvertone, and no, it's not in use. It does work but I'm not one to fiddle with warming up vacuum tubes and whatnot. The cabinet has water damage around the base and there's some chipping and scratches to take care of all around. Thought about gutting and jamming the guts of my 15 year old receiver into it, but I'm not up to snuff on either electronics or refinishing that cabinet.

The dresser has a 10 minute coat of red oak minwax stain over the pre-treat and that's it, no poly because I'm lazy. It's mostly generic white pine from lowe's with red oak plywood for the top/sides.

And that's definitely not granite for a workbench top, that's a 4'x4' 1" thick chunk of plywood that was used to separate produce or whatnot on pallets, father-in-law works in a grocery store and brought me probably half a dozen sheets that were just going to be pitched, so I cut them in half and make 2" workbench tops from them. They're sturdy as gently caress, which is why I don't mind the legs being just a little crooked. So my workbenches are usually 2'x4'x32" or so, but you can beat on them all day without a care in the world because they only cost $25 for the pair in wood and screws to throw together.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Thought about gutting and jamming the guts of my 15 year old receiver into it, ...

:ughh:

Jeez, you're a woodworker, build something for your receiver but don't destroy that old radio.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't want to go loving this cabinet up at the very least, and I don't really care whether it works or not because it's already got a place to call home in the house that's ten feet from the closest outlet. It's not that it's a particularly rare radio or anything, but it was my great-grandparents' and I'd like to get it at least looking good again so it can chill in the house and become something the cats will sleep on.

Somewhat better shot of saw.

An old as gently caress crank phone but no handset for it.

The radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I had quite a bit of time to work on the jewellery box this weekend, I borrowed my friend's scrollsaw to try a bit of marquetry. I was going to put the year in the corner, but the text was too small and caused the saw the break the veneer up, so I stopped after the initials.

I still have to turn some ring holders, add some necklace hooks, sand and finish it. I'm thinking boiled linseed oil with a couple coats of paste wax.

Front

Inside