Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shipon posted:

How common is this lifestyle for engineers? Say, someone who is asked to go from headquarters to a site out in the field?

Pretty common. Everyone in my division travels somewhat! Two guys in my group have gotten the pick up on the tarmac perk from Delta. They routinely fly their whole family for free internationally, they are crazy.

This year I have Delta 40k MQM, still have 1 (maybe 2) international trips and several domestic so I suppose that will be gold at the end of the year.

No hotel stuff, but that happens staying in the middle of loving nowhere internationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I am going back to a Tom Bihn bag. I really want a 1 bag solution, laptop included. The tri star looks too good. Then I can retire my Timbuk2 to my daily walking commute.

And my goal this year was to start chipping away at the miles I have while they're still useful. Mission accomplished then I start getting more unexpected 5+ hr flights and they are starting to add up again!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Two nights away from Hilton Diamond and just hit US Gold. Woooo!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm booked to requal for UA Gold (thanks $450 trip to Rio de Janeiro) and am two stays away from requal for SPG Platinum. But it looks like I've got a couple of trips to Beijing coming my way next year, so hopefully I can do Platinum. I have the Presidential Plus credit card so I'm exempt from the spend requirements. :cool:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Southwest just announced that they're going to devalue their points by 10¢ starting March 2014. One of my friends is trying to dump 500,000 of them by flying his friends around at a discount or maybe by going to Vegas 71 times.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Need some help, I could use a recommendation on portable power bars and universal power adapters! Anyone have one in particular you like?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

air- posted:

Need some help, I could use a recommendation on portable power bars and universal power adapters! Anyone have one in particular you like?

I've got this one and then I carry a small four port multistrip. Fits in my laptop bag easily and all of my chargers for various devices will handle any voltage (100-240v). Not much needed past that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you get a power strip or other multi outlet solution make sure it will handle 220v. It will say on the box or on the device itself.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Woohoo, Delta's IT system screwed up and allowed me to give myself an upgrade into Business Elite on my return flight from Oktoberfest next month. All my international travel is on my own dime/miles so I've never flown international BE before. Pretty stoked.

Trip report: Holy crap, I could get used to that. 11 hour flight from Munich to Atlanta on Friday and it was basically just a continuation of our vacation. I was just slightly nervous until we were fully checked in that they were going to catch the glitch and send us to the back of the bus but nobody batted an eye. I don't know that I'd ever actually pay the like $10k the pair of tickets would have cost but damned if that wasn't the best flight I've ever taken.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
What happened? Did you get misbooked into Y/B/M and get to upgrade with miles? I have an award ticket next year in BE from ATL-NRT-SIN after doing that trip many times in coach for work I think I might be looking forward to that more than vacation itself.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Arzakon posted:

What happened? Did you get misbooked into Y/B/M and get to upgrade with miles? I have an award ticket next year in BE from ATL-NRT-SIN after doing that trip many times in coach for work I think I might be looking forward to that more than vacation itself.

I sent you a PM detailing the process. This was all miles but I've done it on purchased tickets as well.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 30, 2013

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I've been following this thread since it's inception- lots of good information. I travel for work quite a bit (130+ days a year sleeping away from home) but any air travel is spread out between multiple airlines. I drive equipment a lot, too. My crowning achievement in air miles is silver status on United.

I figured this might be a place to ask- I have some friends who are getting married. The couple work for the same company and travel extensively... 14 days on/7 off if I remember correctly. The majority of the trips are domestic air, but they occasionally travel abroad. What would be a great wedding gift, given their occupation? I'm thinking travel gadgets like solar chargers (they work in the field most of the time) or a gift certificate for travel bags, etc. Thanks in advance!

Someday I'll get better at min/maxing all my points and miles...

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Chargers and what not would be provided by the company and if they travel that much they're probably very picky in their luggage and what they want. I'd assume if they travel that much they know exactly what they want already. Just stick to the registry or even better cash.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I just scored a work trip to China in paid J. Hello Platinum. :coal:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
UA just issued a pretty massive devaluation to MileagePlus in the form of increased (in some cases, dramatically so) award prices, especially for partner metal. Earn 'em and burn em', folks.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mackieman posted:

UA just issued a pretty massive devaluation to MileagePlus in the form of increased (in some cases, dramatically so) award prices, especially for partner metal. Earn 'em and burn em', folks.
Airlines devalue their charts every few years. We were overdue from UA, AA, and US -- the latter two will probably wait until there's some resolution on the merger case.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I just took a new sales job and for now the travel will essentially be zero. US Gold through Feb 2015 though I guess... Definitely would have hit Platinum this year too.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Arg, Hertz is being a real pain about upgrading me to Presidents Circle. I've had a car with them since mid March but since I haven't returned it yet they won't credit me the days rental. So even though I have well over 120 days rented they won't upgrade my status. Which since I've been grabbing a car at the airport (different city) is a pain since I have to walk past all the nice Presidents Circle cars. :(

Hows everyone doing so far? Only a couple more months to make status!

Delta:
Segments: 138
MQMs: 96,000
Platinum (Till Monday :yotj:)

Marriott:
79 Nights
Platinum

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm 5000 SkyMiles short of Gold this year with no travel scheduled for the rest of the calendar year. Goddammit! I normally wouldn't care, but that is maddeningly close.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Massive United devaluation. Sigh.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Mackieman posted:

Hahah the guys on Flyertalk are making GBS threads bricks right now. I'm glad I booked my trip to Hawaii early!

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Pissingintowind posted:

Massive United devaluation. Sigh.

Point devaluation. Flyer friendly. I already used up my United miles earlier this year.

Edit: Oh god no, I have two ANA flights in Japan coming up that I forgot about but I can redirect that to another *A program.

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 2, 2013

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mooecow posted:

Hows everyone doing so far? Only a couple more months to make status!
I've requalified for my status on AA although I might be able to make some of their elite rewards.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TheLizard posted:

Hahah the guys on Flyertalk are making GBS threads bricks right now. I'm glad I booked my trip to Hawaii early!

Aye, they do that a lot which is why I stopped posting in the UA forum a while back. MilePoint tends to be a little more stable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Was going to make United 1K this year but the trip I needed got cancelled. Would have been 500 miles under what I needed if it had gone and I would have either bought that or done a one-day run to make it. :(

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Morby posted:

I'm 5000 SkyMiles short of Gold this year with no travel scheduled for the rest of the calendar year. Goddammit! I normally wouldn't care, but that is maddeningly close.

I am in the same boat. I have never done a mileage run before but I am seriously considering one in December.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
You guys are crazy to not do a Mileage run, especially for 1K status. Find the cheapest long haul and go for it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm so loving glad that Qatar Airlines now gets you points with AA. Those 16 hour trips are finally worth a bit less of my sanity.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I too am considering a mileage run. I need like 1000 miles for the first AA status.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Spend those AA miles before the devaluation happens!!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

sellouts posted:

You do have a little time, they're unlikely to do so with the government breathing down their back about the merger. If the merger occurs, they'll wait a bit before they introduce all the awful changes. If the merger is blocked, anything is possible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You do, but should be thinking ahead of popular travel times. The summer of 14 is closing for good saver availability, especially on partners. Holidays for 2014 will be open before we know it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Belldandy posted:

You guys are crazy to not do a Mileage run, especially for 1K status. Find the cheapest long haul and go for it.

15,000 is a lot of miles. That would have been a good trip.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I had an award reservation with United. A couple weeks after it was ticketed, I noticed the final return flight was not listed on my Reservation Summary anymore. This was a flight with their partner Asian Airlines. I got around to calling United, and apparently there was a "scheduling change" on this Asiana flight. I checked and there was what looked like the same flight, with same departure and arrival time.

The phone agent wouldn't be clear when I was questioning why I got bumped off the flight, and kept saying it was a scheduling change and its a partner and there's nothing they can do. The first agent I spoke with said that her next option was to book on a return flight TWO days later. I hung up and called back and a more competent agent found two United flights, which were actually better times (shorter layover) that got me back to my destination on the same day.

I wonder if it was BS and they just wanted to bump me off an award ticket? Or if the flight did actually get cancelled and rescheduled at the same exact time, what happened to everyone with paid tickets? loving airlines.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

sellouts posted:

I will never spend my miles. I'm sitting on like 150k southwest miles/points as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In February on Southwest it will be 70 points per dollar vs 60 points per dollar. Why give that away?

I save for big goals (explorer awards) and then try to zero out when I am ready for redemptions. Their value isn't going to go up!

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Nifty posted:

I wonder if it was BS and they just wanted to bump me off an award ticket? Or if the flight did actually get cancelled and rescheduled at the same exact time, what happened to everyone with paid tickets? loving airlines.

I'm sure they have some giant algorithm that decides these things, and even if your hypothesis was true, the lady you spoke to in India has no control over it whatsoever. You did the right thing - just keep calling back until you get the answer you want, or until a sufficient number of people have told you the same thing. Strangely, I've never had the latter scenario happen.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Nifty posted:

I had an award reservation with United. A couple weeks after it was ticketed, I noticed the final return flight was not listed on my Reservation Summary anymore. This was a flight with their partner Asian Airlines. I got around to calling United, and apparently there was a "scheduling change" on this Asiana flight. I checked and there was what looked like the same flight, with same departure and arrival time.

The phone agent wouldn't be clear when I was questioning why I got bumped off the flight, and kept saying it was a scheduling change and its a partner and there's nothing they can do. The first agent I spoke with said that her next option was to book on a return flight TWO days later. I hung up and called back and a more competent agent found two United flights, which were actually better times (shorter layover) that got me back to my destination on the same day.

While the first UA agent you spoke with was clearly not helpful, they are often at the mercy of partner carriers for space when you have bookings across metal like that. And Asiana is well known for making changes and dropping segments and then simply not telling anyone. I had two Asiana segments this last weekend and I watched them like a hawk in the weeks leading up to the trip. Chances are high that Asiana dropped the flight and either had no replacement or had no fares in the original fare bucket you booked. The second agent you got did the right thing: find other options, checking their metal first.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
e: whoops

Knitting Beetles fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I spent about a month wavering on it but at the end of the day it was looking certain that I'd end up about 1,500 miles short of Gold on Delta for next year. So I found the cheapest place to fly to from my home airport on Delta and am doing a one day turnaround. 3 hours in San Fransisco here I come. I feel kind of stupid doing a mileage run but if it gets me a single upgrade over the course of next year, or if I run in to any IROPs, it'll be worth the price.