Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I usually turn a blind eye to fan games.. but that Mother 4 game looks like a class act. I'm legit excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Wow, that has to add a new layer of hilarity to the NPC in Moonside who talks about how disgusting your favorite food is.

But in Bizarro Moonside land, digusting means delicious! I know I'm wrong about this, don't trust me :smug:

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
At least we aren't an army of useless Fobbies.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
This thread has inspired me to restart and loving finish Earthbound. I've lost count of how many times I've begun a game, dropped off because of life/work/whatever and then tried to pick it up again only to be completely lost with no idea what to do.

It sounds silly, but I really prefer to experience my games in one go rather than with long stretches between plays.

I'd prefer to do it without a walkthrough too. Is there any sort of primer I should read or some basic tips to make it a perfect experience?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'd prefer to do it without a walkthrough too. Is there any sort of primer I should read or some basic tips to make it a perfect experience?

Don't use slingshots or yo-yos, their accuracy is garbage and will completely ruin your physical attacks.

Don't be afraid to spend your PP. PSI is super powerful, and you can easily nuke random encounters with Paula's skills as long as you're not afraid to spend some of her massive pool of PP.

If you get stuck, there's a hint man in each town who will sell you a hint on where to go next. Make sure to use him if you're ever totally lost and trying to avoid looking the answer up in a guide.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

You don't get the higher levels of it until late in the game, but PSI Flash Beta and up have a chance of straight up killing monsters (including some bosses) and is dirt cheap compared to the later levels of PSI Favorite. The chance on the highest level is disproportionately massive.

PSI Hypnosis is worthless. PSI Paralysis is amazing.

PSI Shield and PSI "PSI Shield" are two different things.

Big bottle rockets, and later on Multi-Bottle Rockets are your "Get out of boss free" cards.

Abuse magic butterflies as PP sources.

Did I miss anything?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 6, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Don't use the Casey Bat, it misses 3/4 of the time. :mad:

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Radio Paranoia posted:

This thread has inspired me to restart and loving finish Earthbound. I've lost count of how many times I've begun a game, dropped off because of life/work/whatever and then tried to pick it up again only to be completely lost with no idea what to do.

It sounds silly, but I really prefer to experience my games in one go rather than with long stretches between plays.

Me, too! But now I'm stuck in the goldmine and don't really want to grind to get to a better level. :(

But, really? You want to play a game that came with a walkthrough in every box without a walkthrough?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

morcant posted:

Don't use the Casey Bat, it misses 3/4 of the time. :mad:

Unless it would make you strong enough to wipe out an enemy in the first round, since it doesn't consider accuracy when it determines if you can just beat an encounter when you walk into an enemy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Anything specific giving you trouble in the mines? General tips:
  • There's a free exit mouse in the center, and a free hotel in the shack directly outside the mine.
  • PSI heal beta cures poison
  • If you have some big bottle rockets squirreled away they can one shot the moles. You can't buy more at this point though.
  • Freeze gamma can too if you're leveled enough to have it, and Freeze beta alone will stop just short of that.
  • And as with any enemy that can't use PSI attacks, paralysis alpha renders them helpless.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 6, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

That loving Sned posted:

Unless it would make you strong enough to wipe out an enemy in the first round, since it doesn't consider accuracy when it determines if you can just beat an encounter when you walk into an enemy.

...I never knew that! Still, my main problem was Ness having it equipped in Magicant, and me being a dumb 10 year old at the time.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Cowcaster posted:

Anything specific giving you trouble in the mines? General tips:
  • There's a free exit mouse in the center, and a free hotel in the shack directly outside the mine.
  • PSI heal beta cures poison
  • If you have some big bottle rockets squirreled away they can one shot the moles. You can't buy more at this point though.
  • Freeze gamma can too if you're leveled enough to have it, and Freeze beta alone will stop just short of that.
  • And as with any single target boss, paralysis alpha renders them helpless.

I was mainly struggling with the fact that the mole has a shield that prevents physical attacks, and the PSI attacks weren't doing enough damage to quickly kill them off. I keep losing Paula or Jeff in a matter of a couple of turns, and didn't feel like trekking back to the Hospital. I don't have Freeze Gamma yet, but I'll try beta and paralysis. I think Ness is level 29 and Paula and Jeff are several levels lower.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mobius posted:

I was mainly struggling with the fact that the mole has a shield that prevents physical attacks, and the PSI attacks weren't doing enough damage to quickly kill them off. I keep losing Paula or Jeff in a matter of a couple of turns, and didn't feel like trekking back to the Hospital. I don't have Freeze Gamma yet, but I'll try beta and paralysis. I think Ness is level 29 and Paula and Jeff are several levels lower.

After I posted that I did a google and apparently paralysis actually has a really low chance of affecting them and I just got lucky using it on the one or two I didn't immediately crush. Oops.

In any case, you're almost at the exact same level I was when I cruised through there, so it shouldn't be insurmountable. Did you already take a detour to explore the desert? Poking around for goodies there will probably bring Jeff and Paula up to speed.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 6, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mobius posted:

Yeah, you can level up a bit more and get some better defensive gear in Fourside... Also, three hits will destroy any shield. Most reliable way is a couple freeze attacks though (or one big one if you've got the exp)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mobius posted:

Shield Paula or heal with Ness, guard with Jeff, Freeze Beta with Paula. The Diggers are chumps to Freeze, Gamma will one shot them but Beta will 2 shot.

Alternatively, Freeze Beta plus Favorite Alpha. GG, next mole.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In case you didn't catch on, freeze is good. Paula should use it a bunch. Freeze alpha will outdamage her bash for a long while yet.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

Radio Paranoia posted:

Is there any sort of primer I should read or some basic tips to make it a perfect experience?

Inventory space is very limited and food/healing items are plentiful. Don't worry about saving your healing items for when you "really need them." If you're down 10 HP and have an item that will heal 10 HP, just use it. I'm in the last third of the game and I've pretty much stopped using healing items in favor of PSI Lifeup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Never use HP-recovery items at all except in the very early game (before you get Paula). Lifeup is sufficient for all your HP recovery needs, and PP-recovery items are awesome.

Iron Prince posted:

poo poo, I used to be a moderator there back in the day in like 2004. MogOfGlory, if anyone can remember that far back.

Hobo Siege posted:

I remember you. Everdraed, too. Hell, I was hanging around there back when there was still some semblance of hope for Earthbound 64 to come out. Was Earthbound.net back then. Christ, that's been ages.

Catching up from months behind, but: hey! I remember you guys! :cheers:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I used to be SLing :ssh:

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Cowcaster posted:

In case you didn't catch on, freeze is good. Paula should use it a bunch. Freeze alpha will outdamage her bash for a long while yet.

Yup, just leveled up a bit and used lots of Freeze on the moles, and they were no problem at all. Now back to the game!

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

robodex posted:

I used to be SLing :ssh:

Holy gently caress.

And here I was about to ask about you and flatface because of being reminded of those days.

Old-rear end #starmen/#earthbound crew represent... and laugh at my preteen self's totally original handle of SystemVirus.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Never use HP-recovery items at all except in the very early game (before you get Paula). Lifeup is sufficient for all your HP recovery needs, and PP-recovery items are awesome.

They're rare though. Using HP recovery items is fine, but you shouldn't need them after like, Twoson.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They're rare though. Using HP recovery items is fine, but you shouldn't need them after like, Twoson.
Fill your inventory with Pizzas.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

When you get to Summers, buy one of everything and read the descriptions. They're great. :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Large Pizzas are totally worthwhile, and I typically load up on an entire inventory-full of Picnic Lunches while catching Jeff up to the team's levels at the end of his intro in Winters, just to make the trek to Saturn Valley a little easier. Large Pizzas handy for most of the game, and it's not like you have that much to spend your money on, anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Large Pizzas ARE really awesome before Poo joins, that is true. And you can speed up their delivery (or at least you could on the SNES) by saving and resetting immediately after ordering (delivery will be immediate as soon as you enter a sufficiently large area, rather than a full 3 minutes of non-battle time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Basically anytime I swing by a phone, have the cash and the space in my inventory, I dial up a large pizza and forget about it. I mean, the worst that could happen is some poor mustachioed man runs to the four corners of the earth trying to find me for my amusement. It's win-win!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Large Pizzas ARE really awesome before Poo joins, that is true.

Can't you make him like them a bit more with certain condiments?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Can't you make him like them a bit more with certain condiments?

Not really worth it. You're already talking over 200 HP recovery for everyone (except Poo); before you get Poo that's close enough to full that it's better to use inventory space on more Large Pizzas than on stupid Ketchup packets or whatever. (After you get Poo you no longer need the pizza because you have two Lifeupbots, one of whom has effectively infinite PP with DXWater/BFLs.) The only things condiments are useful for are abusing Rock Candy and the early Magic Truffle (Ketchup packets and one magic truffle = Easy Mode).

EDIT: Clarifying in case anyone doesn't know: the Rock Candy Bug works with any food/condiment combination, not just Rock Candy/Sugar Packet. I don't know if the bug was fixed for the WiiU port, but I doubt it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Personally I'd say that considering Poo ducks out soon after he joins you for the entirety of Deep Darkness, large pizzas retain their usefulness until after that too.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

EDIT: Clarifying in case anyone doesn't know: the Rock Candy Bug works with any food/condiment combination, not just Rock Candy/Sugar Packet. I don't know if the bug was fixed for the WiiU port, but I doubt it.

... :aaaaa: You are loving kidding me.

That is mindboggling. Was it just found out too late to fix or what? I had always assumed it was intentional for the Rock Candy because it's flat-out mentioned in the guide.

E: loving phone

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Grinnblade posted:

Holy gently caress.

And here I was about to ask about you and flatface because of being reminded of those days.

Old-rear end #starmen/#earthbound crew represent... and laugh at my preteen self's totally original handle of SystemVirus.

I work with him now and he's a goon but he rarely posts!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Grinnblade posted:

... :aaaaa: You are loving kidding me.

That is mindboggling. Was it just found out too late to fix or what? I had always assumed it was intentional for the Rock Candy because it's flat-out mentioned in the guide.

E: loving phone

I assume that by the time the bug was caught it was deemed much easier/cheaper/more feasible to play it off as an easter egg than to fix it. But it's definitely a bug in the battle script that causes it to delete whichever item is first in inventory, rather than checking on which one is the condiment (the 'trick', as you know, works only in battle).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Guys, I have a confession to make.

As I was going through Stonehenge, I used savestates to get the Sword of Kings.

Then, as I was just about to exit the area where Starmen Super spawn, I received a second Sword of Kings.

I can only imagine that I just stole one through some temporal wormhole from some child playing Earthbound in 1995 just mercilessly killing Starman Super after Starman Super.

edit: Also, I can't sell it :negative:

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 7, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What's the rock candy bug people keep mentioning?

Cowcaster posted:

It was me, give me a Starman Super avatar for compensation. :colbert:

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

Then, as I was just about to exit the area where Starmen Super spawn, I received a second Sword of Kings.

I can only imagine that I just stole one through some temporal wormhole from some child playing Earthbound in 1995 just mercilessly killing Starman Super after Starman Super.

poor kid :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Anatharon posted:

What's the rock candy bug people keep mentioning?

The game has a bug where if you consume [rare item] paired with [a condiment] during battle, if the condiment is higher in the inventory than the item only the condiment is consumed (when really it should consume both the condiment and item.)

This allows you to consume one-time use items (like Rock Candy and Magic Truffle) infinite times as long as you stock the inventory with ketchup/sugar/whatever condiments.

How it's supposed to work:
Eat Rock Candy + Sugar Packet, get +2 to random stat. Rock Candy and Sugar Packet are consumed.

However if you do it during a battle:
Eat Rock Candy + Sugar Packet, get +2 to random stat. Sugar Packet is consumed, but Rock Candy remains in inventory. Buy another Sugar Packet for $2 and repeat as much as you want.

It lets you buff up your skills as far as high as you're willing to grind battling and eating condiments. (Though if a stat reaches 256 it'll roll over to 0.)

less than three fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 7, 2013

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Cowcaster posted:

It was me. Thanks. :(

I'm not even joking I never got that drat sword in my life.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
The funny thing is that the sword of kings isn't that great. Big whoop +30 attack. The Mr.Baseball bat has more than that, and you get that in Dusty Dunes. The real power you get is the tons of levels you get hunting for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

^ The Sword of Kings also never misses, so there's that. Compare to the Gutsy Bat, which is awesome but also only obtainable near the end of the final dungeon and thus totally useless for anything but bragging rights.

Here's a neat thing about the search for the Sword of 128. The game checks and decides whether you will receive a present after the battle, and if so which present you will receive, at the moment you touch the enemy and initiate the battle swirl. That means--I have actually done this and some of you probably have too--you can use Spy on a Starman Super and find a Super Bomb, if you're fighting a Starman Super/Atomic Power Robot combo.

This has another extremely important implication: The game first decides which enemy might leave you a present, and then decides based on that enemy's item-dropping probability whether you will actually get said present. This means that if you fight a Starman Super alongside another enemy (Starman or APR) your chances of getting the Sword of Kings from that battle are not 1/128, but 1/256. And if you engage it with two other enemies (possible at the end of the dungeon) it's 1/384.

I got the Sword of Kings hundreds of times as a teenager and young adult--I made it a point to always get the drat thing on every playthrough--and even kept track of how many tries it took to get it. After well over a hundred trials my average was not 1 in 128, but closer to 1 in 170. I always wondered if my luck was really THAT bad. It wasn't.

So if you want that Sword of Kings soon, make it a point to fight Starman Supers alone as much as possible. My favorite spot for hunting for them is right at the beginning of the second part of the dungeon (the first area where Starman Super encounters are possible.)

• Locked thread