Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

His Divine Shadow posted:

Awesome news, I did what I should have done earlier instead of looking in stores in person like some scrub. I loving googled it and there's a finnish website that sells firespice applewood, cherry and mesquite chunks. Looks like I got my wood supply fixed now.

You're in Finland? Call my buddy Jotu at Real Texas BBQ. http://www.texasbbq.fi/

We built his custom trailer pit and supply him with smokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Crazyeyes posted:

Got my WSM set up yesterday. Thinking I'm gonna try some chicken and pork butt this weekend. Anyone have a guide/scale for how much charcoal to use for a given time length? As I understand it chicken is pretty quick relatively (2-3 hours). I would hate to waste 12-15 hours with of charcoal to do them.

I did a pork shoulder, brisket and turkey breast one year for Thanksgiving. The pork shoulder and brisket were put on early in the morning. About 3 hours before dinner time, I put the turkey on to start getting some smoke. An hour later I took the pork and brisket off to rest in a cooler, and let the temp climb to better suit the turkey.

It's not hard, just takes some planning.

As for worrying about wasting charcoal - it's cheap.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
For Labor day, I decided to cook some meat, slowly. I don't usually post in this thread, but I figured hey why not.

Started with two of these delicious pork rib cuts ($2 and change a lbs at my local Mexican butcher shop):

The scale is kind of lacking but that pan is 18" long.

I'm Greek, so naturally I covered them in salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and oregano, and let them sit in the fridge overnight seasoning.

Then I put them in the oven at 215°F for 6.5 hours, meat facing down and covered in foil. Then I mopped them with an olive oil and lemon juice mix, as is the way of my people, and finished them on the grill to get some color.

They ended up looking like this:

I wish I had more pictures, but they were consumed immediately.

I would love a smoker, but unfortunately the best I have is a grill and an oven :(

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

PhotoKirk posted:

You're in Finland? Call my buddy Jotu at Real Texas BBQ. http://www.texasbbq.fi/

:aaaaa: Until I clicked that link I always assumed Finnish was a Germanic language. Never even heard of the Uralic language family before.

And since that was totally off topic, I'll add that I'm going to try this recipe for smoked pork tenderloin tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

I realize this may not be an open invitation but if you are in the states and willing, I would gladly accept a box of cherry/hickory and would be willing to compensate you for postage by some means if you wish.

I will mail wood to whomever. USPS boxes are cheap as hell to mail internationally iirc. PM me with your info and let me know what mix you want. I can saw you off chunks or send split ~1" diameter sticks, which is what I use as I am usually too lazy to make chunks.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

bunnielab posted:

I will mail wood to whomever. USPS boxes are cheap as hell to mail internationally iirc. PM me with your info and let me know what mix you want. I can saw you off chunks or send split ~1" diameter sticks, which is what I use as I am usually too lazy to make chunks.

Woo thanks. I'll send my info along later.

To anyone with a Weber Smokey Mountain: I am, as I write this, smoking about 3 pounds of chicken parts (thighs and drums), I have read that chicken should be done at high temperatures (~275F). I can't get my 18. 5 above 225. All vents are open and the thermo ain't budging.

Using a dry water pan (foiled) with a clay pot base in it (seemed a crowd favorite when lurking vwb). Charcoal ring about half filled. I didn't think a full ring was necessary for what i was lead to believe was a 2-3 hour cook. Was this a horrific error?

I mean it is holding 225 just dandy, so I should be ok either way but I can't get it any higher. Ideas welcome.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Crazyeyes posted:

Woo thanks. I'll send my info along later.

To anyone with a Weber Smokey Mountain: I am, as I write this, smoking about 3 pounds of chicken parts (thighs and drums), I have read that chicken should be done at high temperatures (~275F). I can't get my 18. 5 above 225. All vents are open and the thermo ain't budging.

Using a dry water pan (foiled) with a clay pot base in it (seemed a crowd favorite when lurking vwb). Charcoal ring about half filled. I didn't think a full ring was necessary for what i was lead to believe was a 2-3 hour cook. Was this a horrific error?

I mean it is holding 225 just dandy, so I should be ok either way but I can't get it any higher. Ideas welcome.

Put the door on upside down and prop it up on some tongs or something so it stays cracked open. It usually will let enough air in to blast you up to 325+.

While you have the door off, gently blow on the coals. Gently, or you're going to blast your food with soot.

Should get you where you want to go.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
My labor day weekend was nothing but smoking. 22" charcoal Weber. Saturday was turkey legs and a chicken. Sunday was brisket. Monday was coho, king salmon, and steelhead that was caught on Sunday.

They gave me a bunch of fish I smoked yesterday in my electric. Honestly I prefer not using charcoal.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Doing a butt tonight into tomorrow. What is the best rub ever? Gonna do it over Apple.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

Doing a butt tonight into tomorrow. What is the best rub ever? Gonna do it over Apple.

I'm a fan of stealing Chris Lilly's rub and injection although I use more black pepper:

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Crazyeyes posted:

I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub, but since you're doing it tonight, well, try the recipe above!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Ok so update on my first butt... it is not going well.

Keeping temperature steady has proved more difficult than previously expected. it dipped all the way down to 180 sometime during the night. 10 minutes from now will mark the 12 hour mark (7.5lb shoulder so the 1.5 hrs/lb thing has come and gone). I just measured it and have internal temp of ~165. I have the vessal back up to ~225 but am not sure how much longer I should let it go. I am worried it will start to dry out and getting it up to 200 seems a long off objective.

I have not foiled it yet, as I am not sure how/when/under what conditions that should be done.

This is for tonight, btw. I'd like it pulled and prepped by 7 tonight if possible so there is time to mess with it still, but not much if I want to give it resting time before pulling.

Advice gladly appreciated.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Butts often take much longer than 1.5 hours / pound in my experience, especially if they are over 5 pounds. If the internal temp is approx 165 it is in the stall, which is normal, and will stay there for quite a while. You don't have to worry about it drying out. You can wrap it in foil now to accelerate the stall with no ill effects. Once the stall is finished it will climb to 190 pretty quickly, which is when I would take it off. 200 is fine too, it's just a preference thing.

Don't worry about the bbq temp dropping overnight too much - they only thing that did was slow your cook down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It can always be finished in the oven if you're tight on time

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Definitely wrap it in foil immediately. Put a little bit of apple juice at the bottom of the foil. You can still pull it at 190 or 195, but 200 is the magic number at least in my opinion.

I'm doing a 10 lb bone-in shoulder tonight and I'm budgeting about 16 hours for the process. Last time I way underestimated the time and we didn't end up eating until 10 PM :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I would foil it now to get it out of the stall, and let it get up to 190 or so. Pull the foil at 190 and let it raise slowly to 195-200 if you want a good bark.

If it gets up to 205 and its more than a couple hours early, pull it, rewrap in foil, and then towels and put it in a cooler. Let it rest until its time to carve it up.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

stuck my probe in somewhere else, the bastard jumped 10 degrees.

Foiled it and back in it went.

20 degrees to the 200 mark. Gods help me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What causes the stall?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Scott Bakula posted:

What causes the stall?

This sums it up nicely.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
We smoking pheasant and lamb tomorrow, any suggestions on the birds? "Wrap it in bacon" comes up a lot

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

coronaball posted:

Definitely wrap it in foil immediately. Put a little bit of apple juice at the bottom of the foil. You can still pull it at 190 or 195, but 200 is the magic number at least in my opinion.

I'm doing a 10 lb bone-in shoulder tonight and I'm budgeting about 16 hours for the process. Last time I way underestimated the time and we didn't end up eating until 10 PM :(

I'm no BBQ guru, and I've only cooked a couple of butts on my WSM, but I haven't ever injected mine or added any kind of liquid and they have come out delicious.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Crazy Dutchman posted:

I'm no BBQ guru, and I've only cooked a couple of butts on my WSM, but I haven't ever injected mine or added any kind of liquid and they have come out delicious.

I never did either, then I started injecting and wrapping at 155 and I've never gone back. It makes a good thing even better!

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Dukket posted:

We smoking pheasant and lamb tomorrow, any suggestions on the birds? "Wrap it in bacon" comes up a lot

Late reply but, I've never smoked pheasant, I know it dries out really damned fast. I would certainly try wrapping in bacon. Please let us know how yours turn out and your process, I'm very interested. Smoking is supposed to be one of the best ways to prepare pheasant.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wrapping is optional if you're tight on time, but everyone should be injecting their butt. Seriously. It's the best.

E: Yes I realize exactly how that sentence sounds. :shepface:

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

Wrapping is optional if you're tight on time, but everyone should be injecting their butt. Seriously. It's the best.

E: Yes I realize exactly how that sentence sounds. :shepface:

Tight on time :(

This isn't going to go well, but we'll do something

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

coronaball posted:

I never did either, then I started injecting and wrapping at 155 and I've never gone back. It makes a good thing even better!

I may try it. I just know that the first time I smoked something, all the different ways of doing BBQ made me a little anxious about 'doing it right.'

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Every thing turned out well

First of all never spend money on this piece of poo poo, it was free to me and with a little modding it works, but its a bad, bad design. Its not as terrible for shorter smokes, like bird, but still.

Some friends of ours are Chinese and really wanted to recreate these lamb kababs from north western China. They were good and I hope we make them again

This is some King a friend caught Saturday, he salted it, press some fresh dill into it and we smoked it, paid zero attention to temp or time. Apple is all I have atm. We accidentally took it off at the right time, it was good.

Here is the Pheasant - some wrapped in bacon. The rub 3 sprigs rosemary minced, 2 cloves garlic , little thyme, s&p. We used one hunk of apple wood and about half of the rosemary you see in the pic for smoke. I tried the snake method for the first time - I like it. We took them off around 140 and put them over hot coals for about 14ish min

Here some pears and peaches we coated in sugar and cardamom.

The lamb, which I didn't get a pic of came off at 135. Rub - 1 part cracked black mustard seed 1 part cracked Brown mustard seed. 4ish garlic cloves, S and P, Sprig or 2 of rosemary.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 9, 2013

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

My wife brought home some beef back ribs from the local farmers market today to experiment with, they've got about 2-3 inches of meat between each bone but not really anything to speak of above or below that. I haven't done anything with beef ribs in a long time and even https://amazingribs.com isn't giving me a whole lot of help.

So, anyone have some good advice? I'm sort of leaning toward doing them with a mix of pecan and cherry wood for the smoke but I can't decide on what temp to bring em to since there isn't a lot of meat to play with on the suckers.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Safety Engineer posted:

My wife brought home some beef back ribs from the local farmers market today to experiment with, they've got about 2-3 inches of meat between each bone but not really anything to speak of above or below that. I haven't done anything with beef ribs in a long time and even https://amazingribs.com isn't giving me a whole lot of help.

So, anyone have some good advice? I'm sort of leaning toward doing them with a mix of pecan and cherry wood for the smoke but I can't decide on what temp to bring em to since there isn't a lot of meat to play with on the suckers.

Take the membrane off just like you would with pork ribs. If you use the Amazing Ribs guy's beef rub, don't go too heavy with the rub. I usually coat the poo poo out of my pork ribs with rub, but I tried the same with beef ribs and it was a spice overload. Make sure you stay at 225 the entire time, higher temps make beef ribs super tough. I don't even take a temp; I just look for doneness starting after about 4 hours by checking if the end of the bone starts protruding, if the meat cracks when you pick it up with tongs, or simply by sawing one off and having a taste.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Having tried similar beef back ribs on the smoker, with no meat on or above the bone, and all meat in between the bones, I say it's not worth the time or effort to smoke them. You aren't going to get much meat per bone in an ideal case, and because the mass of meat between the bones is so small, you'll need to be careful to keep it from drying out before the meat hits a proper ~190. Untrimmed loin or chuck ribs, the elusive dinosaur ribs, are much better for smoking.

That is to say that those trimmed beef back ribs are good to toss in if you're ever braising some short ribs or making beef broth, and some people apparently grill them.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I tried beef short ribs for the first time yesterday, they came out... alright. Some were extremely fatty, others were almost 100% beef, but most of what I've read says you can't really avoid that. As the guy above me said, don't go too heavy on the rub, I used amazingribs guy's rub (the amount I usually put on pork) and it was indeed overload.

I also had a bit of a temperature snafu, which I think caused them to be underdone. I learned in the middle of the smoke that the dome thermometer on the top of my WSM is basically completely broken. Normally it reads about 10 or so degrees hotter than the grill grate temperature, so I figured it was alright holding at about 240. In fact I did a shoulder and pork ribs about three weeks ago and they came out beautiful, so the gauge must have broken somehow between then and now. The ribs skyrocketed from 80 to 140 in like an hour, so my friend brought over his grill grate thermometer and it turns out the grate temp was almost 300. So I choked everything off until it was 210 and finished the cook at around 5pm, but I think the damage was done and they were all hosed up by that point. Still tastey, but not nearly as tender as they should have been, and rub craziness, so yea. I'll definitely try them again, though. I also have to buy a grill grate thermometer :argh:

Here's a pick of them about 3/4 of the way done.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys, I probably would have added too much rub without giving it a second thought.

I get the feeling now that I'd be disappointed with the end results if I did a standard cook on the the back ribs. I took another look at them last night when I was in the fridge and realized they were even bonier than I initially thought, for some reason I didn't notice that the bone was exposed on the tops of almost each rib :smith:.

I did see an idea for cutting them down in to 2-3 inch segments in order make kind of a bastard version of riblets.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone done deer on their smoker? I got a number buddy getting me some cuts and don't know how best to do it. Just jerky? A whole roast? :iiam:

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

Anyone done deer on their smoker? I got a number buddy getting me some cuts and don't know how best to do it. Just jerky? A whole roast? :iiam:

I have not, but smoking generally lends itself to cuts with lots of fat/connective tissue, and deer is generally pretty lean. I'm not sure if I'd try smoking it.
Now, if you get some backstrap, chicken fry it and its delicious.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Crazyeyes posted:

I bet you could wrap a tenderloin in bacon, and smoke it at a higher heat and it would turn out decent. Like Crazy Dutchman said, it's pretty lean, so you'd have to be careful with it.

What about a neck roast? That might be pretty good smoked.

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
Quick help!!

I have a crappy charcoal grill with an offset smoker.

this is my first time using the smoker and it seems all the complaints about these are true. I'm having trouble keeping it at 225. I keep filling the firebox but its a real pain in the rear end.

would it make sense to keep them on the smoke for a few hours and then finish them in the oven or should I lay coals into the actual grill and finish them over the coals?

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

What's the meat? How long has it been going already?

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
Sorry should have given more details.

They're pork ribs and they've been on for about an hour.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I know its probably too late but I'd give them 2 hours of smoke, wrap in foil and put em in the oven at 250 until they hit 190 internal and sear on a hot grill to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm trying my first Pork Shoulder, just the Picnic half. It's 4 pounds and I'm smoking it Sunday. Planning on 6 hours in the smoke at 225ish, followed by a drop in the oven if necessary. Any tips?