Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Gaseous Snake posted:

Can I play my Genesis games on the Wii U? I know they're not in the Wii U's VC but isn't there like, a Wii channel on the Wii U?

Yep. The Wii mode on the Wii U is identical to the Wii console except there's no WiiConnect 24, Nintendo Channel, or settings menu that is specific to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
We already lost superior pointer controls to dual analogue, don't be surprised when they come for the touch next.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

.TakaM posted:

I would love for a KI:U sequel on WiiU, I would have loved for the original KI:U to be on the Wii, because aiming with the wii remote would be ideal.

Theres no reason at all a Wii U version of KI:I couldnt use the Wii Remote, especially since Sakurai seems to have a fetish for control options.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sensor bar: You only need one sensor bar between the two, provided it is at least powered by one of the consoles, or if you have a wireless sensor bar you don't have to worry at all.
Doesn't the Wii U come with a sensor bar?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Chaltab posted:

Doesn't the Wii U come with a sensor bar?

It seems that not every bundle in every region has one... I think. The GamePad IS a sensor bar, though!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

So, a combination of two unique events occurring less than three hours apart from one another yesterday has brought me to cancel my PS4 pre-order and use the expandable cash from my next paycheck to buy a Wii U and some games instead.

These two events were:

1) The person who bought me Rayman Legends on Steam got her Paypal account locked and got all her purchases from the last week or so charged back. Those purchases included Rayman Legends, so that game was rudely taken away from me. :(
2) I found out about that gorgeous Ganondorf Statue that comes with the special edition of Wind Waker HD. And it's only 5 bucks extra? Whoa!

I won't have money to buy the console itself for another couple of weeks, but I might as well secure my purchases of these two games (especially Wind Waker) just to be sure I can get my hands on them!

Oh, the Wii U version of Rayman Legends is the most expensive one? Ah well, it's only €5 extra and it's supposedly the best version anyway. At least I'm not getting charged $60 like the people overseas. :unsmith:

God Dammit Nintendo. :arghfist::(

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 7, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JordanKai posted:

2) I found out about that gorgeous Ganondorf Statue that comes with the special edition of Wind Waker HD. And it's only 5 bucks extra? Whoa!

I want that statue so badly but it's a GAME exclusive (:psyduck:) in the UK, so I can't get it through my usual import store. There's not even word of an Aussie release of the damned thing :negative:.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

romanowski posted:

Hey you guys remember the summer (fall) update? Do we have any idea what's coming with that other than faster loading times? If it's taking this long they've got to be adding a bunch of features and stuff... right??? :ohdear:

I know they are integrating the 3DS to Miiverse this Fall. Maybe everything will be bound by your Nintendo Network account rather than the specific system in the future. :ohdear:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want that statue so badly but it's a GAME exclusive (:psyduck:) in the UK, so I can't get it through my usual import store. There's not even word of an Aussie release of the damned thing :negative:.

Honestly, I have zero interest in buying Wind Waker HD at full price (sure it looks nice, but the original game still does too, so I'm happy to just replay my GCN disc for now) but I'd pay up to the $78 EB are asking for the game if it was the special edition with the G. Dorf figurine. Shame it's GAME only in the UK after the Skyward Sword/Xenoblade/Last Story special editions being general releases. I'd throw that much at OGS to get it.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Box of Bunnies posted:

Honestly, I have zero interest in buying Wind Waker HD at full price (sure it looks nice, but the original game still does too, so I'm happy to just replay my GCN disc for now) but I'd pay up to the $78 EB are asking for the game if it was the special edition with the G. Dorf figurine. Shame it's GAME only in the UK after the Skyward Sword/Xenoblade/Last Story special editions being general releases. I'd throw that much at OGS to get it.

The statue got me too, I was firmly in a "wait for the price to drop" box until I saw the preorder bonus statue. :fsmug:

I'm really hoping for a similar treatment for A Link Between Worlds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Box of Bunnies posted:

OGS have said they're trying to get ahold of it, but I don't have high hopes.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

So, Goons. It seems like Wind Waker HD's OST got a face lift after all.

http://flanoirbunny.tumblr.com/post/60422679967/so-i-was-watching-this-footage-of-wind-waker-hd

Beyond happy about this. Just a few more weeks...

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Looking at existing and upcoming games, I can see why the Wii U hate thread is on the first page. What was Nintendo thinking releasing a console with this weak of a line up? Even looking at the releases for q4 2013 and 2014 the only titles I would want are Smash Brothers (but I will probably get that on 3ds) and Mario Kart. I don't go in much for remakes, so the Wind Waker re-release doesn't do much for me. For me this cycle, the 3ds is the Wii-U's biggest competitor. Maybe I will pick up a Wii U right before they drop wii backwards compatibility.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

keyvin posted:

Looking at existing and upcoming games, I can see why the Wii U hate thread is on the first page. What was Nintendo thinking releasing a console with this weak of a line up?

That's a question you can ask about every single console launch ever.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

keyvin posted:

Looking at existing and upcoming games, I can see why the Wii U hate thread is on the first page. What was Nintendo thinking releasing a console with this weak of a line up? Even looking at the releases for q4 2013 and 2014 the only titles I would want are Smash Brothers (but I will probably get that on 3ds) and Mario Kart. I don't go in much for remakes, so the Wind Waker re-release doesn't do much for me. For me this cycle, the 3ds is the Wii-U's biggest competitor. Maybe I will pick up a Wii U right before they drop wii backwards compatibility.

Uh, what? Like, I can easily understand why you would be underwhelmed by the launch lineup, but from launch to titles that will be out at the end of the year, we have NSMBU and SM3D World, DKC: Tropical Freeze, ZombiU, Monster Hunter, Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Sonic: Lost World, Lego City Undercover, a collection of ports from the previous year (Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Most Wanted U, Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2, Sonic Racing, etc.), and multiplats from this year (Watch Dogs, Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed 4, Rayman Legends, CoD: Ghosts, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, etc). And that's not even considering things for next year, like Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc.

Sure, the exclusive lineup isn't going to blow you away if you're not a Nintendo fan to start with, but all things considered, it's in pretty good shape for a year on the market. I mean, what did the 360 have by this point? Gears, and a collection of poorly optimized ports? The PS3?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
"The Wii U has no games" is a thing that is stuck in some people's minds, even though it hasn't been true for a while.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Random Stranger posted:

It really comes down to the fact that they tried to go fat launch day instead of consistent launch year and that it was missing a killer app. NES had Mario Bros. SNES had Super Mario World. N64 had Mario 64. Gamecube had Smash Bros. Melee. Wii had Wii Sports. Wii U has... Mario Kart 8 in spring of 2014?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
As much as I think the WiiU lineup is good now, saying its ok because previous generations sucked is such a lovely argument. It took them a year and they botched almost everything leading up to this point, and Nintendo is the oldest competitor.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

As much as I think the WiiU lineup is good now, saying its ok because previous generations sucked is such a lovely argument. It took them a year and they botched almost everything leading up to this point, and Nintendo is the oldest competitor.

Who said it's okay? My point was that saying that it sucks because of the first year games line up is a bad argument because every single console ever had the exact same problem. There's plenty of other issues with how Nintendo has handled things without resorting to "releasing a console with this weak of a line up". I could say the exact same thing about the PS4 and the the Bone (though I won't because I know console life spans are a marathon even though everyone wants them to be a sprint).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Dreamcast :colbert:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ok, I'm on the 3ds, so I will keep it short. Until late 2014, The wii u is only getting two games I am interested in, one of which is also coming out on 3ds. The wii had an original zelda game that launched year 1 iirc. It does boil down to having that one killer game for me. The only real draw of the console is that for the forseeable future, its the platform for gba games if i don't do :files:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, what was that great Dreamcast line up in August of 99, ten months after it launched and a month before it came out in the US? :colbert:

In a strange way, the US really benefited from not being the first market that Japanese console manufacturers launched in. It was like we got all the bonuses of buying the console two years into its run... by actually getting the console two years into its run. :v:

Edit: I needed to know if a movie was available on one of the three streaming services I have so I launched TVii for the second time ever. Besides noting how terrible the interface is (somehow worse than the interfaces used for Amazon, Hulu, or Netflex), I spotted that the top of the most popular movies list was The Wizard.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 8, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Only because they held it back for the US/EU. The Japanese launch was three games, including a really lovely Godzilla game and a sound novel.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Artix posted:

I mean, what did the 360 have by this point? Gears, and a collection of poorly optimized ports? The PS3?

Gears of War wouldn't even be out yet. That came out a year later in November 2006.

PS3 had Resistance (Launch), Motorstorm (March '06), Heavenly Sword (Sept. '07) as my favorite games in the first year. 360 had Project Gotham Racing 3 and Perfect Dark Zero as my launch games, then I didn't get anything until Dead Rising in September '06.

I am just skeptical about a lot of these unproven franchises coming out for the XBO and PS4, which is maybe why I'm more excited about a new 3D World or Donkey Kong Game. For every good launch game like Resistance we got about a dozen like Lair or Genji: Days of the Blade with the famous "giant enemy crab"

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

keyvin posted:

Ok, I'm on the 3ds, so I will keep it short. Until late 2014, The wii u is only getting two games I am interested in, one of which is also coming out on 3ds. The wii had an original zelda game that launched year 1 iirc. It does boil down to having that one killer game for me. The only real draw of the console is that for the forseeable future, its the platform for gba games if i don't do :files:

So you know the Wii U's complete lineup for the next 16 months? That's pretty cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

keyvin posted:

The Gamecube got the same Zelda game as the Wii so it would be a bit silly to buy a Wii just for it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I just checked out how some of the Miiverse communities were doing. They are honestly getting more attention than I thought they would. I thought they would be mostly abandoned but people were using their TVii app quite a bit for football.

Now if they only had the NHL Network...

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Who said it's okay? My point was that saying that it sucks because of the first year games line up is a bad argument because every single console ever had the exact same problem. There's plenty of other issues with how Nintendo has handled things without resorting to "releasing a console with this weak of a line up". I could say the exact same thing about the PS4 and the the Bone (though I won't because I know console life spans are a marathon even though everyone wants them to be a sprint).

I honestly still didn't read your response as what you typed out here. You said you "could say that about any new console launch" and that's why I replied the way I did.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I just checked out how some of the Miiverse communities were doing. They are honestly getting more attention than I thought they would. I thought they would be mostly abandoned but people were using their TVii app quite a bit for football.

Now if they only had the NHL Network...

Miiverse is really active and I still check it a lot to see what people are drawing. The Art Academy Miiverse is pretty much the best thing ever.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I really like my Wii, but drat they sure did capture lightning in a bottle with Wii Sports. Although I play the enhanced version on Sports Resort, I'm still playing Wii Bowling every once in awhile. I think they really screwed up not using the base game to make Mario Bowling with upgrades and RPG elements. Honesty, they should just make this for Wii U and pack it with a Wii Remote +. If they could come up with a cool gimmick for the screen, they could make the true sequel to Wii Sports.

Help Im Alive posted:

Miiverse is really active and I still check it a lot to see what people are drawing. The Art Academy Miiverse is pretty much the best thing ever.

These (especially testosterone powerup Yoshi) are incredible err I mean, those are nice Cherries.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The frustrating thing about the Wii U launch is that Nintendo listened to the wrong people. There are a lot of media pundits obsessed with Launch Day lineup and Nintendo listened. The launch day selection was awesome. The problem came that nothing was released from December 14 until March 5. That's really bad. Nintendo should have stressed a consistent launch stream with new games every week instead of blowing their load on the first two weeks.

We can expect 22 releases for the rest of the year. 22 in four months beats the hell out of the time it took to release 22 games prior, which was a period of March 5 to September 3.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The frustrating thing about the Wii U launch is that Nintendo listened to the wrong people. There are a lot of media pundits obsessed with Launch Day lineup and Nintendo listened. The launch day selection was awesome. The problem came that nothing was released from December 14 until March 5. That's really bad. Nintendo should have stressed a consistent launch stream with new games every week instead of blowing their load on the first two weeks.

We can expect 22 releases for the rest of the year. 22 in four months beats the hell out of the time it took to release 22 games prior, which was a period of March 5 to September 3.

Now I love my Wii U and all, but this is just silly. Nintendo should have held back finished games just to create the illusion of a steady trickle of games? Which releases should they even hold back? The only big launch titles were Nintendo Land, NSMBU and ZombiU-- all important launch day releases (a new Wii Sports, a non-Wii Sports first party title, and a big third party exclusive).

Also keep in mind the massive delays for nearly all the big early 2013 games. Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Rayman Legends, and Wonderful 101 were all, at one point or another, supposed to come out as Wii U exclusives before March. It was the delays on those games that contributed to the drought, not the lack of delays on launch games.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wii U needs Kirby Air Ride U.

Just put it into my Wii to play it and hot drat I loved every second of it. I would shell out hundreds of dollars to play a bigger version of that.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The Wii U's lineup is really anemic still, sorry. Every time I walk past the Wii U section at the huge EB Games here in Toronto I notice they literally have to put some games on the rack in multiple places in order to actually fill the racks. This is the biggest EB Games in the country that has a ton of really hard-to-find games (it still has a PS2 section for chrissake) yet the Wii U section can barely fill one rack of games.

I'm sure it will get better eventually but you're fooling yourself if you think the Wii U actually has a sizeable library for it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

e: This isn't the Wii U bashing thread, sorry!

I hope Sonic Lost Worlds turns out as good as it looks.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 8, 2013

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Remember when the 3DS was doomed?

Good times.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Deviljhoshi? That would be the best powerup.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a thread for Art Academy posts? Some of the best things I've been doing with my Wii U lately is lurking the Miiverse Boards for awesome posts and a PYF Thread for miiverse bits would be pretty fun.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Gamecube got the same Zelda game as the Wii so it would be a bit silly to buy a Wii just for it.

The Wii version actually released before the GC version did :eng101:

And Melee was not a launch title for GC. It felt like an eternity passed before it came out (it was only a month or two). The "biggest" launch title for GC was probably Luigi's Mansion. Ponder that.

I would say historically Nintendo doesn't launch very well or have particularly strong first years, but also their systems are always worth purchasing eventually. I couldn't be bothered to pick up a WiiU when it launched but this holiday season I'll definitely be getting one for WWHD, Pikmin 3, Luigi U, ZombieU, and maybe some combination of 3D Mario and Donkey Kong's Tropical Smoothie.

For some reason I thought Mario Kart was coming out this year, though. That's a slight disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The Nintendo 64 had the best launch ever. 100% of its launch games were good.

• Locked thread